University of Sydney c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrinkWater95

Sydney c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is applying? I haven’t heard anything yet but the website says offers are extended October 14th! Have anyone received an email confirming arrival of application?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I haven’t received anything from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t received anything from them.

Have you made an account through their portal? I saw in previous threads that people heard about acceptance via the portal but not email. I’m not sure if these were for non-VMCAS applicants though. I couldn’t figure out how to make an account via their annoying website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you made an account through their portal? I saw in previous threads that people heard about acceptance via the portal but not email. I’m not sure if these were for non-VMCAS applicants though. I couldn’t figure out how to make an account via their annoying website.

Uhh I think so maybe. I emailed them to ask about GRE scores and got a link to set up an account to see the response so I think it is the same portal (The wording made it seem like that was now my student portal account). I’ll double check that now...

Edit: ok so I just logged on and I have nothing on there except my initial inquiry about GRE scores. No acknowledgement that my app was received or anything either.
I’m not sure how you would set up an account without an email from them though bc they sent me an ID number in response to my inquiry.

Uhh I think so maybe. I emailed them to ask about GRE scores and got a link to set up an account to see the response so I think it is the same portal (The wording made it seem like that was now my student portal account). I’ll double check that now...

Edit: ok so I just logged on and I have nothing on there except my initial inquiry about GRE scores. No acknowledgement that my app was received or anything either.
I’m not sure how you would set up an account without an email from them though bc they sent me an ID number in response to my inquiry.

Thanks for looking into that. I guess I’ll just have to email them as well. If I’m not mistaken, they didn’t require GRE, did they?

Thanks for looking into that. I guess I’ll just have to email them as well. If I’m not mistaken, they didn’t require GRE, did they?

No they didn’t. I just couldn’t find that clearly stated anywhere and wanted to make sure.

The only email I've gotten from them was one last night that asked for further documentation of the fact that I'm currently enrolled in Biochemistry. Nothing on my portal either! Though I did apply domestic because of my dual citizenship, even though I've lived in the US for a long time, so I wonder if that timeline is any different than the international one.

Do any of you guys feel like it's hard to get a handle on what going to school there is actually like? There are so few resources online and I really want to talk to someone that is going there. Otherwise I feel like it will be impossible to decide to go there before I even hear back from the US schools I applied to! o_O How are you all going to deal with that decision if you've also applied to US schools?

The only email I've gotten from them was one last night that asked for further documentation of the fact that I'm currently enrolled in Biochemistry. Nothing on my portal either! Though I did apply domestic because of my dual citizenship, even though I've lived in the US for a long time, so I wonder if that timeline is any different than the international one.

Do any of you guys feel like it's hard to get a handle on what going to school there is actually like? There are so few resources online and I really want to talk to someone that is going there. Otherwise I feel like it will be impossible to decide to go there before I even hear back from the US schools I applied to! o_O How are you all going to deal with that decision if you've also applied to US schools?
Hi! I’m in the same boat as you..I’m having trouble really grasping what the school is like do I would love to hear other people’s point of view! From what I gather, if you’re still taking prerequisites and they want you, they’ll extend a conditional offer and proof of graduation need to get to them by January..thus, I think we could technically decline up until then? I’m a little fuzzy on the details. I hear the deposit is enormous like 30k but there are options to do a lesser deposit. I think you can accept then later decline if you get into a US school but there are some financial consequences.
My biggest thing when I applied is I didn’t know the semester started in 2019..I thought it started in 2020. I’m getting married/having a honey moon in April and May so I may consider deferring acceptance if it comes to it. There are a lot of variables for me!
All and all, my fiancé and I have discussed it a lot, and we would be super stoked to move to a different country. I just wish I had a better idea about exactly how the school works. The website isn’t super helpful.

Hi! I’m in the same boat as you..I’m having trouble really grasping what the school is like do I would love to hear other people’s point of view! From what I gather, if you’re still taking prerequisites and they want you, they’ll extend a conditional offer and proof of graduation need to get to them by January..thus, I think we could technically decline up until then? I’m a little fuzzy on the details. I hear the deposit is enormous like 30k but there are options to do a lesser deposit. I think you can accept then later decline if you get into a US school but there are some financial consequences.
My biggest thing when I applied is I didn’t know the semester started in 2019..I thought it started in 2020. I’m getting married/having a honey moon in April and May so I may consider deferring acceptance if it comes to it. There are a lot of variables for me!
All and all, my fiancé and I have discussed it a lot, and we would be super stoked to move to a different country. I just wish I had a better idea about exactly how the school works. The website isn’t super helpful.

Hi! Yeah, even though I was born there it still feels like a crazy huge step to move all the way back for vet school on limited information! I wonder if they have an admissions department or something like that where we could talk to current students...? I'm too afraid to ask at this point, though.

Yeah, hopefully since I'm still taking classes I'll be able to put off my decision until January, but by then I'll only know about whether or not I got an interview for my in state (Auburn!). And you're right, the fact that their semester starts so soon is really intimidating. I can't imagine packing up my whole life in time to be there in February!

they’ll extend a conditional offer and proof of graduation need to get to them by January..thus, I think we could technically decline up until then? I’m a little fuzzy on the details. I hear the deposit is enormous like 30k but there are options to do a lesser deposit. I think you can accept then later decline if you get into a US school but there are some financial consequences.
Didn’t apply to any Australian schools when I applied, but even if you could decline up until January, you still wouldn’t know if you were accepted at most any stateside school. There are very few that send out acceptances before January. I wouldn’t completely bank on being able to wait and see if you get in somewhere else, especially since a lot of schools interview in January.

Hi! Yeah, even though I was born there it still feels like a crazy huge step to move all the way back for vet school on limited information! I wonder if they have an admissions department or something like that where we could talk to current students...? I'm too afraid to ask at this point, though.

Yeah, hopefully since I'm still taking classes I'll be able to put off my decision until January, but by then I'll only know about whether or not I got an interview for my in state (Auburn!). And you're right, the fact that their semester starts so soon is really intimidating. I can't imagine packing up my whole life in time to be there in February!
There’s gotta be some sort of support group. If anything you can always take a look at last year’s thread, that helped me!
It’s a lot of change very quickly! I have 4 animals as well so the quarantine process would be SUPER fun. Lots to consider.

Didn’t apply to any Australian schools when I applied, but even if you could decline up until January, you still wouldn’t know if you were accepted at most any stateside school. There are very few that send out acceptances before January. I wouldn’t completely bank on being able to wait and see if you get in somewhere else, especially since a lot of schools interview in January.
The timetable of other schools definitely makes the process a lot harder! I’m getting ahead of myself though, all of this assuming will get me into trouble. I haven’t even heard anything from the Sydney lol. For all I know I can be rejected and all this consideration was for nothing!

Less than a week before we are supposed to hear decisions. Last year they delayed decisions due to the hurricanes and delayed deadline for VMCAS applicants. I wonder if they’ll do the same this year.

We are supposed to hear back from Sydney October 14th..it is officially October 14th in Sydney :shy:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have submitted my application directly through usyd portal. I just checked my application status and it is still in the faculty for assessment. Is there anyone hear back from them?

I submitted my application through the USyd portal as well but never received anything from the school. Could it be that the decisions are delayed again? It's past 7pm in Sydney already.

I submitted my application through the USyd portal as well but never received anything from the school. Could it be that the decisions are delayed again? It's past 7pm in Sydney already.

If you go to the usyd portal and go to the application-my application-application progress summary, what is your status in there?

If you go to the usyd portal and go to the application-my application-application progress summary, what is your status in there?
Same as yours--not sure if that means they're not yet done making the decisions, or if the system simply didn't update because we're near the end of the application process.

The VMCAS deadline was delayed this year by 4 days so I wonder if Sydney will delay their decisions because of that. I haven’t heard anything yet. I also thought it was weird that they said they would send out decisions on a Sunday.

According to the usyd dvm student admission guide, offers sent out by 14th October. Does this mean only applicants who are successful with their application will be contacted by uni?

According to the usyd dvm student admission guide, offers sent out by 14th October. Does this mean only applicants who are successful with their application will be contacted by uni?
Doubt the school would just leave all denied applicants hanging and never tell them anything.

I saw a thread for 2016 that they didn’t officially let everyone know until mid November. Mid November they’ll give late offers and officially deny those who didn’t make it. I’m going to email them and see if any decisions have been sent out yet.

I saw a thread for 2016 that they didn’t officially let everyone know until mid November. Mid November they’ll give late offers and officially deny those who didn’t make it. I’m going to email them and see if any decisions have been sent out yet.
Uh oh. If that's the case then I guess anyone who hasn't heard back has a good reason to be worried :( But at the same time, the fact that not a single person on this forum got in (notwithstanding the fact that we're dealing with a very, very small sample size) also makes me think decisions are simply being delayed. Hope it's the latter!

Just adding in that I have also not received any communication from them, I applied domestic (if that makes a difference!). Really hoping that I'm not going to be waiting anxiously until November, I would obviously really prefer to know either way ASAP!

When you all check your student portals, does it also show you guys how many committees it has been passed between and on what days? It shows that for me and for some reason that makes me even more nervous! :laugh:

Just adding in that I have also not received any communication from them, I applied domestic (if that makes a difference!). Really hoping that I'm not going to be waiting anxiously until November, I would obviously really prefer to know either way ASAP!

When you all check your student portals, does it also show you guys how many committees it has been passed between and on what days? It shows that for me and for some reason that makes me even more nervous! :laugh:
I applied through the United States application, VMCAS so I don’t have a student portal set up nor do I know how to lol. Navigating their site isn’t the easiest.

Uh oh. If that's the case then I guess anyone who hasn't heard back has a good reason to be worried :( But at the same time, the fact that not a single person on this forum got in (notwithstanding the fact that we're dealing with a very, very small sample size) also makes me think decisions are simply being delayed. Hope it's the latter!
I emailed them! I’ll let you know what they say when I get a response.

Reactions: 2 users

Do you mean application forwarded between central admission and faculty?

I applied through the United States application, VMCAS so I don’t have a student portal set up nor do I know how to lol. Navigating their site isn’t the easiest.

I emailed them! I’ll let you know what they say when I get a response.

Just got a reply back from the admissions office as well---apparently the whole decisionmaking process has been delayed and it's gonna take them another three weeks or so to get the decisions out. I guess we're in it for the long haul now :/

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a reply back from the admissions office as well---apparently the whole decisionmaking process has been delayed and it's gonna take them another three weeks or so to get the decisions out. I guess we're in it for the long haul now :/
Three weeks?! That’s crazy..all that nervousness and excitement for nothing.

Yeah! But I guess if we're all waiting for another three weeks then there's no concern to be too worried about it ...:dead:

When did you email admissions? I emailed them on Monday and still no response.

I emailed them on 10/25 and they said no decisions have been out yet al they will all come out mid-November.

Wow.. mid November..? then we have to wait couple of weeks again :( Anyway, thank you for the reply:)

I emailed them on 10/25 and they said no decisions have been out yet al they will all come out mid-November.
Oh wow, holy crap! That doesn't leave us a lot of time to make decisions...

Does anyone have information on the program? It is hard to find information out there on it. TIA

Heads up, I was accepted last year and Sydney will give you about a week to make the deposit of $31,000 AUD in October/November to secure your spot. So As soon as you get your email you have about a week, I think some students emailed and could've delayed until loans came through. (Maybe it changed maybe it didn't)

The downside to that is you would lose your deposit (10% = 3100 AUD = ~2100 USD) if you end up getting interviews and acceptances from other schools around Jan/Feb.

Heads up, I was accepted last year and Sydney will give you about a week to make the deposit of $31,000 AUD in October/November to secure your spot. So As soon as you get your email you have about a week, I think some students emailed and could've delayed until loans came through. (Maybe it changed maybe it didn't)

The downside to that is you would lose your deposit (10% = 3100 AUD = ~2100 USD) if you end up getting interviews and acceptances from other schools around Jan/Feb.
I saw previous threads about this. I also saw that people could apply for something and do a MUCH smaller deposit? Regardless, the 31k deposit is insane for anyone to pull out of thin air.

Friday and still no results... I really need them to put me out of my misery.

Friday and still no results... I really need them to put me out of my misery.
It is already 4pm in sydney and got nothing from them.. I think we have to wait till next week as they are not gonna send out offer on weekends :(

I'm going to lose my mind, honestly.

I am hoping next week we hear! the wait is killer! who will for sure attend if accepted?

I am hoping next week we hear! the wait is killer! who will for sure attend if accepted?
I will probably decline if I’m accepted, unfortunately! When I applied I thought the start was February 2020 not 2019. The timing doesn’t work out too well because I’m getting married in April along with other wedding festivities planned!

I just got my acceptance! I will probably decline because I don’t think it is logistically feasible for me to move to Sydney by Feb. Like JiuJitsu, I had thought it was for 2020.
BUT YAY!!!!

I just received a conditional offer (dependent on graduation/passing my classes). I’ll likely decline unless something drastically changes in my current situation!

I just got my unconditional offer. Does anyone know what the amount is that I have to put as my deposit?

Still no word here...I'm unsure if that's because domestic applications are being processed on a different timeline, or because I should anticipate a rejection haha. Regardless, congrats to all who have heard back so far!!

Congrats everyone!!! I was accepted as well. Domestic is a different timeline when I saw it originally.
The deposit is 31k AUD.
I will probably be accepting. I will hear from one other school this week then make my decision.

I am from California!

This might be kind of a weird question... but does anyone know how competitive it is to get accepted? Or how they would view a re-applicant who turned down their 1st offer? I’m wondering because I applied to 8 schools, already gotten 1 rejection and 1 interview and now 1 acceptance, but I’m waiting to hear anything from 5 others. I’m afraid to turn down Sydney and get rejected from 6 more schools, but I’m also hoping that this acceptance won’t be the only one and I don’t know how to make sense of how competitive my applicant is. If I turn it down and DO get a sweep of rejections, if I apply again next year will I get dinged for turning down this offer?
I’ve lived in Australia before, and I know I like it there. But it is SO SOON and SO FAR and the thought of moving to Sydney by February terrifies me. But the thought of turning down my only acceptance also terrifies me...