University of Southern California Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey KMARIE, do you know for sure that it takes 2-3 days to send out emails or is it speculation?

Members don't see this ad.

hey KMARIE, do you know for sure that it takes 2-3 days to send out emails or is it speculation?

hey no i dont know for sure but i am assuming because thats how long it took to send AC emails out to everyone.

I did not get the email too..but what is that email about?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend who put a deposit down but will be giving up her seat. So hang in there everyone!

Did everyone get the expression of interest e-mail?

Hey all,
I'm currently a P1 student at USC (technically, P2 in less than a week!)

Just wanted to let you know not to give up. I know a lot of people in our class that didn't get accepted until mid-late may, and a few who didn't hear till even later than that.

Also, I got an email saying that 183 people have been accepted for c/o 2015. this number is lower than the acceptance for 2014 because the fire marshall came near the end of fall semester and made them take out the extra seats they added. 469 people were interviewed. more people will continue to be accepted as seats become available.

also, since some people had questions about the ac list, i'll tell you what Peter Dean told me last year. Its pretty much a computer system where you are ranked based on certain aspects of your application. you aren't given a number because the order is changing far too frequently to keep everyone updated. your order on the list can be changed as they get more information. ie I was place on a/c after my Jan interview, but I still had like 4 prereqs left so they asked me to keep them updated on my progress and send in transcripts every time i finished a class. winter quarter finished in late march..takes 2 weeks to finalize grades...so they received my transcripts around late april...and i got my acceptance letter sometime in the first half of may.

By this time I was already thinking about reapplying since I had only applied to 4 schools (and USC was the only one I really wanted to go to). So I spoke to Peter about my chances and he said that the list tends to move a lot in the middle of may. He said if I haven't heard anything by the end of June, that I should reapply. Luckily, it didn't come to that (all that stress was horrible, I wasn't looking forward to going through it again).

But since the economy still sucks, it's getting harder and harder to get into grad school. people who have been working for several years have been falling back on education due to these tough times, so competition is fierce since experience in a pharmacy setting is a big factor.
if you don't make it in anywhere this year, don't give up! I'd highly recommend taking the pharm tech licensing exam and trying to find a place to work/volunteer. Trust me, it will help you in the long run.

lastly, dont be discouraged by the number of people you hear about accepting/rejecting...i saw that someone was upset because "only 2 people have declined" trust me, this is not the case. there are a lot of people who don't even know about this site, and there are just as many that do, but dont register/ post anything.

you all seem very motivated, and I wish you the best of luck!

To everyone who's having trouble saving the filled Expression of Interest PDF...

#1. Download PrimoPDF at http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx The free version will do.

#2. Open up the Expression of Interest PDF with Adobe and fill out the data fields.

#3. Click on Print button or File > Print

#4. In the "Print" window, choose PrimoPDF for Printer Name, the box at the very top of the window.

#5. When the "Primo PDF by Nitro PDF Software" window comes up, click "Create PDF" button at the bottom and save file.

Then you're done! You will have a saved PDF version of the Expression of Interest form with all of your data. :) !!

By the way, I got my form in the e-mail today, so I guess USC is sending these out to AC people in batches.

the form wants our signature..

How can we sign it if we're filling out the form online? :confused:

the form wants our signature..

How can we sign it if we're filling out the form online? :confused:

After you have created your filled out Expression of Interest PDF...
(Leave the signature space blank if you want to do it this way of course..:D)

#1. Using MS Paint, reduce the size of the white drawing space by dragging inward on the lower right-hand corner.

#2. Draw your signature and save.

#3. On the NitroPDF reader (there's an option to download NitroPDF when installing PrimoPDF), there's an option called "Stamp Signature." The button is on the "Tasks" tab. Click it and choose "Create New Signature."

#4. In the "Signature Properties" window, click the "Browse" button on the "File" line and select your saved signature. Click save.

#5. Drag the signature around to where you want it and resize it if necessary. Double click on signature to finish.

I just printed the form, filled it out, scanned it, and e-mailed it as an attachment to the admissions office. They said it was fine :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just printed the form, filled it out, scanned it, and e-mailed it as an attachment to the admissions office. They said it was fine :thumbup:

I'm currently on vacation, until mid-June, with no access to a free scanner. :D

I just received an acceptance yesterday after being waitlisted from the March interview. Looks like people are declining and more acceptances are rolling out. Deposit is due (postmarked) by May 16, so expect to see more acceptances to come out after? Good luck guys!

I just received an acceptance yesterday after being waitlisted from the March interview. Looks like people are declining and more acceptances are rolling out. Deposit is due (postmarked) by May 16, so expect to see more acceptances to come out after? Good luck guys!

Congrats! :highfive:

Wow. Congrats. Had you already submitted your Letter of Interest? Did you do anything or communicated with the Admissions Office at all since being placed on Active Consideration? How did you find out? Snail Mail? Email? Thx.

I'm about to send my letter of interest. I emailed Granderson to see what my chances were since I had been accepted to another program. He said it was not ranked and I didn't get much reassurance. Other than that, I didn't really do anything. I didn't expect to get in but it came through snail mail. Hope that helps!

I'm about to send my letter of interest. I emailed Granderson to see what my chances were since I had been accepted to another program. He said it was not ranked and I didn't get much reassurance. Other than that, I didn't really do anything. I didn't expect to get in but it came through snail mail. Hope that helps!

Wait, so your still going to send in your letter of interest? Even though you've already been accepted? Thats awesome man. Congrats.

Oh, sorry. Intent to enroll. And thank you!

Anyone else hear anything from Admissions???

Anyone else hear anything from Admissions???

Negative. Talked to Jim yesterday, he said there has not been any movement yet from the AC list. Not sure how (rchiem) got so lucky. Very strange. I guess we just gotta keep waiting. Deposit is due on the 16th, so I guess we should see some more movement after that. :xf::xf:

Negative. Talked to Jim yesterday, he said there has not been any movement yet from the AC list. Not sure how (rchiem) got so lucky. Very strange. I guess we just gotta keep waiting. Deposit is due on the 16th, so I guess we should see some more movement after that. :xf::xf:

Yea I called the office and the class is full as of right now...I just hope those people that plan on not attending call and let admissions know and not wait until last minute to do so... :xf::xf::xf:

Has anyone received their financial aid summaries yet?

Has anyone received their financial aid summaries yet?

I haven't yet either. Hopefully we'll get something soon so we know how much we need to steal from our piggy banks.

I did get some graduate admissions packet today though. Anyone thinking of going to the general Graduate Student Orientation on Aug 15th?

hang in there guys there is still hope!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Just got my fin aid award info. Grad plus loans here I come.....sigh

did anyone get the email about usc email activation yet?

Someone will be hearing something soon from AC list. I hope that's me!!

Didnt interview at USC but just wanted to post this to give you guys on AC some hope. There is movement going on. My friend was just accepted from the AC list.

I wish everyone on the AC list the best of luck :thumbup:

Didnt interview at USC but just wanted to post this to give you guys on AC some hope. There is movement going on. My friend was just accepted from the AC list.

I wish everyone on the AC list the best of luck :thumbup:

Congrats to your friend.. did your friend hear from them today?

so far someone has been accepted the past 3 fridays... it seems like fridays are the lucky day..:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Hey is anyone here a re-applicant? I am planning to reapply for the next cycle but I not sure what to do to make my app stronger. Should I retake some courses (that I did ok in) to make my GPA higher or more volunteers?

Please give me some advices! thankyou!!

Hey is anyone here a re-applicant? I am planning to reapply for the next cycle but I not sure what to do to make my app stronger. Should I retake some courses (that I did ok in) to make my GPA higher or more volunteers?

I am a re-app myself but my advise would probably do you no good since i am on the AC list... some one who has applied last year and has been accepted this year should give you the information you need.

did you re-write your personal statements and get new letters of recommendation or did you use your old ones?

I am a re-app myself but my advise would probably do you no good since i am on the AC list... some one who has applied last year and has been accepted this year should give you the information you need.

Just a FYI. The AC moved up until orientation. A couple people left for other schools after being accepted off other waiting lists (i.e. UCSF).

I'm not sure how much the AC moves but I know of at least 5 people that were accepted in the beginning of July during the last admission cycle.

As for readmission, I'm not sure about that. I think Farmacyst(?) or someone like that reapplied and was admitted to USC. He might have advice for you.

Can any of you who are already admitted tell me when USC requires the tuition payment for the fall semester?

Thanks!

Can any of you who are already admitted tell me when USC requires the tuition payment for the fall semester?

Thanks!

They haven't given us a deadline. But from my understanding, you need to make your first payment before school starts.

Does anyone know what the schedule is like this coming year? I hear 8-12pm, but subject to change. Anyone have access to a calendar of events like the P3 student had during the last interview session? Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know what the schedule is like this coming year? I hear 8-12pm, but subject to change. Anyone have access to a calendar of events like the P3 student had during the last interview session? Thanks in advance!

8am-12pm for P1

What kind of calendar of events are you looking for?

I'm a re-applicant; I didn't get in last year but was accepted this time around. For me personally, I was still in school when I applied the first time, and was pretty busy with schoolwork and everything while doing the application, writing the personal statement, getting LOR's, etc. So this time around (after I've graduated), I spent a lot more time on polishing my application and making sure everything I want to have represented, was represented correctly. At the same time I had other people read my personal statement and give me feedback (I didn't want people to the first time...but I got over myself pretty quickly after not getting in :p). I re-wrote everything; from my personal statement to my supplementals. I also got everything (PharmCAS, supplementals) in earlier.

It may sound a little silly to not have done this the first time, but I was a bit surprised at how much time the whole process took and how much of a mental drain it was as well. I did take an extra pre-req course I needed and was thinking about re-taking some classes I did poorly in, but I only have a couple C's and didn't feel it was worth it. But I don't think it's a bad thing at all to re-take those classes you didn't do quite as well in if you think you can do better. Remember, if you have all that extra time (like I did!), don't rest; do something, whether it is volunteering or re-taking classes.

My GPA and EC's were largely unchanged, while most of my efforts went into the application itself, my LORs, and what not. It also helped to have a year of experience in interviews and with the whole process under my belt. It worked for me because I went from rejection (no interview) last year to early interview and eventual acceptance.

I would say more, but I have to run, and I think I'm kind of rambling; but feel free to PM me for more details or advice or anything; I'm always willing to help!

I'm a re-applicant; I didn't get in last year but was accepted this time around. For me personally, I was still in school when I applied the first time, and was pretty busy with schoolwork and everything while doing the application, writing the personal statement, getting LOR's, etc. So this time around (after I've graduated), I spent a lot more time on polishing my application and making sure everything I want to have represented, was represented correctly. At the same time I had other people read my personal statement and give me feedback (I didn't want people to the first time...but I got over myself pretty quickly after not getting in :p). I re-wrote everything; from my personal statement to my supplementals. I also got everything (PharmCAS, supplementals) in earlier.

It may sound a little silly to not have done this the first time, but I was a bit surprised at how much time the whole process took and how much of a mental drain it was as well. I did take an extra pre-req course I needed and was thinking about re-taking some classes I did poorly in, but I only have a couple C's and didn't feel it was worth it. But I don't think it's a bad thing at all to re-take those classes you didn't do quite as well in if you think you can do better. Remember, if you have all that extra time (like I did!), don't rest; do something, whether it is volunteering or re-taking classes.

My GPA and EC's were largely unchanged, while most of my efforts went into the application itself, my LORs, and what not. It also helped to have a year of experience in interviews and with the whole process under my belt. It worked for me because I went from rejection (no interview) last year to early interview and eventual acceptance.

I would say more, but I have to run, and I think I'm kind of rambling; but feel free to PM me for more details or advice or anything; I'm always willing to help!

Thank you so much! I will keep your advices in mind! I have one more question ask you. For the second time around, did you submit one new letter of Rec or all of them were different from the first time?

Thank you so much! I will keep your advices in mind! I have one more question ask you. For the second time around, did you submit one new letter of Rec or all of them were different from the first time?

I'm blanking on whether USC wanted just one new one or submitting all of them again, but for the most part I had the same recommenders anyway because I applied to some new schools, but I did have one new one.

has anyone called recently to see how things look for those on the wait list? i'm assuming it's not too good... :(