University of New England Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally got an interview. its on April 8th however, and I have a few concerns

1.) Will it be tougher for me to get admitted since it is rolling admissions and the majority of the spots have been taken up?

2.) speaking of spots taken up, anybody know how many spots have been taken?

3.) on a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult was the interview?

4.) what were the difficult parts of the intervew? I hard someone say the essay was difficult? what did you do to prepare for the interview?

5.) how many people are interview and how many are admitted (including waitlist).

any feedback would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

1.) Will it be tougher for me to get admitted since it is rolling admissions and the majority of the spots have been taken up?

4.) what were the difficult parts of the intervew? I hard someone say the essay was difficult? what did you do to prepare for the interview?

5.) how many people are interview and how many are admitted (including waitlist).

Kjong just told me that there are 7 cycles for the interview: [x] December 10, 2010
[x] January 28, 2011
[x] February 18, 2011
- March 4, 2011
...- March 25, 2011
- April 8, 2011
- April 22, 2011
SO yours would be the 6th one. Even though it's rolling admission, there are many people not sending their deposit, cuz the school is only candidate status.
SO I don't think there are even half of the spots were taken (we only have 7 people on facebook confirmed so far). You still have plenty of chance. My interview was a blast, we ended talking about my personal life after 3-4 typical questions about why pharmacy why UNE. What do u know about pharm field. Don't stress out. My interview was around a 4 compared to my other interviews.
The writing was about ethical, but you work in group, and they only grade it for 8% of the interview. No worries.
700 applied, 200 interviewed, 100 accepted.
If you read a couple pages back, and the school feedback you should be fine.
Did you submit your application late? Don't psych yourself out. Be confident.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/UNE-PharmD-Class-of-2015/139818502746315

Kjong just told me that there are 7 cycles for the interview: [x] December 10, 2010
[x] January 28, 2011
[x] February 18, 2011
- March 4, 2011
...- March 25, 2011
- April 8, 2011
- April 22, 2011
SO yours would be the 6th one. Even though it's rolling admission, there are many people not sending their deposit, cuz the school is only candidate status.
SO I don't think there are even half of the spots were taken (we only have 7 people on facebook confirmed so far). You still have plenty of chance. My interview was a blast, we ended talking about my personal life after 3-4 typical questions about why pharmacy why UNE. What do u know about pharm field. Don't stress out. My interview was around a 4 compared to my other interviews.
The writing was about ethical, but you work in group, and they only grade it for 8% of the interview. No worries.
700 applied, 200 interviewed, 100 accepted.
If you read a couple pages back, and the school feedback you should be fine.
Did you submit your application late? Don't psych yourself out. Be confident.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/UNE-PharmD-Class-of-2015/139818502746315

thanks for the quick feedback, I submitted my application on January 2nd or somewhere around that time, got an email from Isaac saying that once we see your fall grades you will be invited. pharmcas took forever so I decided to send the transcripts to him instead, got an email for invitation this past week. good to hear you enjoyed the interview, hope mine is just as great. this is my second SDN account cuz for some reason my other account doesnt work

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the quick feedback, I submitted my application on January 2nd or somewhere around that time, got an email from Isaac saying that once we see your fall grades you will be invited. pharmcas took forever so I decided to send the transcripts to him instead, got an email for invitation this past week. good to hear you enjoyed the interview, hope mine is just as great. this is my second SDN account cuz for some reason my other account doesnt work
Oh wow, that's pretty late. Last year I submitted my application in Nov, but I only sent it to accredited schools ( so stupid of me), so I ended up spending way too much money on nothing. I think if you show up to the interview, you're more than likely 75% in. Dr. Curt during the presentation said that "We don't want you guys flying over for nothing" lol. So be Confident.

Oh wow, that's pretty late. Last year I submitted my application in Nov, but I only sent it to accredited schools ( so stupid of me), so I ended up spending way too much money on nothing. I think if you show up to the interview, you're more than likely 75% in. Dr. Curt during the presentation said that "We don't want you guys flying over for nothing" lol. So be Confident.

got my account working again. yeah i was very iffy on applying to a non-accredited school but my dad gave me the go ahead and it has come to this and some other schools. is there a section on UNE website where it mentions what portion of the interviewed applicants get admitted. how much weight does the interview have on the admissions process? does the adcom take a holistic approach or is just interview or bust from now on?

How was your interview at UNE? I rescheduled mine to march 25th because i have spring break at that time and i have a schedule conflict with the march 4th interview. what do you think of UNE? any tips? i hope you'll get in and is UNE your first choice?
It went well. Im impressed by the school, the faculty really wants to know you, and they really want to know more about the school. mcphs was about the same for me. Im impressed by the school, Im not accepted yet, but do research on the school (UNE in general) not just the pharmacy school. Know more about Maine. The interviewer said "Oh, you really did your homework" to me like three times.

1. Yes tougher but that's the same with any school with rolling admissions. BUT better luck with candidate schools.

2. Unknown but less than 100!

3. With 10 being most difficult and 1 being easy... I'd say it was a 3-4.

4. WAITING was the most difficult! Anticipation sucks. Essay is something that has neither a wrong or right answer. They just want to know can you state your idea and back it up.

5. see answer #2

Did they give you a choice on interview dates, I submitted my application late because I decided last minute to apply there. When did you submit your application?

Did they give you a choice on interview dates, I submitted my application late because I decided last minute to apply there. When did you submit your application?

Isaac Stickney will offer you the next available interview date. If you are unable to RSVP, you can attend any date after.

So quick question... I think it might have been answered before, but I don't remember seeing it... Once an acceptance letter is mailed, how long is there to send in the deposit before you are SOL? Is it the usual 2 weeks like most schools?

Also, I have seen some people post that they interview 200 accept 100... well thats true and not true... according to PharmCAS they accept 150 of the 200 interviewees but enroll 100, which means 50 say no thanks. Which means great things for the rest of us that haven't interviewed

Oh, I am going to be there on the 25th! Anyone staying at La Quinta?

got my account working again. yeah i was very iffy on applying to a non-accredited school but my dad gave me the go ahead and it has come to this and some other schools. is there a section on UNE website where it mentions what portion of the interviewed applicants get admitted. how much weight does the interview have on the admissions process? does the adcom take a holistic approach or is just interview or bust from now on?
I think the interview is said to be 50% of your chances to get in. But It seems to be way more than 50%, cuz a great percentage of people attending the interview got accepted. I don't know what a holistic interview would be, But I am pretty sure that the interview is just a regular interview with 2 staff interviewers (one professor and one pharmacist or 2 professors). They accept people as they go based on the amount of deposit they get for the previous interview cycles. I know that many people from my cycle (1st one) declined and didn't send in their deposit, so there is not really a way to know how many will be accepted for upcoming interviews, b/c they have to stop at a point in time when the deposit for 100 students are received and confirmed. According to Dr. Curt at the orientation, 200 interviewed and 100 will be accepted. That doesn't mean they would stop accepting people after 100 acceptance letters are mailed out. They have to make sure that they have enough people for the class (95-100) as well not going over board with the acceptance in case only a few people declined.
Anyhow, Be confident and positive. UNE is research based and they pretty have the health care education covered (Dental school will be opened in 2012 too), so I am pretty sure they will get accredited when the first class graduate and pass their Naplex.

So quick question... I think it might have been answered before, but I don't remember seeing it... Once an acceptance letter is mailed, how long is there to send in the deposit before you are SOL? Is it the usual 2 weeks like most schools?

Also, I have seen some people post that they interview 200 accept 100... well thats true and not true... according to PharmCAS they accept 150 of the 200 interviewees but enroll 100, which means 50 say no thanks. Which means great things for the rest of us that haven't interviewed

Oh, I am going to be there on the 25th! Anyone staying at La Quinta?

Two weeks after acceptance :)
$1000 deposit #1
$1000 deposit #1 due in June

They will just send you a date. I sumbitted my PharmCAS application on 1/23 it was mailed 1/31 and I had an interview date email on 2/15. I am going to assume the March interviews are full and you probably would get 4/8 or 4/22.

Members don't see this ad :)
They will just send you a date. I sumbitted my PharmCAS application on 1/23 it was mailed 1/31 and I had an interview date email on 2/15. I am going to assume the March interviews are full and you probably would get 4/8 or 4/22.

Mitchell, is that youuu? :) HIII!!

Mitchell, is that youuu? :) HIII!!
I thought so too. But Oregonite is going on the interview on the 25th. Mitchell's already accepted. Mitchell will be very curious to know about someone traveling from Portland to Portland like he does. Haha

Last edited:
I thought so too. But Oregonite is going on the interview on the 25th. Mitchell's already accepted. Mitchell will be very curious to know about someone traveling from Portland to Portland like he does. Haha
Hey Soucal! Finally joined studentdoctor. I vowed to never join this site, but I guess that failed... So yes, I am curious to know who else is a fellow Portland, Oregonian! I was in the Jan 28th interview and have secured my spot for the UNE Class of 2015. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Btw this is Mitchell. Had to finally join when I saw that a fellow Oregonian was here,

Hey Soucal! Finally joined studentdoctor. I vowed to never join this site, but I guess that failed... So yes, I am curious to know who else is a fellow Portland, Oregonian! I was in the Jan 28th interview and have secured my spot for the UNE Class of 2015. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Btw this is Mitchell. Had to finally join when I saw that a fellow Oregonian was here,

I'm glad I have such power haha.

It seems like people from the jan 28th interview are more serious about putting down the deposit. Where are the people from the first cycle????

It seems like people from the jan 28th interview are more serious about putting down the deposit. Where are the people from the first cycle????

I was in the first interview cycle and have sent in a deposit. I don't have a facebook account yet.

I was in the first interview cycle and have sent in a deposit. I don't have a facebook account yet.
You should join facebook, so I don't feel so left out lol besides, it's peer pressure. We have one other student Ali from the first cycle too. I thought you're still deciding between the 2 schools in Maine right? Which table were you sitting? I only remembered people from my table :((. I was sitting at the big rectangle table, right next to the window away from the main door.

does anyone know what is the schedule during the interview day? will be coming for march 25th . thanks

We had color coded name tags; green, red and blue if i remember correctly. First we went to the waiting area for where they provided snacks, drinks and coffee. We were then lead downstairs were the assistant dean gave a presentation about the school. I think we were then divided into our groups. Some went back upstairs to wait to be interviewed while others stayed behind for the writing sample. After about 30 minutes the groups switch. After that is a tour given by a pair of UNE students. We were given a voucher for free lunch at the cafeteria. Then toured the rest of the "campus", the pharmacy building, library, etc. After that we reconvened at the waiting area, said our goodbyes and that was it. good luck at the interview.

does anyone know what is the schedule during the interview day? will be coming for march 25th . thanks

copy/pasted:

Interview day...

- Check in with Isaac
- Have breakfast and chat with the other applicants
- Dr. Curt Cyr will go over the entire curriculum of the Pharm.D program
- Split into three groups (waiting, writing sample, interview).
- Lunch time with your tour guides
- Tour of the College of Pharmacy building and of the Portland Campus (gym? library? on-campus eating?)

copy/pasted:

Interview day...

- Check in with Isaac
- Have breakfast and chat with the other applicants
- Dr. Curt Cyr will go over the entire curriculum of the Pharm.D program
- Split into three groups (waiting, writing sample, interview).
- Lunch time with your tour guides
- Tour of the College of Pharmacy building and of the Portland Campus (gym? library? on-campus eating?)
Geez, Jkong, I thought you have an interview today. lol. How was it???

Im depressed. Im still waiting on that letter. Will take next friday to receive it? did you guys receive it on a wednesday?
did they tell you 1 week? If they said one week wait then you can email Isaac and ask if you're accepted. I emailed him on the Thursday after, and apparently he didn't email me to let me know that I was accepted, I only had the acceptance letter through regular mail. Good Luck.

did they tell you 1 week? If they said one week wait then you can email Isaac and ask if you're accepted. I emailed him on the Thursday after, and apparently he didn't email me to let me know that I was accepted, I only had the acceptance letter through regular mail. Good Luck.
they said 2 weeks. But I gave him a email after you posted.

they said 2 weeks. But I gave him a email after you posted.
Oh if they said 2 weeks, then maybe they are meeting today for the decision (I think the Ad Com meets on Fridays). They told me only one week for the first cycle. Someone I know from facebook is waiting for the result too, she's from CA though, so you would know the result before she does. She's Chinese too, do you remember her?

Oh if they said 2 weeks, then maybe they are meeting today for the decision (I think the Ad Com meets on Fridays). They told me only one week for the first cycle. Someone I know from facebook is waiting for the result too, she's from CA though, so you would know the result before she does. She's Chinese too, do you remember her?
nope, I just remember a korean girl named Donna from cali.

Man, Im so gloomy about this now. The letter goes out by next week... I think I made a really bad decision about emailing Isaac... He would probably reject me for emailing him. Ack Im freaking out about this so badly.

Man, Im so gloomy about this now. The letter goes out by next week... I think I made a really bad decision about emailing Isaac... He would probably reject me for emailing him. Ack Im freaking out about this so badly.
You're freaking out for no reasons. Isaac is the one emailing and sending acceptance out anyway. I don't think he's in the Ad Com. Anyhow, they can't reject you for emailing them. lol. If you email them, that means you're interested in the school. It's not a bad thing. Be patient, If they said 2 weeks, it's only a week, now. It seems like you're in the same waiting situation as Kjong (2 weeks). They should email out emails around Thursday-Friday next week. If the interview feels more like a conversation, then they are interested in getting to know you more. If the interview feels more like they're grilling with questions, than they just want to get over it. That's what I learned from my interviews. Cross your finger! :luck: Good luck.

Last edited:
Hey NYC, about how many were there for your interview session?

Geez, Jkong, I thought you have an interview today. lol. How was it???

Wasn't impressed. Why ask candidates to bring their unofficial transcripts to the interview to be reviewed against the pre-requisites if I sent it...
1. In my PharmCAS application,
2. In my OFFICIAL transcripts, and
3. In my supplemental application

I feel if a school doesn't take the effort to get everything straightened out before inviting candidates around the nation to fly out for an interview then obviously it's not worth my time to attend. The interview really should be the last and final step of the application process.

**Note: this is not about UNE. **

Last edited:
Wasn't impressed. Why ask candidates to bring their unofficial transcripts to the interview to be reviewed against the pre-requisites if I sent it...
1. In my PharmCAS application,
2. In my OFFICIAL transcripts, and
3. In my supplemental application

I feel if a school doesn't take the effort to get everything straightened out before inviting candidates around the nation to fly out for an interview then obviously it's not worth my time to attend. The interview really should be the last and final step of the application process.

**Note: this is not about UNE. **
That is very odds. Why unofficial transcript, Don't they check it before you go for the interview? Is it a closed file interview? Cuz Hilo HI does the same thing, they interview students first, then review their application after. Therefore, you don't know if you get in if you do great on the interview. However, they don't ask you to bring anything to the interview (Which was in a hotel room the interviewer was staying lol). I guess you are UNE all the way the. I am going to Regis next week with Yen Ta. We'll see if we like the school.

I counted 26. I just got my pcat score back too; 62 percentile :thumbup:. I hope this ups my chance of getting into une now.

you should be good. i had a 45 composite (but a 3.65 GPA) and got an interview invite within a week. i talked to isaac a while ago and he said if you do well on the interview you should be in. i prefer imo cuz it would suck to be so eager at the interview and still get denied

I counted 26. I just got my pcat score back too; 62 percentile :thumbup:. I hope this ups my chance of getting into une now.

I think that une is one of those schools that puts a higher preference on who the person is rather than their gpa or test score... From what I've heard about some schools is that it's your application that gets you an interview, but it's the interview that gets you accepted.

I agree with oregonite. UNE puts a high emphasis on grades and scores but more on the person. Why have a bunch of really smart robots with 4.0s working with people when you can have unique individuals with experiences and values they can contribute to an ever evolving field. Just another reason why I pick UNE lol. Btw, a 62 composite isn't something to worry about.

NY: It took 1 week and 2 days for me to get my acceptance letter. Some people before me got theirs within 1 week. Don't worry about bothering Isaac with your emails; it will show that you have high interest in UNE.

I agree with oregonite. UNE puts a high emphasis on grades and scores but more on the person. Why have a bunch of really smart robots with 4.0s working with people when you can have unique individuals with experiences and values they can contribute to an ever evolving field. Just another reason why I pick UNE lol. Btw, a 62 composite isn't something to worry about.

NY: It took 1 week and 2 days for me to get my acceptance letter. Some people before me got theirs within 1 week. Don't worry about bothering Isaac with your emails; it will show that you have high interest in UNE.
yeahhh, my gpa is a 3.31 at the moment, would had been a 3.51 if my parents didnt force me to a program I didnt like. 4.0 can make mistakes in a clinical setting anyways =/. Well Ill wait this week ^^.

=(, I've been placed under a waitlist. I hate my life now -___-. I thought I did good on the interview too. This sucks, I cant believe my luck.

Hey guys, nice to meet all of you. Nycdream I also interviewed on Feb. 18 and just got an email from Isaac a couple hours ago. I was also waitlisted =/

I left my interview feeling like I didn't make a good impression but I thought I did well on the writing sample. I don't know the odds of getting in from the waitlist, but I assume it's 50-50. We still have a chance of getting in hopefully. I feel bummed out too but let's not lose hope. Good luck and keep your head up man.

=(, I've been placed under a waitlist. I hate my life now -___-. I thought I did good on the interview too. This sucks, I cant believe my luck.
They put people on waitlist now??? I guess pressure is on. The first and second cycle people got lucky. Man what will happen to future interview cycles??? Though many people gave up their spots, so I guess the chance to get pulled from waitlist is more than 50% I think. Keep up hope!!

I have an interview, March 4th! I am getting nervous

They put people on waitlist now??? I guess pressure is on. The first and second cycle people got lucky. Man what will happen to future interview cycles??? Though many people gave up their spots, so I guess the chance to get pulled from waitlist is more than 50% I think. Keep up hope!!

So I just got to thinking...using the numbers from PharmCAS... 200 interviewed, 150 offers, 100 accepted/enrolled, and 7 interview sessions. That means roughly 30 per session (well except the 2nd one which had like 50 apparently). So that means about 22 per session will get an offer so thats around 154, that only leaves 46 spots not given an offer, yet they do a wait-list every year. I wonder if you go to the interview you either get an offer or wait-list???? and maybe nobody at the interview gets an outright "no" until they actually get all their spots filled????

I'm trying to stay optimistic since I don't go for another 3.5 weeks. THE AGONY!

damn, sort of nervous now that some ppl are getting waitlisted. but my guess is that they want the future interviewees to have a chance before they decide how many spots are left.

besides, i talked to isaac two weeks ago, and he said if you do well on the interview you will get in, so im gonna everything to do that. isaac said they admit half from each interview, so lets hope a lot of ppl become anti-UNE all of a sudden so more spots can open

damn, sort of nervous now that some ppl are getting waitlisted. but my guess is that they want the future interviewees to have a chance before they decide how many spots are left.

besides, i talked to isaac two weeks ago, and he said if you do well on the interview you will get in, so im gonna everything to do that. isaac said they admit half from each interview, so lets hope a lot of ppl become anti-UNE all of a sudden so more spots can open

Yeah I have to agree... You can't fill up on spots with more than half your interview sessions to go.

Relax everyone.

If you're on the waitlist now than later, MORE THAN LIKELY, you'll be pulled off and offered a seat. If you don't believe me, read the older posts from last year's cycle on this same thread (I think mods merged the two cycles into one school-specific thread).

Also, don't stress about the writing sample. That really is the LAST thing you need to think about at this point. They just want to know if you can write basic English. It's like 8 points out of 500.

Reminder that my interview cycle had 50 candidates... a lot of people probably paid the $1000 deposit and are waiting on replies from other schools.

YOU WILL GET IN!
- Review your list of possible interview questions "WHY PHARMACY"
- BREATHE
- eye contact
- confidence
- SMILE :D
- come prepared with questions to ask THEM
- oh yea and EAT something. don't starve like I did

"True rewards await those who chose wisely" - Indiana Jones Adventures, Disneyland Park :thumbup:

Relax everyone.

If you're on the waitlist now than later, MORE THAN LIKELY, you'll be pulled off and offered a seat. If you don't believe me, read the older posts from last year's cycle on this same thread (I think mods merged the two cycles into one school-specific thread).

Also, don't stress about the writing sample. That really is the LAST thing you need to think about at this point. They just want to know if you can write basic English. It's like 8 points out of 500.

Reminder that my interview cycle had 50 candidates... a lot of people probably paid the $1000 deposit and are waiting on replies from other schools.

YOU WILL GET IN!
- Review your list of possible interview questions "WHY PHARMACY"
- BREATHE
- eye contact
- confidence
- SMILE :D
- come prepared with questions to ask THEM
- oh yea and EAT something. don't starve like I did

"True rewards await those who chose wisely" - Indiana Jones Adventures, Disneyland Park :thumbup:

I'd like to think that only the people on here that have got accepted and did their deposit are the only ones so there are a good 80+ spots open for me hahaha

PS- So I just read through the entire 16 pages of posts and saw once that they interviewers has LORs and the PharmCAS essay... Do you they have the rest of your file too?

Last edited: