University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The lady was probably just sick of people calling in and bugging her, like me! :D

Members don't see this ad.

hey kids,

don't stress about the wait list process...the summer will fly by and before you know it, you'll be getting calls from various med schools (not just uvm)...the student affairs office is manned by great people, so cut them slack if they sound not so friendly when they get 400th call of the day asking about wait lists!

uvm is a great place for med school...i hope all of you who are waiting to hear back from them get good news!

bump bump...anyone with some news?

Members don't see this ad :)
buglady,

I sent you a pm. Also, does your class have a good mix of ages. What's the average age, oldest student too?

Are you guys going to call on May 15th or are you gonna wait until the end of May? If you do call, let us all know :scared:

wire,

I hope things work out for you. You are really excited about UVM. Is it the only school that you are waitlisted at? What are some of the things that you like about UVM? Are you from New England?

i guess uvm was my favorite school i saw during interviews mainly because the people i interviewed with weren't all gunners and seemed pretty friendly. this is the only waitlist for me, haven't had a successful run this year. but it's ok, this is my first year applying and i'm still young. however, i would really like to get on with the process and end up at uvm.

Does anyone know whether they have started to let people know on the waitlist or will that start happening the end of may all at the same time??

Mr Reddly said:
Someone has to be first I guess.

Bottom half.

I don't mind except that if I'm bottom half there, then I'm probably bottom half on the other waitlists too. The good news is atleast with this one, I know they don't want me and don't have to keep waiting. I just wish the others would do the same instead of stringing me along. Shoot, I might be bottom 1/8th at those schools and I won't even know it till school starts.
bottom half at uvm doesnt mean bottom half elsewhere.
they are particular with the kind of students they want.
so stay positive man. its all good.

oh by the way to all the people considering uvm or waiting.
its an awesome place. if that school just transplanted itself somewhere closer to me...sigh...

tell me about it...its definately in the middle of nowhere.

wire said:
tell me about it...its definately in the middle of nowhere.
haha, but at the same time...wasnt vermont just beautiful?
plus snowboarding deals for med students.

i bet its beautiful in the summer and fall, i was there when there was a snow storm. i'm from colorado, so i can't say the skiing/snowboarding in vermont can even compare :eek:

wire said:
i bet its beautiful in the summer and fall, i was there when there was a snow storm. i'm from colorado, so i can't say the skiing/snowboarding in vermont can even compare :eek:
you dont count! you were spoiled with vail. haha.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Called today and they said movement will occur in the next few weeks and to call back in a few days. But I'm guessing if if you get off the waitlist you will be getting a phone call instead of having to call them? Only update I have, and I feel like I am just updating myself since I'm the only one that replies in this thread. :laugh:

Bah, I meant call back in a few weeks, not days.

Do you think when people get off the waitlist the dean will be calling? What's the deans name again, I forget?

hey wire,

its cool how u are tryin so hard to keep this thread alive. i want to get off the waitlist at uvm pretty bad too. I havnt thought about that, whether they would call you or not if u get off the waitlist. i think the older threads said that they were notified by mail (for the ones that got off in may and june) and the july one was by phone... so they prob only call u near the end of summer.... anyhow i called today too and they said to just call back in 2-3 weeks... man the wait sucks...

wire said:
lol i got to goto vail almost every weekend in high school :) trade me your acceptance to uc-davis and i will buy you a seasons pass..haha.
whoa... a season pass huh?
if its renewable every year...hmmm ;)

I am on the upper 50% of UVM's waitlist but was just pulled off the waitlist at VCU. Does anyone have opinions on which school would be better to attend in terms of residency matching and better preceived education. I am contemplating FP, Surgery or Cardiology.

Herp

considering that UVM students take the USMLE early, how do they do on the USMLE? What's their pass rate? What's the range of scores, can we find that out. i'd like to know their average score, low, and high and pass rate. Any way to know?

SpiritiualDuck said:
considering that UVM students take the USMLE early, how do they do on the USMLE? What's their pass rate? What's the range of scores, can we find that out. i'd like to know their average score, low, and high and pass rate. Any way to know?
highly doubt it.
but from what the students say, even though VIC is tough they like the fact they get done early and that they have enough time to study for the boards.

im sure they do just fine.

Herpeto said:
I am on the upper 50% of UVM's waitlist but was just pulled off the waitlist at VCU. Does anyone have opinions on which school would be better to attend in terms of residency matching and better preceived education. I am contemplating FP, Surgery or Cardiology.

Herp
haha even though im sure some of these WLs will say go to VCU...im pretty sure going to UVM will def do well if your goals are FP....

as for surg or cardiology...not as sure, but uvm is a quality school that will only get better as time goes on...and they will give you the tools to do well on the boards and get quality clinicals.

congratulations on vcu by the way. :)

Don't want to sound biased..but i guess it depends what kind of environment you want to goto medical school in. Richmond is definately more of a city than Burlington. Congrats on VCU, also..

Thanks guys. I guess I am just looking for an atmosphere of camaraderie and down to earth people. I think I found this at each school. VCU will probably have a greater case load because of Richmond. I do like the fact that Vermont does the Step 1 early and begins seeing patients second year. Plus I really liked the area, although it is cold for a little long during the Spring than I would like.

Herp

Herpeto said:
Thanks guys. I guess I am just looking for an atmosphere of camaraderie and down to earth people. I think I found this at each school. VCU will probably have a greater case load because of Richmond. I do like the fact that Vermont does the Step 1 early and begins seeing patients second year. Plus I really liked the area, although it is cold for a little long during the Spring than I would like.

Herp
thats when you can cuddle with girls cause they will be looking for warmth as well ;).
go vermont! haha.

Can someone post as soon as they hear something from the school? Pretty stressing since people ive started to post they are getting off waitlists at other schools and it will be nice to know when UVM starts notifying people. I know they said call in a few weeks, but wonder if they just tell everyone that to get off their case. Any current students know?

Did you ask if they could be more specific than halves?

Herpeto said:

Herp

I don't know a whole lot about VCU, but I think Vermont is an up-and-coming school. The curriculum is definitely a step in the right direction (and away from the traditional format). They seem to have invested a lot of time and effort into planning and implementing the curriculum and I think that demonstrates how much they care about the happiness of their students and the success of their school. Also, the fact that they're rebuilding the entire medical school facility is a good sign to me. Vermont is a tiny state and I'm sure that undertaking a project like they are has been tough on them financially, but they see the value of it in giving their students more and better resources. While it's true that Richmond is a much bigger city than Burlington.... it's Richmond! It's not like we're talking about Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, etc. And as far as camaraderie, I know that you'll find that at UVM. I have a friend who went there and she just loved the environment and her fellow classmates.

Anyway, good luck getting in off the wait-list to all of you. It's a wonderful school.

felraihn: i've tried to get something more specific, but they won't let me know. however, they might tell you something now that may 15th has already rolled around. i'm gonna call later today and let you know what they say. you should see what they say too, since they told you thirds.

jose: is it possible if you could ask your friend how much the waitlist actually moves?

SpiritiualDuck said:
buglady,

I sent you a pm. Also, does your class have a good mix of ages. What's the average age, oldest student too?

Our particular range is 22 - 48! It's a funky mix of personalities, but we all get along and share a very particular sense of humor that can only come from being the first class to go through a new curriculum...

UVM historically looks for the person who's had a bit of struggle in their lives...whether it's an academic or personal struggle...We always joke that they enjoy accepting the "train wreck"!

buglady said:
Our particular range is 22 - 48! It's a funky mix of personalities, but we all get along and share a very particular sense of humor that can only come from being the first class to go through a new curriculum...

UVM historically looks for the person who's had a bit of struggle in their lives...whether it's an academic or personal struggle...We always joke that they enjoy accepting the "train wreck"!
i'm a train wreck too! :)

but yeah i am defintely agreeing with this.

wire said:
jose: is it possible if you could ask your friend how much the waitlist actually moves?

Hey man, she actually graduated a couple years ago, so I'm not really sure it would be all that helpful.

I just got accepted off the waitlist yesterday at UVM! I'm accepting the spot, but I'm still on 2 other WL's, so I'm not completely sure of where I'll end up. Anyhow, For those of you waiting on UVM, the waitlist IS moving! Good luck! :luck:

Oh, also the letter comes by snail mail and is a thin envelope!

congrats mngrrl! anyone else receive a letter? i assume people in the western u.s. won't be getting a letter until today if they are gonna receive one.

bump...anyone else receive a letter? i didn't yet..

They called and said there had been movement and to call back this week sometime.

felraihn said:
They called and said there had been movement and to call back this week sometime.

They called you? Or did you leave a message on their infamous machine and called you back? Good luck sherlock and Felraihn, I hope we are classmates :)

I'm also in the top half of the waitlist at vermont. Thanks for all of the great info from everyone on this thread. I have tried calling regarding status but only get the message. Any one else hear any thing about movement.

Thanks

I called today and they said they can tell some people what thirds they are in. I am in the top half, but the middle third :( any current students know the chances of someone gettin in on the top part of the middle third?

So it looks like they have not completely abandoned the 1/3 waitlist approach.

You called today? But it is not a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday during office hours! I think they like you. Best of luck. I thought they said they usually draw from the second third.

MNgirl~
congratulations on getting in. I'm finishing up my first year at UVM along with some others that have written on this thread... its a fun school. we like it.
p

Thanks polo - I think I have made my decision (as to how much effort I want to put into another waitlist), and am about 85% certain I'll be there next year. Hopefully some other folks on this thread will be my classmates. I was wondering how much I should expect to pay for an apartment, or if you think it is best to live with someone else. I sort of wanted to live by myself (I had an 'interesting' experience with my college freshman year roommate, and it has made me sort of reluctant to move in with someone I don't know again), but I need to conserve money (seeing as how VT sadly does not give in state tuition after the first year :( ).

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance!

MNgrrl said:
Thanks polo - I think I have made my decision (as to how much effort I want to put into another waitlist), and am about 85% certain I'll be there next year. Hopefully some other folks on this thread will be my classmates. I was wondering how much I should expect to pay for an apartment, or if you think it is best to live with someone else. I sort of wanted to live by myself (I had an 'interesting' experience with my college freshman year roommate, and it has made me sort of reluctant to move in with someone I don't know again), but I need to conserve money (seeing as how VT sadly does not give in state tuition after the first year :( ).

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance!
the person that hosted me lived about 10 minutes away from school in a nice quiet area...so nice and quiet that my cell had no reception haha. but she lived with a roommate in a nice place with their own bedrooms. they had an upstairs and a downstairs. tho i cant quite remember how much she was paying, but it wasnt that bad from what i remember.

i think it would be very expensive living there by yourself tho.

so i dunno a thing about this year's halves/thirds controversy, but I got in off the top third of the waitlist last year and wanted to float you all the good vibe. you guys will survive this.

historically, UVM gets way into the middle third of the waitlist, and even into the bottom third once in the past few yrs. so keep hope alive. and don't quote me on this one, but i think last year around 100 total were on the WL.

now for those of you thinkin...the bottom end of the WL? what is wrong with this school?...nothing if you ask me. my classmates are extraordinary. everyone is smart as hell and CHILL. the curriculum is amazing. your profs actually know you--like really, really know you. it's a great place to be a med student. i love burlington. i am from CA and somehow i deal with the cold. picking UVM was one of the best decisions i have ever made.

let me know if i can help.

MNgrrl-
things are cheapers in nearby towns, but a one bedroom in burlington run you about $600-750+utilities, probably towards the higher end of that range. i lucked out and found a studio downtown for $540 including utilities (we are talkin 2 blocks from Church St, 15 mins to school). if you share a room in an apt/house it'll be anywhere from $375-$500+. i didn't want to deal with roommate drama, especially since it's med school--there's no time for the drama! i also didn't want to live with a stranger. if you live with another 1st year you might get sick of seeing them basically 24 hrs a day. if you are worried about money, you will be in debt way over your head anyways, so make sure you are happy with your living situation-- if you are only saving a hundred or so dollars a month it's a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of med school debt.

get the housing listings from student affairs early and just browse and call up landlords and stuff. you can PM me if you need the email address. i can also tell you the ins and outs of apt shopping. good luck.

Does anyone know of a website for student housing options near the med school campus?

According to some of the other responses I have read, there is a "so so" chance of being accepted from the middle third of the waitlist. It seems that most of the schools started going to the waitlist list later this year. It might be because there are more applicants or some schools just fell behind for some reason or another. The latter would cause a trickle effect were students waiting for a more desirable school to accept them from the waitlist will wait longer before withdrawing from other schools-->thus, other schools can't pick people off the waitlist until they know for sure that some students are not coming.