University of Oklahoma, Classes of 2008-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a thing! What is this updated transcript request you speak of

I got an email from the admissions office asking for an unofficial updated transcript.

I don't remember having done the transcript thing. But I also didn't have any prereqs left to take when I applied, so that may be why.

Yep.

Apparently they only want them if you've completed a prereq since your AMCAS was verified, so most students probably don't need to send one.

I still had no Orgo 1 or 2 or bio courses when I sent in the AMCAS. I CLEPed Intro Zoo w/Lab 2 days after the August MCAT and still needed another bio class for the OU pre-reqs (and so they would accept the CLEP). I took Orgo 1 last semester and am taking Orgo 2 and Cell Biology this semester. I have to send them another at the end of May to confirm that I did indeed complete the classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I sent in all my transcripts last year like an idiot because I thought they'd want them -- some schools do. Apparently they only want them if you've completed a prereq since your AMCAS was verified, so most students probably don't need to send one.

Does that mean I can fail my classes & they won't ever even know? :smuggrin: Cuz that's neat. I haven't gotten the request for an updated transcript... or any other correspondence (except a letter from Dean Andrews saying how awesome OUCOM is, not like I needed reminding).

Not a thing! What is this updated transcript request you speak of?:laugh: Hell, I had to reopen my packet the other day and read the letter again to convince myself I was still accepted!

The only thing I have completed is FAFSA.
I was still enrolled in a prerequisite English class last semester, and all they wanted was for me to email them a copy of my unofficial transcript showing my grade in that class.

Does that mean I can fail my classes & they won't ever even know? :smuggrin: Cuz that's neat. I haven't gotten the request for an updated transcript... or any other correspondence (except a letter from Dean Andrews saying how awesome OUCOM is, not like I needed reminding).

I think they only care if you're still working on a prerequisite or your GPA was borderline and a B or C would pull you below 3.0. If neither case applies to you and you're not graduating this semester or summer, why are you still taking classes? :p

Probably. ;)

Speaking of the match -- here's the breakdown straight from Dean Schmidt. It doesn't tell you were people matched, but it tells you how many people matched in whatever.

Family Medicine - 11

Internal Medicine - 22

Preliminary Medicine - 15

Med-Peds - 2

Pediatrics – 17

Preliminary Peds - 3

Anesthesiology - 9

Dermatology - 6

Emergency Medicine - 6

Neurology - 1

Neurosurgery - 1

Ob/Gyn - 3

Ophthalmology - 5

Orthopedic Surgery - 6

Otorhinolaryngology - 2

Pathology - 3

Psychiatry - 6

Radiology – 6

Radiation Oncology - 1

Surgery - 13

Preliminary Surgery - 11

Transitional - 5

Urology - 5

I'm amazed by how few people matched/went into anesthesiology, and by those 5 opthalmology spots and 6 derm.:thumbup: Only 11 FM, which I think is down.

I'm amazed by how few people matched/went into anesthesiology, and by those 5 opthalmology spots and 6 derm.:thumbup: Only 11 FM, which I think is down.

Prolly will pick some up from the transition and prelim years. Gas, that is.

Prolly will pick some up from the transition and prelim years. Gas, that is.

Yeah, true. From the gas boards, it looks like apps were actually down, but I need to check again. Last year, I think like 18 people matched directly into it.

Editing to ask a question. So the list from Dean Schmidt adds up to 159. Are there actually 159 graduating MS4s, or are some people represented twice (like they pop up both with their prelim and categorical spot)? I know that traditionally there were only around 150 people in each class, but I guess a class might gain more people than they lose through people repeating a year.

The people that matched separately into prelim and categorical are represented twice on that list.

Also, the number for anesthesia is actually fairly normal for us - the 17 last year was ridiculously high.

The people that matched separately into prelim and categorical are represented twice on that list.

Also, the number for anesthesia is actually fairly normal for us - the 17 last year was ridiculously high.

Interesting. I guess both facts make sense. :) I wonder if gas is starting its long predicted drop off in popularity. Stupid CRNAs. j/k ;)

So I subtracted out all the prelim (med, peds and surgery) and transitional people since some are doubles, and it's hard to know where they're going later. After that, it looks like 41% of people went into primary care spots (med, peds and fm). Of course, a lot of the med people are probably planning on doing a fellowship. That seems to make it clear to me that people aren't that interested in going into primary care. It also appears to be clear that you are not doomed to FM if you're not AOA since only 11 people in the class went that route. :D

They didn't pull out in time...several of the women are now prego.

D@mn Oklahomans not being wise with their bc selections. :rolleyes: ;)

Speaking of which, my wife went today for a preliminary ultrasound and informed me that we are having twins!

Freeze and others, how hard was it getting used to newborn and med school at the same time? The due date is Nov. 6 so I should be into the swing of school by then.

I wonder if they will readjust my FA midyear....

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of which, my wife went today for a preliminary ultrasound and informed me that we are having twins!

Freeze and others, how hard was it getting used to newborn and med school at the same time? The due date is Nov. 6 so I should be into the swing of school by then.

Holy ****ing **** dude! Did you not listen? You had some "hey baby, I'm gonna be a doctor sex" didn't you?!?!? Dammit it's gonna be a long career if you can't follow directions! :laugh:

I'll pm ya...prolly not immediately. I'm busy washing all my son's dirty cloth diapers since I can't afford Pampers. Which seems like a big deal, but really, since I can't afford to feed 'im EVERY day, he doesn't really poop THAT often...

In short, you can ask for more money. They'll be HAPPY to give it to you!! I didn't, but I can be tight when I need to.

My youngest was 1.5 yr old when I started med school...
I think newborns are a little easier to take care of cuz they roll over and that's about it, but once they are crawling it all changes. If you have someone to help (eg...wife) it's even easier.

Once they're mobile...you'll rarely get 5 solid minutes of sitting in one place.
My youngest is now 2 and he walks/runs...and unfortunately now can open anything that isn't locked. But after a while you'll get your "baby eyes" going and can see every possible dangerous thing in a room in 2.5 seconds flat :thumbup:

They still take up a lotta time because you can't help playing with them :)

I'll pm ya...prolly not immediately. I'm busy washing all my son's dirty cloth diapers since I can't afford Pampers. Which seems like a big deal, but really, since I can't afford to feed 'im EVERY day, he doesn't really poop THAT often...

:scared:
cloth diapers...ack...
dude, I'd eat Ramen noodles to avoid those things.

My family bought us cloth diapers when my youngest was born...afterwards I was thinking...."Gee thanks, what's next, a drumset?" :mad:

Wow, I'm so excited to here of another cloth diaperer. It really isn't that big of a deal, I can't believe more people don't do it. And Freeze if you haven't tried the BumGenius you're missing out.

Wow, I'm so excited to here of another cloth diaperer. It really isn't that big of a deal, I can't believe more people don't do it. And Freeze if you haven't tried the BumGenius you're missing out.

BumGenius? I think I have a bottle of that around here somewhere....got it at Christy's Toybox :D

Lest everyone think I'm some sort of hero, I don't use cloth. Although I probably could for the ones I know won't get boo-boo in them. I have a tendency to exaggerate...

I'm also not poor. I know this because when my wife applied for WIC and an Access card (more discrete food stamps...) they told her so.

My little turd went "swimming" last night for the first time. I thought they had to be 6 mos to go in the pool at the Y, but it's 6 mos for swim lessons. He turns 6 mos tomorrow and I've been waiting since January to take him to the pool :rolleyes:
And he'll be crawling probably next week sometime. He can get on all fours, but then he freezes; if he tries to move anything, he falls right over.

Holy ****ing **** dude! Did you not listen? You had some "hey baby, I'm gonna be a doctor sex" didn't you?!?!? Dammit it's gonna be a long career if you can't follow directions! :laugh:

It was planned, no accidents.

My wife works, so we won't be hurting for money, I just wondered if they would readjust my "family contribution" line since I no longer will be working and there will be two more dependents. As of now, the FAFSA says that I can afford to pay for school out of pocket which is true if I were still working, but that ain't gonna happen.

It's really all a ploy to get subsidized instead of unsubsidized loans. ;)

It was planned, no accidents.

My wife works, so we won't be hurting for money, I just wondered if they would readjust my "family contribution" line since I no longer will be working and there will be two more dependents. As of now, the FAFSA says that I can afford to pay for school out of pocket which is true if I were still working, but that ain't gonna happen.

It's really all a ploy to get subsidized instead of unsubsidized loans. ;)

My EFC for FAFSA went WAY down this year...but I haven't seen an award letter yet stating what I was eligible for.

It's hard most of the time, but when else would you do it? You have more free time the first year than probably any time, or at least as much as second year. You won't be around at all during third year, and fourth year is more cush, but you have that whole planning for residency thing hanging over your head. And you'll be a ghost during residency.

What has been the most difficult for me is getting my wife to understand that just because I don't physically go to school, that doesn't mean I don't have a lot of **** to do. It drives her ****ing INSANE when she asks what my plans are and I say "study". Or "listen to lectures". OOOHHHH she gets angry! But school doesn't stop just because I don't feel like putting 26 gallons of terrorist juice @ $2.40 into my truck every few weeks so I can go fight parking lots, hear boring-ass lectures, and listen to trust-fund babies whine about how a question was UNFAIR or how Johnny made a Secret List using his decoder ring. I'd rather sit in my drawers at my desk in my own chair and memorize until I can't see straight, because that's what will be on the test; requiring me to do anything else is wasting my mother****ing time. :idea:

Besides, how can I waste time on the internet if I have to go to class all the time :confused:

My advice would be to start looking into childcare now, and get on some waitlists. The daycare that I really want to use is going to take me around 1 1/2 years to get into.

Trust fund babies...lol yea we have quite a few whiney lil b*tches in our class.

I'm making a list now with everyone's secret ID# linked to their favorite fetishes!

Let's just say that Bagel Babe's entry took six paragraphs....oh my! :eek:

It's always the quiet ones.

I think they only care if you're still working on a prerequisite or your GPA was borderline and a B or C would pull you below 3.0. If neither case applies to you and you're not graduating this semester or summer, why are you still taking classes? :p

Neither case applies (graduated in May; gpa is ~3.77 overall). But taking classes like human anatomy is WAY more fun than working full time :scared: yuck.

I have fun news - OU COM asked me to speak at the reapplicant's workshop! So... if you didn't get accepted right off the bat this year, you best be at the reapplicant workshop so you can listen to me speak! ;) Of course, it is incredibly useful to go to for reasons other than just getting to see me (like the one-on-one time with an adcom member saying why you didn't get in right away), but now you've got an added bonus of seeing me.

Trust fund babies...lol yea we have quite a few whiney lil b*tches in our class.

I'm making a list now with everyone's secret ID# linked to their favorite fetishes!

Let's just say that Bagel Babe's entry took six paragraphs....oh my! :eek:

It's always the quiet ones.

Yeah, I think I have a great name to be a dominatrix. ;)

So I got to see a c-section and a vaginal delivery today. It was actually pretty cool.

And, and, and one person on the match list who matched in psych isn't going to either OKC or Tulsa!! That really depressed me last year.

In an attempt to avoid studying, I decided to match up the residency positions with spots. This is based on the match list that was released on hipppocrates. For the preliminary and transitional spots, I only put down matches for people who did not match in an advanced position -- for example, if you're doing a preliminary medicine year and then derm, I didn't include the prelim medicine part in my tallies. I also didn't include the people who matched who weren't in the class of 2007. Here it is --

Family Medicine (11)
Kaiser Permanente – Woodland Hills, Woodland Hills, CA
Great Plains Medical Foundation, Oklahoma City, OK (2)
University of Texas Health Center, Tyler, TX
University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK (3)
University of Kansas/Wesley, Wichita, KS
University of Kansas/Via Christi, Wichita, KS
Darnall Army Medical Center, Ft. Hood, TX
University of Oklahoma, Tulsa, OK

Internal Medicine (22)
University of Kansas, Kansas City, KS
University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK (11)
George Washington University, Washington, DC
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Rochester, MN (2)
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI
St. Mary Medical Center, Long Beach, CA
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
University of Texas - Houston, Houston, TX
Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX
Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA
Hershey Medical Center/Penn State, Hershey, PA

Pediatrics (17)
University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK (7)
University of Utah Affiliated Hospitals, Salt Lake City, UT
University of Oklahoma, Tulsa, OK (2)
University of Texas Health Sciences Center, San Antonio, TX
SAUSHEC – Brooke Army Medical Center, Ft. Sam Houston, TX (2)
Palmetto Health Richland, Columbia, SC
Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN
University of Arkansas, Little Rock, AR (2)

Pediatrics – Preliminary (1) – excluded people who had an advanced match

Anesthesiology (9)
Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, TX
Mercy Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK (4)
University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, TX
University of Colorado, Denver, CO
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY

Dermatology (6)
Duke University, Durham, NC
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA

Emergency Medicine (6)

Maricopa Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ
Resurrection Medical Center, Chicago, IL
New York Hospital Medical Center/Queens, Flushing, NY
Pitt County Memorial Hospital/Brody School of Medicine, Greenville, NC

General Surgery (13)
University of Oklahoma, Tulsa, OK (3)
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
Pitt County Memorial Hospital/Brody School of Medicine, Greenville, NC
Methodist Health System, Dallas, TX
Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA
Louisiana State University, Shreveport, LA
Fairview Hospital, Cleveland, OH

General Surgery – Preliminary – not including people with advanced positions (5)
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Spartanburg Regional Healthcare, Spartanburg, SC
UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA

Medicine/Pediatrics (2)
University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK (2)

Medicine/Pediatrics – Preliminary – not including people with advanced positions (1)

Medicine – Preliminary – not including people with advanced positions (5)
University of Oklahoma, Tulsa, OK (4)
University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK

Neurology (1)

Neurosurgery (1)
University of Florida Shands Hospital, Gainesville, FL

Obstetrics/Gynecology (3)
University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK (2)

Ophthalmology (5)
University of Rochester/Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY
University of Colorado, Denver, CO
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC
University of Missouri - Kansas City Programs, Kansas City, MO

Orthopaedic Surgery (6)

John Peter Smith Hospital, Fort Worth, TX
SUNY Upstate, Syracuse, NY
Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA

Otorhinolaryngology (2)
University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, TX
University of Arkansas, Little Rock, AR

Pathology (3)
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA

Psychiatry (5)
University of Kansas, Wichita, KS
Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO

Psychiatry/Family Medicine (1)
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA

Radiation Oncology (1)

Radiology – Diagnostic (6)
Integris Baptist Medical Center, Oklahoma City, OK (2)
Texas A&M/Scott & White, Temple, TX
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX

Transitional – excluding people with advanced matches (1)
SAUSCHEC – Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX

Urology (5)
Akron General Medicine/NEOUCOM, Akron, OH
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN

Research (1)

Bagel,
You are one dedicated study-avoidant classmate!!:thumbup:

That's a pretty good list...I'll get my top choice res since no one else seems to want Forensic Proctology :D

I'll get my top choice res since no one else seems to want Forensic Proctology :D

Ahhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......Ahhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!
:cool:

Bagel,
You are one dedicated study-avoidant classmate!!:thumbup:

That's a pretty good list...I'll get my top choice res since no one else seems to want Forensic Proctology :D

Yeah, I think you'll have to start that up yourself. I admire your ambition. ;)

So on my studying avoidance, don't get guinness from Louie's on Lake Hefner. They charge $6 a pint. :eek:

Tell me again the difference between the prelim and transitional spots. I've read a couple residency books (Iserson and another) but I always get those messed up.

You know, I'll have to ask around a little more for that one, too. One thing I know is transitional years are supposed to be cushier, so they're harder to get than prelim spots. From the SDN vibe, prelim surgery is hell.

Okay, so here's one post on the residency internship forum about it. I'll see if I find anything else interesting.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=368700

So it seems like another big difference is that in a transitional year you do a mix of lots of stuff instead of doing mainly medicine, surgery or peds.

Here's a description of Mayo's program.

http://www.mayo.edu/msgme/transyr-jax.html

:hardy: OK boyz n squirrels...it's random study-avoidance time! :hardy:

Welcome to Michael Jackson's :clap: Pedophile Playhouse.:clap:
Tonight's bedtime story is "Little Boy Blew"

[coming this Summer to a dark and secluded theater near you]

Also keep an eye out for:
Al Gore's XXX freakfest "I'll Warm YOUR Globes" :eek:

plus...
the newest production from Vomit Brothers Emporium...
:barf:"Tinkle and Poo Lovers 2007" :barf: starring the wild jungle-fever antics of Al Sharpton and Rosie O'Donnell together again :scared:

:hardy: OK boyz n squirrels...it's random study-avoidance time! :hardy:

Welcome to Michael Jackson's :clap: Pedophile Playhouse.:clap:
Tonight's bedtime story is "Little Boy Blew"

Reminds me of my favorite Linda Ronstadt song, "Blew By You"

Bottom of the 2nd page?!?!?!?!?
Hello?????????
Anybody home????????

Any ideas where Adrian Peterson will end up after the draft?

Wouldn't he have to VOLUNTARILY sign up for one of the branches of the armed forces first, or did I wake up in some sixties-induced peacenick lib-nightmare scenario? :confused:

But I guess. Even if he did end up in Iraq, he'd kick some terrorist-@ss anyways.

Boomer!!!

THE University of Oklahoma College of Medicine Class of 2011???

Who? Needless to say I've got no clue. ;)

So being in Oregon has made me depressed about going back to Oklahoma. :(

That's unfortunate... I thought you liked it here?

My fiance and I went on vacation to Corpus Christi, TX and we just had a blast. I think we agreed that we are going to move there after I get out of medical school! Anyone know if they have residencies down there? How do you look for places that have residencies? Do only cities that have med schools have them? :confused: Never really put that much thought into it b/c I figured I'd just have to stay in OKC, but it looks like we've got an alternate option to living in OK forever! :D

Also- anyone notice that our fall break falls on the same time as OU / tx weekend? I didn't go last year, so I think I should definitely go this year! Although it won't be the same without AD :( .

My fiance and I went on vacation to Corpus Christi, TX and we just had a blast. I think we agreed that we are going to move there after I get out of medical school! Anyone know if they have residencies down there? How do you look for places that have residencies? Do only cities that have med schools have them? :confused: Never really put that much thought into it b/c I figured I'd just have to stay in OKC, but it looks like we've got an alternate option to living in OK forever! :D

Also- anyone notice that our fall break falls on the same time as OU / tx weekend? I didn't go last year, so I think I should definitely go this year! Although it won't be the same without AD :( .

Give this link a shot. http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/
You can find any specialty/sub-specialty, and most have a link right to the residency/fellowhip main website.

Won't be the same without AD, but kickin' Texas @ss is fun no matter who is on the team!!!!!!!

To be honest, not really. I especially don't like OKC -- who knows, maybe I'll like Tulsa better. It's just so lush and green here in Oregon and so brown in OK. I've also got to say that it's great to be able to get to the coast in less than an hour. I love, love, love the ocean.

As for Corpus Cristi, don't know -- most likely residencies there would only be in FM.

Anyone know if they have residencies down there? How do you look for places that have residencies? Do only cities that have med schools have them? :confused: Never really put that much thought into it b/c I figured I'd just have to stay in OKC, but it looks like we've got an alternate option to living in OK forever! :D

You've got some time before you have to start thinking about residencies... you should at least start school first ;)

Also- anyone notice that our fall break falls on the same time as OU / tx weekend?.

This is on purpose, so you can go next year too!! (Although not after that... *sniff* third and fourth years don't get fall break... or spring break... or thanksgiving break... or summer... this is getting depressing)

You've got some time before you have to start thinking about residencies... you should at least start school first ;)

This is on purpose, so you can go next year too!! (Although not after that... *sniff* third and fourth years don't get fall break... or spring break... or thanksgiving break... or summer... this is getting depressing)

:laugh: Yeah, I have the tendency to try to plan things out waaaay too far in advance. Can't help it - I just want to plan my future as much as possible because there are just so many things in life you can't plan... So I over-prep. This was what made life so freaking hard when I was waitlisted... I interviewed Dec. 6 and didn't know what was going to happen to me until mid-July. Painful.

I kind of assumed they did that on purpose for us. On the no breaks ever again after 2nd year line of thought - I guess that really means we have 2 years left of being a "kid" and from then on, it's adulthood and real life. At least we know it's coming. Just think of the poor people who enter the real world right after graduating college!

Hey thanks soonereng for the link! Corpus Christi has an EM residency. Sweetness. Now, I just have to stick with the desire to do emergency medicine, maintain the intention to move there, and make sure I do well enough in school to get accepted to their program! No biggie..:rolleyes:

Just think of the poor people who enter the real world right after graduating college!
Like me? It's not really that bad. At most jobs you get vacation after some minimum period. Same thing with 3rd & 4th yr (I think it's two weeks between the two??) as well as residency.

Hey thanks soonereng for the link!

That was actually soonerfan77...but I'll take the credit if you insist. :rolleyes:

Hey thanks soonereng for the link! Corpus Christi has an EM residency. Sweetness. Now, I just have to stick with the desire to do emergency medicine, maintain the intention to move there, and make sure I do well enough in school to get accepted to their program! No biggie..:rolleyes:

How many carts can someone place before the horse? :p

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm kind of excited to get back from Spring Break. This week I've got 3rd year scheduling, another PCM preceptor session, BLS recertification, PCM taped interview, and finally ACLS certification on Saturday.

Oh... and I feel I should add that driving home from Colorado in the dark through thunderstorms is not fun. If you're driving a truck down a water soaked road and a little car is trying to pass you so they no longer have a torrent of water spraying from your wheels completely obscuring the road ahead, it is most definitely not good manners to speed up. Jackasses.

Like me? It's not really that bad. At most jobs you get vacation after some minimum period. Same thing with 3rd & 4th yr (I think it's two weeks between the two??) as well as residency.

That was actually soonerfan77...but I'll take the credit if you insist. :rolleyes:

Whoops! Sorry about that soonerfan! You guys need different names... that don't start with the same word for those of us who are lazy and only look at part of it. Sorry again - thanks soonerfan! :)

Oh, and woohoo for two whole weeks of vacation for a year! That'll really be great! (note- sarcasm was used in this statement). Really though, I know you get some vacation time, but it is quite minimal compared to the summer vacations and Christmas breaks that we're used to in the student world.

Speaking of Christmas break, we've finally picked a date for our wedding (after being engaged for 1 yr 2 mo)! On December 29 I'll be a married woman. Now we just have to find a church... and everything else that you have to do for a wedding! :rolleyes:

Whoops! Sorry about that soonerfan! You guys need different names... that don't start with the same word for those of us who are lazy and only look at part of it. Sorry again - thanks soonerfan! :)

No worries. :cool:

Congratulations on your engagement, and if I may give a piece of advice, soak it all in. Don't stress; just enjoy the day. Oh, and take as many pictures as you can. Have everyone else take as many pictures as they can too. You never know who is going to get the "shot" that you will cherish forever,(because it has everyone looking at the camera with a natural smile).:luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.