University of St. Augustine Spring 2014 Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
honestly, i didn't know what to think. i wouldn't say i wasn't motivated to prepare b/c i put a lot of time in doing so, but at the same time, when you hear that your chances are good if you've been offered an interview and then pretty much the first thing you hear from your tour guide is that you're pretty much already in if you have an interview, you start looking at signs that kind of point to that. for me, that included the interview being relatively informal in terms of my interviewer explicitly saying they knew nothing about myself and the other applicant and then also proceeding not to take much note of anything we said (in a physical / literal sense). having talked about quite a lot during the interview & then also considering they were interviewing 2 people at once, you'd think it might be be difficult to remember all the mannerisms / good answers / bad answers, etc. that you might expect an interviewer to want to make note of. were they just trying to figure out if we were psycho or what? just makes me wonder how much of the interview really counted for anything...

at the same time, though, i can't imagine all the people there today being accepted. i'd guess there were close to 100 people there today, no? we can't possibly all be in with a typical class being 60-70 for PT (OT class is smaller, but i don't think it's 30 people, is it?)....

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, i didn't know what to think. i wouldn't say i wasn't motivated to prepare b/c i put a lot of time in doing so, but at the same time, when you hear that your chances are good if you've been offered an interview and then pretty much the first thing you hear from your tour guide is that you're pretty much already in if you have an interview, you start looking at signs that kind of point to that. for me, that included the interview being relatively informal in terms of my interviewer explicitly saying they knew nothing about myself and the other applicant and then also proceeding not to take much note of anything we said (in a physical / literal sense). having talked about quite a lot during the interview & then also considering they were interviewing 2 people at once, you'd think it might be be difficult to remember all the mannerisms / good answers / bad answers, etc. that you might expect an interviewer to want to make note of. were they just trying to figure out if we were psycho or what? just makes me wonder how much of the interview really counted for anything...

at the same time, though, i can't imagine all the people there today being accepted. i'd guess there were close to 100 people there today, no? we can't possibly all be in with a typical class being 60-70 for PT (OT class is smaller, but i don't think it's 30 people, is it?)....
liquidnite:

which campus did you interview at?

I had the same concern about my interview - the interviewer didn't write anything down!

Also, when I asked how many people were at the Florida interview, they said about 130. If the cohort size is expected to be around 80, it's impossible that everyone there was "basically already in", making the tour guides statement rather misleading.

There has to be a way to weed out some of the students there who didn't seem prepared for this program. I sat with two other candidates at my interview, and you could tell one of the three just didn't seem prepared for this type of program. I just hope my interviewer was able to fill out our forms properly following the interview. He kinda mentioned that after the interview sheets get returned to the admissions committee the deciding factor usually goes back to GPA and GRE scores.

Anywho.. I guess we'll find out soon enough! 2-3 weeks of waiting?! Brutal haha

I interviewed at San Marcos yesterday. There were a lot more candidates there than I expected. Looked close to 100. My group interview only consisted of me and another girl. I feel like I did pretty well on my responses, although I think they could tell I was nervous. I tried keeping a smile on my face though :) I had two interviewers and they seemed to be writing things down during our interview. I feel like some of the questions they asked were pretty similar to each other, but worded differently. A lot of "obstacle" type questions and how you "overcame it." Overall, they were very nice and it felt more like we were all having a conversation. The essay was pretty easy to respond to. I got the question, "Why did you choose PT/OT out of all other healthcare professions? What makes it different from the others?"

I'm not sure how they're gonna weed out candidates, but maybe the ones they don't choose for January will be accepted for the next class? This waiting game sucks! Hopefully they'll notify us closer to 2 rather than 3 weeks! I've heard of people being called after a week! Good luck everyone!

Anyone else interview at San Marcos?

Members don't see this ad :)
my interview was in San Marcos. I thought it went well! The interviewers were very personable and even cracked a few jokes, so we could really relax. I was lucky because I heard there were a couple interviewers that were more stern. I did some research on here on potential questions, which was great because I wasn't surprised at all during my interview. Judging by the numbers (what, 130 maybe?) it seems like most of us will get in. I don't think all of us because they accept about 50 for the PT program. I'm not sure how many OTs were there nor do I know how many OTs they accept, so it's difficult to say.

What were everyone's thoughts on having no choice in the internship? I was surprised to learn that we will probably have to leave California. It will be a learning experience, but I just hope I don't get sent somewhere cold...

i was at san marcos campus

the no choice on the clinicals surprised me as well

my essay question was similar: why did you choose a career in PT -- be sure to list individuals who were influential on your decision or something along those lines.

Hmm so far I'm the only one from Florida lol

I did find that we had no choice on clinicals surprising. I've never lived anywhere except Florida, so being sent out of state is kind of a scary idea but definitely a learning experience as well.

I also had the essay question of why I chose to pursue PT and to list individuals who were influential in my decision.

i hadn't realized until you asked, rebecca, that the FL interviews were at the same time as the CA ones. i had assumed all 3 were differently scheduled b/c i remember reading on these forums that the TX ones seem to come later, and i guess i just assumed that indicated that the three campuses ran on diff schedules/time tables.

i think what bothers me about the computerized assignments of clinicals is not so much the issue of going to a foreign place.. i actually traveled a lot as a kid, and it might be refreshing to travel again. of course, it'd also be a terrific learning experience. rather, i think what bothers the most is the potential financial burden & discrepancy that this could place on a student. for instance, coming from california, i don't mind going out of state for a clinical, but if i were given the option to travel all the way to NY vs, say, TX, I would choose TX for sure. the cost of living, etc. is much lower there. iono... just my $0.02.

I was at FL as well. I thought the no choice in clinicals was surprising as well. My essay was something along the lines of what values I thought therapists should possess and to list examples that I observed. Hope we find out something soon! My tour guides said they both heard within a week!

My interview was at San Marcos. The interview itself was pretty laid back and they two interviewers certainly made a point for us all to relax. It was somewhat hard since there were three of s candidates, to answer the same questions. The times I was last to answer I constantly attempted to make my answer somewhat different from the other interviewers others it just sounds like we all studied for it together and had the same answers. I certainly wished that I would have been more relaxed and somewhat more eloquent but honestly, I don't understand how they are going to weed out. At least in my group it seemed like everyone did their homework on the potential questions.

The lack of choice for internships, I will say it. BS! the story they were telling us in the beginning of the day that this is how its done everywhere and that USA is just trying to do what other schools do is just crap. Both my sister and brother attended Arcadia University ( they are ranked 14th Nationally) (USA is ranked about 120) Both of my siblings requested up to 5 programs and were assigned one of the five they picked them selves. And yes Arcadia has contracts all over the country as well. So i have a really hard time buying this.

The lack of choice for internships, I will say it. BS! the story they were telling us in the beginning of the day that this is how its done everywhere and that USA is just trying to do what other schools do is just crap. Both my sister and brother attended Arcadia University ( they are ranked 14th Nationally) (USA is ranked about 120) Both of my siblings requested up to 5 programs and were assigned one of the five they picked them selves. And yes Arcadia has contracts all over the country as well. So i have a really hard time buying this.

yeah, i'm not sure why she said that during the welcome presentation.. when i asked during the interview for clarification / confirmation regarding the clinical assignment being completely random for institutions nationwide (b/c i didn't believe it), the prof i interviewed with definitely disagreed with that --- said it is only our univ.

I have a friend who just finished her 5th term and she said that they stopped
giving students preference for top 10 clinical sites starting her class. I wonder why that is. Luckily she was placed not too far from San Marcos for her first rotation, but I heard that others were placed all over the US.

Until last year DPT students got to choose up to 10 preferred sites for their clinical rotations. Now we only one preferred site, and most of the time we don't get it. So we could go anywhere. However, most students go somewhere in the Southeast.

I don't think it's a big deal. Your first clinical rotation must be in a sub-acute or acute setting, and your second has to be either in a pediatric or neurological setting. Each clinical rotation is eight weeks. It's not a vacation! You're there to learn. Don't get so focused on the location.

On a positive note, the department of clinical education is informing us much sooner where we are placed.

Kevin

Until last year DPT students got to choose up to 10 preferred sites for their clinical rotations. Now we only one preferred site, and most of the time we don't get it. So we could go anywhere. However, most students go somewhere in the Southeast.

I don't think it's a big deal. Your first clinical rotation must be in a sub-acute or acute setting, and your second has to be either in a pediatric or neurological setting. Each clinical rotation is eight weeks. It's not a vacation! You're there to learn. Don't get so focused on the location.

On a positive note, the department of clinical education is informing us much sooner where we are placed.

Kevin

I agree with you Kevin. I dont know why people are making it such a big deal. I interviewed at the Florida campus and I loved everything about the school. With all that they have to offer, the last thing I'm worried about is clinical locations. I'm sure the list of sites that they provide are comprised of locations that they have been working with for awhile and are trusted places that you will gain plenty of knowledge from.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you Kevin. I dont know why people are making it such a big deal. I interviewed at the Florida campus and I loved everything about the school. With all that they have to offer, the last thing I'm worried about is clinical locations. I'm sure the list of sites that they provide are comprised of locations that they have been working with for awhile and are trusted places that you will gain plenty of knowledge from.

For me it's not the location itself that's the concern, it's the fact that we would have to pay our own way to get there and live there for 8 weeks if its out of state or somewhere in Northern California. I'm sure any site a student is placed in will be a wonderful learning experience, but it would just be more of a financial concern for some of us I assume.

True. You make a great point as far as the financial concern. I guess my way of thinking is, University of Saint Augustine is relatively shorter than most programs (2.4 years while most take a full 3 years to complete). So basically the expenses that you'd be paying at another school such as another 1-2 terms of tuition equals the amount you'll spend on living costs during internships at U of St Augustine.

For me it's not the location itself that's the concern, it's the fact that we would have to pay our own way to get there and live there for 8 weeks if its out of state or somewhere in Northern California. I'm sure any site a student is placed in will be a wonderful learning experience, but it would just be more of a financial concern for some of us I assume.

It's a financial hardship for everyone and you just have to include that in your budget. The only way to avoid this would be finish all your classwork, then start a six-month clinical rotation. Of course, storage would then be a problem. Many people find cheap housing near their clinic.

Kevin

You know guys, I don't think anyone is arguing the value of these internships, so taking the approach where you say this isn't a vacation boarders a little on pomposity. Honestly you are not the only ones who take your education "so" seriously. I think that most of us, if we are at this point in the process, do as well.
I believe the point that it is a financial strain is quite valid especially for people that are traveling across country to be part of the program, settle in the area, sign a lease, etc...., only to potentially have to go all the way back across country for 4 months and potentially having to pay for two apartments. I am sure there are plenty of people going into the program who have kids, or as in my case pets, and have to move with them half way across the country. Its one thing to do it once but to potentially have to do it 3 times in 2 years is a little much, especially given the already inflated cost of the program (San Marcos) And no, just because this program is 2.3 years does not make it cheaper than one that is 2.5 or three, since most of those are less total cost for their respective 2.5 and 3 years. I really do not think people are taking this as a "vacation" Probably it is a legitimate concern and for some a real financial barrier and consideration.

Every therapist I have worked with and known has had to travel far distances for clinicals. You may be lucky and get a site fairly close to your school, but more often than not, you will have to travel. That's part of life as a SPT. There are other ways to look at the cost of the program, like how much closer you are to being manual therapy certified than you would be at a different school. And yes, getting out 6 months earlier can make a huge difference as well since you can start getting a salary that much sooner.

PT school is also about sacrifice.

Every therapist I have worked with and known has had to travel far distances for clinicals. You may be lucky and get a site fairly close to your school, but more often than not, you will have to travel. That's part of life as a SPT. There are other ways to look at the cost of the program, like how much closer you are to being manual therapy certified than you would be at a different school. And yes, getting out 6 months earlier can make a huge difference as well since you can start getting a salary that much sooner.

PT school is also about sacrifice.
Now this is a well put argument HookEm, well put and well said. I can't disagree with you at all on this.
And I wont :) I just wanted to make sure that other peoples' points, arguments, etc.. weren't just brushed off or shut down. And especially not looked down on or thought of as lazy, on vacation, etc.
Thank you.

You know guys, I don't think anyone is arguing the value of these internships, so taking the approach where you say this isn't a vacation boarders a little on pomposity.

Most of the time people want to go to a particular setting because of its location or because it's a clinic/site where they would want to work. You can apply for hardship 'status' if you can prove that doing your clinical rotation at a particular setting would help your family. However, I'm not sure about the details, and I don't know how much hardship 'status' really improves your chances.

We're all in the same situation playing by the same rules. Travel is one expense that we all must incur. It's just a part of PT school.

Kevin

Most of the time people want to go to a particular setting because of its location or because it's a clinic/site where they would want to work. You can apply for hardship 'status' if you can prove that doing your clinical rotation at a particular setting would help your family. However, I'm not sure about the details, and I don't know how much hardship 'status' really improves your chances.

We're all in the same situation playing by the same rules. Travel is one expense that we all must incur. It's just a part of PT school.

Kevin
I guess all of this speculation is for not anyway considering I don't know if I am accepted yet or not. :)

Kevin has some great points: we're all in the same situation. I've thought about it for a while, and I'm not really worried about it. I'm married, so of course I would want to be close to my spouse, but I'm always open to new experiences. 8 weeks is not that long. I've lived out of the country for much longer than that, and you learn a lot about yourself. I'll just continue to hope I would be sent somewhere warm. Actually, I'll hope to get accepted first ;)

Has anyone heard back from there interviews yet if they were accepted?

Has anyone heard back from there interviews yet if they were accepted?
I interviewed for San Marcos and the time frame is 2-3 weeks. I have heard of people finding out a bit earlier than that but definitely not within a few days after the interview. However, that would be great. :)

I interviewed for San Marcos and the time frame is 2-3 weeks. I have heard of people finding out a bit earlier than that but definitely not within a few days after the interview. However, that would be great. :)

yeah, it's been mentioned on these forums that people have heard back about a week or so after the interview date, but officially they said up to 3 wks. i personally have not yet heard back... really hope to soon, though!

Has anyone heard anything back from the August 2 interview? I am hoping to hear today!

Has anyone heard anything back from the August 2 interview? I am hoping to hear today!

No, but I am definitely starting to get antsy. I know they said 3 weeks, but previous threads have mentioned a week or two after the interview. Being a week today I am really hoping they call soon

Same here! Im starting to get anxiety! Im hoping for today. If not, early next week!

I got the call from USA Florida this morning! I'M IN!! San Marcos campus! Still shaking from the excitement! they said I'd be receiving an acceptance packet today or by next week :)))))))

I got the call from USA Florida this morning! I'M IN!! San Marcos campus! Still shaking from the excitement! they said I'd be receiving an acceptance packet today or by next week :)))))))
Oh wow! That is awesome and congratulations!! Now I am nervous :)

I just got the call too!
San Marcos campus!

Have they only made calls for San Marco students?

I haven't got called yet, I am San Marcos. I am hoping this is because they are going alphabetical, because I am at the end.

I'm hoping not because I'm D! My friend applied to Florida and got a waitlist email. I didn't get that so I'm still hoping for a call! I also heard they don't call everyone on the same day

I haven't got called yet, I am San Marcos. I am hoping this is because they are going alphabetical, because I am at the end.
I hope you are right. I am also right at the end. Does anyone know if they call everyone for a particular campus all in one day or is spread over a few?

I'm hoping not because I'm D! My friend applied to Florida and got a waitlist email. I didn't get that so I'm still hoping for a call! I also heard they don't call everyone on the same day

She got a wait list email today?

I got a waitlist email today. My friend got a call that he got in. This is for San Marcos.

This is just adding to the stress. Does anyone have a knowledge about being waitlisted? Anything to calm the nerves would be great! Congrats to all that get in.

Has anyone else heard a decision from the Florida campus? Sounds like it is all from the California campus!

Just got the call 15 minutes ago for San Marcos......I can breathe now..:D

I applied to Florida and haven't heard anything yet. I hope they don't make us wait till next week!

I heard from Florida at 3:30 EST! I hope you all get in!

I was accepted to the Florida campus a few minutes ago too. Best wishes to everyone!

To those who were accepted: Does this mean we just missed the fasfa deadline? I know they are going to send us information packets, but this was the first thing I thought of!

Just checked my student portal! I've been accepted! Congrats to all of you who were accepted! I'll see you in January!