Hi all so I just received an interview invite for March 29th (last interview date) and I'm debating if I should attend or not. I was hoping to get some input from those who have interviewed, especially those from California. My pros and cons are below
Con:
1. Already accepted to CU Denver and paid $1000 deposit - That's a good chunk of cash, but not much in the long run when considering your education. I am not sure where CU Denver ranks, but MN is a top school and they are redoing their entire curriculum this year to be more like med school. I think it is a very good move on their part.
2. Not sure how realistic it would be for me to relocate to Minnesota
... I feel like it would be a lot more rural and cold than I'd like - First off yes it can get damn cold here.. the weather is pretty funky, 60's one day and single digits the next during some winters. I wouldn't say it's rural.. the school is located near the heart of Minneapolis so it is as urban as you are going to see anywhere else. I understand your feelings on relocating.. I chose to decline a school I was accepted to in WI because relocating would mean selling my place and uprooting, just too much of a hassle in this current housing market.
3. Last minute preparation as I only have a week to prepare (and 4 of those days I'll be on vacation) - Shouldn't be too much to prepare though right? I mean you already interviewed at other schools and got accepted at one.. so you should be good from that angle. Worst case you'd have to come up with some good reasoning as to why you would want to matriculate to MN from wherever you are from.
4. $1000+ in travel (ticket from LAX --> Duluth as of today is $966 !!! - Ya that is a bit ridiculous, but again in the scheme of things if you are really considering the U of M as a top choice $1000 isn't much.
5. OOS tuition (CU grants in state tuition after P1 year... How hard is it to get residency status in MN???) - It is impossible to get residency status in MN (minus the exception I will discuss in a second) as you must live here for 1 year without your main reason being to attend the university. There is one way and that is to be the recipient of a particular scholarship, the name of it escapes me at the moment but check the list on their site and you will find it. How much more is the tuition? If it is quite a bit more, I would definitely take that into consideration given the current and future job market.
Pros:
1. Highly ranked school - #3 in the nation, and well deserved IMO. They are always reworking their program. They developed MTM and are spreading it across the nation. They receive awards for their programs and research. They always seem to push for the best.
2. Want to see what the program has to offer - $1000 is a good deal of money just to see what they have to offer. I would hope you would already be strongly considering the U of M prior to shelling out that kind of cash.
3. Great-amazing feedback about experiences from most ppl on the forum - I talk to about 10 students or so a year for the past 8 years coming through the program (I work at the attached hospital). Everyone I've talked to loves it. There is so much to do and be involved in as a student, it is almost mind boggling.
So if you guys could tell me
A. What u liked about the program - Haven't taken it yet.
B. Perception of opportunities available - Dual degrees (MBA/MPH/PHD/etc), honors program, getting distinction in certain areas, so many societies and organizations you cannot join them all even if you wanted to, student run clinic, etc
C. Why you chose this school over others (if applicable) - I had another school I was accepted to. I turned down their offer in order to "risk" a chance to go to the U of M. I feel confident that even if I get wait listed I made the right choice. The market is getting crazy now and it will make a difference where you go to school. The U of M is known nationwide as a leader in advancing the field.
D. Any other pertinent info u want to tell me - It's a tough decision.. but weigh everything out for what works with you and then go with your choice without regret. Don't second guess yourself. Good luck!
Thanks everyone!