University of Michigan Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellopeople

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, how is are the UMich interviews this year? Anyone have any advice/input?

Anything you have would be much appreciated. UofM if my dream school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I thought they were fun and packed with ethical q's: ie no real right or wrong answers. I guess if you can sell your opinion you're prob golden. Make sure you grab water though. I think you're in the interview mode for 100mins or so, 10 interviewers approx 10 min each, so a lot of talking. Good luck!

I thought they were fun and packed with ethical q's: ie no real right or wrong answers. I guess if you can sell your opinion you're prob golden. Make sure you grab water though. I think you're in the interview mode for 100mins or so, 10 interviewers approx 10 min each, so a lot of talking. Good luck!

Actually, I did pretty well with ethical questions in the past. Hopefully that will carry through to Michigan. Good luck to you too.

Anyone else? How are the mini-interviews set up exactly? Do you read the prompt in front of the interviewer for a few seconds then jump right in? Or is there a set amount of time that you have to think it over, say, 1 minute?

Members don't see this ad :)
The interviews are set up as 10 stations. As soon as you get to the station, you'll get to introduce yourself and shake hands. Then you'll go right into reading your prompt. There's no set amount of time for how long you have to read + think, but the more time you spend on that the less time you'll have to actually engage in conversation. You also get about 2 minutes 'rest' between each station, while your interviewer fills out an evaluation form.

Hmmm I guess they get another look at your reading comprehension skills based on how long it takes you to read the prompt and come up with commentary.

This will definitely be interesting.

I assume there are follow-up questions they throw at you during the discussion, right? So that the interview is at least somewhat conversational?

The interview is very conversational. When I was first going in here I was really scared but it turned out to be really fun and it was not hard at all. Go to the interview feedback on SDN and they have alot of specific questions and topics that you should touch up on and that will help a lot. GOOD LUCK!!

The interview is very conversational. When I was first going in here I was really scared but it turned out to be really fun and it was not hard at all. Go to the interview feedback on SDN and they have alot of specific questions and topics that you should touch up on and that will help a lot. GOOD LUCK!!

Good to hear.

Unfortunately it seems that most of the interview feedback is from 2010 and back (only one from 2011). Hopefully the general topics are similar.

Good luck to you in your studies. Hopefully I will be there with you when school starts.

Also, does anyone know if not being research oriented is very detrimental to your chances of acceptance at UMich? It seems like the one thing they emphasize.

you don't need research to get into UMich. Just show yourself through the MMI and be ethical!

Doesn't sound too hard to manage.

Does anyone know anything about UofM's new curriculum?

1st years start clinical training as a dental assistant during year 1. The curriculum is changing as well, with added "free time/flex time" built into the curriculum. Also those pathway things (leadership, research, and clinical experience) are new. It's pretty cool! There were other things, but I can't remember. There are 8-10 weeks of mandatory externship experience now I think.

1st years start clinical training as a dental assistant during year 1. The curriculum is changing as well, with added "free time/flex time" built into the curriculum. Also those pathway things (leadership, research, and clinical experience) are new. It's pretty cool! There were other things, but I can't remember. There are 8-10 weeks of mandatory externship experience now I think.

I can't seem to find anything about these changes on the website. Did they send a packet or provide any other means to read up? I know a bit about their old curriculum from previous students, but I'd love to find out more.

I can't seem to find anything about these changes on the website. Did they send a packet or provide any other means to read up? I know a bit about their old curriculum from previous students, but I'd love to find out more.

This was all given to us during the interview. Very organized and really sold the school to me. I'll lay it all out for you.

Community Outreach Program:

As a D3, you can go to Hope Clinic in Ypsilanti (2 students at a time on M & F). You also go to Washtenaw County Community College (3 students at a time on Tues, Thurs). Also 1 hospital rotation.

Many international outreach programs that are paid for.

Externship sites around Marquette, Traverse City, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Detroit, and Indian reserves. Integrating 10 weeks of scheduled rotations around these areas. Basically 5 two-week rotations.

Personalizing your dental education:

3 Pathway system:
1) Leadership
-Helps you develop skills to become a leader in dentistry
-Orgranized dentistry, research, academia, healthcare teams, public policy, capstone project that allows you to develop and move forward with a public outreach initiative.
2) Research
-Student Research Program: many research opportunities to engage in research if interested, chance to obtain a PhD, MS while there. Strength of research programs include oral and pharyngeal cancer, craniofacial development, oral sensory and immunological diseases, oral infectious and immunological diseases, mineralized tissues and bone biology, tissue engineering and regeneration. Chance for clinical research as well in regenerative medicine, microbiology, pain, antiviral research, and restorative dentistry.
-You can take part in the Howard Hughes Medical Institutes Research Scholars Program, NIH Clinical Research Training Program, and NIDCR Summer Research Fellowship Program. Also take part in DDS/MS 5 year program.
3) Health Care Delivery Pathway
- 80% of students do this. Enhanced clinical education in alt practice models, prespecialization, clinical selectives, interdisciplinary health care delivery, peer teaching, project/portfolio due by D4. The project is basically a community outreach program developed by the student and set forth and completed.

Clinical experience
-D1s have half day per week
-D2s have 2 days per week
-D3s have 4 days/week with own patients
-D4s have 3 days/week and 10 weeks of externships outside of school.
-Competency based requirements with graduates finishing with, on average, 35 amalgam fillings, 75 resin fillings, 11 single crowns, 1 bridge unit, 1 implant restoration, 4 root canals, 3 partial dentures, 7 full dentures, 16 periodontal scalings, and 68 extractions.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have anymore questions, I'll be happy to answer!

Recent specialization/match rates of 2011:
AEGD/GPR 31/37 match
Endodontics 1/1 match
Oral Surgery 0/1 match
Orthodontics 4/4 match
Oral Pathology 1/1 match
Pediatric Dentistry 4/4 match
Periodontics 0/1 match
Prosthodontics 2/2 match

Reactions: 1 user
This was all given to us during the interview. Very organized and really sold the school to me. I'll lay it all out for you.

Community Outreach Program:

As a D3, you can go to Hope Clinic in Ypsilanti (2 students at a time on M & F). You also go to Washtenaw County Community College (3 students at a time on Tues, Thurs). Also 1 hospital rotation.

Many international outreach programs that are paid for.

Externship sites around Marquette, Traverse City, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Detroit, and Indian reserves. Integrating 10 weeks of scheduled rotations around these areas. Basically 5 two-week rotations.

Personalizing your dental education:

3 Pathway system:
1) Leadership
-Helps you develop skills to become a leader in dentistry
-Orgranized dentistry, research, academia, healthcare teams, public policy, capstone project that allows you to develop and move forward with a public outreach initiative.
2) Research
-Student Research Program: many research opportunities to engage in research if interested, chance to obtain a PhD, MS while there. Strength of research programs include oral and pharyngeal cancer, craniofacial development, oral sensory and immunological diseases, oral infectious and immunological diseases, mineralized tissues and bone biology, tissue engineering and regeneration. Chance for clinical research as well in regenerative medicine, microbiology, pain, antiviral research, and restorative dentistry.
-You can take part in the Howard Hughes Medical Institutes Research Scholars Program, NIH Clinical Research Training Program, and NIDCR Summer Research Fellowship Program. Also take part in DDS/MS 5 year program.
3) Health Care Delivery Pathway
- 80% of students do this. Enhanced clinical education in alt practice models, prespecialization, clinical selectives, interdisciplinary health care delivery, peer teaching, project/portfolio due by D4. The project is basically a community outreach program developed by the student and set forth and completed.

Clinical experience
-D1s have half day per week
-D2s have 2 days per week
-D3s have 4 days/week with own patients
-D4s have 3 days/week and 10 weeks of externships outside of school.
-Competency based requirements with graduates finishing with, on average, 35 amalgam fillings, 75 resin fillings, 11 single crowns, 1 bridge unit, 1 implant restoration, 4 root canals, 3 partial dentures, 7 full dentures, 16 periodontal scalings, and 68 extractions.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have anymore questions, I'll be happy to answer!

Recent specialization/match rates of 2011:
AEGD/GPR 31/37 match
Endodontics 1/1 match
Oral Surgery 0/1 match
Orthodontics 4/4 match
Oral Pathology 1/1 match
Pediatric Dentistry 4/4 match
Periodontics 0/1 match
Prosthodontics 2/2 match

Thank you!! I have been finding some of this online, but I now I wish I would have checked back here sooner. It's probably kinda late, but if I can return the favor let me know. The schools I have interviewed / will interview at are on my predents.

I'll try to remember to take you up on your offer and pm you if I have any questions closer to my interview date.
Good luck with dental school. Hopefully I'll see you at UofM.

Hey, don't worry about it. I'm done with interviews and all. I'll be attending UMich for their DDS/PhD program this summer. I will hopefully see you there!