2022-2023 Missouri, Kansas City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh...shoot. So if we were offered admission, we have to withdraw once we accept the offer...not just once we start classes?
I think you are right (or at least this is how i interpreted what they said during info sessions also).

I feel like the difficulty of a January matriculation is just now becoming real to me, also. I won't have heard admissions decisions from ANY of the other programs I have interviewed at / have II's at by the time I'd have to accept an A at UMKC. I really like this school and the interview day was amazing, but I wish they'd stop building their school around the 6yr program and just play the MD admissions game like everybody else. Might as well only allow ED applicants for MD program if they're gonna keep doing things like they are now.
Hey guys, you would indeed only have two weeks to withdraw other acceptances after accepting your offer. Normally you would have until April 30th to use the choose your medical school tool, which also forces you to pick one acceptance and withdraw all others/waitlists, etc. AFAIK.

It is definitely a challenging decision, though an excellent problem to be dealing with as it means you have an acceptance to medical school. As for the January start, it is really just chosen to be in line with where the curriculum starts for the 6 years. It is unfortunate but it comes with many many MANY benefits. You have lots of time off in your first year. You also get the choice to Graduate in December instead of the normal summer graduation. This gives you six months before residency to pursue a research project, work another gig, get caught up on family time before residency, and take that two-week trip to Europe. It also allows you to start earlier in residency. Once you match, many residencies will let you start earlier than the original date and it can give you a real advantage in terms of acclimating to the program. Many students also study for step 3 during those six months and take it very soon after starting residency. So they don't have to worry about it during their intern year. There are some real plusses to the start and end times. You can also delay your graduation and have 6 more months of free choice electives if that is what you want. To explore more subspecialties or do research electives.

While I acknowledge that it is difficult to withdraw from other apps this early, it is necessary for them to lockdown their class size as soon as they can so they can start onboarding you. April 30th deadline gives a few months to most medical schools with the choose my medical school tool, their acceptances go out and thats about how much time UMKC gets here.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
R yesterday after Alt list for Interview
+1, I heard from my friends who attend UMKC that many of the individuals in the current 3rd year of the 6 year program have remediated and thus there is less seats available for us applying now...

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
+1, I heard from my friends who attend UMKC that many of the individuals in the current 3rd year of the 6 year program have remediated and thus there is less seats available for us applying now...
Geez, I wonder how many seats that will take up because I think there are only ~40 spots per campus

Geez, I wonder how many seats that will take up because I think there are only ~40 spots per campus
Yep, lol sucks for us. I'm speaking solely about the KC campus however so, I'm unsure of the other. Wouldn't be surprised if only 20-30 spots were available

It's actually only 40 seats TOTAL believe it or not. ~20 for each campus. Ridiculously few seats. And the majority of them go to MO residents.

• Wow
It's actually only 40 seats TOTAL believe it or not. ~20 for each campus. Ridiculously few seats. And the majority of them go to MO residents.
It is 40-45 per year. There was a large number of remediations this year. That said in my time it was still locked in. Like they will filter into BA/MD slots not MD slots. I can try to confirm it still works the same on Thursday.

Lol R.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there
I recently got accepted into UMKC medical school st. Joseph campus. Wanted to know how well students from there match into specialties, specifically dermatology, because I know it's a primarily rural medical school and opened up recently.

Hey there
I recently got accepted into UMKC medical school st. Joseph campus. Wanted to know how well students from there match into specialties, specifically dermatology, because I know it's a primarily rural medical school and opened up recently.
You can find match information using MSAR.

Hi all, was wondering if I could have some clarification with the admissions process. I received an A from UMKC, and have to decide if I want to take the A within two weeks. However, I had an interview today at my dream school, and will hear back from them in 4-6 weeks regarding a decision. My question is: could I take the A for UMKC now, and if I get accepted to my dream school in 4-6 weeks, withdraw from UMKC and plan to attend my dream school? From what I understand, I would have to let other schools know about my acceptance to UMKC by Dec 1.

While I was very impressed with UMKC, my dream school is just that; my dream. I honestly never thought I would even get a II. On the other hand, I don't want to throw away an A to a MD school. Please help
You must follow the school's policies regarding withdrawal. Otherwise, there will be consequences from AAMC.

Never throw away an A to a US MD program or any medical school.

Please describe how COVID-19 has impacted your pathway to becoming a Physician. The questions below will help you get started but do not limit your responses to these considerations:

If you are interested in rural healthcare or in practicing a specialty that meets the needs of underserved rural communities, please describe your interest in this aspect of healthcare.

"How will your diversity/diverse experiences (e.g., gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, veteran status, from rural or underserved community, first generation student status) add to your career in medicine?"
What's the word/character count for these prompts? If you're able to share this.

How do they inform you of an admissions decisions? I was an early admissions candidate, and I haven't heard back yet. Just wondering if its via email or not!

you meant characters (with spaces), right? 😅
Nope, it was words lol but they didn’t expect people to max out on it. I called their office when I was doing my secondary, and they said 250-500 words was fine for them. They put 2500 words to allow people with extenuating circumstances to explain themselves fully.

A off the waitlist today! KC campus !!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y’all, after getting another acceptance this weekend, I decided to withdraw my A from here. I hope someone else’s dream can come true today! Good luck to you all! 🥹😊

Does anyone know if this school is pass fail? I can’t seem to find grading info anywhere