2022-2023 Missouri, Kansas City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if anyone knows about this, but there's an added campus now with a rural focus. So there's going to be around 40 people admitted per year. Also, UMKC does admit out of state and regional applicants. Don't give up on UMKC if you're not from Missouri. Apply and see what happens. You may get the golden ticket to being a physician.

Everyone says don't apply to UMKC if you are out of state because you won't have a chance, but this is simply not true. Every year, there are out of state and regional students that attend.
Very true, I know several friends and acquaintances from the previous cycle who got in from bordering Midwest states so definitely don't count yourself out especially if you're a regional applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received a secondary? If so, when were you verified?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang pre-II R due to C in Genetics. Their website doesn't mention any substitutes, any advice? Wanted to come here before emailing :cryi:

B or above in cell bio, genetics, and biochem is a weird requirement to have. Honestly, the best thing you can do is just email them and explain why you got a C in the class if there were any extenuating circumstances. If there weren't, your best bet is letting them know you're really interested in their program because of _____ and they might overlook your grade if you have a strong reason to attend. Either way, good luck with the rest of your cycle man. It's only one school and still really early don't let it get ya down :)

Not sure if anyone knows about this, but there's an added campus now with a rural focus. So there's going to be around 40 people admitted per year. Also, UMKC does admit out of state and regional applicants. Don't give up on UMKC if you're not from Missouri. Apply and see what happens. You may get the golden ticket to being a physician.

Everyone says don't apply to UMKC if you are out of state because you won't have a chance, but this is simply not true. Every year, there are out of state and regional students that attend.
So UMKC only accepts about 40 people a year (not including the BA/MD program)?

Pre-II R due to prerequisites (cell biology & genetics). I emailed to tell them I was an engineering major and published three papers in biology and closely related fields but they replied:

"These prerequisites are a requirement that were selected by the chairman. Unfortunately, we would need these courses to have a completed application."

Hopefully anyone in the same boat as me has better luck than me - or simply saves some money!

Pre-II R due to prerequisites (cell biology & genetics). I emailed to tell them I was an engineering major and published three papers in biology and closely related fields but they replied:

"These prerequisites are a requirement that were selected by the chairman. Unfortunately, we would need these courses to have a completed application."

Hopefully anyone in the same boat as me has better luck than me - or simply saves some money!
I’m currently disputing this and told them about other courses that may substitute. They want the syllabus from that year I took it which is insane and I’ve been emailing old professors. No luck yet but if you think you have courses that could substitute I’d try to email them.

Has anyone posted the Secondary Application Essays?

Members don't see this ad :)
What were the Secondary essay prompts?
Please describe how COVID-19 has impacted your pathway to becoming a Physician. The questions below will help you get started but do not limit your responses to these considerations:

If you are interested in rural healthcare or in practicing a specialty that meets the needs of underserved rural communities, please describe your interest in this aspect of healthcare.

"How will your diversity/diverse experiences (e.g., gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, veteran status, from rural or underserved community, first generation student status) add to your career in medicine?"

Please describe how COVID-19 has impacted your pathway to becoming a Physician. The questions below will help you get started but do not limit your responses to these considerations:

If you are interested in rural healthcare or in practicing a specialty that meets the needs of underserved rural communities, please describe your interest in this aspect of healthcare.

"How will your diversity/diverse experiences (e.g., gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, veteran status, from rural or underserved community, first generation student status) add to your career in medicine?"
If you don't mind sharing and if it is not against any policies, what are the word-count/character-counts for these questions.

How long does it take for the secondary to come in? My primary just got verified today.

I’m currently disputing this and told them about other courses that may substitute. They want the syllabus from that year I took it which is insane and I’ve been emailing old professors. No luck yet but if you think you have courses that could substitute I’d try to email them.
Just to update y'all and give others some hope, I sent in several syllabi for classes to substitute for the C in genetics lecture I have, and fortunately they said that my graduate level Microbiology/Immunology was a comparable substitute for Genetics Lecture!! They have removed the indication saying my application is incomplete! Good luck for others in similar positions

Did anyone here apply to the UMKC Med Scholars program? I believe this is the early assurance program from their partnership with 11-12 undergraduate institutions. Im applying from University of Illinois - Chicago if anybody else is in the same boat as me.

Did anyone here apply to the UMKC Med Scholars program? I believe this is the early assurance program from their partnership with 11-12 undergraduate institutions. Im applying from University of Illinois - Chicago if anybody else is in the same boat as me.
I went to UIC and only learned about it after I graduated and have a bit of regret. I'd imagine you'd have a decent shot if you're a good mission fit and meet all the academic criteria. I have a friend applying through Med Scholars though and he hasn't heard anything back yet, good luck!

I went to UIC and only learned about it after I graduated and have a bit of regret. I'd imagine you'd have a decent shot if you're a good mission fit and meet all the academic criteria. I have a friend applying through Med Scholars though and he hasn't heard anything back yet, good luck!
for sure, we had an informational meeting with the adcoms and like 30 of us were there so I'd imagine it's still competitive as is any med school admissions. Keep me posted on your friend and whether they get any update from Med Scholars!

for sure, we had an informational meeting with the adcoms and like 30 of us were there so I'd imagine it's still competitive as is any med school admissions. Keep me posted on your friend and whether they get any update from Med Scholars!
Will do! Definitely still competitive, but much less so than other traditional MD programs (probably because of the January start date). Hopefully the same holds for Med Scholars. Tbh this program is a hidden gem, good for us that everyone hasn't caught on yet.

My friend from Lincoln U just got an interview invite, but it has been crickets for me so far. Hopefully they're sending it out school by school but not holding my hopes up too high. Best of luck to all the applicants and hopefully my next cycle goes a lot better since I have labeled UMKC as a soft rejection already haha.

OOS II WL received today. Does anyone know if this is a soft rejection? They don't get a ton of applicants comparatively, so hoping it isn't.

Just got put on the interview waitlist...anyone know what the history with these usually are? Is it unlikely to get an II? OOS w/ ties, Submitted 7/8

IS II Waitlist (submitted secondary on 8/1)

IS II (complete 7/28) !! Does anyone know if you can tell whether you are being considered for KC or St. Joseph campus?

IS II (complete 7/28) !! Does anyone know if you can tell whether you are being considered for KC or St. Joseph campus?
From the portal, no, I haven’t been able to tell.

I applied this route! I haven't heard anything yet besides that my app was complete and under review by the adcoms. Hopefully something will be sent out soon!! Looks like interviews will be in October according to the website so maybe II's will come out this week!

I applied this route! I haven't heard anything yet besides that my app was complete and under review by the adcoms. Hopefully something will be sent out soon!! Looks like interviews will be in October according to the website so maybe II's will come out this week!
Yeah, I'm in the same boat, but during previous cycles they sent interview invites for MD and for this program at the same time, so I would say it's safe to assume that if you did not receive any update right now, then it's a soft rejection since they sent invites out end of last week. I was a bit disappointed since I felt very good about my app, but looks like UMKC just isn't the school for me. I believe we'll get that official rejection notice via postal mail in a few weeks as per their website.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, but during previous cycles they sent interview invites for MD and for this program at the same time, so I would say it's safe to assume that if you did not receive any update right now, then it's a soft rejection since they sent invites out end of last week. I was a bit disappointed since I felt very good about my app, but looks like UMKC just isn't the school for me. I believe we'll get that official rejection notice via postal mail in a few weeks as per their website.
I initially hoped that they would go school by school for this guaranteed MD program, but looks like all their interview invites have been sent :(, since my friend who applied from a different uni got her invite mid last week.

I initially hoped that they would go school by school for this guaranteed MD program, but looks like all their interview invites have been sent :(, since my friend who applied from a different uni got her invite mid last week.
Just got an II for medical scholars!

Anyone else hear back from Med Scholars Early Assurance Program?

From the portal, no, I haven’t been able to tell.
In the "resources files" under the interview tab in my portal, there is a section for the St. Joesph campus with videos and campus information. I feel like that could give information for what campus you are interviewing for so I am curious if everyone has this or if some people have information on the Kansas City campus?

In the "resources files" under the interview tab in my portal, there is a section for the St. Joesph campus with videos and campus information. I feel like that could give information for what campus you are interviewing for so I am curious if everyone has this or if some people have information on the Kansas City campus?
I think everyone has this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we just get assigned to a campus if we are accepted to UMKC MD. Is this correct?

Still a bit confused after my interview and wanting some clarification. If I get an A and accept, then AMCAS automatically sends out a withdrawal for other schools I applied to? Kinda wanted to keep my options open, but I was very impressed with the interview.

Still a bit confused after my interview and wanting some clarification. If I get an A and accept, then AMCAS automatically sends out a withdrawal for other schools I applied to? Kinda wanted to keep my options open, but I was very impressed with the interview.
Following. I really don't know how that works. Someone asked a question yesterday in the interview about it, but I didn't feel like the answer was super informative. AMCAS's withdrawal deadline is April 30 - meaning you have to have a medical school selected by then. But I don't know how that works with UMKC since they start in January. I would imagine that once you start classes, all other apps have to be withdrawn, but I'm not sure.

Hey all, I am a current student at UMKC. As with all other medical schools, no automatic withdrawals of applications will or can be issued. You will need to email the schools and withdraw manually. I believe it varies SOME from year to year, but we were given two weeks from our offer of acceptance to make our decision and withdraw our other apps.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Hey all, I am a current student at UMKC. As with all other medical schools, no automatic withdrawals of applications will or can be issued. You will need to email the schools and withdraw manually. I believe it varies SOME from year to year, but we were given two weeks from our offer of acceptance to make our decision and withdraw our other apps.

Happy to answer any other questions.
Oh...shoot. So if we were offered admission, we have to withdraw once we accept the offer...not just once we start classes?

Oh...shoot. So if we were offered admission, we have to withdraw once we accept the offer...not just once we start classes?
I think you are right (or at least this is how i interpreted what they said during info sessions also).

I feel like the difficulty of a January matriculation is just now becoming real to me, also. I won't have heard admissions decisions from ANY of the other programs I have interviewed at / have II's at by the time I'd have to accept an A at UMKC. I really like this school and the interview day was amazing, but I wish they'd stop building their school around the 6yr program and just play the MD admissions game like everybody else. Might as well only allow ED applicants for MD program if they're gonna keep doing things like they are now.

I think you are right (or at least this is how i interpreted what they said during info sessions also).

I feel like the difficulty of a January matriculation is just now becoming real to me, also. I won't have heard admissions decisions from ANY of the other programs I have interviewed at / have II's at by the time I'd have to accept an A at UMKC. I really like this school and the interview day was amazing, but I wish they'd stop building their school around the 6yr program and just play the MD admissions game like everybody else. Might as well only allow ED applicants for MD program if they're gonna keep doing things like they are now.
I know. Truthfully, I was SO impressed with the school on interview day. Everything about the school is amazing, and I freaking love Kansas City. But I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't be a hard decision - even if I was accepted to my top choice campus. I have another school that I'm interviewing at (arguably my top choice) but may have to withdraw before I even hear back about the interview IF I am accepted to the KC campus. Ugh. Who knows though...it may be that you get to wait until classes start to withdraw, as I know that's how it is at many schools.

I know. Truthfully, I was SO impressed with the school on interview day. Everything about the school is amazing, and I freaking love Kansas City. But I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't be a hard decision - even if I was accepted to my top choice campus. I have another school that I'm interviewing at (arguably my top choice) but may have to withdraw before I even hear back about the interview IF I am accepted to the KC campus. Ugh. Who knows though...it may be that you get to wait until classes start to withdraw, as I know that's how it is at many schools.
It sounds like we are in extremely similar situations LOL. But yes the interview day was amazing--this was my first MMI and they have me fully convinced that MMI is the way of the future.

It sounds like we are in extremely similar situations LOL. But yes the interview day was amazing--this was my first MMI and they have me fully convinced that MMI is the way of the future.
I know. I felt like their software was incredibly easy to use, and I actually liked having multiple faculty interviewers get to see me as a candidate. 10/10 experience.