University of Texas question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knickerbocker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: non-transfers have to do letters of recommendation too, of course.

I have a question for those of you who got into UT (or at least got an interview). I'm confused about what they want for letters of recommendation:

Each application must include two recommendations submitted on behalf of the applicant. Applicants should request recommendations from individuals who know the applicant professionally and who can offer a frank appraisal of the applicant's character and suitability for Pharmacy as a profession and professional behavior in a work or volunteer setting.

* Applicants who are no longer in school but are currently employed should obtain one of their recommendations from an employer or business associate.
* Applicants who do not fit into the above category should obtain one of their recommendations from a community leader.

After Pharm.D. applicants submit their online Pharm.D. applications, they are given access and a link to the University's online Recommendation System. The system facilitates the submission process and assures delivery of the recommendations.

So, I need one from a community leader? Does a professor at my school know me "professionally?"

Members don't see this ad.

get letters of rec. from a pharmacists, also don't get a letter from someone you know too close. those are the two rules to follow for my guidelines to UT COP

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have not graduated yet and are still in school, you can get them both from professors. If you volunteered somewhere, you could ask whoever was your supervisor, i.e. a pharmacist if you volunteered in a pharmacy.

If you have graduated and work full time, they want one of your LORs to be from your manager/supervisor.

When I applied, I got one from a college professor, one from the program director of an internship I was a part of, and one from my supervisor at work. They just want to make sure you don't ask someone that you know on a personal level, i.e. family member that happens to be a pharmacist.

Thanks for the responses! I was thinking that was what they meant, but I'm so paranoid because their application process for people not in the UT system is a big pain.