University of Pittsburgh SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to let everyone know, I received my anticipated fin aid award on saturday. Technically the letter arrived at my rent's house in Pittsburgh. I was accepted in early April and turned my fin aid forms in a few weeks ago. I think it's safe to assume that letters will be coming in next week for all those who are still waiting...

chea

Members don't see this ad.

wuironl said:
Just to let everyone know, I received my anticipated fin aid award on saturday. Technically the letter arrived at my rent's house in Pittsburgh. I was accepted in early April and turned my fin aid forms in a few weeks ago. I think it's safe to assume that letters will be coming in next week for all those who are still waiting...

chea

So, were they generous?

JDWflash44 said:
So, were they generous?

Not extremely, 25% grant and 75% loan = a lot of debt for wuionl. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well guys, it's been fun, but I withdrew tonight. I got of the waitlist of the Cleveland Clinic and they gave me an amazing financial package. Pitt's package was nothing in comparison. I met some of you guys at second look and it was great. I know I would have been happy at Pitt, but you can't go everywhere that you get in, so there are gonna be some tough choices. Good luck guys :luck:

Jim

Speaking of with-drawing acceptances, has anyone heard anything in regards to the Wait-List experiencing movement?

I doubt it has/will 'til the 15th of this month; I heard from Paula that it would not, so I'm assuming they allow open slots to accumulate, and then go about informing wait-listers that they've been upgraded - like a massive cohort.

That, along with getting in off other schools' wait-lists, should make this interesting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I want Pitt so bad. lol :eek:

Congrats to all of you that already plan on attending :thumbup: . And best of luck to my fellow wait-listers. :luck:

Algorhythmik said:
Speaking of with-drawing acceptances, has anyone heard anything in regards to the Wait-List experiencing movement?

I doubt it has/will 'til the 15th of this month; I heard from Paula that it would not, so I'm assuming they allow open slots to accumulate, and then go about informing wait-listers that they've been upgraded - like a massive cohort.

Hey, fellow WL-er here. Haven't heard of any movement, but friends of mine who were on the WL last year for Pitt didn't hear till early June...Agree with you on the after 15th guess though.

BTW, when did you "hear from Paula"? Give the office a call or is that from before?

JDWflash44 said:
Well guys, it's been fun, but I withdrew tonight. I got of the waitlist of the Cleveland Clinic and they gave me an amazing financial package. Pitt's package was nothing in comparison. I met some of you guys at second look and it was great. I know I would have been happy at Pitt, but you can't go everywhere that you get in, so there are gonna be some tough choices. Good luck guys :luck:

Jim

aww. ill miss ya jim, happy trails, and good luck at CC.

Today I:
1) Got my nose pierced
2) Got my financial aid package from Pitt

It pretty much seals the deal. 1/3 scholarship, which is more than I ever expected. I've never applied without my parents' stats before ... wow. Cool.

Attachments

• mynose.jpg
    mynose.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 131
Does anyone know when Pitt actually starts? I'm trying to figure out if a road trip is feasible between the pre-mat program and when school starts.

prana_md said:
Does anyone know when Pitt actually starts? I'm trying to figure out if a road trip is feasible between the pre-mat program and when school starts.

August 14th is the official start date. I believe we have at least one week of orientation before that.

joyous said:
August 14th is the official start date. I believe we have at least one week of orientation before that.

there's a class of 2010 calendar somewhere on the website that shows 21 Aug as the first week of class (intro to being a physician)

You're right. I checked and it says in the acceptance package that August 14th is the start of orientation, not start of classes.

Hey Guys,

Did they take out the summative exams for our class. I see last year schedule has summative exams on them but our schedule does not have summative exams.. Does anyone know? Oh BTW hey everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you guys won't have summative exams.

:)
Economist said:
Yeah, you guys won't have summative exams.

That's great!!!!! :) ..I think :idea: What made them change?

Yeah... good answer. I *think* it's great, too. I hope so, for your sake.

Basically, if you look at the schedule for class of 2009, there's no time in it to study for summative exams. The administration figured if they weren't giving us adequate time to study, there's really no point in giving the exams.

It wasn't really a big deal for anatomy, since it has its own summative which is combined with testing new material. So it was just like a regular final. But the 3rd summative tested fuel metabolism (aka biochem), immunology, and microbiology. That's 11 or 12 weeks of material, and we had 1 whole free day to study (and that was only because they made the summative on a Saturday).

So basically, it was pretty stressful and I guess they didn't feel like they were achieving the goal of having us relearn the material if all we were doing was cramming for a day or two.

Economist said:
Yeah... good answer. I *think* it's great, too. I hope so, for your sake.

Basically, if you look at the schedule for class of 2009, there's no time in it to study for summative exams. The administration figured if they weren't giving us adequate time to study, there's really no point in giving the exams.

It wasn't really a big deal for anatomy, since it has its own summative which is combined with testing new material. So it was just like a regular final. But the 3rd summative tested fuel metabolism (aka biochem), immunology, and microbiology. That's 11 or 12 weeks of material, and we had 1 whole free day to study (and that was only because they made the summative on a Saturday).

So basically, it was pretty stressful and I guess they didn't feel like they were achieving the goal of having us relearn the material if all we were doing was cramming for a day or two.

I've heard that if you failed a regular exam, it wouldn't matter as long as you passed the summative exam. Do you know what will happen now if any of us fails a regular exam?

Also, does anyone know when we'll have the white coat ceremony?

did everyone get their fin aid awards? i'm wondering if i should be calling the school to make sure they got my info

midwest_turtle said:
did everyone get their fin aid awards? i'm wondering if i should be calling the school to make sure they got my info

I haven't received it either, and I live like an hour from Pittsburgh. Give it a couple more days.

I'm wondering how many people are doing this premat prgm. I had vacation plans but they just got cancelled because my buddy has to repeat anatomy over the summer! Premat may be the way to go...on the other hand, my friend already lent me all her books so I could just preview a bit on my own. Btw, if you haven't had anatomy and don't have a photographic memory, I'd definitely recommend looking over a few things this summer. I'm glancing through my friend's book right now and there's a freak-load of muscles, nerves, vessels, etc. to memorize....it's all really overwhelming.

midwest_turtle said:

If you need the award package to make a decision, or if you're just impatient, I think it's fine to call the financial aid office. I called yesterday and they told me my award package on the phone. They were really nice about it.

HSteacher said:
I've heard that if you failed a regular exam, it wouldn't matter as long as you passed the summative exam. Do you know what will happen now if any of us fails a regular exam?

Also, does anyone know when we'll have the white coat ceremony?

I don't know what the new policy will be. I'll ask some people and see what I can find out.

I think the white coat ceremony is the day before orientation.

AGAPE487 said:
Hey Guys,

Did they take out the summative exams for our class. I see last year schedule has summative exams on them but our schedule does not have summative exams.. Does anyone know? Oh BTW hey everyone.

Can you tell me where you see our schedule posted? I could not find it for the life of me. Thanks a lot.

JDWflash44 said:

Jim

same here... pitt offered me no grant while lerner is offering me 50%. that just seems to be a too much of discrepancy. :confused: i was 99% set on pitt, and now, i'm right back where i was a few months ago.

Where are all you guys living next year (incoming M1s) ?

Hi! I love Pitt, but I just withdrew to go somewhere closer to home. Here's sending out some hope to someone on the wait list. Enjoy, y'all. Pitt's an amazing school. :love:

Hey guys, do any of you know the email address of the associate dean of admissions? I can't find it anywhere. I'm praying to get into Pitt off the waitlist.

Mixtli said:
Hey guys, do any of you know the email address of the associate dean of admissions? I can't find it anywhere. I'm praying to get into Pitt off the waitlist.

Paula Davis's email addy is [email protected]

I'm officially decided on Pitt, mostly because it rules--what a rush! See you all in August! WOo yeah!

The thread is starting to die down a bit post May 15th. Anyway, anyone doing premat?

Hi all.

I am planning on joining the pre-matriculation class this june. it sounds like a great way to transition...

I saw that some of us are interested in yoga, etc. anyone know of health food stores in the area?

Looking forward to meeting all of you!:)

i'll be attending the pre-mat program.

by the way, what were the two books we were strongly advised to read before our matriculation? i think one of the titles was time to heal, but i forget the other.

anyhow, hope to see you all soon.

SungHyun7 said:

by the way, what were the two books we were strongly advised to read before our matriculation? i think one of the titles was time to heal, but i forget the other.

Hey guys I did not get the info about the book, was it in the packets that were e-mailed to us. Well, can you guys just list the books with the authors.

SungHyun7 said:

Are you talking about the books mentioned by the History of Medicine professor during the tour of the library?

I know that he mentioned Time to Heal and William Osler: A Life in Medicine, I think...

HSteacher said:
Are you talking about the books mentioned by the History of Medicine professor during the tour of the library?

I know that he mentioned Time to Heal and William Osler: A Life in Medicine, I think...

i believe you're right. 'a life in medicine' was the second title.

thanks.

at least now, i can bring them to europe! i'll worry about the actual reading at a later date :D

well, we do have a whole foods in east liberty, and there is a coop out on Penn in Point Breeze that is also pretty nice and has a decent selection that is different from what they carry at whole foods (and there is an indoor climbing wall in the building to boot). There is one on Murray in Sq Hill called goldenseal (I think) that I keep driving by meaning to stop but about all I can tell you right now is that they have nice window displays. There are also many different farmers markets across the city in the summer... the one in the south side is pretty good and is a few blocks down and across the street from breathe yoga studio, which is also pretty cool place.

As an aside, if anyone is in need of any gluten free food there is an excellent store on 19s called sunny bridge natural foods.

Oh, and anyone who will be here for the summer and might be interested in kayaking, check out http://www.outsideadventures.org/ for fun, relatively cheap trips in no way affiliated with medicine (or me, for that matter, it's just a cool nonprofit I wish I'd known about earlier :)

hope this helps.

Thanks Hattie:)!

I was also searching for gluten free foods and a fun yoga center so your reply is right on target... i'm going to check out the kayaking... maybe a group trip on the weekends is in order:)

Ilana:)

funshine said:
30-45 minutes just to get to class? Hmm, I think I'd rather live in Oakland within walking distance, even if it means the apartment's going to be crappy. The buses were really crowded when I visited...my hosts said they just "got used to it" but what do you do during those 45 minute busrides? Study for class? Wouldn't you freak out on exam days?

Apartments in Oakland aren't crappy. Live in Oakland or Shadyside. Many of our classmates who live further out (even in the further parts of Squirrel hill) are moving closer to the action this year.

For anyone who's looking: I found the area between Shadyside and Friendship to be quite nice...there are a bunch of condos on Hemingway which you can buy for around 200K, and I believe a lot of doctors and residents live here. I'd check out prudential online, schedule an appt with a realtor and look around for a day before deciding.

Hemingway is not a good street to live on. It's pretty much the projects. Friendship is only okay in the part closest to Shadyside. And if you're looking to buy, $200K will get you A LOT in a nice area of Shadyside, Sq Hill or Oakland.

Hey guys,
Just writing again to let you all know that I have an apartment for sublet in Friendship, only one block from Shadyside. It is VERY accessible to Pitt's campus, is only $400/month and is walking distance from recently renovated Giant Eagle and Eckerd's drug store. I will be traveling for my last summer before starting MS-2 and would love to be able to have someone help on the rent while I'm gone. Also, it will give you a chance to get to Pittsburgh a bit early and get settled. Let me know if you're interested! My email address is [email protected]

Hey,
Does anyone know if we could pay the deposit online?? If we can, how?

zzman said:
Hey,

I dont think you can... you probably should withdraw.

(Obviously, I'm on the waitlist :))

zzman said:
Hey,

Hey ZMan,

I think you can only send the depoit through the mail and also I think the deposit was due by Wens. 24th. So if you did not pay it already you should call and let them know that you are coming so they don't give up your seat.

AGAPE487 said:
Hey ZMan,

I think you can only send the depoit through the mail and also I think the deposit was due by Wens. 24th. So if you did not pay it already you should call and let them know that you are coming so they don't give up your seat.

But if you don't turn in that deposit, it's all good. ;)
(I'm on the waitlist too)

Hey all, I suppose many of you are in my position. Just graduated last Saturday, and I was wondering if I have to forward a final transcript and/or copy of my degree to the office of admissions because of the "satisfactory completion" of undergrad clause on our acceptance? Anybody know about this?

Davyboy527 said:
Hey all, I suppose many of you are in my position. Just graduated last Saturday, and I was wondering if I have to forward a final transcript and/or copy of my degree to the office of admissions because of the "satisfactory completion" of undergrad clause on our acceptance? Anybody know about this?

I forwarded my final transcript to the admissions office, I believe this is necessary to ensure your seat for the fall.

transcript & deposit sent in... is there anything else we need to do at this time before the matriculation?

i checked all my papers for any other necessary documentations or deadlines, and the two seem to be it.

if there's anything else, please let us know.

did anyone receive the intend to matriculate form yet? i'll be back home in a week!

thanks guys.

hi everyone....

can't believe you guys have final transcripts already when we still have like...3 more weeks of school! stooopid quarter system. lol.

i was wondering how you guys plan on finding housing/roommates at Pitt? how long do you think it will take to find housing in Pittsburgh? i'm moving from cali...so...i have no clue. >_<

i'm excited about moving though. looking forward to meeting you guys!

Does anyone know when we'll get login/pw info for the Zone? Are there any housing forums on the website? I'm moving from Cali, too, and would like to sublet from older students so I don't have to fly all the way to Pittsburgh to find housing, but I don't know where to start... How are you all going about finding a place to live?

cheers,
brassai

brassai said:
Does anyone know when we'll get login/pw info for the Zone? Are there any housing forums on the website? I'm moving from Cali, too, and would like to sublet from older students so I don't have to fly all the way to Pittsburgh to find housing, but I don't know where to start... How are you all going about finding a place to live?

cheers,
brassai

Have you guys gotten your [email protected] email addresses yet? If so, that's the login/pw for the Zone. (just lastname.firstname and pw)

The "public" Zone is always available at http://www.zone.medschool.pitt.edu. (The "www" in front is the difference.)

There's not too much you can do on the Zone just yet. Hopefully in the next few days we'll put up your class site and you'll be able to use that messageboard to get together, find roommates/housing, etc.

Economist said:
Have you guys gotten your [email protected] email addresses yet? If so, that's the login/pw for the Zone. (just lastname.firstname and pw)

The "public" Zone is always available at http://www.zone.medschool.pitt.edu. (The "www" in front is the difference.)

There's not too much you can do on the Zone just yet. Hopefully in the next few days we'll put up your class site and you'll be able to use that messageboard to get together, find roommates/housing, etc.

Hey Economist,

How did you get your [email protected][/email] email address and password? Did they mail it to you? Also does anyone know if that's the password to get on the housing/roomate page? How are you guys finding apartments?