***University of Miami Class of 2011!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
x

Members don't see this ad.

I just added myself to the facebook group. I am too old for all this newfangled technology. I only have facebook to communicate with my family. I can't see people's profiles even though I joined the group, how to I fix it. Am I supposed to just spam everyone with friend requests or something?

You can add me as a friend :thumbup:

BTW when do immunizations need to be complete?

If you are in Miami - where do people get vaccinations and all stuff - specially if you dont have insurance.

You can get lots of immunizations for cheap at the health department. That's where I got my PPD before I started school. As an aside, you will need health insurance to start classes at UMiami. The university has a contract with MegaLife to provide ultra cheap insurance for students, but be aware that no fringes come with this plan.

BTW when do immunizations need to be complete?

Before starting classes. I remember students' getting their shots the weekend before school began.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get lots of immunizations for cheap at the health department. That's where I got my PPD before I started school. As an aside, you will need health insurance to start classes at UMiami. The university has a contract with MegaLife to provide ultra cheap insurance for students, but be aware that no fringes come with this plan.

You aren't kidding. I just checked out that plan after your post. It seems like complete garbage, unless Miami covers your 20% after the deductible. I have seen something like this written into the health plan at another school I have been accepted to. Do you know if Miami just eats that 20% if you have services performed at Jackson, or do they expect you to come out of pocket for everything? This plan seems like it could get you into big trouble if you had anything major happen (there is no out of pocket maximum.)

Do most students go with this plan, or do people buy something on their own?

You aren't kidding. I just checked out that plan after your post. It seems like complete garbage, unless Miami covers your 20% after the deductible. I have seen something like this written into the health plan at another school I have been accepted to. Do you know if Miami just eats that 20% if you have services performed at Jackson, or do they expect you to come out of pocket for everything? This plan seems like it could get you into big trouble if you had anything major happen (there is no out of pocket maximum.)

Do most students go with this plan, or do people buy something on their own?
I just went with my family's coverage.

I don't know how many UMMSM students use it, but Megalife's crappy health insurance seems to be taking over in universities all across the country.

My friends here who have it tend to be generally dissatisfied with the out of pocket costs and the number of obstacles the company tries to put in your way to deter you from going to the doc.

Hey Boris. Congrats again on matching at your first choice, it must feel great.

Is there any kind of professional courtesy policy at Miami for medical expenses, or is that kindof a thing of the past.

I just went with my family's coverage.

I don't know how many UMMSM students use it, but Megalife's crappy health insurance seems to be taking over in universities all across the country.

My friends here who have it tend to be generally dissatisfied with the out of pocket costs and the number of obstacles the company tries to put in your way to deter you from going to the doc.
Thanks for the info guys...I will report this back to Dad who is already discussing with his insurance people what the best plan is for me. :)

Oh, and regarding the immunizations--you should already have all of them except one. It's very hard to get through 13 years of grade school and four years of college without having your basic immunizations. Find your records from your doctor or your school; this is the standard list.

The only one on that list that you probably don't have up-to-date is the PPD. They give it out at orientation each year, and it's free. I've had four.

Is there any kind of professional courtesy policy at Miami for medical expenses, or is that kindof a thing of the past.
Good question.

I've curbsided my attendings on a few occasions, and they never seemed to mind. I even curbsided one of the deans. I haven't, however, gone as far as asking for physical exams or scripts (I have other contacts for scripts.).

I would imagine, though, that if you were to formally schedule a clinic appointment, you would have to pay the bill that UM/Jackson sends you.

Oh, and regarding the immunizations--you should already have all of them except one. It's very hard to get through 13 years of grade school and four years of college without having your basic immunizations.

That statement should only apply to people who have lived in Florida their whole life. I came from Tennessee and had to get lots of shots. Luckily, the military gave me all of them when I went through training.

Another word about MegaLife. I think that you have to re-sign the contract every semester. One of my classmates signed up for the plan in the fall and later underwent a knee operation. He was surprised to discover that MegaLife had dropped him and that he had to cover all of the medical expenses.

That statement should only apply to people who have lived in Florida their whole life. I came from Tennessee and had to get lots of shots. Luckily, the military gave me all of them when I went through training.

Another word about MegaLife. I think that you have to re-sign the contract every semester. One of my classmates signed up for the plan in the fall and later underwent a knee operation. He was surprised to discover that MegaLife had dropped him and that he had to cover all of the medical expenses.
Strange...I figured lots of people would have the same basic immunizations no matter where you came from across north america...guess not...

I probably have to get my PPD again, as it is probably not up to date. I had HepA and HepB when I was 15-17, but I was under the impression that you don't need "booster" shots for those, can anyone confirm?

It's really good to know all this stuff about MegaLife and I will definitely think about what type of plan I can get through my parents.

I dont speak a word of spanish. they told me this wouldnt be aproblem. is this really the truth? I hope it is....

I probably have to get my PPD again, as it is probably not up to date. I had HepA and HepB when I was 15-17, but I was under the impression that you don't need "booster" shots for those, can anyone confirm?

Both Hep A and Hep B require multiple doses. See http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/2081ab.htm for an immunization schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zeke: You probably do not require a booster at this time. If you are concerned you can get your titer measured to see if you require a booster.

speaking of espanol, anyone thinking about studying some spanish this summer? I was thinking of getting that Rosetta Stone computer program. Ive heard good things

Zeke: You probably do not require a booster at this time. If you are concerned you can get your titer measured to see if you require a booster.

speaking of espanol, anyone thinking about studying some spanish this summer? I was thinking of getting that Rosetta Stone computer program. Ive heard good things

speaking of spanish. do you really need it in miami?

I am 1/2 Hispanic and I can assure you that Spanish, although not neccesarily required to get around Miami, is a big plus. You will find ppl go up to you on the streets talking to you in Spanish as if this was a Spanish speaking country. I imagine that Spanish would be incredibly useful in dealing with patients and such. I would recommend learning it but wouldnt really sweat it. You'll be an MD and thats the main thing.

1. You don't need to be vaccinated against Hep A.

2. The Hep B vaccine is given in three separate administrations. Find your records; they usually try to record the dates on your immunizations card.

3. They'll give you the PPD at orientation if you need it. At least at the Miami campus, they will.

I have a question for current UM med students...did you go through UM for your loans or did you find an outside/private lender? The 6.8% interest rate is upsetting me but I'm not sure where to look for a potentially better deal.

My new signature should be "I'll be a quarter of a million dollars in debt by the time I'm 27...does that turn you on baby?" :p

Strange...I figured lots of people would have the same basic immunizations no matter where you came from across north america...guess not...
These immunizations are extremely standard in the US.

In most places, you're required to have these shots in order to start/get through public school.

I dont speak a word of spanish. they told me this wouldnt be aproblem. is this really the truth? I hope it is....
Most of my classmates don't speak Spanish, and they do just fine. Typically, non-Spanish speakers try to pick up the English-speaking patients. When that isn't an option, you can use an interpreter.

Not knowing how to speak Spanish really isn't a big deal for med student purposes.

speaking of spanish. do you really need it in miami?
No, you don't.

I have a question for current UM med students...did you go through UM for your loans or did you find an outside/private lender? The 6.8% interest rate is upsetting me but I'm not sure where to look for a potentially better deal.

My new signature should be "I'll be a quarter of a million dollars in debt by the time I'm 27...does that turn you on baby?" :p
6.8% for a stafford loan is standard. It doesn't matter who you go through, that is the current fixed rate for a stafford and with your credit history and lack of equity, you will not find a private loan program that will offer you anything less.

You don't have to go through their credit union, or whatever, as I think there are better LENDERS out there, but it won't change the 6.8% for the interest. It will, however, change repayment rules, origination fees and so on and so forth that will be more feasible later on.

I'm going to go with T.H.E.

I'm glad you mentioned a program! I will be purchasing something soon. I am fluent in 3 languages and understand 4, and not knowing spanish as someone who moved here a few years ago is really irritating. It's not required and I think the government should be responsible for creating spanish-english, english-spanish programs for new inhabitants, but I'm pretty sure that's not happening anytime soon...so I'm off to buy computer program. Also, I want to learn at my will and leisure, and not have to schedule a class.

We should talk.

I'm glad you mentioned a program! I will be purchasing something soon. I am fluent in 3 languages and understand 4, and not knowing spanish as someone who moved here a few years ago is really irritating. It's not required and I think the government should be responsible for creating spanish-english, english-spanish programs for new inhabitants, but I'm pretty sure that's not happening anytime soon...so I'm off to buy computer program. Also, I want to learn at my will and leisure, and not have to schedule a class.

We should talk.

The problem with your plan of creating a English-Spanish program for new inhabitants is that many of those new inhabitants are here illegally. Further, many private, community-based organizations already have such programs. And finally, the Hispanic community is so large that immigrants can get by without ever having to learn the language. Just take the janitor in my building. He's been here for six years and doesn't speak a word of English. He boss gives him directions in Spanish. His friends and family speak Spanish. As far as he's concerned, he doesn't need to learn English.

These immunizations are extremely standard in the US.

In most places, you're required to have these shots in order to start/get through public school.

When I was growing up in Louisiana, the only immunizations I ever had were MMR and DPT. I'm old enough to have gotten chicken pox as a child. When I was in high school and living in Tennessee, my city was suffering from a hepatitis outbreak. All of the students were forced to get the Hep A vaccine---the 1st one only. I got the boosters when I moved to Florida and worked as a CNA. The rest all came in the military.

Florida is unique in requiring so many vaccines for public school children. Situations are different in other states. I don't even remember having to show evidence for vaccinations when I enrolled in Tennessee. Students could get out of getting their shots by saying that immunizations are against their religious values. Since I did not grow up in Florida, I had not received even the meningococcal vaccine until recently.

Unfortunately Zeke is right. There is no better deal than 6.8%. If you take out the max amount, some of your loans will be at 8.5% which is just plain obscene. Two years ago, Congress decided to cut $12 Billion from education funding which made it necessary to lock in these horrible rates, and at the same time they made it illegal to consolidate your loans. Its nice to know they are looking out for us in Washington ;)

Oh wait, I forgot to mention that the new Congress wants to cut physician compensation. Talk about getting f@cked both ways.

Unfortunately Zeke is right. There is no better deal than 6.8%. If you take out the max amount, some of your loans will be at 8.5% which is just plain obscene. Two years ago, Congress decided to cut $12 Billion from education funding which made it necessary to lock in these horrible rates, and at the same time they made it illegal to consolidate your loans. Its nice to know they are looking out for us in Washington ;)

Oh wait, I forgot to mention that the new Congress wants to cut physician compensation. Talk about getting f@cked both ways.
I think I should go out and buy some tools to help me prepare for the financial @$$ raping that will be occurring regularly during medical school. :)

The problem with your plan of creating a English-Spanish program for new inhabitants is that many of those new inhabitants are here illegally. Further, many private, community-based organizations already have such programs. And finally, the Hispanic community is so large that immigrants can get by without ever having to learn the language. Just take the janitor in my building. He's been here for six years and doesn't speak a word of English. He boss gives him directions in Spanish. His friends and family speak Spanish. As far as he's concerned, he doesn't need to learn English.
Where I'm from we have a surprisingly amazing bilingual population and the government is totally responsible for that! I think that South Florida can do a bit better and it might help if the government acknowledges that need to break down language barriers through programs. I don't think they do a good job at all.

Where I'm from we have a surprisingly amazing bilingual population and the government is totally responsible for that! I think that South Florida can do a bit better and it might help if the government acknowledges that need to break down language barriers through programs. I don't think they do a good job at all.

The reason the Canadian government can get away with a bilingual program is because the people taking language lessons are citizens; here, many of the immigrants are here illegally. Further, the major languages used in Canada are French and English. There are over 40 languages spoken in South Florida, including Spanish and Creole. Where do you draw the line of which languages to cater? Finally, the Canadian government didn't just start the bilingual program. It's been in existence for a very long time. If we implemented such a system here, many years would pass before we notice an impact.

For those of you planning on living in some of the nicer areas, how do you plan to pay for it. The school only budgets you for $680/month, but most places on the beach or brickel(sp?) seem to run at least $900. Are you guys planning on working during school?

For those of you planning on living in some of the nicer areas, how do you plan to pay for it. The school only budgets you for $680/month, but most places on the beach or brickel(sp?) seem to run at least $900. Are you guys planning on working during school?
Hmmm...what about personal expenses...how much money do they leave you for that?

I have a question...If you get a merit scholarship, then if you do really well as an M1...can they increase the value of your merit scholarship?! I guess what I'm asking is...are you reevaluated for more scholarship money each year?

No, the money you start with is the money you continue to receive. However, there are lots of extra scholarships that you can apply for.
Damn...shouldn't have ****ed up in undergrad so bad :).

Alright...you'll have to let me know where I can find out about these scholarships. By the way, thank you for clarifying why the language situation is south florida is a complete wreck.

J

No, the money you start with is the money you continue to receive. However, there are lots of extra scholarships that you can apply for.

That is good to know. Could you please elaborate on these extra scholarships. Are these institutional, or open to all students in the country.

Zeke, the merit scholarships might not be increased, but mine has some language in it that says it can be cancelled if I don't make satisfactory academic progress. That is for the OOS merit scholarship, for IS it might be different.

1. Roommates
2. Working during medical school typically isn't worth it. Considering your future earning potential as a physician, the hours you'd spend making peanuts are, in comparison, a waste of time that could better be spent furthering your career. That said, I do have friends who have held part-time jobs.

That is good to know. Could you please elaborate on these extra scholarships. Are these institutional, or open to all students in the country.
There are a lot of local/UMMSM scholarships.

National scholarships sound like a waste of time.

Zeke, the merit scholarships might not be increased, but mine has some language in it that says it can be cancelled if I don't make satisfactory academic progress. That is for the OOS merit scholarship, for IS it might be different.
It's standard procedure practically everywhere to have academic stipulations for renewal of merit scholarships. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

1. Roommates
2. Working during medical school typically isn't worth it. Considering your future earning potential as a physician, the hours you'd spend making peanuts are, in comparison, a waste of time that could better be spent furthering your career. That said, I do have friends who have held part-time jobs.
So, there is no way to maneuver around with the budget aside from roommates? I would therefore have to get outside funds to pay $900-1000/month rent that we know Miami costs in order to afford to live on my own? OR...if we have scholarships does it pay to take out more money or something?

So, there is no way to maneuver around with the budget aside from roommates? I would therefore have to get outside funds to pay $900-1000/month rent that we know Miami costs in order to afford to live on my own? OR...if we have scholarships does it pay to take out more money or something?

That is so irritating. UM has to get up to speed on this. Like the rest of the state, the cost of living has skyrocketed (though I don't know how much of an effect this has had on South Florida). Not everybody can find a roommate, and if you can't as you said Jessey, the alotted amount just won't cut it.

That is so irritating. UM has to get up to speed on this. Like the rest of the state, the cost of living has skyrocketed (though I don't know how much of an effect this has had on South Florida). Not everybody can find a roommate, and if you can't as you said Jessey, the alotted amount just won't cut it.
I know...thank goodness for my parents :)...I hope I can get more money from UM as time progresses.

zeke, the stafford limit is $38,500 but the estimated cost of attendance is higher, around $50k/yr. meaning that if you had no scholarship, you could take out a maximum of $38,500 in stafford loans plus the difference (~$11,000) in private loans. the financial aid office can give you the papers for the private loan applications, basically you get that money in a couple of weeks after putting in the apps but the interest rates are higher and those loans depend on your credit score, unlike the staffords.

say that you had a $5k a year scholarship from UM, that would bring down your estimated cost of attendance to about $45k/yr so you could only borrow a maximum of $38,500 in staffords + ~$6k in private loans each year. thats because the $5k scholarship would count agaisnt your estimated cost of attendance which is the maximum you are allowed to borrow.

so yes... it sucks that rent isnt budgeted higher but most schools low ball that number. most students take out the $38,500 a year and do pretty well with it, probably because of a little outside parental support. if you get a $5k a year scholarship and take out a $38,500 loan that will give you about $14,000 to live on that year, its divided into 2 payments so ~$7k in the fall and in the spring. if you needed more you could take out a private loan at any time from the financial aid office or like others have said, apply for outside scholarships.

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but oh well. I actually think it is a good thing that Miami doesn't put the rent at $1000. If the cost of attendance was under the Stafford limits that would be one thing, but every increase on the cost of attendance goes straight to those usurious grad plus loans. I don't think that it is unreasonable to have a roommate in medical school, and finding a roommate should not be difficult. I haven't had a roommate for a couple years, and I am not thrilled about it, but I knew that by taking this path I was going to be totally broke for at least 8 years. You know what they say, "Live like a doctor now . . . . ."

Of course the tuition at Miami is incredibly high, but that is another story. Hopefully they will keep it steady for at least 4 years, but I doubt it. I was reading an AMA article from 2002 about how they were recommending that all medical schools do something about skyrocketing tuition because the average student back then was graduating with around $100k in debt. It looks like their advice went totally unheeded.

Of course the tuition at Miami is incredibly high, but that is another story. Hopefully they will keep it steady for at least 4 years, but I doubt it. I was reading an AMA article from 2002 about how they were recommending that all medical schools do something about skyrocketing tuition because the average student back then was graduating with around $100k in debt. It looks like their advice went totally unheeded.

i actually heard from one of our faculty members recently that miami is keeping medical school tuition pretty much the same for the next few years because they want tuition to rival that of UF. so they are just letting UF raise their tuition while keeping Miami's the same. which is great news for you guys, i only have 1 year left but i wouldnt expect much of a tuition hike over the next few years.

most students take out the $38,500 a year and do pretty well with it, probably because of a little outside parental support.
So is it possible to live as a student on just the 38.5? Acutally I think it is going to 40.5 next year. My tuition is going to be around 25k, so that leaves 15k for living expenses. If I could get by without having to take out grad plus loans I would be thrilled but I'm not sure what living expenses are like in Miami. I've lived in two extremes: San Francisco, and the rural south, so I figure it will be somewhere in between there, but I am having trouble figuring out how much to budget.

i actually heard from one of our faculty members recently that miami is keeping medical school tuition pretty much the same for the next few years because they want tuition to rival that of UF. so they are just letting UF raise their tuition while keeping Miami's the same. which is great news for you guys, i only have 1 year left but i wouldnt expect much of a tuition hike over the next few years.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

There are other ways to go about it. My freshman year, when I was living in a tiny studio apartment, I was paying less than $600 per month for rent.

Living alone on a tight budget can be done. But if you want to live in a nice place for cheap, you should probably do the roommate thing.

I was trying to find bills from my freshman year, but I'm pretty sure my tuition has been basically the same the entire time I've been here.

If I could get by without having to take out grad plus loans I would be thrilled but I'm not sure what living expenses are like in Miami. I've lived in two extremes: San Francisco, and the rural south, so I figure it will be somewhere in between there, but I am having trouble figuring out how much to budget.
Miami is relatively expensive, no doubt about it. The majority of that added expense, however, is due to the cost of buying/renting a place, so if you can manage to save as much money as possible in that department, you should do fine.

Oh yeah, going out on South Beach is hella expensive, too.

There are other ways to go about it. My freshman year, when I was living in a tiny studio apartment, I was paying less than $600 per month for rent.

Living alone on a tight budget can be done. But if you want to live in a nice place for cheap, you should probably do the roommate thing.
Hey...I wanted to ask about a studio. I currently live in a 1 bedroom/2 bathroom and pay $900/month. I absolutely love it, because it's about 850 squeet (hehe), and very comfortable - came practically fully furnished. My issue is that it's in NMB, and I would rather live a bit closer to school so I was thinking Miami Beach/Northern South Beach. I guess what I want to know is how bad is it to live in a studio? I really have no interest in a roommate...sometimes I like to be messy/naked/moody/alone...yadda yadda blahblahblah. Also...how much can you find a place for in the Surfside area?

Hey...I wanted to ask about a studio. I currently live in a 1 bedroom/2 bathroom and pay $900/month. I absolutely love it, because it's about 850 squeet (hehe), and very comfortable - came practically fully furnished. My issue is that it's in NMB, and I would rather live a bit closer to school so I was thinking Miami Beach/Northern South Beach. I guess what I want to know is how bad is it to live in a studio? I really have no interest in a roommate...sometimes I like to be messy/naked/moody/alone...yadda yadda blahblahblah. Also...how much can you find a place for in the Surfside area?

Hey Zeke, if you find a good website or listing service could you please post it here or PM me? I know that you mentioned something about going through realtors, but I doubt I will be able to do that long distance.

Hey Zeke, if you find a good website or listing service could you please post it here or PM me? I know that you mentioned something about going through realtors, but I doubt I will be able to do that long distance.

Yeah I second that, I'm in the same boat.

Hey everyone! I've been checking out this thread for a while now...just wanted to say hello to everyone and that I've been accepted to the main campus, so I just might be seeing many of you in a few months! I go to UM undergrad now (psych major) and if I end up deciding to stay here, I will be living in a condo and looking for some roomies, just in case anyone's interested. :D GO CANES!

Hey everyone! I've been checking out this thread for a while now...just wanted to say hello to everyone and that I've been accepted to the main campus, so I just might be seeing many of you in a few months! I go to UM undergrad now (psych major) and if I end up deciding to stay here, I will be living in a condo and looking for some roomies, just in case anyone's interested. :D GO CANES!

Hey, congrats on the acceptance. I also am a psych major at UM...its def. great for the gpa plus its interesting. Do the right thing and pick UM!