University of Oklahoma, Classes of 2008-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been accepted into the OUCOM class of 2011. I'm just curious if there is any sort of reading material that is required before we begin in the fall. I'll be studying abroad until July to finish my undergrad degree and I just want to get a head start on things. Is there any other advice that you'd give to do the summer before to get ready for the first year. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to OU! Take it easy, enjoy your break, read anything that has nothing to do with science, keep a journal on how excited you are that you will be a doctor and how great a doctor you will be, then put it in a safe place.

Members don't see this ad :)
grinder4, congrats on the accepance.

So I finally got a letter from the CoM saying; "Yes we remember that we accepted you, and we're going to be sending you more information in the coming weeks about all the stuff that you need to do before school starts."

I guess they didn't forget about me after all. :thumbup:

Whoops! Sorry about that soonerfan! You guys need different names... that don't start with the same word for those of us who are lazy and only look at part of it.

Don't forget about SoonerGeek too....we really must all just have no imagination when it comes to inventing a handle. :sleep: Maybe one of these days when they have another name change event I will change mine to something that isn't my current career or alma mater.

Like me? It's not really that bad. At most jobs you get vacation after some minimum period. Same thing with 3rd & 4th yr (I think it's two weeks between the two??) as well as residency.

Yeah but nothing like school vacation. :) My last employer was pretty generous with the vacation in that we all started out with 2 weeks from day one and got 3 weeks after about 2 years. People who had been there a really long time had 30 days. Compare that with summer off, 3 weeks for winter break, 1 week spring break, random days here and there, etc. So 1st and 2nd year are boring and tedious, but hey we get lots of time off.

Yeah but nothing like school vacation. :) My last employer was pretty generous with the vacation in that we all started out with 2 weeks from day one and got 3 weeks after about 2 years. People who had been there a really long time had 30 days. Compare that with summer off, 3 weeks for winter break, 1 week spring break, random days here and there, etc. So 1st and 2nd year are boring and tedious, but hey we get lots of time off.

I'm taking this summer off and do nothing but relax and study at my leisure for step 1. :thumbup:

It bites that we have to go to class 3 days this week and 2 next week :mad:

I'm taking this summer off and do nothing but relax and study at my leisure for step 1. :thumbup:

It bites that we have to go to class 3 days this week and 2 next week :mad:

3 days next week too, whistlebritches...

:mad: :(

So just to check, we have to go to both EBM sessions and one pbl session? What's the deal with the physio lab? I haven't quite gotten to respiratory yet. :oops:

That's this week, as I'm sure you know, but I would think it's just showing us how to do/how to interp data from the PFT where the Breathing Nazi yells in your ear to BLOW! BLOW! BLOW! KEEP GOING!!! (not to be confused with any Quicktime files Johnny has containing the same phrases...)

That's this week, as I'm sure you know, but I would think it's just showing us how to do/how to interp data from the PFT where the Breathing Nazi yells in your ear to BLOW! BLOW! BLOW! KEEP GOING!!! (not to be confused with any Quicktime files Johnny has containing the same phrases...)

:laugh:

What's a PFT ? :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok...this is total bullsh*t.
I got a bill today from a collection agency for a $400 phonebill from 1996 ?
(willing to settle for $200....Verizon, formerly GTE)

This is the first I've heard of it.

Isn't there some statute of limitations on stupid stuff like this?

Where's Bagel Babe...she has a law degree.

F*kkin *ssholes.

Ok...this is total bullsh*t.
I got a bill today from a collection agency for a $400 phonebill from 1996 ?
(willing to settle for $200....Verizon, formerly GTE)

This is the first I've heard of it.

Isn't there some statute of limitations on stupid stuff like this?

Where's Bagel Babe...she has a law degree.

F*kkin *ssholes.

Hmm, I thought about taking a consumer protection class but then didn't, so yeah, I got nothing. Yeah, I do think they have to send you notice that they're turning you over to collections before they do so. I'd at least call them and let them know this is your first notice. You want more info, and you want to make sure it doesn't show up on your credit report.

I hate cr@p like that. :(

Hmm, I thought about taking a consumer protection class but then didn't, so yeah, I got nothing. Yeah, I do think they have to send you notice that they're turning you over to collections before they do so. I'd at least call them and let them know this is your first notice. You want more info, and you want to make sure it doesn't show up on your credit report.

Oklahoma has a 5-yr limit of debt collections for a written contract.
http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/SOL-by-State.html#37
So they can blow me. :thumbup:

Need some help...

The waitlisted/denied students meeting tomorrow (27th) is business attire, right?:confused:

Wait til you buy a house...not that I know for sure you haven't, but that sort of crap pops back up then...

Case in point, my wife (who was not at the time) had a Tan and Tone membership that ended up going to collections. Like 7 years later, when we went to buy our 1st house, they said we wouldn't be able to get a loan without that off our credit. So I called 'em to see if they'd just take it off, since it wasn't a bunch of money and was so long ago. They were real dinguses and wouldn't do it. So I said **** this **** and went to the bank and told the teller, "I need 11,267 pennies." She balked until I told her what I wanted it for, then she gave me a bunch of bank bags full of pennies. So I went to the collections agency, which I won't name in case it ever mysteriously explodes due to a gas leak, with a 110 pound backpack full of unrolled pennies. Oh yes, I cut the rolls off. After being physically removed from the premises by 3 of the biggest guys I'd ever seen in person, which the manager got after I told him it was going to take more than him to make me leave, I ended up having to mail them a check. Leverage is a mother****er...

But I learned 3 things that day:
1. Never sign up for something without reading the ****ing contract.
2. $112, in pennies, is really ****ing heavy.
3. There are still good people in this world, willing to let niceties like "Try and throw me out and I'll cut your ****ing throat..." go without pressing charges.

I still have a carboy (like a big glass Ozarka bottle) full of pennies. I'm afraid to lift it; the bottom might fall out...

But I learned 3 things that day:
1. Never sign up for something without reading the ****ing contract.
2. $112, in pennies, is really ****ing heavy.
3. There are still good people in this world, willing to let niceties like "Try and throw me out and I'll cut your ****ing throat..." go without pressing charges.

Dude....you're nuts...+pissed+

So my boss pulls me in his office today and is like: "I know we never asked you before, but what would it take for you to stay? And maybe we can't get it done, but think HIGH."

What I wanted to say: "Well, a guaranteed job for the rest of my life (my industry is notorious for cyclical layoffs), a little more respect, and a guaranteed salary of $150K minimum in 7 years with a linear progression from my current salary to that salary."

What I said: "I'll think about it and let you know." (I need the job and benefits until August as my wife is with child and will probably have to go on bedrest in a couple months.)

I have no intention of ditching med school and staying with them, but what should I ask for that they might give me before I leave? Any thoughts?

So my boss pulls me in his office today and is like: "I know we never asked you before, but what would it take for you to stay? And maybe we can't get it done, but think HIGH."

What I wanted to say: "Well, a guaranteed job for the rest of my life (my industry is notorious for cyclical layoffs), a little more respect, and a guaranteed salary of $150K minimum in 7 years with a linear progression from my current salary to that salary."

What I said: "I'll think about it and let you know." (I need the job and benefits until August as my wife is with child and will probably have to go on bedrest in a couple months.)

I have no intention of ditching med school and staying with them, but what should I ask for that they might give me before I leave? Any thoughts?

Well since it sounds like they already know you're leaving, I'd just be honest. The thing that would make them feel the worst is if you ask for stuff as if getting it might make you stay. Now if you would stay if those conditions above are met, you might as well throw it out there. ;)

Well since it sounds like they already know you're leaving, I'd just be honest. The thing that would make them feel the worst is if you ask for stuff as if getting it might make you stay. Now if you would stay if those conditions above are met, you might as well throw it out there. ;)

Yeah, they know that I'm leaving as I needed them to work around my school schedule. Being superior in what you do has it's bargaining advantages. When I asked if they would work around my school schedule, they said: "What if we say no?" To which I responded: "Then I'm out the door in two weeks."

I don't see why I shouldn't string them on just like they have strung me on for the last 6 years. I finally called their bluff and now they realize how stupid it was to be so skimpy with the raises when my industry is making money hand over fist. The freakin' CEO of my company made $30 million last year and I get a measley 4% raise??? Plus my a-hole of a former boss who was removed for creating a hostile workplace is still pulling down his $150K with less work! No my company doesn't deserve me, and I don't deserve them either. Everything you hear about them in the news is true.

I wouldn't stay even if they met those other conditions because I want to be a doctor now.

Dude....you're nuts...+pissed+

Nah, nuts woulda been taking the stairs.

I prefer "passionate".

You want I should talk to your boss? Maybe I could negotiate a kick-ass severance package, for a small fee, of course? Or a Fight Club work from home program?

Heh... the most money I've ever made was a little over $5000 working part time over 6 months.

I'm looking forward to the steady paycheck of residency, so I don't feel like some sort of financial parasite on my wife.

You want I should talk to your boss? Maybe I could negotiate a kick-ass severance package, for a small fee, of course? Or a Fight Club work from home program?

Nah, I'm just trying to figure out what I should say that will leave me options for the future. Maybe I can get them to pay for my insurance throughout the school year if I come back to work over the summer? I'm in the drivers seat for the first time in my career and all it took was leaving...what a messed up world we live in.

Nah, I'm just trying to figure out what I should say that will leave me options for the future. Maybe I can get them to pay for my insurance throughout the school year if I come back to work over the summer? I'm in the drivers seat for the first time in my career and all it took was leaving...what a messed up world we live in.

You made me curious about where you worked with your comment about being in the news. Hmm? :) Ah, I guess I missed the vibe that you worked for evil people in your first post and that you wouldn't mind playing with them a little bit. It sucks that corporations ignore loyalty and only really respond to people who act like they're gonna leave.

So talking about med school stuff, does anyone else feel like they have no clue what's going on in EBM? It seems like there are too many buzzwords and too few explanations.

You made me curious about where you worked with your comment about being in the news. Hmm? :) Ah, I guess I missed the vibe that you worked for evil people in your first post and that you wouldn't mind playing with them a little bit. It sucks that corporations ignore loyalty and only really respond to people who act like they're gonna leave.

So talking about med school stuff, does anyone else feel like they have no clue what's going on in EBM? It seems like there are too many buzzwords and too few explanations.

Assbag!!! I typed 3 paragraphs and IE decides to be a tool!

Anyway....yea I'm lost in EBM...so far I have only read the crap before quizzes and done good on em...my group has carried my lame a*s for the other half.

My guess is that we should prolly know a little more about medicine, before we try to base it on evidence.

I'm sure as a resident I'll be sitting in journal club, thinking damn I'm glad I had that EBM class, as I punch #'s into my PDA and it spits me out everything we're learning. Because unless we practice all this, its utility as a MSI class eludes me...

I'm off to read some article fo' da quiz!

I'm guessing you work for an oil company, or some energy outfit... do you have your PE? You will miss engineering, but med school has its advantages and I'm looking forward to 3rd and 4th year. That said I would definitely think twice if I could be guaranteed 150k in 7 years. Something like the 80s oil bust could end these good times, though (well for the people working for the energy companies). ;)

Sorry for lurking so much guys... :)

My guess is that we should prolly know a little more about medicine, before we try to base it on evidence.

I'm sure as a resident I'll be sitting in journal club, thinking damn I'm glad I had that EBM class, as I punch #'s into my PDA and it spits me out everything we're learning. Because unless we practice all this, its utility as a MSI class eludes me...

I'm off to read some article fo' da quiz!

Just remember the blood samples were obtained in an ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid tube and you'll be fine :smuggrin:

I'm guessing you work for an oil company, or some energy outfit...

DING, DING, DING, we have a winner! Stock ticker: HAL for those who are curious.

...do you have your PE?

Why yes I do. Licensed professional engineer speaking here! If anyone needs a machine designed which can pillage our planet's natural resources, I'm your guy! Well, I can do a lot more than that, but that's my day job.

You will miss engineering, but med school has its advantages and I'm looking forward to 3rd and 4th year. That said I would definitely think twice if I could be guaranteed 150k in 7 years. Something like the 80s oil bust could end these good times, though (well for the people working for the energy companies). ;)

I probably will miss engineering some, but I hope to be able to bring my engineering expertise to bear in the medical field to further it where possible. I really do want to be a doctor now rather than an engineer for many reasons (and the chief reason isn't pay as my previous post might imply. I could make as much as a PCP if I stayed in industry as an engineering manager). The mistreatment by my company was just a catalyst to get me going where I should have gone all along.

DING, DING, DING, we have a winner! Stock ticker: HAL for those who are curious.

As much as capitalism has done and continues to do for our country, I still have hope somewhere that abusive and ethically questionable corporate practices will someday be fairly punished.

Wow, you really do work for the dark side, soonereng. Screw 'em and get what you can.

My cousin's graduating with a degree in geology and is going to go work for them after that somewhere in Texas I guess. I thought people wouldn't be so keen to accept job offers from them these days.

From my stint in corporate America, I've realized there are just so many inefficencies inherent in the corporate system. My company like all corporations was obsessed with their quarterly results, so it seemed like all decisions that were made were based on what would be good in a month instead of what would be good long term.

grinder4, congrats on the accepance.

So I finally got a letter from the CoM saying; "Yes we remember that we accepted you, and we're going to be sending you more information in the coming weeks about all the stuff that you need to do before school starts."

I guess they didn't forget about me after all. :thumbup:

Congrats Grinder!

I received this letter as well. There's a link to the c/o 2010's website and forums so that we can have our questions answered. :laugh: No one posts there!

Way to follow your dreams soonereng! Many people would get caught up in the money given your situation.:thumbup: (As if doctor's don't have a decent salary - but let's wait until next presidential election)

Need some help...

The waitlisted/denied students meeting tomorrow (27th) is business attire, right?:confused:

Probably too late for this response to be useful, but yes, it should be.

I'm nervous - I intend to write up at least some talking points for my role in the workshop, but I just didn't manage to do so. The ones I started to write were lame.

Congrats, Grinder, on your acceptance!

I've been accepted into the OUCOM class of 2011. I'm just curious if there is any sort of reading material that is required before we begin in the fall. I'll be studying abroad until July to finish my undergrad degree and I just want to get a head start on things. Is there any other advice that you'd give to do the summer before to get ready for the first year. Thanks.

Welcome and congrats! For your question, you don't have to do a d@mn thing until school starts. :D Well, you do have to take care of administrative bs like vaccines, financial aid, etc, but nothing intellectual. As for getting a head start, it's just not a realistic goal. Even if you cover some ground, it'll probably get you maybe one week ahead of everyone else. Enjoy your time abroad and your break -- med school and all its glory can wait 'til August.

So for some reason I missed that we have 2 pbl sessions this week. How freaking lame is that? :mad:

So for some reason I missed that we have 2 pbl sessions this week. How freaking lame is that? :mad:

Dang...I didn't see that Neuro pbl tomorrow.
Grrrr:mad:

I hope I don't need to know much for those Physio things tomorrow. :idea:
(or neuro)

Dang...I didn't see that Neuro pbl tomorrow.
Grrrr:mad:

I hope I don't need to know much for those Physio things tomorrow. :idea:
(or neuro)

Considering I ignored all the advice given to me and haven't started on respiratory physiology yet, I'm gonna know all of nothing tomorrow. Well, I guess we don't have to turn anything in.

I got to select my 3rd year schedule today... what a rush. :scared:

Schedule 33... It was actually my first choice of the schedules left over after day one, so I'm very pleased. :)

Medicine - 7/9/07 to 8/31/07
Surgery - 9/4/07 to 10/26/07
Family Medicine - 10/29/07 to 11/21/07
Selective (hopefully Radiology, but won't know for a while) - 11/26/07 to 12/7/07
Neurology - 12/10/07 to 12/21/07
Ob/Gyn - 1/7/08 to 2/15/08
Psychiatry - 2/18/08 to 3/28/08
Pediatrics - 3/31/08 to 5/9/08
Selective - 5/12/08 to 5/23/08
Geriatrics - 5/27/08 to 6/20/08

It feels crazy to know my life is pretty planned up until July of 2008. It's almost like there's a flickering light at the end of the tunnel. :D

I don't have my PE, but I love engineering and I hope to apply it to my medical career in the future. So far it really only helps in physiology. One day I hope to be sitting around using some medical instrument and have a "Eureka!" moment. Time will tell. :)

They really weighed us down this week with unnecessary school work. *sigh*

Medicine and Surgery in the beginning, wow.. Getting the hard stuff out of the way or do you have another reason?

Medicine and Surgery in the beginning, wow.. Getting the hard stuff out of the way or do you have another reason?

Yeah, I'm curious about the reasoning, too. Actually, the whole scheduling third year rotations is a mystery to me, so any insight about the thought process that goes into selecting stuff would be neat. :)

That's pretty much it. I could have gotten the schedule that had medicine, surgery, and ob/gyn in the fall, but I'm not a masochist. :p I wanted to get the big ones done early, mostly because I want to not have them waiting for me at the end but to also hopefully learn more early on, so my later rotations are more effective for me and my patients.

Everybody has their own philosophy and wants/needs when it comes to picking a schedule. My criteria were 1) having medicine and surgery in the fall, 2) changing rotations over the Thanksgiving break so theoretically I have a four day break there, 3) selectives in places where I hopefully won't be competing so much with the 4th years. That cut it down to about 6 schedules. From there I just crossed my fingers and waited. I didn't notice this before, but there's a three day weekend (Labor Day) between Medicine and Surgery as well. Weee! Also, my wedding anniversary falls on the weekend between the second selective and geriatrics, which is also a three day weekend (Memorial Day). Double weee!! :)

Personally, I think I got the best schedule, but there was one exactly like it and two that were very similar (transposed family medicine and geriatrics.)

Other people want medicine and surgery early because they're interested in either the emergency medicine or orthopedic surgery selectives which have them as prerequisites.

Now it's on to Step 1... :scared:

I also did 3rd year scheduling yesterday and mine was so similar that I'm just going to cut and paste Amx's and change a few rotations.

I got 38, which was my first choice from the beginning, so I'm very happy :)

Neurology - 10/29/07 to 11/9/07
Psych - 11/12/07 to 12/21/07
Selective - 2/18/08 to 2/29/08
Geriatrics (aka Partyiatrics) - 3/3/08 to 3/28/08
Peds - 3/31/08 to 5/9/08
Family Medicine - 5/27/08 - 6/20/08

You shouldn't get the idea from this that everybody wanted med/surg right at the beginning, it's just sort of a freak coincidence that Amx and I had such similar thought processes about it and both happened to be the people that posted on SDN. I guess we're both just a little masochistic :) I definitely wanted the hard stuff out of the way first, and it's also where you're going to learn the most, so I wanted to be as smart as possible by November ;) OB is also one of the specialties I'm most interested in, so I wanted to do that when I was fresh from Christmas break, but far enough along that I wasn't clueless. I also like the idea of ending with Family Medicine, it seems like a good circle of closure to start with Medicine (the building block of everything else) and end with Family (which synthesizes so many of the other areas). Amx, I bet we'll be seeing each other on a service or two :)

JWAX,

I thought your candidness was great. Congrats on making it happen.

Grinder, congratulations to you also!

I also did 3rd year scheduling yesterday and mine was so similar that I'm just going to cut and paste Amx's and change a few rotations.

I got 38, which was my first choice from the beginning, so I'm very happy :)

Neurology - 10/29/07 to 11/9/07
Psych - 11/12/07 to 12/21/07
Selective - 2/18/08 to 2/29/08
Geriatrics (aka Partyiatrics) - 3/3/08 to 3/28/08
Peds - 3/31/08 to 5/9/08
Family Medicine - 5/27/08 - 6/20/08

You shouldn't get the idea from this that everybody wanted med/surg right at the beginning, it's just sort of a freak coincidence that Amx and I had such similar thought processes about it and both happened to be the people that posted on SDN. I guess we're both just a little masochistic :) I definitely wanted the hard stuff out of the way first, and it's also where you're going to learn the most, so I wanted to be as smart as possible by November ;) OB is also one of the specialties I'm most interested in, so I wanted to do that when I was fresh from Christmas break, but far enough along that I wasn't clueless. I also like the idea of ending with Family Medicine, it seems like a good circle of closure to start with Medicine (the building block of everything else) and end with Family (which synthesizes so many of the other areas). Amx, I bet we'll be seeing each other on a service or two :)

Maybe we can finally talk in person instead of just the quick hello and a nod on the way into or out of the ELH. ;) How's your hubby doing, by the way?

Maybe we can finally talk in person instead of just the quick hello and a nod on the way into or out of the ELH. ;) How's your hubby doing, by the way?

Hey now, we can't ALL be up at school at 5:30 every morning ;) If it's not required, I'm not there :) (Something tells me I'm in for a rude awakening next year...)

Nick's doing great and says hi :) He's working hard on trying to get promoted soon... I hope he does too so he'll stop complaining about not being promoted :D

Everybody pumped for both EBM and PBL tomorrow? It'll be great. :rolleyes:

Does PBL really suck that bad?

All I hear is negatives about it. I understand the principle of EBM and all, but how is PBL supposed to help one learn? Give us an example of what you have to do. From what I understand, it is about application of what you are supposed to be learning, but I've never seen a real example.

I guess I will be able to either gripe :thumbdown: or rave :thumbup: about it this fall.

I think we hate PBL because we have to go to class. PBLs are sortof like applying what you've learned.

EBM is major boring though because it's more like a statistics class and you end up playing "where's waldo" to find every answer from an article. :sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.