university of missouri kansas city interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeeyo987

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. My name is shan, i havent posted in a while. I have an interview next week for umkc, anything i should keep in mind or do ahead of time. I also know they will be giving me a "high school level chemistry test." Any information on this or the interview will be much appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

what are your stats(act, gpa, etc...)? where are you from?

well my sat is 1320, gpa is 4.4, and im from south cali, i have a lot of extra cirricular pres of a lot of clubs, in sports, volunteered at hospitals. That all aside what should i know about as far as this umkc test

Members don't see this ad :)
zeeyo987 said:
Hi. My name is shan, i havent posted in a while. I have an interview next week for umkc, anything i should keep in mind or do ahead of time. I also know they will be giving me a "high school level chemistry test." Any information on this or the interview will be much appreciated, thank you.

I used to work at UMKC (in the school of biological sciences) and still keep in touch with my old boss. I liked all the people that where there a lot--good people. However, one thing to keep in mind: the turnover there right now is very high. The chancellor who was brought in a few years ago was a very contentious lady and forced people out. A lot of key people left over the last couple of years in the school of biological sciences (I cannot speak for the med school as i don't know the goings on there, but i cannot imagine that it was too different there). So there has been an exodus of talent.... Eventhough, i liked the people, i didn't apply to the school this year (i opted for KU instead).

zeeyo987 said:

zeeshan
is that the 6 year program at umkc?
i think my brother may have interviewed there last year
well go to there website and read up for the interview, also look up interviewfeedback on sdn
btw, u from stl?

zeeyo987 said:
any other info guys?
Just wait I am waiting too.I am in State and 32 on ACT and 3.96 weighed 4.88 weighed.But at interviewed they kept asking me if my parents are pushing me into.I being an Indian might be little hard as the interviewer was very suspicious.I personally think i am not going to get in as they like kids with 24 throgh 30 on ACT.
So just weight and see.I was told in April.I started a thread this morning but only onlookers answered.And no real reply.Good luck and we maybe classmates next year amigo.They have a lot of Indian kids.And Indian kids seldom drop out,however as their attrition rate is way high they are little careful.

I am from MO and was considering their 6 yr program 4 years ago. I went to visit and immediately decided not to apply. I got a very negative impression from their curriculum and they are located in a very poor area. It is not a location you would want to be in for 6 yrs. In addition I have heard that that many MD's that are coming out of there are not well prepared to be physicians. Their Dental school 6 yr program shut down recently, I believe for the same reason. I think UMKC is even considering shelving their 6 yr program and returning to a 4 yr program because of the level of preparedness their doctors are after graduating.

I think there's no reason to rush yourself into a medical career. In my humble opinion I think you should go through and undergraduate program, feel the rigors of the pre med life and MCAT's before going to medical school. You grow so much more as a person in four years and I feel that you are more prepared for the stresses of medical school because of that. This is just my opinion. But regarding UMKC I would reccomend not attending there. I have a friend at my undergrad that applied to UMKC and after visiting was very turned off. She was accepted and cried for a week hoping her parents would not make her go. I dont' think UMKC will prepare you to be a good physician in the future. There may be other 6 yr programs that are more qualified but I do not think UMKC is one of those.