University of North Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
acceptance emails are out!!!! I'm in!!!! so ecstatic!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!!

Last edited:
I got accepted today as well! I'm so relieved and excited!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any of y'all accepted out of state?

I'm a PY1 at UNC and interviews will last through March (similar format every year). Good luck to everyone and be patient for those who haven't heard anything yet!!
is there any exam or essay writing with interview????? how we prepare for interview?????

I got my acceptance email today too!! I am out of state :D

got mine too so excited that I got into a local school, im already from NC and I'm at Clemson now so its just really nice to have the option to stay somewhat local near family and friends :)

Last edited:
is there any exam or essay writing with interview????? how we prepare for interview?????

I'll bite. There are no exams or essays at the interview. They take you into a big room and speak to you as a group. Then P1s take you to your interview or a smaller group session that answers any questions you may have. There is also a tour of the two buildings.

To prepare, practice interview questions, make sure you know your own application (essays, etc.), and brush up on current events and issues in healthcare/pharmacy.

make sure you wear a bow tie instead of a tie, UNC is very southern so they like poka dots, vinyard vines, and sperrys

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone's acceptance!

I just got my interview invitation for January 7th :) :thumbup:

I got my interview invite this morning! January 7th at noon.

I also got interview invitation for 7th at noon!
Does anyone know how many people will be in each session?

Congrats!!

Last edited:
Got the interview email also. Did they tell you guys for the 7th? Or did you have to call and set up. Mine says to call..

I have an interview on 7th Jan. as well. See you guys there! I am really excited!

Got the interview email also. Did they tell you guys for the 7th? Or did you have to call and set up. Mine says to call..

I called the number and they gave me a choice of 12-3PM or 2-5PM. Both on the 7th, I think that's they're only interview date for now. It's the second one so far!

Got my interview email- I was up in the mountains with no computer until yesterday, so I'll have to call them January 3rd.

make sure you wear a bow tie instead of a tie, UNC is very southern so they like poka dots, vinyard vines, and sperrys

Don't forget seersucker. And a flask of Maker's. And only the lower tier fraternities here wear Sperrys. Cole Hahn all the way, baby.

Got my interview email- I was up in the mountains with no computer until yesterday, so I'll have to call them January 3rd.

I think it's really odd that they sent out invitations the last day before school was out for winter break. And that you have to call to schedule or else you don't know when the interview would be. I'm just glad I was on my computer when I got the email and was able to call right away. It's like they try to filter people out this way lol.

I think it's really odd that they sent out invitations the last day before school was out for winter break. And that you have to call to schedule or else you don't know when the interview would be. I'm just glad I was on my computer when I got the email and was able to call right away. It's like they try to filter people out this way lol.

Yep, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw two emails- the invitation and the note saying they'd be back in on the 3rd. I knew the interviews tend to be soon after the invitations so the possibility of missing it definitely crossed my mind.

Yep, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw two emails- the invitation and the note saying they'd be back in on the 3rd. I knew the interviews tend to be soon after the invitations so the possibility of missing it definitely crossed my mind.

Yeah I wonder how many people will be interviewing.

Interviewing Jan. 7 at 2:00!

People who have interviewed: is it more casual or professional?

Last edited:
I am rejecting the interview. I have decided the program/location is a poor fit for me.

May I ask what about the program and location isn't a good fit for you?

I will answer your question, but before I do so I want to say a few things, as sharing opinions on msg boards can be pretty dangerous sometimes..

-I am NOT trying to get anybody here to change their minds, or anything even remotely like that

-These are my personal reasons, likely will not apply to anybody else

-I have alot of respect for the program, i'm convinced its a great school for many many reasons

here goes;

Program in general:
appears to have a slight lean towards research with regard to faculty recruitment/mission vs a lean toward clinical emphasis; I once thought I would pursue a PharmD/PhD but not anymore, and in addition I feel better in an environment that has more emphasis in areas that appeal to me personally and will prepare me for my own professional goals. Also, according to their website, 5% of PharmD graduates share my post-graduation plans and 39% go to community, the field I'm least interested in. It seems that I would be heading in the wrong direction, in a sense.

Curriculum:
PT starts in the first year, whereas I personally feel better about starting that track a little later on. Also medchem isn't until second year, I feel like I'd do better in a curriculum where medchem comes before PT. Also I'm definitely NOT a morning person, and couldn't handle 8am classes 4 days a week every week very well :D Also, zero compounding or nutrition electives offered, and thats pretty big for me personally...

Ultimately, Chapel Hill with ~60k ppl is just too small for me. I tend to like bigger cities, living in a high-rise downtown etc.. I just feel like I have more to do in a more diverse environment I guess... I don't live in a huge city but I know what I'm most comfortable with, and I want to be comfortable in pharm school; same goes for the cold, just not down with it. I'm from Texas.

There are also some personal reasons for my rejection, I'm in a serious relationship with a woman who is a social work major. Were I offered an interview for the Elizabeth City campus(has a BSW program) I would have accepted it, but UNC-CH doesn't offer one. Also I have a twin brother who is applying to law school this cycle, whom I would prefer to remain decently close to if possible. He isn't applying to any schools in the area; so neither of those aspects fit with this particular school.

All in all, there are few compelling reasons for me to consider UNC. I'm convinced it is a great school, but there are many, many great schools, and ive been lucky enough to get accepted at my #2 and #3 choice schools already. UNC was my #5 choice, and at this point I feel comfortable letting go of the rest of my potential options, save for my top 3 choices.

I'm not sure if this was helpful, or really what you were trying to gather here... But I hope my answer was sufficient. I wasn't necessarily trying to inform anyone of any reasons to consider/not consider the program or anything, just what my personal reasons for rejecting the offer are. Not trying to take any shots at anything/anyone, just making sure that is known.

Program in general:
appears to have a slight lean towards research with regard to faculty recruitment/mission vs a lean toward clinical emphasis; I once thought I would pursue a PharmD/PhD but not anymore, and in addition I feel better in an environment that has more emphasis in areas that appeal to me personally and will prepare me for my own professional goals. Also, according to their website, 5% of PharmD graduates share my post-graduation plans and 39% go to community, the field I'm least interested in. It seems that I would be heading in the wrong direction, in a sense.

I have some of the same reservations as you. What exactly are your post-grad plans, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm already accepted to a smaller, newer school that I really liked with respect to the curriculum and atmosphere of the program. They have the electives that you mentioned are lacking at UNC but I think expense will trump everything since I'm in North Carolina.

/Off topic, but if anyone was watching the bowl game tonight... woo!

I have some of the same reservations as you. What exactly are your post-grad plans, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm already accepted to a smaller, newer school that I really liked with respect to the curriculum and atmosphere of the program. They have the electives that you mentioned are lacking at UNC but I think expense will trump everything since I'm in North Carolina.

I plan to do clinical at first prob oncology. Then later maybe open a special ind. For compounding and develop skin care and maybe some cosmetics.. Something like that.. I felt the same way about Belmont for a while but finally decided to reject it also but that's another story haha.. About the game, cannot believe that excessive celebration penalty at the end wow..

I plan to do clinical at first prob oncology. Then later maybe open a special ind. For compounding and develop skin care and maybe some cosmetics.. Something like that.. I felt the same way about Belmont for a while but finally decided to reject it also but that's another story haha.. About the game, cannot believe that excessive celebration penalty at the end wow..

Gotcha. I think I'd like to do oncology also, but we'll see.

I did catch the end of the K-State game... wild. I can't imagine how bad that wideout must feel. UNC/Tenn was maybe the craziest game I've ever seen though. UT's quarterback was saluting the crowd and UNC's bench after just about every touchdown though :laugh:

From some of your earlier posts it sounds like there are some things you have against UNC. What are some of the things you don't like about the school/city itself? I just want to be sure I have all the information I need to make a good decision of where to go. All I know are the looks-good-on-paper stuff and would really like your input.

I will answer your question, but before I do so I want to say a few things, as sharing opinions on msg boards can be pretty dangerous sometimes..

-I am NOT trying to get anybody here to change their minds, or anything even remotely like that

-These are my personal reasons, likely will not apply to anybody else

-I have alot of respect for the program, i'm convinced its a great school for many many reasons

here goes;

Program in general:

Curriculum:
PT starts in the first year, whereas I personally feel better about starting that track a little later on. Also medchem isn't until second year, I feel like I'd do better in a curriculum where medchem comes before PT. Also I'm definitely NOT a morning person, and couldn't handle 8am classes 4 days a week every week very well :D Also, zero compounding or nutrition electives offered, and thats pretty big for me personally...

Ultimately, Chapel Hill with ~60k ppl is just too small for me. I tend to like bigger cities, living in a high-rise downtown etc.. I just feel like I have more to do in a more diverse environment I guess... I don't live in a huge city but I know what I'm most comfortable with, and I want to be comfortable in pharm school; same goes for the cold, just not down with it. I'm from Texas.

There are also some personal reasons for my rejection, I'm in a serious relationship with a woman who is a social work major. Were I offered an interview for the Elizabeth City campus(has a BSW program) I would have accepted it, but UNC-CH doesn't offer one. Also I have a twin brother who is applying to law school this cycle, whom I would prefer to remain decently close to if possible. He isn't applying to any schools in the area; so neither of those aspects fit with this particular school.

All in all, there are few compelling reasons for me to consider UNC. I'm convinced it is a great school, but there are many, many great schools, and ive been lucky enough to get accepted at my #2 and #3 choice schools already. UNC was my #5 choice, and at this point I feel comfortable letting go of the rest of my potential options, save for my top 3 choices.

I'm not sure if this was helpful, or really what you were trying to gather here... But I hope my answer was sufficient. I wasn't necessarily trying to inform anyone of any reasons to consider/not consider the program or anything, just what my personal reasons for rejecting the offer are. Not trying to take any shots at anything/anyone, just making sure that is known.

Thanks for your thorough response, and it does sound like a lot of factors went into your decision :). Good luck with your final choice!

From some of your earlier posts it sounds like there are some things you have against UNC. What are some of the things you don't like about the school/city itself? I just want to be sure I have all the information I need to make a good decision of where to go. All I know are the looks-good-on-paper stuff and would really like your input.

Ha... I guess I do sound kind of bitter. I'm not really, my biggest gripes are about professors (way more concerned with research than teaching) and class size (which they say is on average less than 50 and 90% less than 100... definitely not true unless they're counting recitations).

I doubt those carry over much to the pharmacy school, other than maybe the research aspect. But from what I understand, professors there are more approachable than the ones in undergrad.

The town is great- other than traffic sometimes. It's not the perfect college town that a lot of people make it out to be but it's a really cool place.

Ha... I guess I do sound kind of bitter. I'm not really, my biggest gripes are about professors (way more concerned with research than teaching) and class size (which they say is on average less than 50 and 90% less than 100... definitely not true unless they're counting recitations).

I doubt those carry over much to the pharmacy school, other than maybe the research aspect. But from what I understand, professors there are more approachable than the ones in undergrad.

The town is great- other than traffic sometimes. It's not the perfect college town that a lot of people make it out to be but it's a really cool place.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you have the same impressions of UNC undergrad that I have at UF undergrad lol. I'm hoping those things don't carry over into pharmacy school but I don't think they will.

well dang, i think everyone is entitled to their own opinions and i think UNC is close to a perfect college town...the city was basically built for the students that go to UNC and I have loved every minute of being an undergrad here. All the bars are conveniently located on Franklin Street, and have a wide array of classy and grimey bars. There is such a great variety of restaurants and everything you could possibly need on franklin street where we recently acquired a Walgreens and a Krispy Kreme :love:. Carrboro is the town within walking distance to UNC and offers diverse things directed towards the more hipster people. Plus, if the parties ever get boring at chapel hill, its a short drive to NC State and Duke, where you can find even more adventures and things to do. Why would a student need to go to school in a big city for college? The bars/nightlife/social scene is directed more towards people that are already making bank, etc. and can become very costly when you're a college student, let alone a pharmacy student where the recommended hours of work are <10 per week. As for the professors, I've met a couple and they seemed very approachable and knowledgeable, but you can decide for yourself when you go to the interview. There is a reason why UNC is number 2 in the nation for pharmacy, and I believe going here gives you the most perfect collage of fun, education, and job opportunities when you get out. You WANT to go to a top ranked pharmacy school, and UNC offers a unique everything experience that I believe makes it a perfect college town. Hope this helps.

well dang, i think everyone is entitled to their own opinions and i think UNC is close to a perfect college town...the city was basically built for the students that go to UNC and I have loved every minute of being an undergrad here. All the bars are conveniently located on Franklin Street, and have a wide array of classy and grimey bars. There is such a great variety of restaurants and everything you could possibly need on franklin street where we recently acquired a Walgreens and a Krispy Kreme :love:. Carrboro is the town within walking distance to UNC and offers diverse things directed towards the more hipster people. Plus, if the parties ever get boring at chapel hill, its a short drive to NC State and Duke, where you can find even more adventures and things to do. Why would a student need to go to school in a big city for college? The bars/nightlife/social scene is directed more towards people that are already making bank, etc. and can become very costly when you're a college student, let alone a pharmacy student where the recommended hours of work are <10 per week. As for the professors, I've met a couple and they seemed very approachable and knowledgeable, but you can decide for yourself when you go to the interview. There is a reason why UNC is number 2 in the nation for pharmacy, and I believe going here gives you the most perfect collage of fun, education, and job opportunities when you get out. You WANT to go to a top ranked pharmacy school, and UNC offers a unique everything experience that I believe makes it a perfect college town. Hope this helps.

Thanks for this! I like to hear it all :) I'll have to check Franklin Street out when I go up there this week!

for out of staters who have interviewed...what hotel do you recommend staying at? the marriot they recommended? also is it easy to find transportation from the airport to the hotel / hotel to the school? (is the easiest way to just get a taxi?) any feedback would be great! thanks!

for out of staters who have interviewed...what hotel do you recommend staying at? the marriot they recommended? also is it easy to find transportation from the airport to the hotel / hotel to the school? (is the easiest way to just get a taxi?) any feedback would be great! thanks!

I'm staying at a Marriot but not from their recommendation because it's expensive. I'll be staying about 10 minutes away right outside of Chapel Hill and renting a car. It's probably impractical to rent a car but I'll be coming a day early and want to take a look around the place.

I'm curious. Which pharmacy school rank list are you referring to?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...raduate-schools/top-pharmacy-schools/rankings

These are the most recent rankings I can find. Since 2008 they've gotten some really major donations (2 in the tens of millions that I can remember off the top of my head).

They reallly oughta update those, seeing as how religiously ppl seem to go by them.. 3 years old now.. Soo many new schools in the last 3 years.. I think pretty much all "rankings" are worthless personally, especially for something subjective as a professional academic program...

Last edited:
They reallly oughta update those, seeing as how religiously ppl seem to go by them.. 3 years old now.. Soo many new schools in the last 3 years.. I think pretty much all "rankings" are worthless personally, especially for something subjective as a professional academic program...

Completely agree. I would say that undergrad rankings are even more subjective (within reason, as there's a huge disparity in the quality/difficulty in even top tier universities), although how people perceive your degree matters a lot.

ETA: I'll be at the 2-5 session on Friday.

Last edited:
Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that there is now a facebook group for people accepted to UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy please join I am sure it will help all of us along the way .. finding roommates, answering questions ... just search
"UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy PharmD Class of 2015"

Congratulations to all those accepted so far and if you have not heard anything yet.. DO NOT PANIC there is plenty of time!!

Good Luck

-Monique

I have heard that out of state students can be eligible for residency after a year. Does anyone know how likely it is to be eligible for in-state tuition after your first year?

I have heard that out of state students can be eligible for residency after a year. Does anyone know how likely it is to be eligible for in-state tuition after your first year?

I plan to ask this at the interview tomorrow :)

Done with the interview! I was a little nervous at first since this is my first choice, but interview went very well. I have a positive feeling about it. They were very organized! It makes things lot easier for you!