University of North Carolina Application Thread

Started by njtiger08
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the roll call for 2014/2015. Please post in the sticky thread or PM me your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).🙂
 
Hey did anyone else receive an email saying they have a conditional acceptance based on a background check? I interviewed here and in Colorado and I haven't gotten accepted to either yet but I got this email...weird (I posted on the Colorado forum too)
 
Does anyone have an interview lined up for Feb. 24th? I believe that is the next interview date. I just got my invite today.
 
I received an invite today, but I plan on taking Physics II in the summer. Do you know if this will prevent me from getting accepted? The website is a little vague about whether or not we are required to finish with all of the pre-reqs by the end of Spring.
 
I received an invite today, but I plan on taking Physics II in the summer. Do you know if this will prevent me from getting accepted? The website is a little vague about whether or not we are required to finish with all of the pre-reqs by the end of Spring.

I also got an invite today. As for finishing pre-reqs, the website says that it's recommended to complete them by the end of Spring, but it is not a requirement. As long as you finish the course before enrolling at UNC, you're okay.

Anyone have any interview tips? I've done plenty of job interviews in the past, but I've never done one for school.
 
I've also received notice of an interview offer today. I got home too late from work to call, however. Did anyone call today and find out the date?

As for interview tips I interviewed at Campbell, but that was an open-file interview and UNC is closed-file, so I'm not sure how different that may be. I'm making sure I have a strong answer to "So, tell us a little about yourself" as that seems to be the first question they ask!

Good luck to everyone! :luck:
 
The interview date is for Thursday, February 24. They offer a 12-3pm session and a 2-5pm session.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a little nervous because this is my first interview that I've waited almost 4 years for!!! I know the interview itself is just yourself with the interviewers but I wanted to know how many candidates are in each session. Just wanted to kind of get a feel for the whole environment.
 
I got an acceptance email this morning, 5 weeks after the interview. Pretty good Valentine's Day present.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear and with interviews!
 
I interviewed at Campbell one day and UNC the very next day so I know exactly where you're coming from regarding the open-file vs. closed-file interviews. At Campbell, they started right off the bat asking me specific questions about my weak area on the PCAT and about certain classes that I hadn't done so well in. I liked that I had the opportunity to offer an explanation for my weaknesses at Campbell, but I think I actually preferred the closed-file interview at UNC. I felt like I was getting a fresh start with the interviewers and I could present myself in a more positive light rather than dwelling on the negative aspects of my application. Most of the questions asked at each interview were similar with the exception of the specific open-file related questions at Campbell though. Definitely have some answers prepared for those "tell me about yourself" questions. I found that the interview feedback page was very helpful for this too 🙂

I've also received notice of an interview offer today. I got home too late from work to call, however. Did anyone call today and find out the date?

As for interview tips I interviewed at Campbell, but that was an open-file interview and UNC is closed-file, so I'm not sure how different that may be. I'm making sure I have a strong answer to "So, tell us a little about yourself" as that seems to be the first question they ask!

Good luck to everyone! :luck:
 
For those of you who have already had an interview at UNC, do they allow time to update current grades and experiences? We had the opportunity to do this at Campbell during the interview process, so I was curious if it was the same at UNC. Also, the confirmation email says that the interview is a panel interview- how many people interview each applicant at a time? At Campbell, it was three- 2 Pharmacists & 1 student- is this similar at UNC?

Thank you for any advice anyone can provide!

Sincerely,
HC:xf:
 
VetPharmD- there is one professor and one alum/pharmacist and for the Campbell interview I only had a professor and student, that's weird you had so many people.
 
klc89 can you tell me how many applicants are part of each session? Were you given time to talk to any of the other applicants? Did the whole process take the entire 3 hours UNC scheduled?
 
klc89 can you tell me how many applicants are part of each session? Were you given time to talk to any of the other applicants? Did the whole process take the entire 3 hours UNC scheduled?

~35. I think there were 75 total on the day I interviewed, with about 33 in my session. They broke us up into 3 smaller groups to rotate through the sessions with.
Yes, during the tour.
Yep, and it might run over a bit if you stay to ask questions about prerequisites.
 
Last edited:
How long did it take to cash your deposit? I sent mine early last week.

It takes a long time. For me, a few weeks for them to cash it and then almost two months to actually get conformation from them via email.
 
How long did it take to cash your deposit? I sent mine early last week.

I received the email confirming my deposit on Feb. 18 and I was accepted on Dec. 15. I sent the deposit in a couple of weeks after my acceptance, so yes, it does take a while before you receive confirmation ;-)
 
~35. I think there were 75 total on the day I interviewed, with about 33 in my session. They broke us up into 3 smaller groups to rotate through the sessions with.
Yes, during the tour.
Yep, and it might run over a bit if you stay to ask questions about prerequisites.

Thanks for the response. I'm getting very nervous because this is my first interview and it's tomorrow! I'm still trying to figure out what best to say when I'm asked why Carolina, but I don't want to mention the facilities so much if I haven't gone on the tour. Fom my understanding of your comment, if the group is broken up into smaller groups, you could be interviewing first before actually touring the facilities is that correct?
 
Another question. There was no information regarding if we actually needed to bring anything for the interview. Should we have an updated resume?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another question. There was no information regarding if we actually needed to bring anything for the interview. Should we have an updated resume?

I brought resumes, two writing samples, and paper to take notes with. I didn't use any of it though.

For the "why Carolina" question, I would go poke around the website for a while. It's pretty extensive and helped me a lot in answering that question.
 
Sorry you guys I know it seems like it's not really a big deal but my interview is later today and it's 3 in the morning now and I just woke up panicking about me messing up my interview really bad. Went to bed feeling ok about it but I'm a little distressed now tring to figure out what my subconscious is telling me. I've wanted this for so long and have really worked so hard for this interview I just don't want to screw it up. Please someone assure me it will be ok.
 
Sorry you guys I know it seems like it's not really a big deal but my interview is later today and it's 3 in the morning now and I just woke up panicking about me messing up my interview really bad. Went to bed feeling ok about it but I'm a little distressed now tring to figure out what my subconscious is telling me. I've wanted this for so long and have really worked so hard for this interview I just don't want to screw it up. Please someone assure me it will be ok.
I am sure your interview went very well today... 🙂 I couldn't sleep the nite before of my interview either.. 👍
 
Interview went well but it was more pharmacy intensive then I thought it would be. I felt I didn't really get to talk about myself or my background because the questions were all so pharmacy related. You would really have had to had exposure in the field to answer some questions. I'm glad that's over with and now the waiting begins!

There seems to be a range on the time that people find out about their acceptance from a couple days to a couple weeks. Does anyone know what determines how soon you hear?
 
Last edited:
Has anybody been accepted but will be unable to complete their Hepatitis B series before the July 15th deadline? Also if any currrent students were ever in this position, were there flexible to this requirement?
 
Has anybody been accepted but will be unable to complete their Hepatitis B series before the July 15th deadline? Also if any currrent students were ever in this position, were there flexible to this requirement?

While we were there yesterday, the guy (Andrew) from Student Services said you should contact him ASAP if you haven't started your Hep B shot series yet. To be on the safe side even if you don't know if you've been accepted you should just go ahead and get it done.
 
While we were there yesterday, the guy (Andrew) from Student Services said you should contact him ASAP if you haven't started your Hep B shot series yet. To be on the safe side even if you don't know if you've been accepted you should just go ahead and get it done.

Yes i did, didnt hear back from him though. But we will see...and waiting continues....:xf:
 
I'm curious to know if anyone from the Feb. 24th interview date has heard anything yet? It's been a week and I'm feeling a little anxious. Got an email the other day saying all final decisions would be made by March 15th, but I'm just hoping that good news comes before then.
 
I'm curious to know if anyone from the Feb. 24th interview date has heard anything yet? It's been a week and I'm feeling a little anxious. Got an email the other day saying all final decisions would be made by March 15th, but I'm just hoping that good news comes before then.


I havent heard anything either got the same email...pretty nervous too but hey at this point not much you can do...
 
Got a call from Ms. Goldston asking me if I wanted to be considered for the satellite campuses. I said I only wanted to be considered for the main campus and she said I would probably be placed on the wait-list. Another year on the wait-list 🙁, so I guess I have to beef up my application before I apply again if I don't get accepted. And I thought my interview went well this year compared to last year. I'm still in my third year at NC State as an undergrad so I guess it's not too bad.
 
ACCEPTED today to the Chapel Hill campus!!!! Interviewed January 7th and im from University of Florida!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OMG...now I'm super nervous since I haven't heard back yet. Nkmho1 and dankeschoen were you both part of the 1st session or the 2nd session? Also it was email notification, correct?

Fingers crossed right for good news and I can't stand the suspense at all! You can say I'm pretty wound on edge right now. It's like I have this dark cloud over my head. I'm hoping the sun comes out and the rain doesn't break over me!!!
 
I was part of the second session. They notified me by email and said to expect paperwork by mail within 10 days.

I would say don't worry, but I know what it's like to anxiously wait; you just can't help but be on edge until you hear back. At the very least, you'll know by March 15th.
 
Can anyone from the area suggest some apartments near the pharmacy building or by a good bus route? 1-3 bedrooms, unfurnished, and $600 per month max?