***University of Miami Class of 2011!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's official....I will DEFINITELY be attending [email protected] got my rejection letter from UF and withdrew from the USF waitlist today.

UM's where it's at guys! :banana: :biglove: :lol: :hello: (sorry, I just noticed the super duper smilies)

Congrats, Ginkneephur. Looking forward to seeing you at Boca.

Members don't see this ad.

where is our financial aid??

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an "estimated" fin aid award letter back in Jan or Feb. I think that's all they send you, unless something changes (i.e. receive a scholarship, ect) until it comes time to choose how much you want to take out in loans.

If anyone knows any better, please correct me!

I got the same "estimated" award letter. I was told by the fin aid office that we hafta fill out residency forms before we actually recieve any $.

I got the same "estimated" award letter. I was told by the fin aid office that we hafta fill out residency forms before we actually recieve any $.

did you get this post-fafsa, ie: personalized with your information? i tried emailing the office about it and they said they are still working on the website where we can apply for financial aid. im getting a bit nervous as the start of school is looming in the horizon. no aid = no go..

No, I didn't get anything post-FAFSA. It sounds like you are looking for need-based aid, which would make sense to be something they would determine for you now (or at least before May 15th). Maybe you should call?

I only got one award letter and it included my FAFSA/scholarship info. I'd call the fin aid office and see what they say...

:banana: (I like the dancing banana)

The fin aid office told me that revised fin aid notices would be sent out by early May. This would include any post-FAFSA revisions to the original notices that they sent out earlier this year.

Do you think that you need a car at Miami or FAU? How' s the public transportation? I am from out of state.

Do you think that you need a car at Miami or FAU? How' s the public transportation? I am from out of state.

At FAU it'd be nice to have a car. If you lived close to the med school you could walk/ride a bike but appartments near the campus aren't cheap ($1K+month). There isn't a metrorail here like down in miami.

:banana: :banana: B.A.N.A.N.A (gwen taught me to spell)

I don't like this one :beat:

How about living in Miami near the med school? Do you need a car?

Members don't see this ad :)
You will certainly need a car if you are at the Boca campus. Unless you're planning on living with a very tolerant med student for a roommate who is willing to shuttle you around, you must have a vehicle to get around. In Miami, you will need a car if you live away from campus. There are a few places where you could live without a car---such as Dominion and Jackson Towers---but you will still need transportation for all of the bull**** (I mean meaningful Doctoring experiences) that happens off campus.

You will certainly need a car if you are at the Boca campus. Unless you're planning on living with a very tolerant med student for a roommate who is willing to shuttle you around, you must have a vehicle to get around. In Miami, you will need a car if you live away from campus. There are a few places where you could live without a car---such as Dominion and Jackson Towers---but you will still need transportation for all of the bull**** (I mean meaningful Doctoring experiences) that happens off campus.
Miami or Boca, you generally need a car if you are living in South Florida. Even if you live on campus, when you want to do anything away from campus, which I'm sure you will, you will need a car!!! :)

Miami or Boca, you generally need a car if you are living in South Florida. Even if you live on campus, when you want to do anything away from campus, which I'm sure you will, you will need a car!!! :)

agreed. i live at dominion and only use my car every other weekend to go shopping, visit fam, go out, etc... BUT a car is a MUST in south florida. one of our biggest weaknesses is the lack of good public transport like NY or Boston. as a first year you will need a car to out on geriatric visits, go to your preceptor's office once a month, etc... same goes for 2nd year. in your 3rd year you will be driving all the time for your family med rotation, GPC rotation and possibly to go to mt.sinai for internal medicine.

There will be at least 11 FAU alumni going to the UM@FAU campus in august....next, world domination!

Hey all,

Sorry to be redundant but I wanted to remind everyone to join the facebook group for the UMSOM c/o 11 and the yahoo group for the class as well. If anyone is interested in eventually having a class get together, join the facebook group and send a message to the admin so that we can have a better idea of the # of ppl planning on getting together and when everyone will be in Miami. Look forward to meeting you all soon!

What do you mean FAU alumni going to the campus?

She is referring to those that graduated from FAU with a bachelors and are now going to UMMSOM FAU campus.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what sort of things we need for when school begins, including:

Books,
Medical Equipment
etc.

I will be traveling for the majority of July and I would like to take care of this stuff now while I have some free time.

Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what sort of things we need for when school begins, including:

Books,
Medical Equipment
etc.

I will be traveling for the majority of July and I would like to take care of this stuff now while I have some free time.

Thanks.

I bought all of my supplies (except for lab coat).
This is the most used supplies in medical school that I got from some med school websites and deuist from Boca confirmed it:

1. A good stethoscope (I got Littmann Cardiology III for $90 on ebay. They are $140 new)

2. Otoscope/Opthalmoscope Set (I got a Welch Allyn pocketscope set, and then a physician I work with gave he me his old set, the regular 3.5v. The set can cost anywhere from $130 for the pocketscope set to over $400 for the Panoptic set. From what I hear here you don't need the very expensive set. I think just stick with a good brand like Welch Allyn)

3. Tunning fork (it's cheap, something like $20-30)

4. Reflex Hammers (If you are lucky get one from a rep, I got like 10 of them. If you want to buy one, you can get one on ebay for $10)

5. Smygmomamethingy (Blood pressure cuff) I got several of them from various reps. They are cheap. I think something like $25.

From what I hear your best investment will be a good stethoscope.

This is the book list form Miami for 2005-2006 school year. I am not going to buy any books until I get a new list since this is from two academic year ago.

http://www.mededu.miami.edu/MedEd/divisionsFolder/student_affairs/e-docs/Booklist_2005-2006.pdf

Good luck

Thanks onmywayRN! That list is very helpful. I am going to start hunting ebay. Will you be attending the Miami campus this fall?

Thanks onmywayRN! That list is very helpful. I am going to start hunting ebay. Will you be attending the Miami campus this fall?

You guys are hard core, buying stuff already :eek:

I would hold off on buying books. Some modules you shouldn't bother buying the required books. You can get by without.
You will find that most of the future 2nd-years and 3rd-years have the same books (maybe different edition but virtually same content) with minimal or no highlighting; you can get books that you need for modules dirt cheap.

For example, I would be more than happy to sell anyone (for your first 8-week module, anatomy) Netter's Flash Cards and probably my Cardiovascular Physiology book. PM me if you want to check out what I am willing to sell and we can work out some sort of deal.

Also you will find that there usually a giant discount AMSA book sale during orientation. And it may be wiser to invest in boards review books than in the recommended texts.

Anyways for anatomy at least they will require the following:

-Moore's Clinical Anatomy (get the big one)
-An atlas (I like Netter's (which you get free with an AMSA membership) but others prefer Yokoshi or Grant)
-Langman's Embryology by T. Sadler (a veritable beast in the weightroom)
-A Basic Histology text (which you don't really need because the teacher's slides are all he tests)
-The cell biology instructor gives you his own text. For the future you may want to invest in BRS Cell Bio and Histo, you can probably spam the listserv and get one cheap.

Hope that helps! If you need me to post the complete list of first year books and my advice please let me know!

-Dwade

Hey D Wade

THanks for the info!

In regards to studying for exams, I wonder how much we need to read from the books. For example, for my psych major I dont read the book at all since the notes cover everything. In med school, do people read the book, the notes, or both. I imagine that it depends on the class.

Hey D Wade

THanks for the info!

In regards to studying for exams, I wonder how much we need to read from the books. For example, for my psych major I dont read the book at all since the notes cover everything. In med school, do people read the book, the notes, or both. I imagine that it depends on the class.

You hit the nail right on the head, it does vary class to class.

Here is DWade's super-secret and foolproof guide to each class you encounter in first year:

Biochemistry

This year the class was a joke; no telling whether they will increase the difficulty next year. You can pass and probably score at least in the high 80s without reading the book; you may even be able to get high 90s. I personally like the Lippincott's book tho (used it in undergrad) and because I think biochem is pretty cool I actually read the book for some of the course.

Conclusion: Only read the book if it interests you or as a reference for when you don't understand a concept.

Genetics

No book required, nuff said. Dr. Werner has his own notes for molecular genetics and the medical genetics stuff I just read the slides. Don't bother with the book, waste of money and time.

Conclusion: Exnay on the ookbay.

Cell Biology

Dr. Warren will give you his own notes and test straight from there. For the boards I picked up a secondhand copy of BRS Cell bio and histology.

Conclusion: Playoffs??!!?

Anatomy

You NEED to get an Atlas. Not maybe, you NEED to get an atlas. Doesn't matter which one as long as it works for you. You also will probably have required readings in Moore's Clinical Anatomy but hold off on buying it to see whether they will cover the material in class or if you can make copies. Moore's is a useful reference but I didn't buy it, I inherited it and many don't buy it. Flash cards may also be beneficial, and the embryology book by Langman is a MUST if you don't understand the complexities of Pitx2 expression.

Conclusion: Atlas for sure (edition doesn't matter, could get it from AMSA), probably the embryo book (buy an older cheaper edition), maybe Moore's and flashcards.

Histology

Don't buy a book. Please don't. Dr. Clark will give you sufficient material to learn. If you are anal buy the BRS Cell bio and histo book for boards.

Conclusion: "George Bush doesn't care about black people"

Microbiology

Don't buy the recommended text unless it is Clinical Micro made Ridiculously Simple. That book doesn't correlate well with the class but is useful as a reference and also is great for boards.

Conclusion: Clinical Microbiology Made Simple (older edition if possible)

Immunology

I didn't buy or read the book and I aced the class, mainly because immunology isn't very fact-based. However, because immunology is so conceptual consider buying some sort of text if you find yourself lost in class. I recommend either Langman's Micro and Immuno Review (dense but great for boards) or the required text which is relatively straightforward and has diagrams.

Conclusion: Buy a text if you don't understand the teachers explanation of concepts.

Pathology

Robbins is required and IMO is a good read when I find time to read it. It is a huge book and will serve you well as a reference for the rest of your career if you go into any sort of primary care. Others hate it and think it is too dense; some prefer the Pocket Robbins which is more portable or BRS Pathology (which I personally dislike). Either way you can ace the class without reading a book. But for boards you will need something extra.

Conclusion: No book for class, either Robbins or BRS Path for boards. Also Robbins Question Book for boards. Get used whenever possible.

Cell Physiology

You probably will need the book but trust me, buy it from a second-year. No one wants to keep it and you can get it dirt cheap. It is written by the professor and corresponds exactly with the lecture material. I am willing to sell my copy (hint, hint)

Conclusion: You should buy it USED. Don't waste 30+ dollars on the book.

Pharmacology

I used my powerpoints and First Aid occasionally. Katzung is recommended but I never touched it and did fine. Others bought it and complained about it. Some like it, so read it through and see if it suits you. Buy it used because many want to get rid of it.

Conclusion: Nothing, Katzung if you really like it.

Neuroscience

I already had the recommended Bear textbook (used at UM undergrad neurobiology class). It is a great read but very dense and demanding of time invested. Consider, however, that for many neuroscience can be very challenging to understand and many of the teachers tailor their lecture to the book. For neuroanatomy Dr. Clark's notes are sufficient, although if you want a good book to read look at Goldberg's Neurobio made Simple or High Yield Neuroanatomy (buy USED)

Conclusion: I recommend Bear but you can do well without it.

Cardiology

The cardiovascular physiology book is a must but buy it cheap and used, becasue like the cell physio book the lectures are taken directly from it and then it is not very useful. First Aid and BRS Physiology also correspond very well with the course material and can summarize the major concepts.

Conclusion: Cardiovascular Physiology by Mohrman and Heller is def read. BRS Physio IMO is recommended and useful for boards but get USED.

Don't forget to get an older edition of First Aid to glance at throughout your modules.

-DWADE

ALWAYS BUY USED!!!

D Wade

You are the man! Now just step it up for the Heat in the playoffs! :thumbup:

This thread sure will come in handy throughout the year

ALso nice to see that I have the Neuroscience book and maybe the biochem one (dont know about that one though), used the book only for reference for these classes anyway and did well/ doing well now.

Guys, I have big news!! I'M DONE WITH UNDERGRAD. TOOK MY FINAL FINAL YESTERDAY AND I GRADUATE FRIDAY!!!!!

This calls for lots of dancing bananas....

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

(I can only have 10 images?? GEEZ. Way to kill a buzz. :mad: )

You hit the nail right on the head, it does vary class to class.

Here is DWade's super-secret and foolproof guide to each class you encounter in first year:

Biochemistry

This year the class was a joke; no telling whether they will increase the difficulty next year. You can pass and probably score at least in the high 80s without reading the book; you may even be able to get high 90s. I personally like the Lippincott's book tho (used it in undergrad) and because I think biochem is pretty cool I actually read the book for some of the course.

Conclusion: Only read the book if it interests you or as a reference for when you don't understand a concept.

Genetics

No book required, nuff said. Dr. Werner has his own notes for molecular genetics and the medical genetics stuff I just read the slides. Don't bother with the book, waste of money and time.

Conclusion: Exnay on the ookbay.

Cell Biology

Dr. Warren will give you his own notes and test straight from there. For the boards I picked up a secondhand copy of BRS Cell bio and histology.

Conclusion: Playoffs??!!?

Anatomy

You NEED to get an Atlas. Not maybe, you NEED to get an atlas. Doesn't matter which one as long as it works for you. You also will probably have required readings in Moore's Clinical Anatomy but hold off on buying it to see whether they will cover the material in class or if you can make copies. Moore's is a useful reference but I didn't buy it, I inherited it and many don't buy it. Flash cards may also be beneficial, and the embryology book by Langman is a MUST if you don't understand the complexities of Pitx2 expression.

Conclusion: Atlas for sure (edition doesn't matter, could get it from AMSA), probably the embryo book (buy an older cheaper edition), maybe Moore's and flashcards.

Histology

Don't buy a book. Please don't. Dr. Clark will give you sufficient material to learn. If you are anal buy the BRS Cell bio and histo book for boards.

Conclusion: "George Bush doesn't care about black people"

Microbiology

Don't buy the recommended text unless it is Clinical Micro made Ridiculously Simple. That book doesn't correlate well with the class but is useful as a reference and also is great for boards.

Conclusion: Clinical Microbiology Made Simple (older edition if possible)

Immunology

I didn't buy or read the book and I aced the class, mainly because immunology isn't very fact-based. However, because immunology is so conceptual consider buying some sort of text if you find yourself lost in class. I recommend either Langman's Micro and Immuno Review (dense but great for boards) or the required text which is relatively straightforward and has diagrams.

Conclusion: Buy a text if you don't understand the teachers explanation of concepts.

Pathology

Robbins is required and IMO is a good read when I find time to read it. It is a huge book and will serve you well as a reference for the rest of your career if you go into any sort of primary care. Others hate it and think it is too dense; some prefer the Pocket Robbins which is more portable or BRS Pathology (which I personally dislike). Either way you can ace the class without reading a book. But for boards you will need something extra.

Conclusion: No book for class, either Robbins or BRS Path for boards. Also Robbins Question Book for boards. Get used whenever possible.

Cell Physiology

You probably will need the book but trust me, buy it from a second-year. No one wants to keep it and you can get it dirt cheap. It is written by the professor and corresponds exactly with the lecture material. I am willing to sell my copy (hint, hint)

Conclusion: You should buy it USED. Don't waste 30+ dollars on the book.

Pharmacology

I used my powerpoints and First Aid occasionally. Katzung is recommended but I never touched it and did fine. Others bought it and complained about it. Some like it, so read it through and see if it suits you. Buy it used because many want to get rid of it.

Conclusion: Nothing, Katzung if you really like it.

Neuroscience

I already had the recommended Bear textbook (used at UM undergrad neurobiology class). It is a great read but very dense and demanding of time invested. Consider, however, that for many neuroscience can be very challenging to understand and many of the teachers tailor their lecture to the book. For neuroanatomy Dr. Clark's notes are sufficient, although if you want a good book to read look at Goldberg's Neurobio made Simple or High Yield Neuroanatomy (buy USED)

Conclusion: I recommend Bear but you can do well without it.

Cardiology

The cardiovascular physiology book is a must but buy it cheap and used, becasue like the cell physio book the lectures are taken directly from it and then it is not very useful. First Aid and BRS Physiology also correspond very well with the course material and can summarize the major concepts.

Conclusion: Cardiovascular Physiology by Mohrman and Heller is def read. BRS Physio IMO is recommended and useful for boards but get USED.

Don't forget to get an older edition of First Aid to glance at throughout your modules.

-DWADE

ALWAYS BUY USED!!!

for some reason this sounds awfully familiar....;) thanks for the advice...

Guys, I have big news!! I'M DONE WITH UNDERGRAD. TOOK MY FINAL FINAL YESTERDAY AND I GRADUATE FRIDAY!!!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Hey congrats! It must be a great feeling.

I graduate May 8, and I am super excited...time to relax before the grind...

I think you're right, I remember it being lower before. Did they change anything else though? Because the total budget still seems to be the same...

thats a good question, i really forgot though.

for the people that filled out the Request for Federal Stafford Loan Funds form with the old amount of 38,500, the new maximum is now 40,500 and is reflected on the website:
http://www.mededu.miami.edu/OSFA/loans/index_html

The new amount keeps us completely covered for tuition (for OOS) while the old amount leaves us short about a thousand dollars.

anyways for the people that thought OOS tuition might be waved as it has been last year, apparently it didnt happen last year (says the director of fin aid).

K, boohoo, bump, I need off this waitlist and into the class.

Yeah, time to get a tan. Go to the beach tomorrow. Surf warning, the waves should be beautiful.

Finally done with college

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Now the real fun begins :D

I just got in off the waitlist today! Im so excited :)

Does anyone have advice about where to live in Miami? I understand that it can be a little pricey and was wondering if its much cheaper to have a room mate. Also, its been mentioned that its a good idea to have a car, I'm coming from Cali and it would be pretty had to get my car over there. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for getting my car over there or how badly I need one.

Thanks for the help

Does anyone have advice about where to live in Miami? I understand that it can be a little pricey and was wondering if its much cheaper to have a room mate. Also, its been mentioned that its a good idea to have a car, I'm coming from Cali and it would be pretty had to get my car over there. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for getting my car over there or how badly I need one.

Thanks for the help
You need a car unless you are living at Dominion. I'm not saying it's not doable, but you want a car down here.

You need a car unless you are living at Dominion. I'm not saying it's not doable, but you want a car down here.

Not necessarily true. Besides Dominion one could live at Jackson towers, houses across from undergrad, or walking distance from any metro station and feasibly survive without a car. I have friends who have done it.

(just make sure you make friends with someone who has a car and lives near you :D )

Not necessarily true. Besides Dominion one could live at Jackson towers, houses across from undergrad, or walking distance from any metro station and feasibly survive without a car. I have friends who have done it.

(just make sure you make friends with someone who has a car and lives near you :D )

Notice the part that I bolded...

I'm going to Miami! Californian here that finally :):D :hardy:

Wow, this thread is extremely long. Anyways, what are people doing for housing? :idea: