University of Miami, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know from past years what percentage of students end up being able to transfer campuses from FAU to Miami or vise versa? im tryin to assess my chances of being able to successfuly transfer to Miami so i can start looking for housing....

Members don't see this ad.

What lender are you getting your stafford load from? It says on the Miami financial aids page that the interest rate on a stafford loan is 6.8%. Is that the same rate for all lenders or only from Miami?

Jon...last year 100% of students were able to transfer between campuses, HOWEVER, Dr. H told us in an email that there are much more requests to transfer this year than last year, so the percentage rate might not be the same!

Members don't see this ad :)
To anyone going to the Miami campus with a pet/dog OVER 30 lbs....housing will be a b****!! I found a couple of places that accept my 60 lb boxer....but most places don't accept pets over 25 lbs IF they accept dogs/pets at all!!

Edit: I ALSO had a problem bc my dog is a boxer, apparently she's on the top "bite" list for Broward and Dade county....THOUGH she's ALSO in the top 3 to have around kids....strange how that works!

so who off of sdn (like the people who posted on this thread and the florida schools interview thread) is going to miami?

everyone on this thread obviously.

McMD said:
everyone on this thread obviously.

Hey-- saw your wedding pics... Congrats!! You look gorgeous (clearly the most important part of the wedding).

unfrozencaveman said:
Hey-- saw your wedding pics... Congrats!! You look gorgeous (clearly the most important part of the wedding).
Thanks frozey! I had an absolutely wonderful time and I felt like a princess-definitely the most important part. I am so sad that it's all over!! I have been procrastinating on preserving my dress because I just want to put it on and do it all over again (with the same man of course)!!! I used to not recommend weddings bc of the pain in the *** it is to plan them, but they are SO much fun that it is well worth the hassle!!!

On a side note: one of our guests attended the Bacardi wedding (yes, as in Bacardi Rum) at the exact same location that our wedding was at, and ours was done for a FRACTION of the cost-and the guest just went on and on about how much more beautiful ours was-just to prove that you can have a dream wedding on a budget!! :)

Inflames, do you have a back-up school??

inflamesdjk02 said:
Yeah. I'm enrolled at Cincinnati for the time being.
Ok good!

Hey Jon and McMD-- I'm trying to transfer to the Miami campus too. I wonder if we are the entire list of transfers??? I just hope it was like last year, and there's about a month till July 1, so I think it will happen. I just put my "application" in two days ago, so I bet I'm behind both of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you want to go to the Miami campus and not the Boca campus. I'm just wondering since I'll be attended the FAU campus and like living in Boca.

jon0013 said:
congrats...which campus?

Thanks dude. I'm at Boca for now, but I don't know if I want to switch or not. I still have to talk w/ the family to make my final decision (between Cincinnati and Miami) ... also, seeing as I live in Ohio, I have no idea how I'm going to get all my stuff down there, etc. I might fly down with my parents next week to look around for housing ... any information on where to look?

at your service-I'm at the Miami campus now..they transfered me like a month ago....I requested it back in Feb. though.

Methamike-I chose to transfer to Miami mainly bc of my husband-he's in the Navy and is hoping to get recruiting duty in Miami for years 2-4 so that we can be together....he wouldn't be able to get duty in Boca then Miami obviously...and even if he doesn't get recruiting duty and gets out of the Navy completely next year-it would be easier for him to find one job in Miami, then having to find a job in Boca, then again in Miami....we've been doing long distance for so long with him being overseas, etc...that we are both doing whatever we can to be in the same city!!

Inflames-congrats from the bottom of my heart, I know you've been anxious to get your acceptance!! I was just in Miami this past week finding a place to live...I'm all set on a place since my 60lb boxer limited my decision A LOT!!....but I picked up an apartment guide at Publix down there and it was a GREAT help!! I can mail it to you if you want it-I wrote in it (with yes's and no's as to whether then accept my dog)-but other than that, it works!! Also, if you go to www.isrealty.com and get their contact information, they help you find a place to live for free-they don't go through apartment complexes, but they search their own properties (condos, etc) that are for rent-they were really nice and helpful! And lastly, since you won't get your "university of Miami interview" discount at surrounding hotels anymore, there was a Hampton Inn right off of US-1 in Coral Gables that was $119/night and really nice...they are located pretty centrally to everything-Brickell, Jackson, I-95, Kendall, etc....that was just a reccomendation if you needed it, since I wasn't about to stay at the Marriott which was like $250/night without our interview discount!! Good luck apartment searching!!

And for anyone that has a large dog, if you need reccomendations for places that allow large dogs, let me know...I called 50 places and found SIX that allowed my dog!! CRAZY!! :rolleyes:

Oops, I just gave you all the Miami information and you are going to Boca, sorry man. But I do think the apartment guide encompasses Boca, I'd have to check!

McMD said:
Oops, I just gave you all the Miami information and you are going to Boca, sorry man. But I do think the apartment guide encompasses Boca, I'd have to check!

Haha, don't worry about it!

Does anyone know of any cool places to live in Boca Raton that are around 800/month? What about roommate situations? It seems like getting a place to live by yourself would be kinda pricey...

inflamesdjk02 said:
Haha, don't worry about it!

Does anyone know of any cool places to live in Boca Raton that are around 800/month? What about roommate situations? It seems like getting a place to live by yourself would be kinda pricey...

There should be a Yahoo Group that has postings from people who are looking for roommates. I don't have the URL, but Hinkley should be able to give you the link. You can also send him an email to forward to the rest of the incoming FAU students; that's how I met my roommate. As far as apartments go, Boca can get very expensive unless you do a lot of looking. Many of my classmates live off of Military Trail and easily pay $800 a month for rent. Several others had to hire real estate agents to find more obscure places such as condos for rent. If you are looking to buy, there are condos for $220,000 in Boca and in the immediately surrounding cities. Your best option is to come spend a few days looking around the area to see if you find anything that captures your interest.

Alright, I'm leaving town tomorrow. I will have limited access to the Internet over the course of the next month. Have a great summer, everyone.

Hey deuist...if you get this before you leave....I have an "anal" question. So, I've been studying up on biochem since I didn't take it in undergrad, and I was just wondering how in depth we need to "review" before school starts-like am I behind since I didn't take it, and therefore should I pretty much know everything they told us to study? And lastly....I heard a few schools give tests on the first day of class, I really hate when schools do that, does Miami? Ok, now you all know how crazy I am....I'm actually studying biochem on a friday night and I'm not even in school!! I'm such a nerd...I really apologize!!...I just hate feeling "behind" and don't want to feel that way the first day of class when everyone else has taken biochem except me!! :(

By the way, Inflames, there IS a yahoo group for finding roommates....if you go to www.med.miami.edu, click on "students" and then "incoming freshman," then there is a whole page on "finding a place to live in Boca/Miami." Also, there's important info on the incoming freshman page like deposit, etc...so I'd check it out if you haven't already!

inflamesdjk02 said:
Thanks, McMD!

And stop studying already! ;)

Is the link for the Yahoo group noted on the link you posted?
I know, right. I can't help it...I have to always be "completing" something-now that the wedding is over, I found a place to live in Miami, and my husband is gone for a month...I'm bored and anal and so now my task is to study.

McMD said:
I know, right. I can't help it...I have to always be "completing" something-now that the wedding is over, I found a place to live in Miami, and my husband is gone for a month...I'm bored and anal and so now my task is to study.

I think I know how you feel! This is the longest period of free time that I've had since the summer after my senior year in high school, and needless to say ... I'm not sure I like it. Most of my buddies are gone so I don't even go out that often. Maybe I'll take up fishing again.

Anyways, I plan on going down to the Boca Raton area within the next month to scope out some places to live ... if there's anyone interested in having me as a roommate, by all means, let me know. I don't feel like paying 1500/month and having to eat hot dogs and fruit punch for every meal to save money!

McMD said:
Hey deuist...if you get this before you leave....I have an "anal" question. So, I've been studying up on biochem since I didn't take it in undergrad, and I was just wondering how in depth we need to "review" before school starts-like am I behind since I didn't take it, and therefore should I pretty much know everything they told us to study? And lastly....I heard a few schools give tests on the first day of class, I really hate when schools do that, does Miami? Ok, now you all know how crazy I am....I'm actually studying biochem on a friday night and I'm not even in school!! I'm such a nerd...I really apologize!!...I just hate feeling "behind" and don't want to feel that way the first day of class when everyone else has taken biochem except me!! :(

I took biochem in college and don't think that any of it actually helped for med school. For our med class, we had to memorize a bunch of steps for reactions such as glycolysis and the Krebs Cycle and then theorize what diseases would arise if any of the steps got thrown off.

Your first exam will be two weeks into school. It will cover cell biology, histology, 1/2 of the genetics course, and 1/2 of biochem (the physical biochem block). MBL, the first module, is by far the hardest module you will take your first year, especially if you do not have a strong bio background. The good news is that once you survive the first two rounds of exams, the material gets easier. Putting the hardest class first is a kind of sick joke that the administration plays on the freshmen

Stop studying and enjoy the rest of your summer. Also, don't worry about purchasing textbooks just yet. I don't recall ever using any of the recommended books for MBL. You can pick up Lippincott's Illustrated Review of Biochemistry. It is the text for our class and does a decent job of explaining the subject. I would recommend that you stay away from the larger books such as Lehninger.

That makes me feel better, thanks deuist.

Miami accepts AP credits for their class requirments like chem I or bio I, right?

methamike said:
Miami accepts AP credits for their class requirments like chem I or bio I, right?
From Miami's website:

"AP credits are accepted and can be used to satisfy requirements for English, biology, and inorganic chemistry, as long as the credits appear on a college transcript and are verified by AMCAS."

Hi there - has anyone heard anything about UM Waitlist movement ... esp at FAU campus?

I know of two kids who got in as of a week/two ago ... one per campus.

I'm also WLed at Pitt, but am hoping to end up a part of the nerdery. =)

Thanks,

- Algo.

good luck Algo!

Inflames, when are you going to visit Boca?

How is everyone planning on moving their stuff?....are you guys hiring movers or just getting a UHAUL and moving it all yourself?

I am looking for a roommate in the Boca area. I have no idea where to live though. Has anyone been using that yahoo group website? I plan on going down there in the next month to check some places out. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to live in the Boca area besides the ones listed on the admissions website?

To answer the OP question, I curently own very little to furnish an apartment so there is not much to move. Plus I am coming from NY and I can only bring what I can fit in my car (not much).

Caddy...you are very lucky!!...I wish I could just pack up and go down there, but unfortunately, I have a lot of stuff to take with me!

McMD said:
Caddy...you are very lucky!!...I wish I could just pack up and go down there, but unfortunately, I have a lot of stuff to take with me!

i think i'll end up taking what i can in my car and my parents will drive down there with their car...so 2 carloads full of stuff...furniture wise i guess i'll have to buy it when i get there because i imagine the uhaul fee would be pretty expensive from texas....

McMD said:
Inflames, when are you going to visit Boca?

I am probably going to try to make a visit within the next month. I know the sooner, the better. The real problem that I'm having right now is trying to find a 1 bedroom under $1000/mo. On the contrary, I've come across plenty of 2 bedroom places that would be perfectly affordable if I could just find a roommate!

Inflames...what about Caddy?

Jon...yes, a UHAUL from Texas would be quite costly....good luck moving! By the way...what part of Texas? I have a cousin in Nacadoshius (NO IDEA HOW TO SPELL THAT!!)..she's at SFA there playing tennis.

McMD said:
Inflames...what about Caddy?

Jon...yes, a UHAUL from Texas would be quite costly....good luck moving! By the way...what part of Texas? I have a cousin in Nacadoshius (NO IDEA HOW TO SPELL THAT!!)..she's at SFA there playing tennis.

im from austin....hows your cousin like east texas? SFA is pretty damn close to the louisiana border...

btw the transfer list is moving bc i was able to transfer to miami this morning so its time to look for housing....

jon0013 said:
btw the transfer list is moving bc i was able to transfer to miami this morning so its time to look for housing....

Jon, if you don't mind me asking, when did you request to move from the Boca campus to the Miami campus?

Jon...she loves the school and loves the tennis team. I haven't been out there but apparently there's basically a Wal-Mart and that's it in the city. She goes to Austin every once in a while and parties there with friends who are from there. I think she said she liked Austin, can't remember. I thought Texas would be a hotter version of Florida, but it was EXTREMELY different than what I expected when I went to Houston.

inflamesdjk02 said:
Jon, if you don't mind me asking, when did you request to move from the Boca campus to the Miami campus?

i believe i requested it on may 24th...or 25th...one of those days...

McMD said:
Jon...she loves the school and loves the tennis team. I haven't been out there but apparently there's basically a Wal-Mart and that's it in the city. She goes to Austin every once in a while and parties there with friends who are from there. I think she said she liked Austin, can't remember. I thought Texas would be a hotter version of Florida, but it was EXTREMELY different than what I expected when I went to Houston.

houston isnt exactly a great place to live IMO...the weather sucks, the traffic is horrible and the crime rates in the city are high (esp post katrina)...with that being said, i got the overall feeling that FL is more laidback than texas...but ive only been to FL once and that was 2 days in miami so i guess i really don't know...

austins real laidback and the city itself is pretty educated and full of young people..im hoping that miami will be the same even though im not sure that will be the case..when i was there i only saw 2 sharp contrasting parts of the city: south beach and then the area around the orange bowl (which left a bad impression on my part)...

Last edited:
ok, I posted a response and it never showed, so I'm not typing it again, sorry.

Runner, I just went with Sallie Mae for convenience purposes, I'm very unfamiliar with the financial aid process and Sallie Mae had no fees whatsoever, so that was good enough for me. I heard T.H.E. is good though...there is a THE thread in allopathic medicine somewhere-I would check it out.

Hi Guys: :thumbup:

I'm an FAU undergrad student, still on waitlist for the Boca Campus, with fingers crossed. It's a great place to learn medicine. I'm taking the summer gross anatomy right now with Dr. Blanks. It's a wonderful course and the Lab is so ritzy. It's awesome - and hes a wonderful, empathetic teacher.

I don't know how many of you have lots of info on this, but here's a link to the MS-1 class's personal web-site, maintained by one of them.

http://www.ummsm.com/

And another one for the Biomed Dept site:

http://bioserv.biomed.fau.edu/biomedical/biomedical_content.html

Theres a shout out box on the left of the MS-1 screen to ask the students questions, etc, and you can learn a lot about the opportunities they have, and what they often do, etc, etc.

Hope this helps some of you, esp some of you that want help finding a room-mate. I think Dr. Markowitz (Dean of Students) can help out with a list, or so I hear around here:

[email protected]

Wish me Luck guys!

- Algo.

So I was really bored at work and reading up on the proper attire for UM and it said "no flip-flops"...I could have sworn like 5 students were wearing flip-flops when I interviewed. By the way, this wasn't in the "clinical setting" section either-so this would have been in the classroom setting. Can someone verify this information?