University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, 88888888, would you go to Univ. of Minnesota if you got in or might you still choose Maryland over them?

You know I thought Maryland would be a lot cheaper with the possibility of in-state tuition, but the cost of attendance (not just tuition) for 4 years there is $244k while at MN for out-of-state the cost of attendance is about $240k. I think Maryland might be inflating the Room and Board expenses, so students have access to more funding, but it seems crazy that the room and board at Maryland is listed at $19.4k/yr.

Members don't see this ad.

What's your other school?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

I only applied to 2 schools. U of M and Concordia Wisconsin. I already got into Concordia, but U of M is my #1 choice. I wouldn't have to move and because of the fact it offers dual degree programs (I'll probably go for the PharmD/MBA).

Hey, 88888888, would you go to Univ. of Minnesota if you got in or might you still choose Maryland over them?

You know I thought Maryland would be a lot cheaper with the possibility of in-state tuition, but the cost of attendance (not just tuition) for 4 years there is $244k while at MN for out-of-state the cost of attendance is about $240k. I think Maryland might be inflating the Room and Board expenses, so students have access to more funding, but it seems crazy that the room and board at Maryland is listed at $19.4k/yr.

Ugh.. I feel sorry for you guys that would have to do out of state as a loan. That is a hefty chunk to roll into a loan. I'm looking to "escape" with only ~110k in loans for in-state at U of M as professional loans (i.e. not including undergrad). Of course that doesn't include room and board as I already have a place, but I wouldn't be putting loans towards that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh.. I feel sorry for you guys that would have to do out of state as a loan. That is a hefty chunk to roll into a loan. I'm looking to "escape" with only ~110k in loans for in-state at U of M as professional loans (i.e. not including undergrad). Of course that doesn't include room and board as I already have a place, but I wouldn't be putting loans towards that.

I'm very lucky and am expecting to have a few pretty sizable outside scholarships, so I am hoping to have a loan burden similar to you.

I recommend to everyone to check their high school's foundation. I'm lucky and my high school foundation provides scholarships for it's grads who are in graduate-level programs.

Or you could just make friends with a billionaire. :p

I'm very lucky and am expecting to have a few pretty sizable outside scholarships, so I am hoping to have a loan burden similar to you.

I recommend to everyone to check their high school's foundation. I'm lucky and my high school foundation provides scholarships for it's grads who are in graduate-level programs.

Or you could just make friends with a billionaire. :p

Nice, scholarships definitely help. Really.. I had never heard of a high school foundation. That may not apply to me though as I'm 33 and have obviously been out of HS for quite some time now.

They should start a new lottery where you buy a $1 ticket and they draw once a week to see if they will pay off your student loans. I'd definitely be putting in my weekly $1 =D.

Nice, scholarships definitely help. Really.. I had never heard of a high school foundation. That may not apply to me though as I'm 33 and have obviously been out of HS for quite some time now.

They should start a new lottery where you buy a $1 ticket and they draw once a week to see if they will pay off your student loans. I'd definitely be putting in my weekly $1 =D.

LOL @ student loan lottery! I would be a sucker too for that. Anything to pay off loans.

This one scholarship through my high school foundation is the only one they offer for students who graduated at any time. Most are for current high school seniors matriculating to a 4-year university, but this one is for any graduate who is pursuing either undergrad or graduate schooling. I graduated HS in 2005, so it's been a while for me, too. Also my mother's company offers scholarships to children of employees, and it's a small company. Hopefully they will be good amounts...

LOL @ student loan lottery! I would be a sucker too for that. Anything to pay off loans.

This one scholarship through my high school foundation is the only one they offer for students who graduated at any time. Most are for current high school seniors matriculating to a 4-year university, but this one is for any graduate who is pursuing either undergrad or graduate schooling. I graduated HS in 2005, so it's been a while for me, too. Also my mother's company offers scholarships to children of employees, and it's a small company. Hopefully they will be good amounts...

Hmm I'll definitely have to look into the HS scholarship. How did you find out about it? Did you just call your school and ask if they had money set aside for that?

Hmm I'll definitely have to look into the HS scholarship. How did you find out about it? Did you just call your school and ask if they had money set aside for that?

I actually got a card in the mail from them asking me to update my information with them. So I went on their website, and there were scholarships (with their recipients) listed. One of the recipients is a friend of mine, so I asked her about it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the new curriculum that will be coming out this year?

It really sounds interesting.. I guess I'm a little worried about being a guinea pig for the new style of learning (I'm getting ahead of myself by assuming I'm getting in.. but still want to discuss this topic anyways). We spoke directly to one of the professors in charge of the project up in Duluth.. he seemed really excited about it.. he said "we own it, it's our own intellectual property." I'm not sure if he was being poetic or if they have somehow copyrighted their new process. He said it is the culmination of 5 years of effort from most of their staff. He also said they brought in 6 Ph.Ds who are specialized in integrating new curriculum and who will be helping detect and correct problems in the system as it is being implemented and through the 4 years for it to be fully realized.

I specifically asked him what types of "cons" there where in the system, and what mechanisms were in place to correct those issues. I didn't really get a direct answer. None of the undergrad interns I've spoken with have a clear picture of what is exactly going to take place, I suppose most of them don't care too much as it doesn't pertain to them. Anyone else have any thoughts or have more specific information about it?

Yea that's how it seems like. Only time will tell!

Yosarrian, you're suppose to hear back around Monday right?

Heard back today by email: ranked waitlist. I'll know more in May when they rank the waitlist.

Dear y0ssarian87,

On behalf of the College of Pharmacy, I'd like to thank you for your application to the Doctor of Pharmacy program. The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application for Fall 2013 and placed your application on the ranked waitlist.

Specific placement on the ranked waitlist will not be determined until interviews and admissions reviews are completed for this admissions cycle. Our target date for notification of placement on the ranked waitlist is May 10. As the need arises, we periodically review applications on the waiting list and may offer admission throughout the admissions cycle. We will notify you if your status changes.

Please keep us informed of your current address and phone number so we are able to contact you if necessary. You may contact our College of Pharmacy Office of Student Services in either the Twin Cities or Duluth if you have questions.

Twin Cities - (612) 624-9490 Duluth - (218) 726-6030

Thank you for your interest in our Doctor of Pharmacy program. We appreciate the time and resources devoted to applying.

Official letter will be coming to you at the preferred address you listed in your PharmCAS application.

Sincerely,
Ronald Hadsall
Professor and Chair, Admissions Committee

Mmm Yea Ill do a deeper analysis if i get in. I did a very rough estimate of the difference. I calculated around up to 30k difference for the four years. It depends how the cost of apt but we'll see.

Heard back today by email: ranked waitlist. I'll know more in May when they rank the waitlist.

:( more waiting. Hopefully you'll hear good news in the future.

Got an email today. Unranked waitlist :/
I put "No preference," so maybe there's hope??

Mmm Yea Ill do a deeper analysis if i get in. I did a very rough estimate of the difference. I calculated around up to 30k difference for the four years. It depends how the cost of apt but we'll see.

:( more waiting. Hopefully you'll hear good news in the future.

Haha, yup...more waiting! My birthday is in early May, so perhaps I may get a good birthday present! Honestly, I'm not surprised about being on the ranked waitlist. That's what I was predicting, mainly because of my extremely low GPA (2.70). Hopefully, I have a competitive spot on the ranked waitlist.

Best of luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, yup...more waiting! My birthday is in early May, so perhaps I may get a good birthday present! Honestly, I'm not surprised about being on the ranked waitlist. That's what I was predicting, mainly because of my extremely low GPA (2.70). Hopefully, I have a competitive spot on the ranked waitlist.

Yea who knows bday present haha I'm not expecting much either my GPA is only 2.72 lol.

Got an email today. Unranked waitlist :/
I put "No preference," so maybe there's hope??

Yea who knows bday present haha I'm not expecting much either my GPA is only 2.72 lol.

Would you guys be willing to share some of your stats (if you don't already have them posted somewhere on the forums)? The wait is killing me and maybe I could get a better idea of where I'd fit in with a little bit more info.

GL y0ssarian87, waiting until May would be too much for me.. sounds like if you get in around 30 or less you should get in (according to the previous year trends) but those last few go up even until like a week after classes start. You put TC only right?

88888888 weren't you supposed to hear back this Monday as well? or are you with me waiting for the next batch this coming Mon the 18th?

Razieta I think at our interview session they said the last time they went to the unranked list was 3-4 years ago.. but it has happened a few times before so I wouldn't count yourself out yet!

God this anticipation! I almost wish they'd tell you right there to your face immediately after the interview.

Last edited:
Would you guys be willing to share some of your stats (if you don't already have them posted somewhere on the forums)? The wait is killing me and maybe I could get a better idea of where I'd fit in with a little bit more info.

GL y0ssarian87, waiting until May would be too much for me.. sounds like if you get in around 30 or less you should get in (according to the previous year trends) but those last few go up even until like a week after classes start. You put TC only right?

88888888 weren't you supposed to hear back this Monday as well? or are you with me waiting for the next batch this coming Mon the 10th?

Razieta I think at our interview session they said the last time they went to the unranked list was 3-4 years ago.. but it has happened a few times before so I wouldn't count yourself out yet!

God this anticipation! I almost wish they'd tell you right there to your face immediately after the interview.

My paper said the 18th. So one more week.

My paper said the 18th. So one more week.

Yea I meant the 18th in my post.. fixed it. I guess we'll hear back the same day. Sounds like they are getting them out right on the day. The paper they gave me actually says "applicants will receive a decision letter shortly after the 18th," but I guess they are making a distinction between a letter and an email. Sounds like we'll be part of the same batch. I bet I won't be able to sleep the day before.

y0ssarian87 you think your GPA was THAT much of a factor despite nailing the PCAT? You sound like a pretty competitive applicant. How did you feel about your interview? I'm starting to hyperventilate even more now.. =/

Yea I meant the 18th in my post.. fixed it. I guess we'll hear back the same day. Sounds like they are getting them out right on the day. The paper they gave me actually says "applicants will receive a decision letter shortly after the 18th," but I guess they are making a distinction between a letter and an email. Sounds like we'll be part of the same batch. I bet I won't be able to sleep the day before.

y0ssarian87 you think your GPA was THAT much of a factor despite nailing the PCAT? You sound like a pretty competitive applicant. How did you feel about your interview? I'm starting to hyperventilate even more now.. =/

Hey Skrumpy,

There are some pretty rude people on these fora, so I don't feel comfortable posting my stats so publicly, but I'll PM you :)

Got it, thanks and much appreciated!

Skrumpy, I'm responding to your PM here :)

I haven't had much time to think about what I'll do at this point, but I expect that I'll plan to go to Maryland, and if I have a good waitlist number, I'll start thinking about Minnesota again. I really don't want to wait until mid-summer to know where I'm going, so I'll probably set an arbitrary date by which I'll just withdraw my application at Minnesota.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations?

Skrumpy, I'm responding to your PM here :)

I haven't had much time to think about what I'll do at this point, but I expect that I'll plan to go to Maryland, and if I have a good waitlist number, I'll start thinking about Minnesota again. I really don't want to wait until mid-summer to know where I'm going, so I'll probably set an arbitrary date by which I'll just withdraw my application at Minnesota.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations?

Maryland looks like a good school and is highly ranked (not quite sure what is with all those 4-6 way ties amongst pharmacy schools). Though rankings aren't really everything, it shows the school is pretty invested in the pharmacy field. I know the more well known residency programs are really looking for students coming out from these types of schools, but I'm not sure if you are planning on doing a residency once you get out. If you are, it is getting pretty competitive right now and I'm sure it will be even more so in 4 years. I would imagine being at one of these types of schools plus putting a lot of effort to distinguish yourself once you get in school will help if you are planning on going that route. The market is getting to the point where I am considering waiting a year to reapply to the UofM if I don't get in this year, despite being accepted to another newer school. The newer school has what looks to be a good program, it's just that there aren't a lot of activities to get involved in. The U of M has an honors program and more pharmacy student organizations than anyone could possibly be involved in. That and they have dual degree programs (I am contemplating the PharmD/MBA if I get in) and they allow you to graduate with distinction in certain areas by focusing on certain specifics areas. I really can't speak as to how that will compare to Maryland, but my guess is they are pretty similar schools. I suppose a lot of it comes down to what you are planning to do once you get out of school.

BTW do you have to put down a big deposit to save your spot for Maryland? Also what about the waitlist for MN, you still have to put down a deposit?

Maryland looks like a good school and is highly ranked (not quite sure what is with all those 4-6 way ties amongst pharmacy schools). Though rankings aren't really everything, it shows the school is pretty invested in the pharmacy field. I know the more well known residency programs are really looking for students coming out from these types of schools, but I'm not sure if you are planning on doing a residency once you get out. If you are, it is getting pretty competitive right now and I'm sure it will be even more so in 4 years. I would imagine being at one of these types of schools plus putting a lot of effort to distinguish yourself once you get in school will help if you are planning on going that route. The market is getting to the point where I am considering waiting a year to reapply to the UofM if I don't get in this year, despite being accepted to another newer school. The newer school has what looks to be a good program, it's just that there aren't a lot of activities to get involved in. The U of M has an honors program and more pharmacy student organizations than anyone could possibly be involved in. That and they have dual degree programs (I am contemplating the PharmD/MBA if I get in) and they allow you to graduate with distinction in certain areas by focusing on certain specifics areas. I really can't speak as to how that will compare to Maryland, but my guess is they are pretty similar schools. I suppose a lot of it comes down to what you are planning to do once you get out of school.

They are very similar, but they approach things very differently. I think they are both incredible schools, and if I were to get into Minnesota, I am still not certain I'd go there over Maryland. I guess I have plenty of time to think about that now!

Maryland has a PharmD/PhD option that I find interesting. There is lots of research at both schools, and that's important to me. Maryland has Johns Hopkins as a rotation site, and it's so close to NIH and FDA.

I, for one, am really interested in the new curriculum at Minnesota. I like the student organizations at MN, and I like the school's vision. I like that the school is a pioneer and actively drives the needed changes in the field of pharmacy.

The cost of living is also more reasonable in the TC.

BTW do you have to put down a big deposit to save your spot for Maryland? Also what about the waitlist for MN, you still have to put down a deposit?

I do not have to put down the deposit for MN -- I don't have a spot to save yet haha. And, yes, I already put down my $800 deposit for Maryland. So much money in this entire process...

They are very similar, but they approach things very differently. I think they are both incredible schools, and if I were to get into Minnesota, I am still not certain I'd go there over Maryland. I guess I have plenty of time to think about that now!

Maryland has a PharmD/PhD option that I find interesting. There is lots of research at both schools, and that's important to me. Maryland has Johns Hopkins as a rotation site, and it's so close to NIH and FDA.

I, for one, am really interested in the new curriculum at Minnesota. I like the student organizations at MN, and I like the school's vision. I like that the school is a pioneer and actively drives the needed changes in the field of pharmacy.

I do not have to put down the deposit for MN -- I don't have a spot to save yet haha. And, yes, I already put down my $800 deposit for Maryland. So much money in this entire process...

Undoubtedly both are great schools if research is your thing. At least you have a top school in your back pocket. I suppose at this point you'll just have to see where you are on that ranked list. Anything less than 30 and I'd be willing to put money on you getting a spot. It's nice at least you don't have to pony up anything to "save" a spot on the WL. My other school requires 3 x $500 deposits spaced a month apart. The first of which is due.. Mon the 18th, when I'm supposed to hear back from the U of M. I may roll the dice and just pray I get the notification then and not send in the money. The amount of money spent in this entire process is pretty ridiculous. I saw someone the other day that applied to 20 different schools, and went and toured/interviewed at most of them.. I guess if you have the money to throw around, why not? MN is a top choice for me for the aforementioned reasons and because I wouldn't have to move and could keep my current job.

I'm really intrigued about MN's new program.. though I can't really get any specific information about it. None of the current students really know anything I haven't already heard, most don't seem to worry to much about it since it won't concern them. Some were asked their thoughts on certain aspects (like what they thought about the elimination of certain course aspects), but there isn't a lot of specifics floating about. Even at the informational meeting with one of the professors spearheading it we didn't get much other than a few snippets. Definitely color me intrigued.. but also a bit nervous about how it will all pan out. From what I hear it will be more like med school curriculum where everything is broken down into units. There won't be any more separate biochem/physiology courses like now.. it will be all integrated into body/drug units.

hi everyone, how would we hear back shortly after March 18th if that's the week when they are on spring break? will they notify us before they go off to spring break or after spring break?

hi everyone, how would we hear back shortly after March 18th if that's the week when they are on spring break? will they notify us before they go off to spring break or after spring break?

Hopefully we get something in email soon. We will probably get something in the mail shortly after march 18th.

Hopefully we get something in email soon. We will probably get something in the mail shortly after march 18th.

if thats the case then i think we will hear something via email by the end of this week and we will get something in the mail by next week maybe?

if thats the case then i think we will hear something via email by the end of this week and we will get something in the mail by next week maybe?

Perhaps. Who knows. Its fun speculating

Isn't the PharmD pHd route take like 8 years? I want to do a PharmD/ MPH

Yeah, that's a big downside. I have to admit, I don't know exactly what I want to do yet, but until I experience more in the field of pharmacy, I don't want to close any doors.

Heya littowosie.. I think I saw you up at the interview.. did you come in a couple minutes late and sit all the way in the back? =). I think I get the meaning of little Rosie hehe.

According to the trend it sounds like emails have been coming out exactly on Mondays. So my guess is those of us waiting in this thread will hear back on Monday the 18th via email. The paper they gave us does say they will send out "decision letters shortly after" the 18th. Since they email the decision letters after the emails I'm assuming we'll get them on the 18th.

How did your interview go, do you remember who you interviewed with?

Kind of a non-sequitur: I just rewatched Drop Dead Gorgeous with Kirsten Dunst. So funny!

Can't say that I've heard of it. Just watched 'End of Watch' myself, didn't really seem to have a point. I wish Gyllenhaal was getting better roles.

Ugh.. 8 years? What would be the benefit of doing a PharmD/PhD?

88888888 is that why you applied to the U of M because of their new PharmD/MPH dual degree? What are your plans for that kind of combination? I was looking at that myself, just not sure what I could do with it even.

Heya littowosie.. I think I saw you up at the interview.. did you come in a couple minutes late and sit all the way in the back? =). I think I get the meaning of little Rosie hehe.

According to the trend it sounds like emails have been coming out exactly on Mondays. So my guess is those of us waiting in this thread will hear back on Monday the 18th via email. The paper they gave us does say they will send out "decision letters shortly after" the 18th. Since they email the decision letters after the emails I'm assuming we'll get them on the 18th.

How did your interview go, do you remember who you interviewed with?

Heyyy Skrumpy, yep that was me. I had horrible transportation problems at the hotel I was staying at! I was so sad that I came late and had to leave early and missed the student panel to catch my flight back to Cali. :( But my interview went great! How about yours? My interviewer was Dr. Lepp. It's weird how hes an education specialist and doesn't know much about pharmacy yet he interviewed me. Also, they put in a 4th year pharm student last minute because he was on rotation with Dr. Lepp for education. But luckily it worked out in the end because the pharm student ended up answering any questions that Dr. Lepp couldn't answer lol

Heyyy Skrumpy, yep that was me. I had horrible transportation problems at the hotel I was staying at! I was so sad that I came late and had to leave early and missed the student panel to catch my flight back to Cali. :( But my interview went great! How about yours? My interviewer was Dr. Lepp. It's weird how hes an education specialist and doesn't know much about pharmacy yet he interviewed me. Also, they put in a 4th year pharm student last minute because he was on rotation with Dr. Lepp for education. But luckily it worked out in the end because the pharm student ended up answering any questions that Dr. Lepp couldn't answer lol

Yea I figured that something would have happened to cause you to be late.. that wasn't a big deal of course as it was just the intro. The student panel wasn't terribly informative, I felt as if I could have asked a few more questions but we were already over on time. There was some sort of snafu with my interviewer (they didn't show up that day or something happened schedule wise), therefore I interviewed with Stacy Tomhave (the admissions coordinator). She was nice and I felt a bit more at ease with her probably than I would have with a professor. Unfortunately, since she wasn't my initial interviewer she didn't have time beforehand to go over my essays and PS, but I assume that won't hurt my chances (I hope!). Is MN your 1st choice or just one you are thinking about? Also do you mind sharing what your choice was in terms of campus location (TC or Duluth)?

Yea I figured that something would have happened to cause you to be late.. that wasn't a big deal of course as it was just the intro. The student panel wasn't terribly informative, I felt as if I could have asked a few more questions but we were already over on time. There was some sort of snafu with my interviewer (they didn't show up that day or something happened schedule wise), therefore I interviewed with Stacy Tomhave (the admissions coordinator). She was nice and I felt a bit more at ease with her probably than I would have with a professor. Unfortunately, since she wasn't my initial interviewer she didn't have time beforehand to go over my essays and PS, but I assume that won't hurt my chances (I hope!). Is MN your 1st choice or just one you are thinking about? Also do you mind sharing what your choice was in terms of campus location (TC or Duluth)?

Oh wow how very lucky of you to be interviewed by Stacy! She's so nice and very helpful! Yea MN is my first choice but I feel like I'll be waitlisted due to my GPA (around the same area as those who are waitlisted here :() I decided to go with either campus but preferred TC. I DID like Duluth but I'm more of a city girl so I think TC would suit me more. What was your campus choice?

Oh wow how very lucky of you to be interviewed by Stacy! She's so nice and very helpful! Yea MN is my first choice but I feel like I'll be waitlisted due to my GPA (around the same area as those who are waitlisted here :() I decided to go with either campus but preferred TC. I DID like Duluth but I'm more of a city girl so I think TC would suit me more. What was your campus choice?

Yea I think after my nerves calmed down we hit it off pretty good. She's definitely nice and has a strong passion for pharmacy, and she definitely likes what she does. I chose 'TC only' as I'm pretty much firmly entrenched down in this area. Relocating would be a huge hassle and would infringe on a lot of my extracurricular activities. I wouldn't worry too much about GPA, from what I hear U of M takes a pretty good approach to looking at everything (the big picture). Though I will admit that it is really hard to get a good idea where you sit based on other applicant's information. I've seen people with much better stats also not get in.. so there is no real guarantee. I just want something to make the time go by quicker.. I want it to be the 18th already!

88888888 is that why you applied to the U of M because of their new PharmD/MPH dual degree? What are your plans for that kind of combination? I was looking at that myself, just not sure what I could do with it even.

Sorry I didn't respond until now; I had lots of class today. The value in a PharmD/PhD is apparent mainly in translational research. This is one aspect I'm interested in, and I'd like to be involved in the translation of some modern therapeutic strategies. Gene therapy and cell-culture based therapies will continue to need innovative delivery methods. RNAi therapies could also be really interesting. I dunno, there is quite a bit that we are learning, and there are so many avenues for therapy that aren't small molecule.

Any thoughts?

I have an interview coming up on the 15th at the TC campus. It would be great if they lumped in those interviews for the 18th response date. I'm holding off submitting my deposit for another school until I hear back from U of MN. I'll be selecting the TC campus only.

I have an interview coming up on the 15th at the TC campus. It would be great if they lumped in those interviews for the 18th response date. I'm holding off submitting my deposit for another school until I hear back from U of MN. I'll be selecting the TC campus only.

I'm also holding off on another school until I hear back from the U of M. My 1st reaction would be to say that you will probably not hear back on the 18th. That would mean they would have to process all 30ish applicants after the interviews on Friday since I don't believe the ad com meets on the weekend. Also their spring break is coming up on the 25th I think, so you may not even hear back until April 1st or later. I know they mentioned something about spring break in the intro during my interview day as they said the students on the ad com aren't around so they don't normally meet during that time. Who knows though I guess.. you'll find out on Friday, make sure to come update us with the current stats they give you if you'd be so kind when you get them. =)

Sorry I didn't respond until now; I had lots of class today. The value in a PharmD/PhD is apparent mainly in translational research. This is one aspect I'm interested in, and I'd like to be involved in the translation of some modern therapeutic strategies. Gene therapy and cell-culture based therapies will continue to need innovative delivery methods. RNAi therapies could also be really interesting. I dunno, there is quite a bit that we are learning, and there are so many avenues for therapy that aren't small molecule.

Any thoughts?

I'm a biochem undergrad so that type of work really speaks to me. I haven't been keeping up on it recently, but last I heard advances in this area were horribly slow due to no effective means of effectively delivering RNAi into cells. Anything biotech related is going to be huge in the future though.. it's just the direction everything is going in.

I didn't know U of M was putting in a new PharmD MPH until a few days ago haha. I'm not sure what I would do with it either, haven't put much research, but I felt I've always been kind of interested in public health.

I didn't know U of M was putting in a new PharmD MPH until a few days ago haha. I'm not sure what I would do with it either, haven't put much research, but I felt I've always been kind of interested in public health.

Yea I was told about it at the post-interview information session. I guess they are adding it this coming year so the website doesn't list it as an option as of yet. I really don't even know what you could do with just an MPH so I can't speculate as to what a dual degree would do for me. I guess I'll worry about it more if accepted.

Found a bit more info on the PharmD/MPH degree and what you could do with it. Also was looking into the PharmD/JD degree.. sounds neat.. but 6 years.. no thanks.

I'm a biochem undergrad so that type of work really speaks to me. I haven't been keeping up on it recently, but last I heard advances in this area were horribly slow due to no effective means of effectively delivering RNAi into cells. Anything biotech related is going to be huge in the future though.. it's just the direction everything is going in.

Biochem majors, UNITE!

Yeah, lots of the preclinical/clinical work is horribly slow, but there is great basic science work. That will probably change with the Sequester causing a massive NIH cut...

In the clinic I work in that does clinical research, we have one protocol that uses electroporation delivery of a DNA vaccine. Very cool stuff.

Omg just got acceptance letter