Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

University of Missouri in Columbia

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ahumdinger, Nov 16, 2005.

1. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Has anyone gotten an email from them yet? I know we are supposed to be notified this week about acceptances. From their "what happens after my interview" debriefing, I'm thinking that no email=acceptance by snail mail. So I'm just wondering if they've sent out emails yet about being thrown into next month's pool. I'm hoping for no email!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tegs15

tegs15 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I called yesterday and they said they were hoping to send (emai/mail ?) out info by the end of the week. Keeping my fingers crossed! :eek:

4. SuzieQ3417

SuzieQ3417 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So an email is a bad thing? Hmmm...and all this time I was religiously checking my account. When did you guys interview? I interviewed over a month ago and am starting to get anxious for some news. Best of luck! :luck:

5. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

well on the memo they gave us right after the interview, they said that each week, the committee votes on the people interviewed that week and each applicant gets a "score". And then, during the 3rd week of each month, they send out acceptances to a "pre-determined" number of applicants-- highest interview scores get in. The rest get thrown into the next month's pool and then are evaluated again at the 3rd week. During the 3rd week, they email you if you've been placed into the next pool. So basically, you either get accepted or rolled over. since Mizzou only interviews about 300 people, i doubt anyone gets rejected until the very end. You just keep getting rolled over. So since everyone will hear some notification, either by email or mail, if you don't get an email by the end of this week, or the beginning of next week, there's a great chance you were accepted! horray! So keep hoping for empty email inboxes!

6. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Decisions were made today for applicants interviewed up until now. I just got an email (BOOHOO!!) saying that I did not get accepted at this committee meeting, but I will be reconsidered next month. So to those who didn't get an email--- YOU'RE IN!! Congrats!

7. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anyone get an email from Mizzou today? Last two months the emails were sent out around 10am. I'm dying here!

8. tegs15

tegs15 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It just keeps dragging on! Already accepted elsewhere, Mizzou is still my first choice, but no matter what I just wish they would make some decisions and let us know.

9. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

did you get an email today? Really, our fates have already been decided. That is why I haven't sent update letters or anything. You'll recall that on our end-of-interview memo, they told us that we each get a score (practically right after the interview, i think-- they make the interviewers write up their reports right away) and then each month they just accept a pre-determined # of people. I'm guessing it's like ~20 people. So we've already gotten our scores, and we just have to hope we rise to the top 20 each month. So far I've gone 2 months, I'm hoping this month is it.

I'm thinking if I can make it to the end of the day without receiving an email saying "you were not selected this month," I'll call them to ask if they sent out update emails today.

Good luck to you!

10. tegs15

tegs15 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Any emails yet? NO EMAILS WANTED! Kinda like no Whammys.

11. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey tegs, I was looking through old threads, and apparently mizzou sends out acceptances over email too. So I guess no email today might just mean they haven't sent anything out yet. BAH! I can't take the suspense anymore.

12. tegs15

tegs15 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I called the first of the month and they confirmed that emails should be sent out the THIRD week. This is the third week-so where be those emails?

13. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Okay, my boyfriend just called mizzou for me 'cause I don't have my cell phone with me at work. The lady said that she's working on the emails now and that they'll be out by the end of the day.

edit: I'm going to die.

14. tegs15

tegs15 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ahumdinger-is this your first choice? Are you in-state and how many other schools did you apply to?

15. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

I'm "almost" in-state at Mizzou-- I work in st. louis and have strong ties to the state (went to high school here, came back after college to work) but on AMCAS I declared Washington to be my home state since I'm technically a resident there by virtue of being dependent on my parents who moved there before I went to college. I think they consider me out of state because they wouldn't give me a secondary at first, I had to write a letter showing strong connection to the state.

I applied to 18 schools total, rejected from 4, interviewed at 3, and haven't heard from the rest. I have no acceptances yet. Mizzou is my top realistic choice-- that is, I think I have a good chance of getting in, even if it means waiting until april, and my boyfriend goes to school in st. louis so it would be nice to be close. I was surprisingly impressed with the school when I visited-- I especially felt that it was a good fit for me since I am very used to small group work and a small class in general.

hope we'll be in the class of 2010 together!

16. tegs15

tegs15 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Keeping my fingers crossed. By the way when did you interview there?

17. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Nov. 9th. I've gone through 2 "third weeks" so far.

18. snobored18

snobored18 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I interviewed at Mizzou earlier this month they said the "third" week notifications might be delayed this month because Judy Nolke is out...just a head ups

19. tegs15

tegs15 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Same here, any this is my 3rd month. I interviewed on Halloween-the flight home was empty-I highly recommend traveling on that holiday. My impression of the students and facilities was higher than expected and the student rec center was fantastic. I could easily see my self watching a path cd while on the eliptical machine.

20. midwest77

midwest77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hey guys...no email here yet. one of the kids that i work with who lives in columbia got his acceptance letter in the mail AT HIS HOME (in KC) on Christmas eve. from their letter they made it sound like they would only send emails if you got put into the next round and that they would send letters for an acceptance. ~~~~im so nervous now that you said they were sending out emails TODAY....~~~~ :eek:

21. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yes, but the lady (I guess whoever's covering for Judy) said today that she was working on them and will get them out by the end of today.

22. midwest77

midwest77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i cant decide if i think your chances go down every month for the next round or up...what do you guys think

23. tegs15

tegs15 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Got to go down just by the fact that your subsequent chances decrease because of a constantly shrinking class size. :eek:

24. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

I think if we assume that the most qualified applicants interview early in the cycle, then for any given applicant who interviews relatively early, they have a slightly better chance of getting in each month, because the top (say, 20) students with the highest scores get in each month. I'm hoping I'm rising to the cream of the crop, soon.

25. midwest77

midwest77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

im with you...but probably because thats what i am hoping for.

26. 3Xhelix

3Xhelix Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

just got my "thanks but no thanks" (for this month at least) email.

27. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    anyone else hear yet? What is taking so long? Just press send!

28. midwest77

midwest77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i still havent heard anything...working at Mizzou today and i almost wanna walk over there and ask them if theyve sent everything out.

29. tegs15

tegs15 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just got back from class. Looks like 3xhelix got the email but nobody else? I still haven't got anything today-wonder if they send them at the same time or individually? :idea:

30. midwest77

midwest77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    who knows but this is driving me freakin nuts

31. tegs15

tegs15 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is no way that all three of us could have gotten in this month, is there?

32. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    5:02, and still nothing.

33. gbleeker

gbleeker Creighton, 2010
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I hope you all got in, I got an email today :(

34. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

your mdapplicants profile says you got a post-interview rejection. Is that the email you just got? I thought everyone got passed on from month to month. At any rate, sorry to hear that.

35. gbleeker

gbleeker Creighton, 2010
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

No no.. actually for some odd reason, my mdapplicants profile won't let me check MU to say that I just interviewed there. I have tried repeatedly to fix it. I am still on the quasi-waitlist there. I'm not rejected though mdapplicants says I am.

36. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    oh okay. Well, this is only your first time being passed, so hope you can endure the wait for just a while longer. Good luck! Don't freak out like me.

37. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I didn't hear anything today. (interviewed in Oct) Something doesn't seem quite right, that this many people would happen to get in in one month and all be on SDN in one thread.

If it means I'm in, great, but I'm not counting on anything until I've got a letter in-hand.

38. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

yeah, it seems too good to be true. I am going to call in the morning to make sure that all email notices were sent out today.

39. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    okay I just called, and I was told that they are behind but everything should be sent out by the end of the day.

Oh my god. How long does it take to send emails? There are only 300 people interviewed each year, so by now there are <300 people they have to deal with, and minus the 40 or so people they already accepted, how difficult could it be? It's not like they send out personalized emails anyway.
    BAH! people who got emails already, what letter does your last name start with? Are they doing it alphabetically?

40. Depakote

Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm growing enchanted and illusioned with the University of Missouri System...

>_>

41. Depakote

Attending Physician
    Just heard from them.

42. midwest77

midwest77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    this is so annoying...you would think they would just have a mass listserve and then they would take the peoples names off that list that got accepted since it would only be like twenty and then click SEND.

43. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    so do you think they're actually sending emails individually? But waiting 5 minutes or so between each one, just to screw with our heads?

44. midwest77

midwest77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    what is weird is that i had a friend who interviewed on dec 6th and got an acceptance on the 24th. you would have thought that he would have been in the january acceptances....i wasnt aware that they had any more interviews during the christmas break since no students were there. so my question is who is waiting for an email for the first time since it seems like some of the dec interviewers heard last month?!?

45. midwest77

midwest77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    just got the email...boo

46. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    every 3rd week of each month they accept a batch of people. So if your friend interviewed december 6, then he/she was in the batch for 3rd week of december. Since then, there have been about 3 weeks of interviews again, so now january interviewees as well as all the rest on the list (since october) will wait for a batch of acceptances.

47. Depakote

Attending Physician
    Accept me, reject me, delay me, it's all fine...

Please, just don't F*ck with me like this.

48. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    do you think they're sending them alphabetically or by amcas id? There must be some rhyme or reason!

49. snobored18

snobored18 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah Mizzou is does things soooo weird...I mea it makes no sense one could be interviewed in January and be accepted 2 weeks later but in the debriefing thats what we were told to expect...

50. midwest77

midwest77 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    for anyone who cares my last name starts with an R and my friend got the email about the same time last name starts with a T...hopefully you all hear better news than i. keep me posted :luck:

51. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

oh jebus, I hope they're not going backwards. I'm D.