University of Toledo MSBS 2015-2016 (SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this is getting ridiculous, i realize they have some issues to work out, but leaving us hanging like this is a big turn-off

Members don't see this ad.

hey, guys (current msbs student). from my PI's discussion with a faculty member involved with admissions, some extra things that shed a little more light onto the situation that has come up. (if you don't care about what happened to current msbs skip to 3)

1) last year the admissions board was very disappointed with the way the M1 class turned out.

they ended up having to accept many people they would not have normally accepted because they had the MSBS seats in mind. therefore, because they review MSBS applicants last, they under-booked the class with regular applicants and it was too late to fill with candidates that were more to their standards. this lead them to accept every MSBS student that was wait-listed (presumably those that didn't deserve acceptances), and sending out late interview requests in a desperate attempt to fill all their seats. essentially, the MSBS class burned them.

2) this year the admissions board is also disappointed with the way the M1 class turned out.

they ended up digging deeper into regular applicants and gave away seats to, what ended up being, less qualified students than many of the deferred MSBS students. this is due to the fact that they wanted to reduce the number of MSBS'ers they took (vide infra). this lead them to offer deferrals because they did, in fact, want to take these deferred students into this year's M1 class, but couldn't. therefore, they did the next best thing.

3) the reason why the admissions board wants to take less MSBS students is because UT is seeing a decrease in residency placements and an increase in out of country residency placements (both bad things for the university) and they found that most of these students not placing or having to do residency out of the country were former MSBS students.

as you can see it turned out to be a perfect storm. what this says about MSBS '15-'16 class? other than they are definitely being more selective with whom they take into their M1 class from MSBS, i would GUESS they they will start assessing applicants as a whole, be more selective with matriculations, and all historic % mean nothing anymore (not that it ever did).

Reactions: 1 users
hey, guys (current msbs student). from my PI's discussion with a faculty member involved with admissions, some extra things that shed a little more light onto the situation that has come up. (if you don't care about what happened to current msbs skip to 3)

1) last year the admissions board was very disappointed with the way the M1 class turned out.

they ended up having to accept many people they would not have normally accepted because they had the MSBS seats in mind. therefore, because they review MSBS applicants last, they under-booked the class with regular applicants and it was too late to fill with candidates that were more to their standards. this lead them to accept every MSBS student that was wait-listed (presumably those that didn't deserve acceptances), and sending out late interview requests in a desperate attempt to fill all their seats. essentially, the MSBS class burned them.

2) this year the admissions board is also disappointed with the way the M1 class turned out.

they ended up digging deeper into regular applicants and gave away seats to, what ended up being, less qualified students than many of the deferred MSBS students. this is due to the fact that they wanted to reduce the number of MSBS'ers they took (vide infra). this lead them to offer deferrals because they did, in fact, want to take these deferred students into this year's M1 class, but couldn't. therefore, they did the next best thing.

3) the reason why the admissions board wants to take less MSBS students is because UT is seeing a decrease in residency placements and an increase in out of country residency placements (both bad things for the university) and they found that most of these students not placing or having to do residency out of the country were former MSBS students.

as you can see it turned out to be a perfect storm. what this says about MSBS '15-'16 class? other than they are definitely being more selective with whom they take into their M1 class from MSBS, i would GUESS they they will start assessing applicants as a whole, be more selective with matriculations, and all historic % mean nothing anymore (not that it ever did).
@DrMidlife if you'd be so kind, id like to hear your thoughts on possible reasons why most of the students not placing or placing out of the country are former MSBS students. Maybe it has something to do with the MSBS program having a relatively low average MCAT score for matriculants (27-28 I believe), in comparison to other established SMPs. It's possible they never quite sharpened those standardized test-taking skills. On the other hand, the data seems to show that individuals with a 28 usually do reasonably well in med school. On the other other hand, individuals with a lower MCAT score who get into med school usually have a higher GPA to compensate. Totally just speculation on my part.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I have to respond to the the comment you made about residencies. The reason why there is a decrease in residency placements is definitely not due to MSBS students. That is the fault of the residency programs at the hospital which historically tends to accept foreign medical graduates for their residency spots. I know a ton of MSBS students who are doing top specialties in U.S programs. I feel the admissions is making a major generalization towards MSBS students.

Also, is UT admissions bipolar or something. One year they don't want MSBS people and the next they do? What is really upsetting is how they accepted under qualified regular applicants. The MSBS people should be given priority. They performed the med school work and have done more to try to get in. In conclusion, the ad com is confused.

Reactions: 1 user
It's Friday now...they send they would send out acceptances sometime this week...has anyone heard back???

My status online was changed to accepted on Thursday, but no email yet.

My status online was changed to accepted on Thursday, but no email yet.
Do you mind PM me your stats just to get an idea of the type of people they are accepting this year?

Do you mind PM me your stats just to get an idea of the type of people they are accepting this year?

I interviewed for a spot in their M1 class and was waitlisted. Low MCAT, high GPA, years of clinical work as a research coordinator.

Your #3 is either completely made up or you and/or your PI are misunderstanding the process. It literally makes no sense as you typed it. Not trying to offend you but I would appreciate if you can clarify it. Increase in out of country residency placements? Are you referring to the FMG thing because that is related to the quality of UT's residencies which is why most students do not want to stay and train in one of them (this is a generalization). This is not in any way related to the quality of the MSBS or M1 class unless I am missing something. Or are you saying they are doing residencies in other countries? That could not be more wrong or bizarre to say.

Sorry for using strong words at the end but I will let you clarify it before judging it. I have never heard of a problem with students needing out of country residencies at a US MD school.

Also, how could the MSBS class "burn them" if the adcom is what screwed up the numbers? All they did was join the program and complete it. If they are not worthy of a spot the adcom should have planned better.

Last edited:
Another week..anyone hear anything.....this is just horribly wrong now.

my status changed to accepted today, but i have not received an email

Members don't see this ad :)
This makes me a little reluctant. What percentage got in including the people with deferred acceptances?

Someone could probably take two years and get accepted in their home state instead too.

Got my acceptance today through email and status change online. A very close friend who just finished the program made it a point to tell me to reconsider. They only accepted 10 of the MSBS students this year, and did not even tell the students there were limited seats (after accepting regular applicants) until a few weeks ago when they found out their admission status. BTW does anyone else who was accepted know when classes begin? I looked at the academic calendar, it doesn't specify and only has dates for regular classes at UT.

Last edited:
does anyone know if people get notified as rejected/denied on the online status? or does it stay 'complete awaiting decision' even if one is not selected by the end?

does anyone know if people get notified as rejected/denied on the online status? or does it stay 'complete awaiting decision' even if one is not selected by the end?
You will be notified one way or another by mid to late July. The online status will be updated.

Got my acceptance today through email and status change online. A very close friend who just finished the program made it a point to tell me to reconsider. They only accepted 10 of the MSBS students this year, and did not even tell the students there were limited seats (after accepting regular applicants) until a few weeks ago when they found out their admission status. BTW does anyone else who was accepted know when classes begin? I looked at the academic calendar, it doesn't specify and only has dates for regular classes at UT.

Classes start this year on August 10th - the MSBS students have orientation sometime before this, but I don't believe the exact dates have been announced yet. The exact class schedule for the first block will be posted sometime in mid-July, so it should be up fairly soon.

If only 10 people were accepted and the others got deferred, then what happened to the other ppl outside of that? It's kind of scary because this program only guarantees an interview

I heard Wayne States BMS program is similar to this but it takes 2 years.

If only 10 people were accepted and the others got deferred, then what happened to the other ppl outside of that? It's kind of scary because this program only guarantees an interview

I heard Wayne States BMS program is similar to this but it takes 2 years.
About 20 people were straight denied a spot...some of those people applied to DO schools as backups and they are now going there. So technically 30 out of 50 got accepted which is about 60 percent acceptance rate.

The harsh truth is is that this program is no longer seen as a guarantee to medical school even though it was for a while. I would be weary of choosing this program since it may not guarantee admission to medical school. It's probably better off going somewhere that has a bigger name and more reputation.

Was accepted into this program during the first round of acceptances, but have chosen to decline. good luck to everyone!

I have to respond to the the comment you made about residencies. The reason why there is a decrease in residency placements is definitely not due to MSBS students. That is the fault of the residency programs at the hospital which historically tends to accept foreign medical graduates for their residency spots. I know a ton of MSBS students who are doing top specialties in U.S programs. I feel the admissions is making a major generalization towards MSBS students.

Also, is UT admissions bipolar or something. One year they don't want MSBS people and the next they do? What is really upsetting is how they accepted under qualified regular applicants. The MSBS people should be given priority. They performed the med school work and have done more to try to get in. In conclusion, the ad com is confused.

Thank you! A lot of MSBS students actually do really well and go to top residencies. I know of multiple former MSBS students with 260+ on Step 1 and with 5+ papers. If we historically did bad at matching and landing residencies they would not have any reason to keep the program around aside from $$$.

I'm an out of stater who will be moving for this program soon. I'm looking for advice on housing and how to make connections. If anyone has the facebook page that would also be greatly appreciated! I'm flying out Monday to look for housing. What areas should I look at? I am fine with either an apartment or house but I want to know what people prefer. I also have a dog and will be bringing at least one horse so I am looking for barns and boarding facilities as well. I've got four days to sort this all out and could really use some help!

For current students, did you think this program was a good investment even if you got a Deferred acceptance?

How is it in comparison to RFU's BMS, WSU's BMS in Michigan, or even Loyola?

I'm an out of stater who will be moving for this program soon. I'm looking for advice on housing and how to make connections. If anyone has the facebook page that would also be greatly appreciated! I'm flying out Monday to look for housing. What areas should I look at? I am fine with either an apartment or house but I want to know what people prefer. I also have a dog and will be bringing at least one horse so I am looking for barns and boarding facilities as well. I've got four days to sort this all out and could really use some help!

Here's a list that was posted last year that could be helpful - the first 4 on this list are the most popular locations for med students to live. As far as general areas go, some people live downtown if you don't mind it being a little more expensive. Holland/Sylvania and Maumee are the other two popular suburbs. A lot of people have bought a house or condo, which can definitely be worth it if you are planning on being here for 4/5 years and you would have a steady stream of renters if you want to keep it after you graduate.

Here's the link to the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/805421636243218/

And here's a link to the UTCOM class of 2019 page - many of the MSBS students join this one to find housing: https://www.facebook.com/groups/580327408733717/

1. Fox Chase Apartments

Types of Apartments Available: 1 BR and 2 BR available
Average Monthly Rent: $670
Utilities: Water, gas, electric and Internet ~ $100
Distance from Campus: 6 miles from campus, 10-15 minute drive
Amenities: Washer/Dryer in each unit, clubhouse, exercise room, sauna, outdoor pool, tennis and basketball courts, carports optional at extra cost

2. Chelsea Place Apartments
Types of Apartments Available: 1BR, 2BR and 3BR available
Average Monthly Rent: $758
Utilities: Water, gas, cable and Internet ~$120
Distance from Campus: 9 miles from campus, 15-20 minute drive
Amenities: Washer/Dryer in each unit, outdoor pool, 24-hour fitness center, movie theater and DVD library, game/party room, 24-hour business center, optional garage for $90/month, clubhouse/office

3. Quail Hollow at the Lakes Apartments
Average Monthly Rent: $670
Utilities: Gas, electric, water and cable ~$200
Distance from Campus: 6 miles from campus, 15 minute drive
Amenities: Washer/Dryer need to be rented, exercise room, outdoor pool, hot tub, clubhouse

4. The Ridge at Tibaron
Types of Apartments Available: 2BR and 3BR available
Average Monthly Rent: $890
Utilities: Gas, electric, water and cable ~$200
Distance from Campus: 4 miles from campus, 8 minute drive
Amenities: Washer/Dryer included

5. Pinetree Apartments
Average Monthly Rent: $500 and up
Utilities: Gas, electric, cable and Internet not included in rent
Distance from Campus: 4 miles from campus, 10 minute drive
Amenities: Adding a washer/dryer unit costs an extra $20/month, on site leasing office, outdoor pool access, and balconies for each apartment unit

6. Hamlet at Maumee
Types of Apartments Available: 1BR and 2BR available
Average Monthly Rent: $662
Utilities: Gas, electric, and Internet ~$70 (water included in rent)
Distance from Campus: 5 miles from campus, 7-8 minute drive
Amenities: Washer/Dryer shared in each apartment building that costs $2.75/load, outdoor pool, exercise room, garage

7. Heather Hills
Average Monthly Rent: $539
Utilities: All utilities are not included in rent. Everything else must be paid individually.
Distance from Campus: 3.5 miles from campus, 10 minute drive
Amenities: Washer/Dryer in each unit, outdoor pool, tennis courts, dishwasher, balcony, cats allowed

8. Orchard Lakes
Average Monthly Rent: $675 - $700
Utilities: Gas/water included in rent, electric and cable/Internet separate
Distance from Campus: 7.5 miles from campus, 10-15 minute drive
Amenities: Washer/dryer in each unit, clubhouse, outdoor pool

9. Valley Stream Apartments
Average Monthly Rent: $539 - $609
Utilities: Gas, electric, water, and cable/Internet not included in rent
Distance from Campus: 6 miles from campus, 10-15 minute drive
Amenities: 24 hour fitness center, outdoor pool, on-site and on call maintenance, open parking and carports, attached sunrooms, secured intercom access

Some of you are making a big mistake by not doing this program because of what happened this year. That is all I am going to say.

Can you elaborate- what are we missing?

Not saying its a mistake either way.. just be aware that 16 of the spots typically alotted to MSBS students for the next M1 class will be dedicated to recent graduates of the program, meaning less students from our class will be accepted.

anyone else heard any news?

i called Katie today and she said they will be making their "third round" of acceptances late this week or early next week. They do not seem to be in any sort of rush at all...

So if only 10 people got direct acceptances, then the other were either defer-accepted or did DO schools as back-up?

I'm sort of torn if I should do this or just stick with Michigan's MS in Physiology/BMS and reapply to med schools with that if I have to. It's hard deciding which route to take

So if only 10 people got direct acceptances, then the other were either defer-accepted or did DO schools as back-up?

I'm sort of torn if I should do this or just stick with Michigan's MS in Physiology/BMS and reapply to med schools with that if I have to. It's hard deciding which route to take
I'm just going to go to the Michigan MS in phys. Michigan has solid academics so I figure that if I do well I can reapply to med schools with a decent chance. Granted I haven't been admitted to MSBS as of now so I don't have much of a choice. But even if I did get in I'd turn them down at this point.

I accepted my seat today with MSBS. Found out I was actually accepted while I was abroad. They called the people who hadn't signed letters of intents today (aka me but I accepted) to find out who was and was not going. Then after that they're going to do the next round of acceptances

I just got a call from Katie Secory. She extended an invitation into the program. I've already accepted another position elsewhere, but told her I'd consider and get back to her in the next few days.

Does anyone know how many waves of acceptances there are typically?

I got a call from Katie Secory as well, offering me an acceptance into the program. I accepted it! I am going to make the most of it.
I'm one of the new mcat2015 people.

I also received a phone call from Katie Secory about my acceptance but I am giving up my spot in this program to attend another program. Hope my spot goes to someone else!

:) First post.... Ok was accepted two weeks ago (3.0GPA, 26 MCAT) however was also accepted into Case Western Masters in Med Phys. Not sure which one I am going to commit to. Anyone who has completed the Toledo program what are the reasons you liked it/chose it over others?

Starting to become very frustrated and anxious with this process. Been waiting for over a month with not much word after being told I would know for sure by June 15. I have a undergrad GPA of 3.02 and MCAT of 27, worked at osu hospital, ED at ohio health hospital and research at natiowide, as well as numerous ec. In college, as well as varsity athletics. Really just wanting to get word. I feel I'm a good fit and really want to be there.

Starting to become very frustrated and anxious with this process. Been waiting for over a month with not much word after being told I would know for sure by June 15. I have a undergrad GPA of 3.02 and MCAT of 27, worked at osu hospital, ED at ohio health hospital and research at natiowide, as well as numerous ec. In college, as well as varsity athletics. Really just wanting to get word. I feel I'm a good fit and really want to be there.
I'm still waiting just like you....just keep holding on.

Anxiety is inherent in any admissions process. Try not to get too frustrated or you'll burn out when it comes time to apply to med school. I know I did.

Anxiety is inherent in any admissions process. Try not to get too frustrated or you'll burn out when it comes time to apply to med school. I know I did.
Thanks, yea hopefully it all works out for the best for everyone.

I was accepted via a phone call from Katie this afternoon. I stopped following this thread as soon as my application was processed (They didn't accept a few online classes I've done for grade replacement and my GPA ended up being pathetically low) so today is the first time I've looked at it since and WOW. My concern was initially trying to get everything I would need in place before classes start, but after reading the last few pages I don't know what to think.

For those of you still attending this program despite everything that happened, can you please share why? I'm debating whether or not to attend, and I feel like it's a big risk. There's basically no chance of getting into UT's med school regardless of your performance in the program...so is this basically a way to get a good GPA and hopefully get into other med schools?

I haven't decided yet. I am still waiting on Georgetown, Boston, and Tufts, but I am currently leaning towards Toledo MSBS because it's cheaper and for a chance to show medical school admissions that I can handle medical school courses. Nonetheless, what happened this past year does scare me but I feel like the worst case scenario in doing this program is to wait another year before matriculating into a medical school, given that you do well in the program.

Honestly the best SMP program in the country is probably Boston U MAMS...it has the best medical science curriculum and the linkage is high

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, yea hopefully it all works out for the best for everyone.
I think right now a lot of the delay is waiting to see if the people they've accepted are going to take a position in this class or not.