University of Missouri in Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Going alphabetically seems logical. Maybe those who haven't gotten the email yet are going to get accepted (!). I'll be trying to send good luck your direction. :luck: :luck: :luck:

where's tegs15?

Members don't see this ad :)
I GOT IN!!! good luck to all who are still waiting!

Well...I actually got the email this morning at 10:00 am. Disappointed--but congrats ahumdinger!

Here is some stress I've had to deal with for the last month or so. I was given the thanks but no thanks rejection email post secondary to Mizzou on October 21st. Then on December 21st, I received an invitation to interview at Mizzou. Brought back from the dead? I was given the wait till next month email yesterday too. What I have seen is that Mizzou is accepting applicants that have a high MCAT vs. GPA, LOR, etc. My MCAT is lacking. Look at the high acceptance of out of state applicants with high MCAT scores. Sure goes against their supposed preference to instate applicants.
I’ve been accepted at other schools already, but sure would have liked to have saved a ton of $$$ by going to my state school. I’m moving on. Can’t take the stress of it anymore. I would have loved going to Mizzou. Good luck to you all!

natsayshi said:
Here is some stress I've had to deal with for the last month or so. I was given the thanks but no thanks rejection email post secondary to Mizzou on October 21st. Then on December 21st, I received an invitation to interview at Mizzou. Brought back from the dead? I was given the wait till next month email yesterday too. What I have seen is that Mizzou is accepting applicants that have a high MCAT vs. GPA, LOR, etc. My MCAT is lacking. Look at the high acceptance of out of state applicants with high MCAT scores. Sure goes against their supposed preference to instate applicants.
I’ve been accepted at other schools already, but sure would have liked to have saved a ton of $$$ by going to my state school. I’m moving on. Can’t take the stress of it anymore. I would have loved going to Mizzou. Good luck to you all!

Hi natsayshi- I'm sorry for all the stress you have experienced in this process. I do feel like your comment was directed at me because I am technically out of state and have a disporportionally high MCAT compared to my GPA. I want to say to you and other in-state students who feel they are passed over that Mizzou has an incredible preference for true out-of-staters. When I applied (having declared WA on my AMCAS), Mizzou didn't even send me a secondary-- instead, they sent me a pseudo-rejection that said I had to show special connection to the state or other extraordinary contributions I can make to the class. I petitioned them with my current situation-- that I have previous ties to MO (high school here) and that I've returned to MO recently. I had to really argue my way for a secondary application.

Another anecdote: When I was applying, I was worried that I wouldn't get a close look because a friend of mine told me that when she interviewed the year before, there was a student who came in to the office asking about her application, and the secretary was looking for a while in the file cabinets, and then the student informed her that she was an out of state applicant. The secretary gave a condescending "oh, out of state" and proceded to open a bottom drawer of some dinky file cabinet, and there, at the bottom, in the back, were the out-of-state files.

I definitely do not think the out of state applications are given any preference. And I don't know where you are getting the sense that out of state people with high MCATs are getting in at higher rates.

Did you go to your interview, by the way? Mizzou interviews ~300 people and they end up extending acceptances to about ~150 (due to withdrawals, which are probably from mostly instate people) so your chances aren't shot! Congrats on your other acceptances and good luck with everything.

congrats humdinger....what round was this for you? or i guess i should ask when did you interview and if you had already gotten a thanks but no thanks this time email....just curious....i am really happy that at least one person on this thread got in.. but seriously there is still hope...A LOT of people get in off the waitlist. they go down to the fifties sometime so dont give up.

I was not directing anything toward you at all. Again, congratulations in getting through all of this hurry up and wait game. I was only looking at other applications from people on SDN, MD applicants, other sites with stats and people I’ve talked to that have been accepted. This website is so helpful from people like yourself and everybody else in supporting each other. I did interview at Mizzou and got the wait till next month email this month. I’m not holding my breath for an acceptance. Your words are encouraging and I wish you and everyone else the best.

midwest77 said:
congrats humdinger....what round was this for you? or i guess i should ask when did you interview and if you had already gotten a thanks but no thanks this time email....just curious....i am really happy that at least one person on this thread got in.. but seriously there is still hope...A LOT of people get in off the waitlist. they go down to the fifties sometime so dont give up.

I interviewed November 9, so this is round 3 for me. I guess 3rd time's the charm! I feel incredibly lucky. Thanks for all the well wishes! And you are right, SO many people get off the waitlist so don't despair! And as far as in-state tuition goes, a wise doctor once told me (when I was worrying about tuition differences), "the way I see it, go where you feel best and don't worry about the tuition--you can't take it with you anyway!"

natsayshi said:
I was not directing anything toward you at all. Again, congratulations in getting through all of this hurry up and wait game. I was only looking at other applications from people on SDN, MD applicants, other sites with stats and people I’ve talked to that have been accepted. This website is so helpful from people like yourself and everybody else in supporting each other. I did interview at Mizzou and got the wait till next month email this month. I’m not holding my breath for an acceptance. Your words are encouraging and I wish you and everyone else the best.

I think you should hold out a little longer if you really want to go to MU. They only accept a small number each month, and I imagine by April or so the waitlist begins to move quickly. Afterall, can't people only hold multiple acceptances until May? If you could bear waiting that long you might get some good news. Anyway, just my opinion, but if you feel this is the right decision for you to make then by all means go ahead.

Congratulations ahumdinger!!!

natsayshi said:
What I have seen is that Mizzou is accepting applicants that have a high MCAT vs. GPA, LOR, etc. My MCAT is lacking. Look at the high acceptance of out of state applicants with high MCAT scores. Sure goes against their supposed preference to instate applicants.

I really think they look at everything, at least that was the impression I got when I interviewed (your experience may have been different). The first doctor that interviewed me basically just went through my application and told me what she liked about it....GPA, MCAT, LOR, leadership activities, and service activites. I remember her specifically saying "we really like to see applicants with strong leadership activities, and you seem to have that...". It seemed from this interviewer, at least, that they look at the entire package and have many factors that come into play.

All right, I’ll keep the pilot light on for Mizzou. I’m just not betting on it. I’m a Missouri resident and want to stay in-state. I’ve been accepted at both instate D.O. schools and get this, I just got an invite to Rush? They interview only 2% of out-of –state applicants. My stats are very average. So I don’t get the Rush invite. I’ll interview at Rush but I’m pretty sure I’ll stay in Missouri. If Mizzou comes calling, I’ll go. Thanks again and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
:scared: Tomorrow is D-Day round two! :scared: Anybody else heard any news?

natsayshi said:
:scared: Tomorrow is D-Day round two! :scared: Anybody else heard any news?

good luck natsayshi and others! I'm rooting for you all!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

I don't know that they'll notify in Feb.

If I recall correctly, they didn't do a Febuary notification last year b/c they were saving up for the big Accept/Reject/Waitlist notification in March.

They didn't tell anyone until somebody called the office after no one heard anything, it eventually made it to the SDN forums.

hey guys

im a MO resident that got in back in october....I'm not sure where I am going right now, but good luck!

Depakote said:

If I recall correctly, they didn't do a Febuary notification last year b/c they were saving up for the big Accept/Reject/Waitlist notification in March.

They didn't tell anyone until somebody called the office after no one heard anything, it eventually made it to the SDN forums.

For those who are waiting, i'd call the office tomorrow to make sure they're doing a feb notification... you don't want to get all worked up for nothing-- the stress could kill you!

I hope last year was just a fluke, and good luck again!

Depakote said:

Hmmm....You know what? Now that you mention it... I believe that they did say they would NOT be doing a February decision when I interviewed there two weeks ago. They gave us all a hand-out describing the process and then said that it was obsolete: all final decisions would be made after interviews are over at the end of February. I had totally forgotten this until it was mentioned here... no dice tomorrow.

I just knew that there had to be something to hold this up! Thanks guys for the heads up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for March!! What's another month in this waiting game...

Hey guys....
Just spoke to Judy Nolke today (Feb 16, 11:15 a.m. ET) and she said that no...unfortunately no decisions will be made until Feb 28 (i interviewed in January) and they will then send out emails and formal snail mail letters for ALL DECISIONS (acceptances, rejections, wait list) because the are completing all interviews by Feb 23. Thus, she said we would hear back around Feb 28-March 1 because the Dean would like to have the final say on all decisions!

Good luck guys! Hope all of us that really want to go... get in! :laugh: I'm counting on Mizzou but have already conceded to the fact that I might have to reapply next year...already studying for the april mcats!

jcob said:
Hey guys....
Just spoke to Judy Nolke today (Feb 16, 11:15 a.m. ET) and she said that no...unfortunately no decisions will be made until Feb 28 (i interviewed in January) and they will then send out emails and formal snail mail letters for ALL DECISIONS (acceptances, rejections, wait list) because the are completing all interviews by Feb 23. Thus, she said we would hear back around Feb 28-March 1 because the Dean would like to have the final say on all decisions!

Good luck guys! Hope all of us that really want to go... get in! :laugh: I'm counting on Mizzou but have already conceded to the fact that I might have to reapply next year...already studying for the april mcats!

Best of luck everybody. Thanks jcob.

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Does anyone know who the Dean of admission is? I checked on their website and didn't see a Dean of admission. Thanks a lot.

I guess we'll be getting our letters this week or next week. Good luck, everyone!

anybody heard when the letters went/are going out? :luck: :luck:

I talked to someone in the admissions department last Friday. They made their final decisions Thursday night and the admissions department are sending out emails all week. I asked about the email vs mail question and she said that some people will also be getting letters in the mail. I took this to mean that they will email people for acceptances, declines, and waitlists and send letters to people as they are accepted.

Has anyone heard anything yet? I can't take all the suspense. :(

How come i can't bump this thread up?

Just got a waitlist email. Does anyone have any idea how much approximate movement there has been in the past? I'm number 17...

I'm really sorry to hear that Depakote. I was freaking out before I opened the email knowing it could be a rejection. I don't think it's the classiest maneuver, but I hate waiting too...

Got the same email rejection.

I think they should have emailed for acceptances or waitlists. I'd rather read a letter in my hand first for a rejection.

Oh well.

:thumbdown: ,rejection email! Creighton for sure!

Wow...I can't believe they emailed a rejection.

Wolfgang12345 said:
Just got a waitlist email. Does anyone have any idea how much approximate movement there has been in the past? I'm number 17...

i am pretty sure you can basically consider yourself in. In the past 5 years or so they have gone to about umber 50 and a couple years ago, it was 77. they only fill their class with acceptances and everyone else is rejected or waitlisted so its a really good chance that of the 96 people accepted quite a few will decide not to go there. its not like a lot of schools that over accept and then start a waitlist. they sent out 96 acceptances and there are 96 people on the waitlist. i am number 39. i am going to email the pre med advisor at Mizzou to see if she can give any more details. #55 got in last year two weeks before orientation. he was the last one accepted.

midwest77 said:
i am pretty sure you can basically consider yourself in. In the past 5 years or so they have gone to about umber 50 and a couple years ago, it was 77. they only fill their class with acceptances and everyone else is rejected or waitlisted so its a really good chance that of the 96 people accepted quite a few will decide not to go there. its not like a lot of schools that over accept and then start a waitlist. they sent out 96 acceptances and there are 96 people on the waitlist. i am number 39. i am going to email the pre med advisor at Mizzou to see if she can give any more details. #55 got in last year two weeks before orientation. he was the last one accepted.

Thank you!!! You just totally made my day :D

Wolfgang12345 said:
Thank you!!! You just totally made my day :D

Congrats to you!..one of my friends was number 16 last year. i will email her and ask when she got her acceptance. its their test week so i probably wont email her til later but i will let you know

I got an emailed rejection too. I wasn't all that surprised. My interview was terrible. The second interviewer disagreed with me on something and gave me a 15 minute lecture on it at the very beginning of the interview. I know now what I should've said to put myself back in the running, but that didn't do me a whole lot of good at the time. Oh well, the word's still out on KU and I've been accepted at KCUMB. I'm just glad to be in somewhere! :)

Got the rejection email too. Mizzou is a Class act all the way. My husband has a client that teaches at MU’s medical school at agreed with my assumption that they are trying to up their statistics. If you had lower MCAT score or GPA, you didn’t have a chance. On the up side, I just got back today from interviewing at RUSH and kicked A##! What an amazing school. If I get accepted there it will be a hard choice to stay in state and go to KCOM or move to Illinois. Good luck to all of you entering school this fall and I’ll keep my fingers crossed for all of you still waiting.

Good luck on the waitlist Too!

What type of stats do you think they were looking for?

I had a decent MCAT score and GPA, (30, 3.65) thought the interview went well and I'm in state, but I also got the email rejection yesterday!

I guess I'll meet with Judy and see what the weaknesses were.

Helix,

Most likely they won't be able to tell you. If your MCAT or GPA are not lacking, then Judy can't tell you "your interview went bad" or "you need more EC's". They just can't. The whole process is random. Best of luck getting in somewhere else or trying again if you have to (I did).

Helix--
I would still contact Judy to see if you can set up an exit interview. Some schools offer these, where you meet with the dean of admissions, or another adcom member and go over your weaknesses and what you can do to strengthen your application for next year. I know that University of Washington does this, so I don't see why Missouri can't-- they have a much smaller applicant pool.
Frankly I'm surprised that you got an outright rejection rather than a waitlist. Sorry to hear that, but good luck in the future.

3Xhelix said:

I had a decent MCAT score and GPA, (30, 3.65) thought the interview went well and I'm in state, but I also got the email rejection yesterday!

I had a 32, 3.49 and good ECs. Didn't think my interview went the greatest but didn't think I was killed by it. This is the second time they've rejected me.

i got a weird email from Judy saying that she had found out through student services that I had received multiple acceptences and that if i have any questions that would make my decision easier to email her (i got in back in nov). anyone else get this? does mizzou have merit based scholarships?

pnasty said:
i got a weird email from Judy saying that she had found out through student services that I had received multiple acceptences and that if i have any questions that would make my decision easier to email her (i got in back in nov). anyone else get this? does mizzou have merit based scholarships?
Hmmm....if Mizzou does have merit-based scholarships I would be surprised if they are anything substantial. At least that was the impression I got from my short meeting with the financial aid advisor on my interview day. It'd be awesome if they did, though.

SuzieQ3417 said:
Hmmm....if Mizzou does have merit-based scholarships I would be surprised if they are anything substantial. At least that was the impression I got from my short meeting with the financial aid advisor on my interview day. It'd be awesome if they did, though.

?

Last edited:
3Xhelix said:

MCAT of 32 or higher
GPA 3.79 or higher