You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
University of Michigan
Started by prepharm14
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm planning on applying, 87 comp on the PCAT and a 3.6 GPA at University of Michigan. going to be completing my bachelor's degree this year.
anyone else?
anyone else?
I'm an over-worrying type of person so I am concerned that I'm not getting my application done fast enough because UM has rolling admissions. So I'm currently freaking out while trying to write my personal statement 😀 Any advice?
Michigan State, graduating this year with BS Human Biology
3.9 overall, 3.8 science, 98 comp PCAT
I hope we can all see each other there next fall!
Michigan State, graduating this year with BS Human Biology
3.9 overall, 3.8 science, 98 comp PCAT
I hope we can all see each other there next fall!
Do you need to wait for the school to invite you to fill out the supplemental or everyone is required to do it before they even consider you? Since it's rolling, when did they start accepting applications?
Also, do you know if they have a PharmD/MBA (in health care management) program?
Thanks!
Also, do you know if they have a PharmD/MBA (in health care management) program?
Thanks!
Do you need to wait for the school to invite you to fill out the supplemental or everyone is required to do it before they even consider you? Since it's rolling, when did they start accepting applications? Also, do you know if they have a PharmD/MBA (in health care management) program? Thanks!
They started accepting as soon as PharmCAS would start sending, so early August. The supplemental is found on their website and you can fill it out whenever you want to. No, they do not have a PharmD/MBA; the only joint program they have is the PharmD/PhD in Pharmaceutics.
I am a P2 at the University of Michigan COP. If anyone has any questions about life at UM's pharmacy school, I am happy to take a stab at it.
In most entering classes, a significant percentage did their pre-pharmacy coursework at UM (like 40%ish, don't quote me on this). Thus, at least half of the classes are composed of students from other Universities. Many out of state students are from California. If you want more specific percentages, they are most likely listed in PharmCAS on UM's info. page. Hope that helps.
Does Michigan tend to accept more students from its own school? I'm from California.
In most entering classes, a significant percentage did their pre-pharmacy coursework at UM (like 40%ish, don't quote me on this). Thus, at least half of the classes are composed of students from other Universities. Many out of state students are from California. If you want more specific percentages, they are most likely listed in PharmCAS on UM's info. page. Hope that helps.
Does Michigan tend to accept more students from its own school? I'm from California.
Michigan is unique in that they accept a very high percentage of out of state students, about half I think, and they say they do not take residency into account like other state pharmacy schools do definitely do. So don't worry about your residency status.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't even seem to get it started because I covered all of it in my PS. The fact that we have to write two to four pages is ridiculous
That's double spaced though, so its really only a little longer than the PharmCAS essay. Make the margins a little wider or add a big title 😛
I got an email from UM saying what we need with the supplemental application. It stated:
Any PCAT scores 60% or below and/or writing scores <3 should be addressed in a separate addendum submitted with the UM supplemental application materials.
Just wondering on any tips to how to write this. Is it on a completely separate page? Do I write it like an essay stating why some of my PCAT scores were under 60? Or is there something on the website that I fill out and send in?
I was reading last year's Michigan thread and many people were saying that Michigan's statistic requirement is really difficult to fulfill. Some said they had to take 3 different stats class just to fulfill the one requirement. Does anyone know if that's still the case?
Also, on their website, they ask for a letter of rec from an employer. Will a supervising pharmacist count or does it have to be the actual employer?
Also, on their website, they ask for a letter of rec from an employer. Will a supervising pharmacist count or does it have to be the actual employer?
I was reading last year's Michigan thread and many people were saying that Michigan's statistic requirement is really difficult to fulfill. Some said they had to take 3 different stats class just to fulfill the one requirement. Does anyone know if that's still the case?
Also, on their website, they ask for a letter of rec from an employer. Will a supervising pharmacist count or does it have to be the actual employer?
If you're unsure about statistics, just e-mail Dean Perry your syllabus and she usually lets you know if it's a sufficient course or not.
I used a letter from my supervising pharmacist last year and it was considered as my letter of rec from an employer.
Just wondering on any tips to how to write this. Is it on a completely separate page? Do I write it like an essay stating why some of my PCAT scores were under 60? Or is there something on the website that I fill out and send in?
It is a separate page (addendum) that goes at the end of the application. I had to write one for my reading score (55, don't know what happened lol). I talked about my past course work that was heavy on reading (humanities classes) and how I did well in it, how I'm in a class this semester that is about text analysis of primary source research articles and how that will help me build new skills, and how my verbal section was 99 so I obviously understand something, right?
I was reading last year's Michigan thread and many people were saying that Michigan's statistic requirement is really difficult to fulfill.
Just ask Assistant Dean Perry ([email protected]). My school doesn't even HAVE a class that fits their description, so I took the one she recommended.
If you're unsure about statistics, just e-mail Dean Perry your syllabus and she usually lets you know if it's a sufficient course or not. .
I don't have the syllabus anymore. I took the class over a year ago. Do you know how I would go about getting one? Does it have to be the actual syllabus from the quarter that I took the class or can it be from any professor that taught the class? Google search has given me syllabuses for the course, just not from the one I actually attended. I don't know how to go about getting the syllabus because I can't even remember the professor who taught it so I don't even have her email 🙁
I don't have the syllabus anymore. I took the class over a year ago. Do you know how I would go about getting one? Does it have to be the actual syllabus from the quarter that I took the class or can it be from any professor that taught the class? Google search has given me syllabuses for the course, just not from the one I actually attended. I don't know how to go about getting the syllabus because I can't even remember the professor who taught it so I don't even have her email 🙁
Does your school have some sort of online course catalog with descriptions of the course?
Does your school have some sort of online course catalog with descriptions of the course?
I actually went through my old notes and found the syllabus, so I will definitely email the dean about it. Thanks for all your help, guys!
yes it is rolling admissions, but they'll accept applications until december 1st, so you still have some time if you want to apply
yes it is rolling admissions, but they'll accept applications until december 1st, so you still have some time if you want to apply
Thank you! 🙂 Applied!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also have an interview at on Oct 21st!🙂
anybody get acceptances yet??
Just got an interview invite for next Friday, November 4th! Is anyone else interviewing then?
Interviewed Oct. 14th. Admitted on the same day xD
97 composite 3.55 GPA at the University of Michigan. I wish everyone the best of luck with interviews!! Just relax and be genuine about why you want to do pharmacy, and you'll be fine. I thought I did just...meh in the interviews but guess not.
97 composite 3.55 GPA at the University of Michigan. I wish everyone the best of luck with interviews!! Just relax and be genuine about why you want to do pharmacy, and you'll be fine. I thought I did just...meh in the interviews but guess not.
So I submitted my pharmCAS app a while ago but still haven't submitted the supplemental. I'm hesitant about continuing to apply because the only pharmacy experience I have is shadowing 3 pharmacists. I've heard that you need at least 2 years of clinical experience. Should I bother submitting the supplemental?
So I submitted my pharmCAS app a while ago but still haven't submitted the supplemental. I'm hesitant about continuing to apply because the only pharmacy experience I have is shadowing 3 pharmacists. I've heard that you need at least 2 years of clinical experience. Should I bother submitting the supplemental?
by clinical experience do you mean volunteer hours? i know that thats really important for them, to see that you've interacted with patients in some sort of setting, whether it be a hospital, clinic, pharmacy, etc. if you haven't done any volunteering/interacting with patients it might be a negative...
I interviewed on 10/14 and was, unfortunately, deferred. I was pretty bummed since Michigan is my first choice and a little surprised considering I was accepted at Kentucky and North Carolina. I'm hopeful that I'll be accepted in December, but the waiting is KILLING me! Anyone else in the same boat?
Last edited:
was just offered an interview for next friday 11/18, wasn't expecting that considering my pharmcas says that it hasn't even been mailed yet...guess it just hasn't been updated online. anyone else going to interview then??
I interviewed on 10/14 and was, unfortunately, deferred. I was pretty bummed since Michigan is my first choice and a little surprised considering I was accepted at Kentucky and North Carolina. I'm hopeful that I'll be accepted in December, but the waiting is KILLING me! Anyone else in the same boat?
Interviewed on Oct. 7, deferred. Interviewed also at UNC Nov. 4 and haven't heard anything. Stats? Experience? Undergraduate School? The waiting is killing me too....
I interviewed on 10/14 and was, unfortunately, deferred. I was pretty bummed since Michigan is my first choice and a little surprised considering I was accepted at Kentucky and North Carolina. I'm hopeful that I'll be accepted in December, but the waiting is KILLING me! Anyone else in the same boat?
I feel your pain! I interviewed Nov 4th & also was placed in the deferred pool. Kind of understandable since I have 3 pre-reqs that I'm taking this semester and 3 next semester, so they probably want to see my fall grades. Michigan's my first choice as well, I was in love with the school after interview day. I still have some hope though for December!
Have you looked at the threads from last year? It looks like a LOT of people initially got deferred because the class size from the year was 95 because they over-admitted, so I'm thinking they might be deferring a lot this year too because of that. I'm really hoping to go there next year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm worried about the interview. I heard its a conversation based interview, but I feel there are some questions we should prepare for.
Try not to stress too much over the interview. I was pretty stressed out before going into it but my interviewers did a good job of making me feel comfortable. It was more conversational and it did not seem like 40 minutes had already passed when it was over. I had a situational question in each interview & be prepared to answer why pharmacy and why Michigan!
Interviewed on Oct. 7, deferred. Interviewed also at UNC Nov. 4 and haven't heard anything. Stats? Experience? Undergraduate School? The waiting is killing me too....
I'm an in-state student currently attending Wayne State. I'll have a BS in Biology (with University and Department Honors) and a minor in French before I start pharmacy school in the fall. 94% composite PCAT, 3.8 overall GPA, 3.7 math and science. 1 year of independently-owned community pharmacy experience (including direct-patient interaction) as well as shadowing experiences in two different hospitals. Research experience. President of two student organizations. Four letters of recommendation: 1 from my employer (who is also my academic advisor), 1 from the pharmacist I volunteer with, 1 from my research supervisor and 1 from a French professor.
I also felt confident coming out of both my interviews, so I'll admit I was surprised by the deferral. Yet from what I've read, because Michigan's class size is so small, deferral is really common and nothing to fret about yet. I think I was at a slight disadvantage not being out-of-state or at UofM for undergrad and I'm also missing two prerequisite courses that I'll be taking in the winter. But I certainly haven't given up hope yet and you shouldn't either!
Last edited:
I feel your pain! I interviewed Nov 4th & also was placed in the deferred pool. Kind of understandable since I have 3 pre-reqs that I'm taking this semester and 3 next semester, so they probably want to see my fall grades. Michigan's my first choice as well, I was in love with the school after interview day. I still have some hope though for December!
Have you looked at the threads from last year? It looks like a LOT of people initially got deferred because the class size from the year was 95 because they over-admitted, so I'm thinking they might be deferring a lot this year too because of that. I'm really hoping to go there next year.
I still have plenty of hope! As we should! I did read the thread from last year and that certainly eased my mind some. I'm also comforted by the fact that I wasn't the only one deferred. I kept checking this thread and no one had posted anything...I was afraid I might have been the only one! 😛
Last edited:
I got an interview for next friday!!
nice! i'll be seeing you there then!
I'm an in-state student currently attending Wayne State. I'll have a BS in Biology (with University and Department Honors) and a minor in French before I start pharmacy school in the fall. 94% composite PCAT, 3.8 overall GPA, 3.7 math and science. 1 year of independently-owned community pharmacy experience (including direct-patient interaction) as well as shadowing experiences in two different hospitals. Research experience. President of two student organizations. Four letters of recommendation: 1 from my employer (who is also my academic advisor), 1 from the pharmacist I volunteer with, 1 from my research supervisor and 1 from a French professor.
I also felt confident coming out of both my interviews, so I'll admit I was surprised by the deferral. Yet from what I've read, because Michigan's class size is so small, deferral is really common and nothing to fret about yet. I think I was at a slight disadvantage not being out-of-state or at UofM for undergrad and I'm also missing two prerequisite courses that I'll be taking in the winter. But I certainly haven't given up hope yet and you shouldn't either!
That's kind of discouraging to us interviewees
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 4K
- Poll
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 4K
