University of Sydney c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This might be kind of a weird question... but does anyone know how competitive it is to get accepted? Or how they would view a re-applicant who turned down their 1st offer? I’m wondering because I applied to 8 schools, already gotten 1 rejection and 1 interview and now 1 acceptance, but I’m waiting to hear anything from 5 others. I’m afraid to turn down Sydney and get rejected from 6 more schools, but I’m also hoping that this acceptance won’t be the only one and I don’t know how to make sense of how competitive my applicant is. If I turn it down and DO get a sweep of rejections, if I apply again next year will I get dinged for turning down this offer?
I’ve lived in Australia before, and I know I like it there. But it is SO SOON and SO FAR and the thought of moving to Sydney by February terrifies me. But the thought of turning down my only acceptance also terrifies me...

I do not know any statistics on that. I would think they would evaluate you the same way. My honest opinion and many vets I have talked to is if you are accepted go. It will never be the perfect time. It is fast and scary and if you want it bad enough you will go at all costs. This is a huge leap of faith for me but I know that it is meant to be.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats everyone!!! I was accepted as well. Domestic is a different timeline when I saw it originally.
The deposit is 31k AUD.
I will probably be accepting. I will hear from one other school this week then make my decision.

I am from California!
Hey congrats on the acceptance, ill be applying to sydney for the next admission cycle. Do you think I could ask you around next year sometime about how you like it if you end up going?

Still no word here...I'm unsure if that's because domestic applications are being processed on a different timeline, or because I should anticipate a rejection haha. Regardless, congrats to all who have heard back so far!!
In their email they said we have until November 26th to accept. Perhaps they’ll send out domestic offers after this date.

Members don't see this ad :)
In their email they said we have until November 26th to accept. Perhaps they’ll send out domestic offers after this date.

At this point I feel like the semester will start before I find out :laugh: But that makes sense to me, I hope that's the case! I did email them to try to find out more, just waiting on a response.

Trying to log in to the portal but was only given a ID and no password. I try to “retrieve password” but it won’t allow me. Anyone else having this issue that applied via VMCAS?

Trying to log in to the portal but was only given a ID and no password. I try to “retrieve password” but it won’t allow me. Anyone else having this issue that applied via VMCAS?

I did “retrieve my password” and it worked for me.

Anyone going to attend? I do not know where to live. I have to choose between sydney and ross.

Anyone going to attend? I do not know where to live. I have to choose between sydney and ross.
Ross would be cheaper overall so I would go there. I also know people who go/have gone there and there is nothing wrong with the school. If it's accredited you have nothing to worry about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ross would be cheaper overall so I would go there. I also know people who go/have gone there and there is nothing wrong with the school. If it's accredited you have nothing to worry about.
Both programs cost about the same. I would have to do the vet prep rogram for Ross meaninging at least an extra 20 k

Hey guys, I'm currently an international student in DVM at USyd! Just noticed this thread so if you have any questions reply here or send me a message and I'd be happy to help. In regards to the deposit, if you email the international loans department (I think, will double check) then you can get it reduced to around $6000 I believe. Congrats to those who have been accepted!

Both programs cost about the same. I would have to do the vet prep rogram for Ross meaninging at least an extra 20 k
Yea but I'm also taking cost of living in australia vs in st.kitts into consideration. Look up some of the rent in Sydney and then in St. kitts to get better idea. Itll be 400-500 / month in st kits and probably around 900+ / month in sydney. Plus everything in sydney is more expensive because the minimum wage is high as well.

Yea but I'm also taking cost of living in australia vs in st.kitts into consideration. Look up some of the rent in Sydney and then in St. kitts to get better idea. Itll be 400-500 / month in st kits and probably around 900+ / month in sydney. Plus everything in sydney is more expensive because the minimum wage is high as well.
Plus flights to and from. Flight to AUS is likely much more expensive. And if you have pets. I know Australia has a long quarantine, unless they’ve changed it since family friends moved there for a job.

Plus flights to and from. Flight to AUS is likely much more expensive. And if you have pets. I know Australia has a long quarantine, unless they’ve changed it since family friends moved there for a job.

No you are right. they have SUPER strict quarantine protocols. Part of the reason I’ll likely decline is I don’t think birds are allowed at all and I have 2 parrots that I would have to re-home completely and I couldn’t bear (bare? ....idk) giving them up.
And yes, flights are super expensive and super long. Im pretty sure the only non-stops into the US are to the west coast and they are ~14-16h.
It’s definitely a trek.

No you are right. they have SUPER strict quarantine protocols. Part of the reason I’ll likely decline is I don’t think birds are allowed at all and I have 2 parrots that I would have to re-home completely and I couldn’t bear (bare? ....idk) giving them up.
And yes, flights are super expensive and super long. Im pretty sure the only non-stops into the US are to the west coast and they are ~14-16h.
It’s definitely a trek.
Flights are about the same cost from where I live and Sydney is only 2 extra hours for travel since there is no non stop flights for me to st. Kitts. I am not bringing my dog because I don’t want to separate him from his sister and it would be too much to care for a dog during vet school no matter where I go. My friend pays $1000 a month for housing so there is that for the islands.

Reactions: 1 users
Flights are about the same cost from where I live and Sydney is only 2 extra hours for travel since there is no non stop flights for me to st. Kitts. I am not bringing my dog because I don’t want to separate him from his sister and it would be too much to care for a dog during vet school no matter where I go. My friend pays $1000 a month for housing so there is that for the islands.
Im guessing its a one bedroom apartment if they're paying that much. A bunch of my friends are at Ross for vet and they dont pay more than 600 a month to live with other people. In sydney, for a one bedroom thats a solid size would probably be triple what youd pay in st kitts. I just think for anyone in North America, ross would be the better and cheaper option but its up to you. Looks like you got some decisions to make lol

Anyone accepting? My situation has changed a little bit and I am considering accepting now.

I only spent about a week in Sydney doing touristy things but was in Victoria near Melbourne for 3 months a couple years ago.

Yeah cost of living in general is higher in Oz. Our dollar is a little stronger which helps, but expect things to potentially cost a few percent more. Sydney is also considered one of, if not the most, expensive real estate market in Australia and is pricey to live in by anyone's standards.

It’s definitely a trek.

Yep, flights from the west coast go direct. To my knowledge the farthest east direct flight is Dallas to Sydney, which I have done. It's over 17 hours going, and over 15 hours returning. Quantas is great, but not a trip you'd want to make very often regardless. The time difference knocks you out too; left 10:30pm on a Thursday night and 17 hours later it was 2 days later (6am Saturday arrived to Sydney). And coming back after a 15 hour flight the local time was about 45 minutes later the same day than when I left...yeesh. For a round trip I think those tickets run $1600-$2000 depending.

And I agree, my understanding is no pets besides cats and dogs can be brought into the country. And yes, for dogs and cats even if you begin the process 6+ months in advance and can provide proof of vaccinations, rabies titers, health certificates, etc and then wait the 180 day period, the animal will still have to be quarantined in Australia for at least 10 days upon arrival. Expect to pay several thousand dollars when the process is all said and done; permit and quarantine fees alone will likely be $1000-$2000.

Do you know when you should hear back from RVC? I know I saw a bit ago that you interviewed there.
Not until way beyond my deadline to tell Sydney. Expected to hear Mid January. Originally had to let Sydney know by the 26th of Nov. but requested an extension so I have until the 3rd of December now.

Booooo
When would you have to move out to Australia? Idk when in feb they actually start
It starts February 18th! I would likely move end of January/early February.
My dilemma is that my fiancé has a job opening there now and I don’t know how often it’ll align again like that for us. It’s obviously expensive, but when does one get to live in a different country like that?? Luckily, my fiancé will have an income so I won’t have to worry about cost of living tacking on to my debt.
I have a wedding in April I would have to reschedule (almost a relief there lol).
Also moving my 2 dogs seems like it’ll be a headache.
Another pro/con is that I leave my current job earlier than anticipated. Which is good because I truly hate it, but bad because there goes 6 months of saving money.
Oh the dilemma...

It starts February 18th! I would likely move end of January/early February.
My dilemma is that my fiancé has a job opening there now and I don’t know how often it’ll align again like that for us. It’s obviously expensive, but when does one get to live in a different country like that?? Luckily, my fiancé will have an income so I won’t have to worry about cost of living tacking on to my debt.
I have a wedding in April I would have to reschedule (almost a relief there lol).
Also moving my 2 dogs seems like it’ll be a headache.
Another pro/con is that I leave my current job earlier than anticipated. Which is good because I truly hate it, but bad because there goes 6 months of saving money.
Oh the dilemma...

I say if your fiancée will have an income and the timing works relatively well... DO IT! Sydney is an AMAZING city and I loved the time I spent there.
Moving your dogs will 10000% be an expensive headache.
Would your parents or in-laws be willing to take them for 4 years?

I say if your fiancée will have an income and the timing works relatively well... DO IT! Sydney is an AMAZING city and I loved the time I spent there.
Moving your dogs will 10000% be an expensive headache.
Would your parents or in-laws be willing to take them for 4 years?
All the doctors I work with urge me to move as well! I’ve never been but it has been on the list for sure.
That’s a good question, I didn’t really consider that option. I suppose I could ask but it would break my heart especially because one dog is 8 years old and it may be goodbye forever.

All the doctors I work with urge me to move as well! I’ve never been but it has been on the list for sure.
That’s a good question, I didn’t really consider that option. I suppose I could ask but it would break my heart especially because one dog is 8 years old and it may be goodbye forever.

I am most likely going to accept. I just have to think when will I ever get this opportunity again. it has been my dream to live in Australia for a bit and after talking to multiple students I really want to go. I am going to the info night on the 30th to make sure then I will make my final decision!

I am most likely going to accept. I just have to think when will I ever get this opportunity again. it has been my dream to live in Australia for a bit and after talking to multiple students I really want to go. I am going to the info night on the 30th to make sure then I will make my final decision!
Exactly..now is the time to explore beyond the comfort zone. I just sent an email to accept my conditional offer because my fiancé just received a firm job offer! I’m potentially looking for roommates to ease the rent cost. If you end up accepting and want a roommate then hit me up!:)

Reactions: 3 users
Exactly..now is the time to explore beyond the comfort zone. I just sent an email to accept my conditional offer because my fiancé just received a firm job offer! I’m potentially looking for roommates to ease the rent cost. If you end up accepting and want a roommate then hit me up!:)
Oh my gosh congrats, that's so exciting! :soexcited:

Does anyone know how much of the $32000 that’s due 12/3 is refundable?

Just got rejected from Edinburgh and I’m starting to freak out and would like to maybe secure a spot in case I don’t get in anywhere else, but if I do get in somewhere else, I want to know I can get most of that back. I can’t find it in my offer letter how much of that is non-refundable

Does anyone know how much of the $32000 that’s due 12/3 is refundable?

Just got rejected from Edinburgh and I’m starting to freak out and would like to maybe secure a spot in case I don’t get in anywhere else, but if I do get in somewhere else, I want to know I can get most of that back. I can’t find it in my offer letter how much of that is non-refundable
I’m not exactly sure by per some posts a few years ago, you can send an email to do a lesser deposit. I think the thread was c/o 2020 or 2021? It allows you to do 5% deposit instead of 50%.

I’m not exactly sure by per some posts a few years ago, you can send an email to do a lesser deposit. I think the thread was c/o 2020 or 2021? It allows you to do 5% deposit instead of 50%.

you can get the deposit reduced to 3200 AUD which is about 2400 USD depending on the exchange rate that day. That much is non refundable of the total.

I contacted them, and they told me since I'm using US federal loans, that all I had to pay was 3200AUD.

Anyone know how often someone doesn’t receive an unconditional offer after meeting conditional offer because class limit is already reached?

Anyone know how often someone doesn’t receive an unconditional offer after meeting conditional offer because class limit is already reached?
I would think that you would have a spot reserved in the class when they gave the conditional offer, but if you don’t meet the conditional requirements that they could take it back.

I would think that you would have a spot reserved in the class when they gave the conditional offer, but if you don’t meet the conditional requirements that they could take it back.
Thanks for the response! I got clarification from the admission team just now. I have a seat secured since I accepted my conditional offer. It was just confusing because their conditional offer said conditons must be met and unconditional offer must be issued before places are filled.

Hey guys has anyone accepted and paid via western union. I’m having issues running my card. Keeps telling me an error. Not sure? I’ve contacted them and my bank! Help!!!

Hey everyone, anyone who has already accepted....have you guys started your visa applications yet, kind of ridiculous how much they require.

Hey everyone, anyone who has already accepted....have you guys started your visa applications yet, kind of ridiculous how much they require.
yea the visa is intense! I submitted on Dec 5th and still have not heard back yet.... but Jan 23rd is the 48 processing day for me so it will be weeks before im there hahahaha

I still haven't submitted mine, I still have a dr's appt to go to on the 19th, it was the earliest I could get, and the closest and about 800 miles away :(

I still haven't submitted mine, I still have a dr's appt to go to on the 19th, it was the earliest I could get, and the closest and about 800 miles away :(
Tell me more about this doctor’s appointment?? I haven’t received my unconditional offer yet/visa information.

You have to use an approved doctor from the list, from the AU immigration site. If you haven't received your offer yet, you should probably contact them, It takes a long time to get this stuff done, and the visa can take up to 60 days.

You have to use an approved doctor from the list, from the AU immigration site. If you haven't received your offer yet, you should probably contact them, It takes a long time to get this stuff done, and the visa can take up to 60 days.
Well I received my conditional offer. I won’t get my unconditional offer until I reach my conditions. They said the deadline to do so is January 8th. I just have to send my final transcripts which aren’t available to me yet.

Wait, you're telling me you need to see a doctor that australia approves of? haha thats kind of crazy especially if they dont approve one near you. Where do you find that list?

wait you didn't submit your visa but you are doing an exam?