2023-2024 Missouri - Kansas City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw that this school sent out secondaries-- anybody have the questions yet?

Saw that this school sent out secondaries-- anybody have the questions yet?
For the prompt on how COVID-19 effected our journey - it's a 2500 word limit. It didn't really effect me and I definitely can't write 2500 words. Do I have to write something that long?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the instructions for the supplemental application in the same email that said: "AMCAS Application Received"

How will your diversity/diverse experiences (e.g., gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, veteran status, from rural or underserved community, first generation student status) add to your career in medicine? (1000 Words)

Please describe how COVID-19 has impacted your pathway to becoming a Physician. The questions below will help you get started but do not limit your responses to these considerations: (2500 Words)

• Academic: Did your school move to an online-only curriculum? Were you able to interact with your professors? Did you have to leave an academic program stateside or abroad? Did your school require you to move to the Pass/Fail grading system? Did your original MCAT exam get canceled or delayed? Were there other academic barriers?
  • Professional: Did you hold a job? Did you have to go out and seek new job opportunities? Did you lose a job? Were there other financial or professional barriers that you faced?
  • Personal: Did you have to move out of a house or dorm? Did you have to cancel travel plans? Did you modify your planned experiences related to healthcare or volunteer opportunities? Did you seek out volunteer opportunities that arose from the crisis?

If you are interested in rural healthcare or in practicing a specialty that meets the needs of underserved rural communities, please describe your interest in this aspect of healthcare.

How long did you all make your secondaries? Did you all reach max word count on all of them?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the interviews begin? I’m a little surprised I haven’t heard back yet since they usually send rejections, WL, and II at the same time.

IS WL yesterday :/. Any accepted students know the deadline for commitment?

IS acceptance to KC today after WL yesterday!

Anyone know if the 11/6 deadline to accept offer is final?

I just wish they start in the fall like other schools. I am waiting on other interview decisions and have more coming up so totally lost on what to do

Hi! Congratulations on your acceptance. They typically give applicants 1-2 weeks after acceptance to withdraw from other medical schools. This is just because onboarding starts in early December and they want to have as many seats locked down as possible. I understand the frustration, but in my own case, I could not hear back from most programs before the deadline. I knew one kid who held on to interview dates after the deadlines and their offer was rescinded when the school heard about it. The risk is up to you perhaps. If you are serious about UMKC I recommend withdrawing them before the date.

As for starting in January, I agree it was weird but it is VERY nice graduating in December before the match and having all of that freedom.

Hi! Congratulations on your acceptance. They typically give applicants 1-2 weeks after acceptance to withdraw from other medical schools. This is just because onboarding starts in early December and they want to have as many seats locked down as possible. I understand the frustration, but in my own case, I could not hear back from most programs before the deadline. I knew one kid who held on to interview dates after the deadlines and their offer was rescinded when the school heard about it. The risk is up to you perhaps. If you are serious about UMKC I recommend withdrawing them before the date.

As for starting in January, I agree it was weird but it is VERY nice graduating in December before the match and having all of that freedom.
Thank you very much, they gave until 11/6 to accept the offer but there is no way I will hear back from other schools by then.
So if I accept the offer and get accepted at another program in December, I can’t withdraw right? It is like they automatically withdraw me from other schools I guess?

Did you decide to take the risk and wait for other programs? I really like UMKC but I would choose the other programs over them

Thank you very much, they gave until 11/6 to accept the offer but there is no way I will hear back from other schools by then.
So if I accept the offer and get accepted at another program in December, I can’t withdraw right? It is like they automatically withdraw me from other schools I guess?

Did you decide to take the risk and wait for other programs? I really like UMKC but I would choose the other programs over them
There is a tool to withdraw from other programs in AMCAS if I recall correctly, they will expect you to use this. I was not required to send in confirmation, and yes it is unlikely that you would hear back from other schools that early. I can not tell you the percent risk you would be "caught" but just know that I do know students that have lost their acceptances at other schools when UMKC has called in the past and told them a student was already committed and told them they had withdrawn other apps. It becomes an honesty/integrity issue. I also know two students that did end up getting away with it, but they went to DO schools.

For me, it was an easy choice. UMKC was a good fit. It has strong clinical experience and wonderful institutions and has state tuition.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
There is a tool to withdraw from other programs in AMCAS if I recall correctly, they will expect you to use this. I was not required to send in confirmation, and yes it is unlikely that you would hear back from other schools that early. I can not tell you the percent risk you would be "caught" but just know that I do know students that have lost their acceptances at other schools when UMKC has called in the past and told them a student was already committed and told them they had withdrawn other apps. It becomes an honesty/integrity issue. I also know two students that did end up getting away with it, but they went to DO schools.

For me, it was an easy choice. UMKC was a good fit. It has strong clinical experience and wonderful institutions and has state tuition.
Thank you very much for the helpful response. It will be a hard choice but I will either withdraw before the 11/6 deadline or accept and not wait for other programs. Good luck to you and congratulations as well!

I’m confused why I’ve haven’t heard back yet…. no pre-II R either. Their site said they send all interview decisions by late september

received a waitlist on Oct 25th like many others, wondering if there’s any movement?

I’m confused why I’ve haven’t heard back yet…. no pre-II R either. Their site said they send all interview decisions by late september
As someone who received an interview already, I can confirm that they verbally stated there will be no more and that all interviews occurred in central October. Couldn't tell you why they've been slow on the R. Last year they gave out the "no more interviews" R around mid October.

received a waitlist on Oct 25th like many others, wondering if there’s any movement?
If I recall from the interview, I believe they said the first two sets of acceptances are both in batches.

(I was actually checking this thread to see if anyone knew of the second batch and/or got the A!)

So if we’re still on the waitlist now we can assume it’s R, right?

So if we’re still on the waitlist now we can assume it’s R, right?
Definitely hard to tell since the prior year threads don't have much conversation either. The way I see it, it is probably best not to hold one's breath, but if it were actually over they'd have sent the "thank you for applying" letter.