University of Washington Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
question: is the PAC (personal access code) given on that mailer from the registrar that asked us to send $100? Or is that just the "Enrollment Confirmation Instructions?" Do I have to wait for the Enrollment Confirmation ACKNOWLEDGMENT in order to set up my email? Since I got off the waitlist, I don't know how behind I am on all the post-acceptance mail.

Members don't see this ad.

ahumdinger said:
question: is the PAC (personal access code) given on that mailer from the registrar that asked us to send $100? Or is that just the "Enrollment Confirmation Instructions?" Do I have to wait for the Enrollment Confirmation ACKNOWLEDGMENT in order to set up my email? Since I got off the waitlist, I don't know how behind I am on all the post-acceptance mail.
I'm pretty sure it comes on the acknowledgement, I know I got it about 2 weeks after most of the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
moinmoin said:
You'll get it after you've sent in your deposit. I just got mine yesterday in the mail. If you want your PAC though, you can call the school and ask for it. I did that before I got mine in the mail. I'm not sure what the phone number is though; you'll find it as you try to log on to MyUW probably.

$100 deposit? I don't remember doing that. when did they ask you to pay the deposit? I received the Enrollment Confirmation Instructions to set up email and myuw long time ago, but never get the request to send in the deposit.

also, did any of you receive the June mailer package yet?

aspiringdoctor said:
$100 deposit? I don't remember doing that. when did they ask you to pay the deposit? I received the Enrollment Confirmation Instructions to set up email and myuw long time ago, but never get the request to send in the deposit.

they did not ask me to send in a deposit either. It may be a waitlist thing, but i don't know for sure.

I did recieve a packet last week, but it was short term loan information for WWAMI students (because we start on 8/14/06 here at WSU/UI and might need some cash to by books etc... a few weeks before financial aid is disbursed in september)

Fishy-Cracker said:
they did not ask me to send in a deposit either. It may be a waitlist thing, but i don't know for sure.

I did recieve a packet last week, but it was short term loan information for WWAMI students (because we start on 8/14/06 here at WSU/UI and might need some cash to by books etc... a few weeks before financial aid is disbursed in september)

hi Fishy-cracker, that's all I received so far, too. thanks for clarifying that.

$145 a month!! 1 1/2 blocks from campus, the #48 will take you straight to Health Sciences, water & utilities included, available July 1st.

GREAT DEAL! The catch? You must be FEMALE and an EOP student. Don't know what EOP is? Then you probably aren't a member, so please don't respond and ask.

(Side Note: The only reason I'm giving this up is because UW rejected me, so I'll be attending medical school in either NY or Miami next year.)

If interested, contact [email protected]

aspiringdoctor said:

I agree. I paid $0 dollars to the UW so far. I am very confused?

adiddas125 said:
I agree. I paid $0 dollars to the UW so far. I am very confused?

Speaking of money, is anyone else more than a little worried about living on the budget that they set in our financial aid calculations? Yikes.

aspiringdoctor said:
hi Fishy-cracker, that's all I received so far, too. thanks for clarifying that.

I talked with the UI WWAMI folks last week and they said that the WSU/UI people should be getting a package soon. They said they are mailing them on the 16th, so we should get them next week.

Does UW have "preferred lenders" for our federal loans? Does anyone know how this works. This is my first time taking out loans and I have no idea how this all works. Thanks in advance!

4176 said:
I talked with the UI WWAMI folks last week and they said that the WSU/UI people should be getting a package soon. They said they are mailing them on the 16th, so we should get them next week.

I've just received my June package today. there are tons of paperwork need to be done by July 7.

Gosh, Anyone watching the world cup??? I love this so much!

Italy played a real dirty game against the US, and I think that the cards against the US were not justified. I hope they advance.

Todays game with Korea and France... wow... thats all I can say!

Members don't see this ad :)
adiddas125 said:
Gosh, Anyone watching the world cup??? I love this so much!

Italy played a real dirty game against the US, and I think that the cards against the US were not justified. I hope they advance.

Todays game with Korea and France... wow... thats all I can say!

I love the Italy-USA game yesterday, the USA team played really well. I hate the referee, he really ruined the game, the yellow card that he gave Pope in 2nd half is not justified at all. I hope we win Ghana, so we can have a chance to advance forward.

I agree, addidas, about the game today between Korea and France, Korean team played really well.

Has anyone taken it at HMC? What did you guys think?

thanks, :)

moinmoin said:
I was physically drained after watching the Italy match...I can only imagine how tired the actual American players must have been. If only McBride hadn't been in the way on that Beasley goal; I would have loved to see the faces of Italy had the US won. Have any of you read Michael Davies' world cup diary on espn.com? It's pretty funny. He reported minute by minute of the Italy match. The best comment: "9:06 p.m: Minute 1: First Italian whine within 10 seconds." Here's the website if anyone's interested: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=davies/060617
I really think that cheap shot on McBride was indicative of the Italian team. They havent played really cleanly against other teams. (sorry if I am pissing off any Italian(s) + Italian fans) I do think they will easily coast into the round of 16. Are there any surprises for you all? I am surprised by Iran's two loses, and that the Aussies put up a decent fight against the Brazilians. It goes to show you that Brazil isnt as invincible as people have been commenting on.

Anyone going to any rallys? I'm going to one this Friday, when Korea plays the Swiss. Of course the Red Devils will win! My prediction, 2-0.

My bracket looks like this...

Group A
1. Germany
2. Ecuador

Group B
1. England
2. Sweden

Group C
1. Netherlands
2. Argentina

Group D
1. Mexico
2. Iran

Group E
1. Italy
2. Ghana

Group F
1. Brazil
2. Croatia

Group G
1. Korea
2. France

Group H
1. Spain
2. Saudi Arabia

Seagal said:
Has anyone taken it at HMC? What did you guys think?

thanks, :)
Im taking the BLS Class at HMC soon. Are you thinking about doing it? I'll let you know how it goes

thanks Addidas.

For those who will be in Seattle, have you guys already found a place? (Sorry if this is a repeat) Does anyone have a long commute? Like 30-40 mins? We are trying to balance distance/commute with a nice place to live.

I haven't found a place to live yet. My parents are interested in purchasing property in Seattle, so I will be looking for roommates! They have been looking mainly north of campus, but they are not sure of the commute time. Some places they've looked are as far as 125th street. Is that a long commute? I am still in St. Louis, so I have not been participating on the househunt. Ideally I'd like to keep my travel time to 15-20 minutes. Seagal, where are you and your husband looking?

15-20 min commute sounds great ahumdinger. We are looking towards lake forest park/ballinger, shoreline and around those areas. The houses around there are pretty pricey. :eek:

Any thoughts on whether 15-20 mins extra should be a great factor in evaluating houses? We would probably be staying there for at least 4-7 years.

Hey guys,
when you're talking about commute time are you planning on driving or taking the bus? If you're looking at the bus a great tool is the metro trip planner, you can put in any two addresses and it will tell you what bus to take, and about how long the commute will be. Here's the link: http://tripplanner.metrokc.gov

sparkysgirl said:
Hey guys,
when you're talking about commute time are you planning on driving or taking the bus? If you're looking at the bus a great tool is the metro trip planner, you can put in any two addresses and it will tell you what bus to take, and about how long the commute will be. Here's the link: http://tripplanner.metrokc.gov

hey sparkysgirl, thanks for the link! my dad keeps asking me how long it would take from points A, B, and C to school by bus, as if I'm some expert, having never lived in seattle! This will definitely come in handy, as I am considering not having a car at school.

ahumdinger said:
hey sparkysgirl, thanks for the link! my dad keeps asking me how long it would take from points A, B, and C to school by bus, as if I'm some expert, having never lived in seattle! This will definitely come in handy, as I am considering not having a car at school.

On the housing note, I'm hoping to live in the Capital Hill area, and would love 1-2 other roommates. I'd be happy to live with people of any gender, and am really looking for people who like a school/life balance - I'm sure we'll all be studying a lot, but it would be nice to live with people who also like going out, having people over, exploring Seattle, etc. PM me if you're interested!

Hey folks,

For those of you looking for housing, my space in the house I share with 3 others is coming available. It's really nice -- next to University Village (nice shopping area w/Safeway and QFC), 10 minutes on the Burke Gilman (paved bike trail) from UW, or 5 minute bus (stop outside of house), built in the 1930s but renovated, with hardwood floors and lots of light and space. My roommates are super cool -- a cello-playing software engineer, a dental student who likes working on cars/motorcycles, and an artist/neuroscience PhD student. You would be sharing the upstairs (your own bedroom) with the artist/PhD student. $425/month + utilities and deposit. PM me if you are interested!

omg, like, facebook merging is the best thing since sliced bread. who's got a facebook profile and who's just as excited about merging two profiles together?

ahumdinger said:
omg, like, facebook merging is the best thing since sliced bread. who's got a facebook profile and who's just as excited about merging two profiles together?
I have one! Whats yours? Anyone else have one? PM me and I'll add you!

has anyone taken the CPR course at Cascade Training Center? I need to sign up for a class in August, so the Harborview phone number does not give the schedule yet, so I was thinking of taking at at Cascade. What's the deal on the "suggested textbook?" Is it just suggested? I don't want to pay $12 for it if I don't really need it.

Gripe Post:

I officially hate Hall Health. So I've been trying to set up an appt for an immunization record review (I always have issues with my TB test, so I wanted to discuss it in person and bring in all my records) and I emailed myshots or whatever the email was, and i got an auto reply that said for me to call and leave a message to set up an appt, and give my best times to come in. So I did that. And never heard back, but then I did get an email reply from a nurse at Hall Health to say that she had set me up for August 1 at 10:30. I distinctly said in my phone message that after August 3, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt (maybe she didn't listen to voicemail) and wrote back with a nice explanation about how I'm moving back to Washington from St. Louis on July 31 (and emphasized DRIVING!) and that after August 3 would be best. I even said that I would be in Seattle on August 7 for cpr training so an appt that day would be super.

So what kind of response do I get? an email saying that she's scheduled me for August 2 at 930am. Great. Thanks for accommodating my request. How long does she think it takes to drive from St. Louis to Washington? Not to mention, I have to drive up from Longview WA at 7am. Did she miss the "after august 3?" Is it just me or are all student health centers notoriously horrible?

by the way, where did everyone go on this thread? I feel like I'm talking to myself.

ahumdinger said:
Gripe Post:

I officially hate Hall Health. So I've been trying to set up an appt for an immunization record review (I always have issues with my TB test, so I wanted to discuss it in person and bring in all my records) and I emailed myshots or whatever the email was, and i got an auto reply that said for me to call and leave a message to set up an appt, and give my best times to come in. So I did that. And never heard back, but then I did get an email reply from a nurse at Hall Health to say that she had set me up for August 1 at 10:30. I distinctly said in my phone message that after August 3, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt (maybe she didn't listen to voicemail) and wrote back with a nice explanation about how I'm moving back to Washington from St. Louis on July 31 (and emphasized DRIVING!) and that after August 3 would be best. I even said that I would be in Seattle on August 7 for cpr training so an appt that day would be super.

So what kind of response do I get? an email saying that she's scheduled me for August 2 at 930am. Great. Thanks for accommodating my request. How long does she think it takes to drive from St. Louis to Washington? Not to mention, I have to drive up from Longview WA at 7am. Did she miss the "after august 3?" Is it just me or are all student health centers notoriously horrible?

by the way, where did everyone go on this thread? I feel like I'm talking to myself.
Goodness. Thats seriously not fun! I havent had the best response with them when I got food poisoning last year. I would try and call again and see if you can get it changed. Driving from longview Washington is not fun. Its a long drive with nothing to really see at all.

So are you driving all the way from MO? I would imagine you would need some sort of rental moving vehicle to move all your stuff, no?

ahumdinger said:
Gripe Post:

they are a bit unorganized. I was scheduled for two appointments, one of which is on the 9th. I haven't canceled it but maybe you can take that one. The email lady schedules it early. When i called to schedule they scheduled it late. Strange. Email me if you have questions.

adiddas125 said:
Goodness. Thats seriously not fun! I havent had the best response with them when I got food poisoning last year. I would try and call again and see if you can get it changed. Driving from longview Washington is not fun. Its a long drive with nothing to really see at all.

So are you driving all the way from MO? I would imagine you would need some sort of rental moving vehicle to move all your stuff, no?

longview to Seattle isn't that bad. only 2 hours. I'm used to driving from stl to chicago, so it's short in comparison (and driving through illinois is DEFINITELY boring). But the 930 appt times does me I have to get up early.

I'm driving with my mom from st. louis to Longview, a drive that my mom has done twice!! So she's the veteran and hopefully I can convince her to do most of the driving. I'm a huge packrat, but I'm trying to get over it, and sell/throw out most of my stuff and just have books and clothes to bring home. definitely not enough to fill a rental truck. So depending on how many boxes I end up with, I might ship some and drive the rest back. I'm driving my dog too so she takes up a lot of storage space.

titoincali said:
they are a bit unorganized. I was scheduled for two appointments, one of which is on the 9th. I haven't canceled it but maybe you can take that one. The email lady schedules it early. When i called to schedule they scheduled it late. Strange. Email me if you have questions.

were you actually able to get ahold of someone on the phone? I will try to call again, i guess.

The drive from Longview to Seattle sucks with Thanksgiving traffic. It took me 4.5 hours! :rolleyes:

You know on the note about books... I was arranging my books the other day and I still have my darn physics book. I even thought about bringing that book with me to med school, I was thinking it might be nice for reference. Then I woke up.

adiddas125 said:
The drive from Longview to Seattle sucks with Thanksgiving traffic. It took me 4.5 hours! :rolleyes:

You know on the note about books... I was arranging my books the other day and I still have my darn physics book. I even thought about bringing that book with me to med school, I was thinking it might be nice for reference. Then I woke up.

haha! yeah, textbooks become obsolete so fast since they keep coming out with newer editions. Always sell your textbooks as soon as you're done with them! if you list them now on Amazon or Half.com, you may still be able to sell it! When I graduated from college I sold a bunch of my texts and luckily they were still useful to others, it's a quick few hundred bucks!

I'd keep trying to get the woman on the phone, once you talk to her she's pretty nice. And depending on the time of day you can get stuck in rush hour traffic coming from Longview (Tacoma and Seattle). I'd probably give yourself 3 hours, but that would be hanging pretty close to the speed limit. I have to say I think it's so funny everyone is talking about Longview Washington. I have family down there, but who knew so many people even knew it existed? :)

sparkysgirl said:
I'd keep trying to get the woman on the phone, once you talk to her she's pretty nice. And depending on the time of day you can get stuck in rush hour traffic coming from Longview (Tacoma and Seattle). I'd probably give yourself 3 hours, but that would be hanging pretty close to the speed limit. I have to say I think it's so funny everyone is talking about Longview Washington. I have family down there, but who knew so many people even knew it existed? :)
I have family down there too! Oh by the ways Mariners.. 2 games back and a game over .500! They've been on a roll lately.

adiddas125 said:
I have family down there too! Oh by the ways Mariners.. 2 games back and a game over .500! They've been on a roll lately.
I know it's wonderful!

sparkysgirl said:
I know it's wonderful!

I'm all for Longview, but this I cannot handle! I'll always be a cards fan, even if they've been sucking lately. (but hey, pujols is back!!)

regarding hall health...funniest thing...so remember when I said she changed it to august 2? Well the email said, "tuesday, august 2" so I wrote back asking, is august 2 a tuesday? (NO!) and she writes back, "oh, sorry for the confusion, I've scheduled you for tuesday, august 2." Back to square 1!! but luckily I just forwarded to her the email I sent already, saying that I preferred the 7th, so now I've landed myself a 9am (eek!) appt for the 7th. But the good thing is that I'll only have to make 1 trip for the shots, the CPR, and if I'm lucky, squeeze in a class photo too!

by the way, I am surprised you all have family in Longview! Are any of them physicians? my dad would probably know them!

moinmoin said:
...now if we could only beat Oakland at least one time. Oh, and go Germany tomorrow!

victory deutschland!

Is the "family day" picnic thing at Pullman aimed at spouses and kids or do students bring their parents? I feel a little silly inviting my folks to see me off to professional school.

Oh, and is anybody here going to live in the Moscow WWAMI house?

EvolutionKills said:
Is the "family day" picnic thing at Pullman aimed at spouses and kids or do students bring their parents? I feel a little silly inviting my folks to see me off to professional school.

I am bringing my wife and two kids to the afternoon picnic, but only my wife to the lunch in the middle of orientation. I am sure it is normal to invite parents along to orientation, though

EvolutionKills said:

EvolutionKills,
I am with you on the feeling weird about inviting my folks to see me off to professional school. I am sure that some people will invite their parents, but I'm not going to because I feel weird about it and my parents live a ways away from Moscow/Pullman.

EvolutionKills said:

I will be living in the co-ed WWAMI house in Moscow (I believe there is also another one strictly for women).

hey, are we for sure doing the 4 weeks of just anatomy again this year? When I interviewed, a student told me that this past year was the 1st run, and it got mixed reviews, and it was still uncertain whether they will repeat it or go back to the old schedule. has it been decided?

I work with an M2, and from him it sounded like they were sticking with starting with pure anatomy (he said 5 weeks though). But, he is no official source by any means. Personally, I have mixed feelings about it. I understand the arguement that we will get more out of the other 1st quarter classes, and that after anatomy the rest of the fall won't seem that bad. But, a month to learn all the anatomy is pretty crazy. If anyone has any official news I'd love to hear it too.