University of Washington Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sparkysgirl said:
I work with an M2, and from him it sounded like they were sticking with starting with pure anatomy (he said 5 weeks though). But, he is no official source by any means. Personally, I have mixed feelings about it. I understand the arguement that we will get more out of the other 1st quarter classes, and that after anatomy the rest of the fall won't seem that bad. But, a month to learn all the anatomy is pretty crazy. If anyone has any official news I'd love to hear it too.

I'm pretty sure Anatomy and Embryology will be in it's own block again this year. I'm in the premat program and I've heard many times that the first 5-6 weeks will be difficult because of the intensive A&E class. I actually really like the schedule this way. I'm taking just Histology right now and it's nice to focus on one thing only.

Members don't see this ad.

titoincali said:
I'm pretty sure Anatomy and Embryology will be in it's own block again this year. I'm in the premat program and I've heard many times that the first 5-6 weeks will be difficult because of the intensive A&E class. I actually really like the schedule this way. I'm taking just Histology right now and it's nice to focus on one thing only.

tito-- where did you end up finding an apt? I'm moving to Seattle in August and I'll probably live north of campus, Ravenna-ish.

ahumdinger said:
tito-- where did you end up finding an apt? I'm moving to Seattle in August and I'll probably live north of campus, Ravenna-ish.

I have a place in Wallingford which I love. It's a short walk to the HSB but has a cute downtown and is close to the lake and bus routes. Ravenna is nice too but I always get lost there!

Members don't see this ad :)
tito - which part of Wallingford??

I also live in Wallingford, near the softball fields at Greenlake (on 51st). I love this neighborhood b/c it is relatively close to the school, Zoka coffee house, Greenlake and Lakeforest Park, but it is also close to other great neighborhoods. Last night we just walked a couple of blocks, and had a perfect view of the fireworks.

I'm just a bit north of you guys, Wallingford and Green Lake, clearly we all have excellent taste.

EvolutionKills said:
Is the "family day" picnic thing at Pullman aimed at spouses and kids or do students bring their parents? I feel a little silly inviting my folks to see me off to professional school.

Oh, and is anybody here going to live in the Moscow WWAMI house?

I will also live in the WWAMI house, but in the one reserved for women. I'm looking forward to meet all the WSU/Idaho students in a few weeks. See you soon, EvolutionKills.

thesauce said:
I gotta know. Are any of you from the Tri-cities? I graduated from Hanford high in 2001.

I am. Richland High School Class of 1998.

TO WSU students: does any of you need a roommate to share room in Pullman? or currently looking a place to stay in Pullman? At first, I plan to live in the WWAMI house for girls, but if I do that, I would lose my state health insurance, so I decide to live in Pullman instead. So, I wonder if any of you girls need a roommate or want to share an apartment in Pullman, please PM me. Thanks.

P.S. I'm a girl by the way, so I hope to share room with other girls. Sorry guys

Fishy-Cracker said:
I am. Richland High School Class of 1998.

I went to Richland High my freshman year (97-98). My fiancee was in my high school class too. Then I went to WSU and now I'm at med school in New Jersey (followed my girlfriend over here). I swear that I must be the only person from WSU to turn down UWSOM, but she's worth it. Maybe I'll come back for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody, I a new guy to the board. I've checked out some of your postings from time to time to make sure I wasn't missing anything in getting ready for the fall, but I decided to stop being 'the creepy message board voyeur' and introduce myself. I'm headed to the Seattle campus come school time, and I'm getting psyched up to started back up with school. I'm from Mount Vernon, WA (about an hour north of Seattle), and I've taken the last year off from school. I graduated from UW in June 2005. Since then I've worked a bunch and spent some time in Mexico.

I'm probably gonna start looking for a place with my girlfriend (who's starting law school at the Dub this year) in either Greenlake/Wallingford/Fremont/or Capitol Hill in a couple of weeks. My last 2 years at UW I lived in Greenlake.

I look forward to meeting everybody soon.

P.S. Have any of you found out how to access or done the HIPAA stuff yet?

Boney said:
Hey everybody, I a new guy to the board. I've checked out some of your postings from time to time to make sure I wasn't missing anything in getting ready for the fall, but I decided to stop being 'the creepy message board voyeur' and introduce myself. I'm headed to the Seattle campus come school time, and I'm getting psyched up to started back up with school. I'm from Mount Vernon, WA (about an hour north of Seattle), and I've taken the last year off from school. I graduated from UW in June 2005. Since then I've worked a bunch and spent some time in Mexico.

I'm probably gonna start looking for a place with my girlfriend (who's starting law school at the Dub this year) in either Greenlake/Wallingford/Fremont/or Capitol Hill in a couple of weeks. My last 2 years at UW I lived in Greenlake.

I look forward to meeting everybody soon.

P.S. Have any of you found out how to access or done the HIPAA stuff yet?

I have a quick question for a Seattle oriented person like yourself...what is the Mountlake Terrace area like? Good? Bad? Nice? My husband and I are trying to decide on a neighborhood that has a decent commute (via bus or car) to Seattle. I start WWAMI-Pullman in August, but I am curious about housing for next year since I will probably be very busy during the school year and not have as much time as I would like to look into this topic. Thanks

P.S. I have not heard anything about the HIPPA stuff either. So far they have been a little late on getting info out it seems.

RachMD said:
I have a quick question for a Seattle oriented person like yourself...what is the Mountlake Terrace area like? Good? Bad? Nice? My husband and I are trying to decide on a neighborhood that has a decent commute (via bus or car) to Seattle. I start WWAMI-Pullman in August, but I am curious about housing for next year since I will probably be very busy during the school year and not have as much time as I would like to look into this topic. Thanks

P.S. I have not heard anything about the HIPPA stuff either. So far they have been a little late on getting info out it seems.

Others might have more to say on this but I was very clearly steered away from mountlake terrace when I was looking at neighborhoods. Does anybody have something to add!

titoincali said:
Others might have more to say on this but I was very clearly steered away from mountlake terrace when I was looking at neighborhoods. Does anybody have something to add!

Yeah, it's definitely cheaper to rent or buy a place in the Mountlake Terrace area, but I'd say there are places in seattle that are more appealing (closer and cooler neighborhoods) if you are renting. My sister, who goes to UW law, just bought a house in Lynnwood, which is pretty comparable to Mt.Lake Terrace in terms of commute and she said the bus commute isn't bad, and it's cheap with the UPASS ($30-40 for the quarter).

I guess it just depends on what your looking for.

Thank you both for the advice.

anyone still looking for housing in seattle? my parents have 2 rooms for rent in a 3 bedroom house-- 5700 block of 25th ave.

ahumdinger said:
anyone still looking for housing in seattle? my parents have 2 rooms for rent in a 3 bedroom house-- 5700 block of 25th ave.
I'm still looking for housing! What neighborhood is the house in? Thanks :)

Beaner81 said:
I'm still looking for housing! What neighborhood is the house in? Thanks :)

the house is the 5700 block of 25th Ave, so I think it's techinically in U-District, but may be borderline Ravenna. Right across the street from Ravenna Park. By google map, it's 1.6 miles from school. Right on the bus route. it will not be ready for move-in until August 21-- so this is for all you late arrivals!!

whoa! did you guys get the email with the WWAMI expansion plan? There's gonna be a site in Spokane!!

That's actually pretty cool. More spots for the Washington applicants!

does the school give us stethescopes at our so-called stethescope "ceremony"? Or do we buy our own and they present it to us, ceremonially?

and how many of you guys have started/finished Mountains?

for those who've already found housing (so your answers won't be otherwise motivated), how much is reasonable rent for a room in a house in U-District or Ravenna? My parents are trying to rent out 2 unfurnished rooms-- not sure what size yet, but one is bigger than the other. They are in a 3 bedroom house on the 5700 block of 25th street (campus starts about 4500 block). It's about 1.6 miles from the medical school. I've been browsing craiglist, and it seems that prices have gone down, but then again I don't know the conditions of these $350-400 rooms. They could be crappy. And how much can we expect heating to cost in the winter?

ahumdinger said:
does the school give us stethescopes at our so-called stethescope "ceremony"? Or do we buy our own and they present it to us, ceremonially?

The alumni association present us with stethescopes so no need to buy one.

titoincali said:
The alumni association present us with stethescopes so no need to buy one.

weee!! Hope it's not this one 'cause I've already got that. :laugh:

ahumdinger said:

The school's alumni association gives you a stethoscope that is perfectly fine and functional.

Hey everyone, I'm sure you all have been getting emails about textbooks. Does anyone know where I can find an actual official list of the books we're going to need?

Boney said:
Hey everyone, I'm sure you all have been getting emails about textbooks. Does anyone know where I can find an actual official list of the books we're going to need?

Don't worry I found it

What are you guys doing about a computer? I have a mac I love that works great so I hate the idea of getting a new PC. But, if a tablet is really helpful I'll get one in a heart beat (I have a feeling I'm going to need all the help I can get). Any advice?

sparkysgirl said:
What are you guys doing about a computer? I have a mac I love that works great so I hate the idea of getting a new PC. But, if a tablet is really helpful I'll get one in a heart beat (I have a feeling I'm going to need all the help I can get). Any advice?

I should be getting my Fujitsu T4210 Tablet PC in a few days. It seems to me that the greatest benefit of the tablet is the ability to organize all your notes in one place (your computer) and organization is a weak point for me. Also you can record lectures and synch your handwritten notes to what was being said at the time the particualr note was being written.

If you decide to go with tablet here are the brands that I was contemplating:

Toshiba
Lenovo
Fujitsu

some others brands:

HP/compaq
Gateway
Acer

If anybody else has any comments about tablets and other things you can do with them, I would appreciate it.

Fishy-Cracker said:
I should be getting my Fujitsu T4210 Tablet PC in a few days. It seems to me that the greatest benefit of the tablet is the ability to organize all your notes in one place (your computer) and organization is a weak point for me. Also you can record lectures and synch your handwritten notes to what was being said at the time the particualr note was being written.

If you decide to go with tablet here are the brands that I was contemplating:

Toshiba
Lenovo
Fujitsu

some others brands:

HP/compaq
Gateway
Acer

If anybody else has any comments about tablets and other things you can do with them, I would appreciate it.
I'm definitly getting a macbook (MB) or Macbook Pro (MBP). Depends on what happens during WWDC on August 7th-11th, and if there are Merom updates I'll buy the MBP or MB. I would prefer the MB as of right now...

Its all a matter of when I am getting this machine to replace my clunky 17" laptop.

sparks-- I am in your same situation. I also have a mac that I love and would rather not spend the extra cash on something that will crash on me every 2 seconds. I was seriously considering the thinkpad, but I wasn't sure on the accuracy of the handwriting recognition and whether I would end up having HUGE notes (a la microsoft paint or something) that are hard to read. i figured, either way, i would have to get used to taking notes on a laptop in class, so I decided to stick with learning how to do that efficiently with my mac. Speaking of which, is there a program that allows me to directly edit (via text boxes maybe?) pdf files? I am anticipating some class notes in pdf format and it's not so easy taking notes on those, compared to powerpoint. Do I just have to get the fancy schmancy adobe?

I had also been thinking about getting the Lenovo tablet as my laptop. But I ended up getting a Lenovo z61t. It is a pretty cool laptop with a widescreen display. I decided against the tablet because I didn't know how long it would last and if I would just end up using it as a "normal" laptop in the end.

I also do have Adobe CS2 on my laptop. But, as a student at the UW, you can purchase all the software that you need at a discounted price. So when you get your id card during orientation, you will be able to buy the software at the discounted price. And you save quite a bit!

MissJ said:
I had also been thinking about getting the Lenovo tablet as my laptop. But I ended up getting a Lenovo z61t. It is a pretty cool laptop with a widescreen display. I decided against the tablet because I didn't know how long it would last and if I would just end up using it as a "normal" laptop in the end.

I also do have Adobe CS2 on my laptop. But, as a student at the UW, you can purchase all the software that you need at a discounted price. So when you get your id card during orientation, you will be able to buy the software at the discounted price. And you save quite a bit!
Hi MissJ, It seems that Adobe CS2 is just a collection of all the adobe softwares which make adobe famous, no? For me I pretty much only use Adobe acrobat... Can you edit PDF's with some other program? :confused:

I think I've decided to go for a black macbook!

I got the Lenovo X41 tablet and it is awesome! The handwriting recognition is excellent and only "U" gives me a little trouble sometime because you have to write it with a leg on one side of it (like "u"). Otherwise, a great system. I would recommend getting this computer.

adiddas125 said:
Hi MissJ, It seems that Adobe CS2 is just a collection of all the adobe softwares which make adobe famous, no? For me I pretty much only use Adobe acrobat... Can you edit PDF's with some other program? :confused:

I think I've decided to go for a black macbook!
I found this link in wikipedia for fre pdf editing software:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_PDF_software

I am sure that if you did more searching for open source applications that can edit pdfs, you will find something. I know that some other genius out there got tired of having to buy adobe and made a program of their own that works wonders.

And that is cool about the macbook. I was also thinking about getting a macbook pro before I went for the lenovo.

MissJ said:
I found this link in wikipedia for fre pdf editing software:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_PDF_software

I am sure that if you did more searching for open source applications that can edit pdfs, you will find something. I know that some other genius out there got tired of having to buy adobe and made a program of their own that works wonders.

And that is cool about the macbook. I was also thinking about getting a macbook pro before I went for the lenovo.
Thanks for the heads up! I am kinda still in sticker shock after looking at the prices for Adobe products. I was debating over the MB or MBP, but there are so many unresolved issues with the MBP (over heating, whining, unacceptable amounts of thermal paste, aluminum case denting.... etc...) that I decided to go with the MB.

I dont need an expansion slot, a back lit keyboard, firewire 800... I do think extra screen real estate would be nice though, but this debate that I constantly have needs to end.. MB or MBP! :laugh:

adiddas125 said:
Thanks for the heads up! I am kinda still in sticker shock after looking at the prices for Adobe products. I was debating over the MB or MBP, but there are so many unresolved issues with the MBP (over heating, whining, unacceptable amounts of thermal paste, aluminum case denting.... etc...) that I decided to go with the MB.

I dont need an expansion slot, a back lit keyboard, firewire 800... I do think extra screen real estate would be nice though, but this debate that I constantly have needs to end.. MB or MBP! :laugh:
Maybe this is a "stupid" question, but are you going to buy the laptop through the UW bookstore? If not, you should. :D

MissJ said:
Maybe this is a "stupid" question, but are you going to buy the laptop through the UW bookstore? If not, you should. :D
Nope. I hate buying things through the bookstore. Recently about 3 weeks ago, they had a special for the MBP 1.83Ghz for the same price as a Black Macbook... But Their return policy seriously sucks, and it is a pain. Even if you do end up getting a return in your favor, it is a store credit... (this is from past experience with them...)

Im gonna go through apple's website and use the educational disco, and get the free nano, and free printer deal. Ill be getting $279 worth of stuff for "free".

Hello fellow E' 06ers!!! I was wondering if anyone plans to head to UW from California August 20th or shortly thereafter ( but before orientation on the 28th)? I would love to split gas for a uhaul or minivan :). Please pm if interested or know someone who is heading up to Seattle too and maybe interested. Thank you!!!

adiddas125 said:
Nope. I hate buying things through the bookstore. Recently about 3 weeks ago, they had a special for the MBP 1.83Ghz for the same price as a Black Macbook... But Their return policy seriously sucks, and it is a pain. Even if you do end up getting a return in your favor, it is a store credit... (this is from past experience with them...)

Im gonna go through apple's website and use the educational disco, and get the free nano, and free printer deal. Ill be getting $279 worth of stuff for "free".

Free stuff is always good, no matter where you get it from. :D

How hard is it to get paper copies of slides? Is it really that bad to take hand written notes?

sparkysgirl said:
How hard is it to get paper copies of slides? Is it really that bad to take hand written notes?

I may end up doing that, i'm just so used to taking notes on paper. But it will be a LOT of paper, which will just get dumped one day.

hey it seems like there's new people posting on this thread, or at least people who are coming back after a long hiatus. I wlll give my little advertisement again then:

I have 1 bedroom for rent in a 3 bed/2.5 bath house in U District. It is only 1.6 miles from school and right on the bus route too. If you've gotten your school email already, i already sent an email to the list, otherwise it is posted on the housing website too that daniel set up. The room is unfurnished, rent is 500 not including utilities. You will be sharing the house with me (girl) and another classmate (boy). Move in is august 21 or later.

akuwno--

if you don't have that much stuff to move to seattle, and you already know where you're gonna live, I'd recommend mailing stuff through the post office. I shipped some 30 boxes through the mail from st. louis 'cause it would have been a fortune to rent a van to move from st. louis. I also had a car to move, so I just shipped most of it and then packed the trunk of my car. Shipping books is especially cheap!!

Anyone getting a laptop that uses a SATA interface hard drive? (Calling all macbooks!)

I plan on upgrading my hard drive once I get it in the mail. Would anyone be interested in upgrading their current HDD to 80 gb?

PM me if you're interested.

Im from Dillon, MT but attending UCLA for undergrad, but I really want to return to the montana area for med school (i miss it :( ). I had a few questions on the WWAMI program. Could you tell me how competitve it is (ie if you know avg mcats/gpas) and how the process works?
Thanks in advance for your time!

kcdiener said:
Hey is anyone here a Montana resident? I am going to be in Bozeman next year if you are!!!! and I can't wait to meet some of my classmates :p

I need a roommate too.....female preferrably:)