University of Washington Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For moving small amounts of furniture, clothes, lamps, etc check out www.upack.com and take a look at their "Relocubes". They're about half the size of those expensive Pods. I used one to move to Milwaukee and it worked really well. Good service too.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone ever purchase a laptop sleeve/protector? I am having a hard time deciding which one I should get for a macbook. Do you guys have any recomendations?

adiddas125 said:
Anyone ever purchase a laptop sleeve/protector? I am having a hard time deciding which one I should get for a macbook. Do you guys have any recomendations?
I've had a Tucano second skin folder for about 2.5 years, it's worked really well up to this point, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Members don't see this ad :)
so ummm..... about 17 days till madness and hell breaks loose.

How is everyone spending their remaining bits of summer?

adiddas125 said:

going to the dentist. shoot me now.

ahumdinger said:
going to the dentist. shoot me now.
whatever you do don't drink the fluoride rinse like I did yesterday, spent the night throwing up

adiddas125 said:

Mini vacation in Canada, reading, working out, seeing family, hanging out with friends, and trying to not get all worked up. Overall, it is working pretty well. I quit my job a the end of July to have some alone/prepare for school time.

Anyone else?

sparkysgirl said:
I've had a Tucano second skin folder for about 2.5 years, it's worked really well up to this point, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Sparkysgirl - I just bought a Tucano Second skin folder. Its very affordable, and it fits quite well in my macbook! :) Not to mention the sleeve looks really nice and professional. Cost me $17!

The email was just sent around saying what college we are in at UW. Where did all of you get placed?

I am in Denali!

Im in Big Sky, I have Dr. Whipple!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm finally starting to get really excited

Well I opened up my macbook this evening. I was like an excited little boy on christmas day....

my macbook is flawed! It has oil smudged all over the lid, dead pixels, and my track pad is scratched up. Gosh and I was rdy to play with it this weekend. Gotta call apple and have them take care of this. Ill let you all know what happens! :)

titoincali said:
I'm in Denali too! Pretty exciting. Things are happening pretty quickly... :love:
That is cool. There are three of us in Denali (at least that post on here recently)! :D

adiddas125 said:
Well I opened up my macbook this evening. I was like an excited little boy on christmas day....

my macbook is flawed! It has oil smudged all over the lid, dead pixels, and my track pad is scratched up. Gosh and I was rdy to play with it this weekend. Gotta call apple and have them take care of this. Ill let you all know what happens! :)
Ouch. That sucks. I would have been a little peeved off.

adiddas125 said:

that's terrible, the apple people are usually really nice though so hopefully you'll get a fixed one soon.

No Love for Big Sky???? j/k I love how things are finally getting rolling. Maybe I will regret saying that during anatomy. :laugh: Is anyone in Snake River? I hope they get their dinner all fixed up. Has anyone gotten an add code from the Medicine Dept for a preceptorship?

As far as the computer goes...

I explained to apple my situation, and they listened. They are sending me a new Macbook via overnight shipping, and also a $50 discount. They said I am pending for a nother $100 right now, they need to look at my laptop to verify!

don't you just love apple?
about the preceptorship I was thinking I'd wait until orientation to sign up. I was wondering when it'd start, and how hard would it be to do during anatomy? There's no hurry, right? I can't wait for orientation, classes I could put off a little longer though :)

Yeah, I am waiting on the preceptorship until orientation. I want to learn how that works. You know, I want orientation to hurry up and get here, but I also don't want it to because that means classes are right after it. :)

sparkysgirl said:
don't you just love apple?
about the preceptorship I was thinking I'd wait until orientation to sign up. I was wondering when it'd start, and how hard would it be to do during anatomy? There's no hurry, right? I can't wait for orientation, classes I could put off a little longer though :)
Their Service is pretty good. I am impressed so far with their handling of the matter. This is my first Mac. :)

I found out that I am with the Snake River college today. Instead of emailing us, they told us at first day of orientation today at the Pullman/Moscow WWAMI site.

swman said:
I found out that I am with the Snake River college today. Instead of emailing us, they told us at first day of orientation today at the Pullman/Moscow WWAMI site.
How did the first day of orientation go over there?

MissJ said:
How did the first day of orientation go over there?

It went really smoothly but long. Everyone that I met seemed like really nice and exciting people. At first we were all super excited, chatting it up with one another, but then after lunch the adrenaline wore off and the day dragged on for a few more hours. But overall it was a lot of fun, and I feel like I already know 90% of my classmates' names!

We got a ton of paperwork to go through that I think is mainly specific to the WWAMI program and a little confusing. Kinda hard to get these things done before classes start, since the offices are closed all weekend and then we are all in class all day starting Monday.

Plus, they told us in a summer packet not to buy any textbooks until after the first week of class, and then at orientation told us that was more or less a typo and we need all our books on Monday :eek:

But on the bright side we are white water rafting in Idaho tomorrow!

swman said:
It went really smoothly but long. Everyone that I met seemed like really nice and exciting people. At first we were all super excited, chatting it up with one another, but then after lunch the adrenaline wore off and the day dragged on for a few more hours. But overall it was a lot of fun, and I feel like I already know 90% of my classmates' names!

We got a ton of paperwork to go through that I think is mainly specific to the WWAMI program and a little confusing. Kinda hard to get these things done before classes start, since the offices are closed all weekend and then we are all in class all day starting Monday.

Plus, they told us in a summer packet not to buy any textbooks until after the first week of class, and then at orientation told us that was more or less a typo and we need all our books on Monday :eek:

But on the bright side we are white water rafting in Idaho tomorrow!
Except for the book thing, that sounds pretty good. White water rafting is always fun. I think that the most active thing we have got going is a trip to Magnolia in a park. But that is alright, I am sure there will be so much information thrown at us that it will be a good break none the less.

Good luck with your classes!

hi. this is not a school related questions, but what's the going rate for babysitters in seattle? I got paid $9/hr in St. Louis for two babies who slept most of the time I was there. But in Chicago the rate was always $10+. I am babysitting for an 18 month old in U-Dist/Ravenna and I want to give a competitive price.

ahumdinger said:
hi. this is not a school related questions, but what's the going rate for babysitters in seattle? I got paid $9/hr in St. Louis for two babies who slept most of the time I was there. But in Chicago the rate was always $10+. I am babysitting for an 18 month old in U-Dist/Ravenna and I want to give a competitive price.
Depending on your references/experience and what kind of money the family can afford, I would say somewhere between $10-$15/hour. I would say $10-$12 to be on the safe side depending on what you are asked to do. If there is more housecleaning involved than just babysitting, I would up the rate.

http://thedaily.washington.edu/classifieds/530.html

The link is for the Daily. (That is one of the campus newspapers at U of Wa.) Specifically, it takes you to the childcare page. You can see what people are offering as an hourly rate.

Hope that helps. :D

thanks, MissJ.

In other news...I'm coming to seattle on monday!!! WHEEEEEEE!! do a little dance!

ahumdinger said:
thanks, MissJ.

In other news...I'm coming to seattle on monday!!! WHEEEEEEE!! do a little dance!
That is exciting ahumdinger!

On that note, is anyone up for meeting before the orientation? Maybe just meet for coffee/tea/food/drinks or something like that. I just thought I would put the idea out there. I was thinking maybe the weekend before orientation. I am in Canada until Thursday...

MissJ said:

On that note, is anyone up for meeting before the orientation? Maybe just meet for coffee/tea/food/drinks or something like that. I just thought I would put the idea out there. I was thinking maybe the weekend before orientation. I am in Canada until Thursday...

yes yes definitely! that would be a lot of fun. anyone else up for it?

The allo thread about working out got me thinking:

any swimmers here? I'm an ex-swimmer (swam competitively but never superduperfast) and I've been out of the pool for years. Does UW have a masters team? I really need to be eased back in, and I'm not motivated enough to do it on my own. help!

MissJ said:

I'm up for it, next weekend would be great.

The times that work for me are Thursday evening, Friday during the day or evening, or on Sunday. Maybe we can meet up for food somewhere in the U district? I like the Ram (brewery and good food), Agua Verde (mexican food with good margaritas), or any other place people can think of.

ahumdinger said:
The allo thread about working out got me thinking:

any swimmers here? I'm an ex-swimmer (swam competitively but never superduperfast) and I've been out of the pool for years. Does UW have a masters team? I really need to be eased back in, and I'm not motivated enough to do it on my own. help!
I don't know if there is a masters swimming team, but www.gohuskies.com is the UW's athletic page.

MissJ said:
The times that work for me are Thursday evening, Friday during the day or evening, or on Sunday. Maybe we can meet up for food somewhere in the U district? I like the Ram (brewery and good food), Agua Verde (mexican food with good margaritas), or any other place people can think of.
I vote for Agua Verde and Friday would work well for me.

friday is fine by me! i'll tell my housemate too, who's also a classmate. I don't think he's an SDN'er.

I'll tell some of the other prematers. I will out of town at a wedding but I'm sure I'll meet up with everyone the next week!

titoincali said:
I'll tell some of the other prematers. I will out of town at a wedding but I'm sure I'll meet up with everyone the next week!

Yay - I'm excited to meet you guys! I won't be up until Saturday - anyone up for drinks Sunday evening too? :)

yes! I'm ready for all sorts of fun. last week before orientation!

I'm headed to the beach this week :) , I just hope the weather keeps up. Also, I'd be up for something Sunday (my work schedule ended up shrinking).

sparkysgirl said:
I'm headed to the beach this week :) , I just hope the weather keeps up. Also, I'd be up for something Sunday (my work schedule ended up shrinking).
You're still working??? :eek: Well I guess Im not doing that much better, Im still doing research, but I think im taking off starting on Wednesday...

All of this sounds great, but I dont think I'll be able to make any of the times because I wont be in Seattle till orientaition starts!!! (if I take my well deserved vacation :) )

Auga Verde is freakin awesome, nice view of the water! Kayaking is also very nice. You can check out kayaks for real cheap! (w/ UW student Disco). Have Fun!

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here. I'm so excited that we will all be meeting soon!! I'm also starting to get scared with school starting up already...

Agua Verde -- yes, great idea! I'll definitely try to make it this Friday. If not, I'll see everyone during Orientation next week. It's going to be fun!!

ahumdinger: I'm an ex-swimmer too (but a super slow one). I'd really like to get back into it as well.

ClimbOn said:
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here. I'm so excited that we will all be meeting soon!! I'm also starting to get scared with school starting up already...

Agua Verde -- yes, great idea! I'll definitely try to make it this Friday. If not, I'll see everyone during Orientation next week. It's going to be fun!!

ahumdinger: I'm an ex-swimmer too (but a super slow one). I'd really like to get back into it as well.

Hi ClimbOn! hope to see you friday! we can be swimming buddies!

So what time works the best for everyone for Friday? Maybe a kind of early dinner at 5:00ish?

Also, I am up for Sunday as well. Maybe a different place? If people want to do it late (who knows if that is a good idea) a lot of places have things half-off after 10:00pm. I know that the Ram does that... Any other ideas?

I am excited that at least some of us can meet before orientation. :D

Please make sure to post one more time to let us know if you are coming or not. I can show up at the restaurant early so they can setup for us.

I'm really open, 5 would be fine with me.

another suggestion: on sunday y'all are welcome to come over to my place and we can have some wine and beer. I live a few blocks north of u-village. I will have some furniture by then!

friday's time sounds fine. where's this place? I have car if people need rides. also, I'm making a trip out to ikea this week, i have a small pickup truck this week so if anyone wants to caravan out there I can help haul stuff back.

ahumdinger said:
Hi ClimbOn! hope to see you friday! we can be swimming buddies!

Yes, I can't wait to meet everyone. Looks like I should be able to make it Friday at 5 pm! Hey, we'll motivate each other with swimming!!