University of Oklahoma, Classes of 2008-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does PBL really suck that bad?

All I hear is negatives about it. I understand the principle of EBM and all, but how is PBL supposed to help one learn? Give us an example of what you have to do. From what I understand, it is about application of what you are supposed to be learning, but I've never seen a real example.

I guess I will be able to either gripe :thumbdown: or rave :thumbup: about it this fall.

PBL sucks at OU because it's an educational afterthought that requires you to do busywork that you won't be tested on or receive any credit for in the weeks right before exams. PBL might maybe be okay at some other schools -- I don't know.

Your pbl group is one half of your mod. You show up and watch a video with a patient interview. Then you get some exam and test results. Then everyone stares at the floor for 20 minutes while you're supposed to discuss the case except for the one person who's actually caught up enough in class to have any clue what's going on. Everyone gets assigned a learning issue, which the pbl group is supposed to come up with. You spend 10 minutes researching that for the next session because the next session is the week before exams and again you get nothing for doing quality work and don't really have time anyway. Then you show up, present your stuff, and your group turns in a 1-2 page summary of what you talked about.

If pbl didn't always occur in the week right before exams. If we actually got credit for our work instead of just losing credit for not showing up. If it weren't tacked on as a total aside with no real integration with the rest of the class, etc., etc., etc. There's my pbl rant. :)

EBM actually sucks more than pbl to give you an idea of its horror. :scared: Needless to say I am not liking this week.

Members don't see this ad.

PBL sucks at OU because it's an educational afterthought that requires you to do busywork that you won't be tested on or receive any credit for in the weeks right before exams. PBL might maybe be okay at some other schools -- I don't know.

Your pbl group is one half of your mod. You show up and watch a video with a patient interview. Then you get some exam and test results. Then everyone stares at the floor for 20 minutes while you're supposed to discuss the case except for the one person who's actually caught up enough in class to have any clue what's going on. Everyone gets assigned a learning issue, which the pbl group is supposed to come up with. You spend 10 minutes researching that for the next session because the next session is the week before exams and again you get nothing for doing quality work and don't really have time anyway. Then you show up, present your stuff, and your group turns in a 1-2 page summary of what you talked about.

If pbl didn't always occur in the week right before exams. If we actually got credit for our work instead of just losing credit for not showing up. If it weren't tacked on as a total aside with no real integration with the rest of the class, etc., etc., etc. There's my pbl rant. :)

EBM actually sucks more than pbl to give you an idea of its horror. :scared: Needless to say I am not liking this week.

Bagel Babe, you're my motivational mentor! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
What, to burn down the school? :D I am in a bad mood this week! :eek:

At least we only have 1 month and 20 days left!

(not counting another year of studies, 2 years of rotations, and 3+ years of residency) :rolleyes:

I think the sucky part will end after next year...I hope :scared:

At least we only have 1 month and 20 days left!

(not counting another year of studies, 2 years of rotations, and 3+ years of residency) :rolleyes:

I think the sucky part will end after next year...I hope :scared:

You're thinking about it how I'm trying to view it. Just one step at a time. I'm getting jealous of ambx and wijg. :)

JWAX,

I thought your candidness was great. Congrats on making it happen.

Grinder, congratulations to you also!

Thanks, Tiagao!! :D I kinda thought I blew... I talked so freaking fast I'd be impressed if you could understand anything I was saying. Apparently one of my friends attended and I didn't even see her! I was really nervous, which is ridiculous because I'm sure you guys were more stressed than I was... if you need any more info on how to make it happen for yourself, let me know. I'm better one-on-one vs. large auditorium where everyone is starring at me and I've got members of the admissions board staring at my back...

I was happily suprised by the attendance of an EM doc that works at the hospital where I shadowed. I always really liked him, but learned early on that he was on the adcom so I couldn't tell him that he was da shizznit cuz he'd think I was just sucking up! :rolleyes:

I got to select my 3rd year schedule today... what a rush. :scared:

Schedule 33... It was actually my first choice of the schedules left over after day one, so I'm very pleased. :)

Medicine - 7/9/07 to 8/31/07
Surgery - 9/4/07 to 10/26/07
Family Medicine - 10/29/07 to 11/21/07
Selective (hopefully Radiology, but won't know for a while) - 11/26/07 to 12/7/07
Neurology - 12/10/07 to 12/21/07
Ob/Gyn - 1/7/08 to 2/15/08
Psychiatry - 2/18/08 to 3/28/08
Pediatrics - 3/31/08 to 5/9/08
Selective - 5/12/08 to 5/23/08
Geriatrics - 5/27/08 to 6/20/08

It feels crazy to know my life is pretty planned up until July of 2008. It's almost like there's a flickering light at the end of the tunnel. :D

Is this the lottery that was floating around hippocrates awhile back?

Are the selectives where you can schedule away rotations if those institutions take 3rd years?

Search for Tornados on youtube.
Makes a great study break :thumbup:

btw...i know more about the eyeball than I ever wanted to know now.

Search for Tornados on youtube.
Makes a great study break :thumbup:

btw...i know more about the eyeball than I ever wanted to know now.

But will that be enough? :scared:

It is that time of year again, when Gary gets all jacked up talking to Val, and Mike googes all over himself rubbing one out over anything red on the radar, and David cries wolf again...:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
But will that be enough? :scared:

It is that time of year again, when Gary gets all jacked up talking to Val, and Mike googes all over himself rubbing one out over anything red on the radar, and David cries wolf again...:rolleyes:

Is that from a soap opera or something?

Or from a naughty amateur vid starring out favorite mod-hooter in a wife-beater whitey. :D

Is this the lottery that was floating around hippocrates awhile back?

Are the selectives where you can schedule away rotations if those institutions take 3rd years?

Not sure about the thing floating around on Hippocrates.

The scheduling info for third years is on the MS3/4 tab of Hippocrates -> Scheduling Information (under MS3 Additional Resources)

We had random numbers assigned a month or so ago at the scheduling workshop. Everything they told us there is posted on Hippocrates. The selectives aren't long enough to do away rotations. They're specific segments where you get a little bit of choice about what you'd like to study. Right now (and as far as I know this has always been the case) there are 8 selectives to choose from: Anesthesiology, dermatology, ophthalmology, otorhinolaryngology, emergency medicine, orthopedic surgery, urology, and radiology. You have to complete five selectives during your third and fourth years, two of which are during your third year. I don't think you can repeat one, but I'm not certain on that.

The rotations where you can do away rotations are electives. I have no clue how those work right now, but there appears to be information on that scheduling section of Hippocrates.

Yay, tornadoes. :rolleyes: I've decided Oklahoma is actually cursed from a weather perspective -- cold, icy winters, burning hot summers, and dangerous springs.

So my parents are in California indefinitely taking care of my grandmother, and I thought I'd raid their fridge to grab all the stuff that would expire anyway while they were gone. Well, it's all already expired. No free food for us. :(

Why do I always type Ambx instead of Amx?

Did anybody else got totally p&ssed off yesterday in EBM? For one, where the hell did that 0.6 thing come from. She said she told us to use it, but I don't remember her telling us that. Thank goodness that class in its absolute horribleness is over except for the test. I'm sure the test will be a total b&tch, too.

Did anybody else got totally p&ssed off yesterday in EBM? For one, where the hell did that 0.6 thing come from. She said she told us to use it, but I don't remember her telling us that. Thank goodness that class in its absolute horribleness is over except for the test. I'm sure the test will be a total b&tch, too.

That class is pretty gay.

Not sure about the thing floating around on Hippocrates.

The scheduling info for third years is on the MS3/4 tab of Hippocrates -> Scheduling Information (under MS3 Additional Resources)

We had random numbers assigned a month or so ago at the scheduling workshop. Everything they told us there is posted on Hippocrates. The selectives aren't long enough to do away rotations. They're specific segments where you get a little bit of choice about what you'd like to study. Right now (and as far as I know this has always been the case) there are 8 selectives to choose from: Anesthesiology, dermatology, ophthalmology, otorhinolaryngology, emergency medicine, orthopedic surgery, urology, and radiology. You have to complete five selectives during your third and fourth years, two of which are during your third year. I don't think you can repeat one, but I'm not certain on that.

The rotations where you can do away rotations are electives. I have no clue how those work right now, but there appears to be information on that scheduling section of Hippocrates.

Yeah, the deal I was talking about was the drawing of random numbers to pick your templates.

I had just seen some residency programs that take away MS3's that have certain rotations completed already (like your first 2), so I was wondering how that fits into the schedule you guys drew.

So unless I missed something, you don't get elective rotations until 4th year? Is the scheduling for that random as well?

Yeah, the deal I was talking about was the drawing of random numbers to pick your templates.

I had just seen some residency programs that take away MS3's that have certain rotations completed already (like your first 2), so I was wondering how that fits into the schedule you guys drew.

So unless I missed something, you don't get elective rotations until 4th year? Is the scheduling for that random as well?

Unfortunately OU's just not set up for away rotations 3rd year. Some schools can probably fit them in (which may be part of the discussion about doing 3rd/4th year as one continuum), but at OU currently there's just no room for it. 4th year you have to do two required rotations (rural and ambulatory medicine) and 3 additional selectives from the list Amx mentioned. Other than that, it's entirely elective. There's not really a random number process for 4th year because there's no competition; since you don't have templates and you have such few required rotations and such varied interest in sub-i's (and such a HUGE selection of them) it's just not necessary. You just go in and schedule whatever you want whenever you want.

Of course, I may be wrong about any/all of this, but that's what I understand about the process. You also get some significant amount of vacation time 4th year that's yours to schedule for interviews, taking step 2, finding a house, having a baby, etc. etc.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, I can kind of see where OU's coming from on not doing aways 3rd year... they want you trained in THEIR way for the mandatory rotations, and an away rotation would either have to take the place of one of those required rotations (which would mean you'd be trained in a different philosophy for that rotation) or it would be a non-essential rotation (either a repeat of one you've already taken or some random subspecialty) that detracts from the point of third year and would replace time they want you learning the essentials. I also don't know why the programs would want 3rd years; the cool part about doing away sub-i's is that you get to function nearly as an intern because you've had all of your 3rd year rotations. As a 3rd year, you'd probably be so limited in what you could do that you'd want to do a sub-i fourth year anyway (unless you did it very late in 3rd year, in which case why not wait a month to do it 4th year). I guess I just don't see a situation where it would really make tons of sense to do an away 3rd year. But if some programs have them, somebody must :)

I say that like I found a mother-lode; I just found a few that take 3rd years, and to be fair, they qualify that by saying "as your last rotation" or "after completing surg and IM", but if OU won't let you go, it doesn't really matter who'll they'll take...

Other than that, it's entirely elective. There's not really a random number process for 4th year because there's no competition; since you don't have templates and you have such few required rotations and such varied interest in sub-i's (and such a HUGE selection of them) it's just not necessary. You just go in and schedule whatever you want whenever you want.

So... where is the large list of the selectives / sub-i's (is there a dif?) that are possible for your 4th year?

So... where is the large list of the selectives / sub-i's (is there a dif?) that are possible for your 4th year?

You crack me up... first residencies, now 4th year scheduling?? Slow down, grasshopper. First year first. Besides, you can't get to the list until you have a hippocrates log-in (which, annoyingly, you won't get until orientation. I think you should at LEAST have an email address around June, but I guess IT begs to differ).

If the '10ers want to see it, go to the MS3/4 section of hippocrates, and it's under 4th year additional materials/4th year electives. In my cursory glance of the 26 page document, I didn't see any of the international rotations listed, so I'm assuming that's a separate handout they give to the 3rd years.

EDIT: Also, I missed your question. There is a difference between selectives and sub-i's. Selectives are two-week rotations in the specialties Amx listed: Anesthesiology, Derm, Ophtho, ENT, Emergency, Ortho, Urology, and Radiology. You must take 5 of the 8, two of which will be in your 3rd year and the other 3 will be in your 4th year. Sub-i's are taken in your fourth year, and those are the electives (as oppposed to selectives) that I was talking about. They're called sub-i's (sub-internships) because you function essentially as an intern (first-year resident) since you don't get any particular additional training between 3rd year and intern year.

I almost edited again, and then I remembered that I could just up my post count ;)

Sub-i's are often taken in the area that you intend to specialize in, since you're interested in it and it's always good to get in the good graces of your home program (PD, attendings, etc.) for LOR's and the fact that if you're trying to match into a competitive program, you may have a slight advantage with your home program. You can also do away rotations, which are often "audition rotations" at places that you're applying to residency. I've heard about 1/2 and 1/2 that you either should definitely do aways at your top one or two choices or that you definitely SHOULDN'T do aways.

My best guess at sifting through all that would be that if you tend to get really glowing reviews on your 3rd year rotations, that it's probably a good indication that doing an away would really help you. On the other hand, if you tend to get average evals, it might hurt you more than help you. If you decide to do them, you should really be able to knock their socks off.

You crack me up... first residencies, now 4th year scheduling?? Slow down, grasshopper. First year first.

:) Glad I make you laugh. Hey, at least I'm going backwards from trying to check out residencies to just looking at 4th year ;) . Step in the right direction. Maybe by they time we actually start 1st year I'll be asking questions about first year! Actually, on that line of thought, I would love to ask questions about 1st & 2nd year, but I've heard so much about it that I feel I've got more than a good idea about what it's like. The only real question is - can I do it? :eek: Most likely, but you never know. People do fail out. A friend of mine that went to osteopathic school dropped out & went into nursing b/c it was too stressful! Crazy.

Anyways, thanks for answering my gun-jumping questions. Muchas gracias.

The only real question is - can I do it? :eek: Most likely, but you never know. People do fail out. A friend of mine that went to osteopathic school dropped out & went into nursing b/c it was too stressful! Crazy.

Anyways, thanks for answering my gun-jumping questions. Muchas gracias.

You've worked way too hard to get in... you know you can do it. Most of the people that drop out do so because they didn't really want to do it that badly in the first place, didn't know what they were getting into, or had totally uncontrollable personal life crises that were just incompatible with med school at that time. It doesn't sound like you fit into either of the first two categories (most reapps don't), and while there's nothing you can do about the third, they're pretty unusual.

You're also going to a really supportive school. Since we're not graded on a curve, we all help each other out much more than at other schools (most people post their study guides on Hippocrates for everyone else to use). The admin also really wants you to get through it. While we do have several (~6-10) people repeat first year every year, we have VERY few drop out (those that do typically fall into the personal life crises group).

So try not to stress so much... when the time gets here, you'll be able to do it :thumbup:

I'm with WITJ here that you shouldn't worry about failing out. I don't think anybody fails about of medical school because of aptitude issues -- the schools do too much screening to allow that. My hunch is that most people who don't pass either don't have that much motivation to be there or have other life issues that are getting in their way. I will say that now is probably the time to look into treatment if you suspect you might have ADHD or anxiety issues.

Okay, so I have a question about admin responsiveness? Where are we supposed to complain about stuff? They can't be responsive if they don't know what's not working. I'm seriously bugged that we're having all this required waste of my time stuff in the week before test block. IMO, it's really poor scheduling. Is there somewhere where we're supposed to bring this stuff forward. I did post a complaint on hippocrates. :)

I'm with WITJ here that you shouldn't worry about failing out. I don't think anybody fails about of medical school because of aptitude issues -- the schools do too much screening to allow that. My hunch is that most people who don't pass either don't have that much motivation to be there or have other life issues that are getting in their way. I will say that now is probably the time to look into treatment if you suspect you might have ADHD or anxiety issues.

If nothing else, get a Ritalin script :thumbup: but yeah treatment would be good too...

If nothing else, get a Ritalin script :thumbup: but yeah treatment would be good too...

I could use some of that to help me focus on all the boring cr@p I have to shove into my brain next week. ;) Not like I'll be able to focus much because I'll be running around going to bs required attendance sessions. :thumbdown:

I could use some of that to help me focus on all the boring cr@p I have to shove into my brain next week. ;) Not like I'll be able to focus much because I'll be running around going to bs required attendance sessions. :thumbdown:

You say: "bs required attendance sessions", they hear:"Integrated Learning Opportunity, Timed for the Theoretical Maximal Pre-Clinical Knowledge" :sleep: :rolleyes:

Why is HR the most evil field? I've always found HR people to be some of the nicest around.

They're friendly, but I don't trust them. :) They're largely incompetent -- this is based on working on employee benefits for an insurance company. Most HR people have very little understanding of the details of any of their company's insurance policies. Also, at my last job we got endless slick emails explaining how we benefited from having our benefits cut. :rolleyes:

I don't know -- I think of HR people like the "nice" girl in high school who always smiles at you and says hi yet talks smack about you behind your back. The fact that they're about 75% super attractive females probably contributes to this feeling. Also, they're the ones involved in layoffs and firings.

They're friendly, but I don't trust them. :) They're largely incompetent -- this is based on working on employee benefits for an insurance company. Most HR people have very little understanding of the details of any of their company's insurance policies. Also, at my last job we got endless slick emails explaining how we benefited from having our benefits cut. :rolleyes:

I don't know -- I think of HR people like the "nice" girl in high school who always smiles at you and says hi yet talks smack about you behind your back. The fact that they're about 75% super attractive females probably contributes to this feeling. Also, they're the ones involved in layoffs and firings.

:thumbup: The HR person for Stillwater is super nice, but it's almost that sicky-sweet kind of nice that makes you wonder if she'd eat her own young. We all said she'd cut your throat if she had to, but she'd do it with a smile.

That said, I still talk to her from time to time, with insurance issues. She could just say pound sand since I don't work there, but she is real helpful.

genius.

Also, they're the ones involved in layoffs and firings.

In my company the only role they have in layoffs and firings are taking the heat that the management should be taking. They make no decisions themselves. It is always the management who make the decision that the HR people have to implement.

I also totally agree about them typically not knowing what the benefits and policies are. The answer every time I have asked is: "I will have to make a phone call or send an email to find out." My thought is always: "Isn't that what you're paid to know?"

I guess I don't equate incompetence with evil, although like you say, it may all just be a facade.

In my company the only role they have in layoffs and firings are taking the heat that the management should be taking. They make no decisions themselves. It is always the management who make the decision that the HR people have to implement.

You're right -- they're not as evil as corporate management. They are involved in making sure that company can fire/layoff people without any repercussions, though, so I think they're still on the dark side. :) Of course, I'm speaking in gross generalizations here and am engaging in lots of stereotyping. I'll begrudgingly say that some of them are competent and decent people.

anyone here go to the scrimmage yesterday?

also, can we get student tickets as med students? any info would be great!

anyone here go to the scrimmage yesterday?

also, can we get student tickets as med students? any info would be great!

Yes, you can get student tickets. You're still an OU student, technically, even though it's the OUHSC.

If you don't manage to or don't want to get season tickets (talking about football here) there are almost always some available on the discussion boards unless you're talking about Bedlam. I think most people try to buy them, so they can get tickets to OU/TX and go or sell them for a profit. ;)

Yes, you can get student tickets. You're still an OU student, technically, even though it's the OUHSC.

If you don't manage to or don't want to get season tickets (talking about football here) there are almost always some available on the discussion boards unless you're talking about Bedlam. I think most people try to buy them, so they can get tickets to OU/TX and go or sell them for a profit. ;)

thanks.:thumbup: any idea when or how to get them? i believe undergrad can in august, but i'm curious about us. also, is there a drawing or does anyone who wants them in grad school get them?

Bumping from near the bottom of the second page. :eek:

I'll see your bump...
and raise you two bumps and a tap.

I have just noticed that the cleanliness of my office/bedroom is inversely proportional to the proximity of a test block. ;)

I'm a pig! (no comments from freeze)

I'll see your bump...
and raise you two bumps and a tap.

I have just noticed that the cleanliness of my office/bedroom is inversely proportional to the proximity of a test block. ;)

I'm a pig! (no comments from freeze)

At first I thought you were going on the whole I clean instead of studying pattern. I'm a pig, too. :oops:

So what's up with professors not sharing their powerpoints? From lurking on the MS2 boards, I've noticed this is an issue with some of their lectures, and now I've heard the last histo lecturer won't release her slides. Okay, so admittedly I never go to class anymore, but I used the powerpoints to study for classes that I did attend way back when I did that. Also, the slides have to be really useful for people doing notegroups.

If the powerpoints enhance our learning, why not share? I guess I'm confused because I thought the point of our classes was for us to learn material, not to stroke the egos of our professors. :rolleyes:

So what's up with professors not sharing their powerpoints? From lurking on the MS2 boards, I've noticed this is an issue with some of their lectures, and now I've heard the last histo lecturer won't release her slides. Okay, so admittedly I never go to class anymore, but I used the powerpoints to study for classes that I did attend way back when I did that. Also, the slides have to be really useful for people doing notegroups.

If the powerpoints enhance our learning, why not share? I guess I'm confused because I thought the point of our classes was for us to learn material, not to stroke the egos of our professors. :rolleyes:

If homeschooling is an option the admin acknowledges, then profs shouldn't be allowed to decide what materials to share or not share with students paying 40k/yr to learn.

I hate profs that care more about their ego than educating students.

If it's gonna be on any exam, then we have a right to the info.

Let me clarify what's going on with our class-- there are two occasions I know of with profs intentionally not sharing powerpoints (sometimes it just doesn't get done because so-and-so assumes so-and-so will take care of it and so on).

One is our most recent IHI review. While it does sort of blow that he didn't post the powerpoints, the reviews aren't anything they have to do for us at all. I can kind of understand him saying that if he's going to go out of his way to do a review for us out of the kindness of his heart, that he would like to talk to a full lecture hall. Basically, if he's gotta be there, he wanted us to be there. While I think that would be way out of line for general teaching, I do see the point when it's something non-essential that he doesn't have to do if he doesn't want to.

The other kinds of reviews that aren't posted are actual test bank questions that we review in IHI, and those definitely can't be posted because they might be test questions for you guys next year, and they'd hate for you gunners to see them ahead of time :)

Generally speaking, I agree with you that powerpoints should be posted. But, in these specific circumstances, I think it makes sense.

Let me clarify what's going on with our class-- there are two occasions I know of with profs intentionally not sharing powerpoints (sometimes it just doesn't get done because so-and-so assumes so-and-so will take care of it and so on).

One is our most recent IHI review. While it does sort of blow that he didn't post the powerpoints, the reviews aren't anything they have to do for us at all. I can kind of understand him saying that if he's going to go out of his way to do a review for us out of the kindness of his heart, that he would like to talk to a full lecture hall. Basically, if he's gotta be there, he wanted us to be there. While I think that would be way out of line for general teaching, I do see the point when it's something non-essential that he doesn't have to do if he doesn't want to.

The other kinds of reviews that aren't posted are actual test bank questions that we review in IHI, and those definitely can't be posted because they might be test questions for you guys next year, and they'd hate for you gunners to see them ahead of time :)

Generally speaking, I agree with you that powerpoints should be posted. But, in these specific circumstances, I think it makes sense.

Wow, I guess I'm really not a gunner because I've never thought looking at powerpoints for MS2 classes. :eek:

That's good to hear, though, that not sharing powerpoints isn't becoming more widespread and that it seems to be limited to review. Still, I'd love to see powerpoints for review -- they were great for embryo. :)

Now if only our histo powerpoints will show up. :mad:

Keep in mind this is only for IHI.

Dr. Tucker doesn't post her slides for HB, and some professors also won't do it. Some of the pharmacology slides also don't get posted.

I think it all comes down to factors relating to intellectual property and whatnot.

Keep in mind this is only for IHI.

Dr. Tucker doesn't post her slides for HB, and some professors also won't do it. Some of the pharmacology slides also don't get posted.

I think it all comes down to factors relating to intellectual property and whatnot.

Yeah, the powerpoints are copyrighted, and the professors I guess can control how it's used. I still think it's a little petty not to share them. Actually, Dr. Tucker did post her powerpoints for us, so I guess she changed her mind. It's also irritating if we don't get advance notice that the professor won't share them.

Status
Not open for further replies.