University of Utah, Out of State applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSisk23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the situation on out of state applicants to utah...is all you have to do is to show that you have ties to utah or must you apply to the md/phd program along with being a minority...their website was a little confusing on the matter. Thanks for the replys.

Members don't see this ad.

before you apply to utah, find out about their secondary, which is supposed to be a nightmare (at least in previous years)

I applied there last year, I did my undergrad, grew up there and my family still lives there. You can apply to the MD and they will email asking that you submit a letter to them explaining your personal ties to Utah. The secondary was horrible, they require very specific LOR's for example one from volunteer, one from patient exposure, one from research and some others, bottom line my clinical experience letter said I worked with a doctor in a clinic but did not reference patient exposure and my volunteer letter said I worked as a CPR instructor with AHA but did not specifically say I volunteered so they sent me an email saying I was incomplete based on the lack of those two letters. As I remember it they had a pretty tight deadline once they send out the secondary so make sure you have everything in order by the time you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
holyhess said:
I applied there last year, I did my undergrad, grew up there and my family still lives there. You can apply to the MD and they will email asking that you submit a letter to them explaining your personal ties to Utah. The secondary was horrible, they require very specific LOR's for example one from volunteer, one from patient exposure, one from research and some others, bottom line my clinical experience letter said I worked with a doctor in a clinic but did not reference patient exposure and my volunteer letter said I worked as a CPR instructor with AHA but did not specifically say I volunteered so they sent me an email saying I was incomplete based on the lack of those two letters. As I remember it they had a pretty tight deadline once they send out the secondary so make sure you have everything in order by the time you apply.

Oh man, I wish I would have known this before I applied... they have me on hold right now pending my August MCAT scores... I may not follow through though, if they do send me a secondary.

They sent me the secondary link with a 45 day timer mentioned, including submission of all 6 LORs. I'm told some can cover 2 categories. No research for me that I can easily document in a LOR, my boss is now retired.

I didn't look at the secondary, but heard it was a bear. I decided my time was better spent completing 3 or 4 secondaries for other schools rather than completing U Utah's.

SIX LORs. . . . = stuuuupid.

This is my first time posting, so forgive me if I mess it up. I am an instate applicant from the University of Utah. The medical school generally holds a limited number of seats (something like 10-20% of class) for out of state applicants. They prefer all applicants to have ties to the state of utah. They do require six LORs and three must be professors, one must be volunteer, one must be research, and one must be some medical experience (ie shadowing a physician). In the secondary application they also require an additional personal statement and a detailed list of all extracurricular activities (the requirements are stated on the website). I hope this helps.

COWBOY1 said:
Utah's 6 letter requirement really is ridiculous!

That requirement is tough, but remember that one letter can count for multiple requirements.

I'm currently MSII at Utah who was admitted as an out of state applicant. I have long term ties here so I qualified under their requirments. All I did was write a letter stating my ties (and desires to come back to Utah). They sent me a letter a few weeks later stating that all was cool and I would proceed through committee. As I remember they are pretty specific about out of state requirments. After looking at their website it seems pretty clear. Either ties, MD/PhD, or "Be specifically recognized as a member of a population group underrepresented in the physician workforce.". Long term ties is pretty subjective so if you really want to go to Utah then give it a shot.

If you have any specific questions about the U of U feel free to PM me.