Unpaid Research During OMS-1 Summer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getfat

IM Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a unique situation and wanted to get your thoughts on it.

So I applied for a summer research grant with an MD school in the area. Have everything set up (Timeline, materials, research aims, etc) but sadly did not win the grant. The PI still wants me to do the summer research but obviously it won't be paid, and I'm not sure how I can submit a research paper or a student presentation for a conference if I didn't win a grant.

As a DO student, I'm sure there have been others that have been a similar situation. What did you end of doing? Was it even worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see why lacking grant funding prevents you from submitting research for publication. All the research I do in school is unpaid, no grants, and it's never been a problem with submitting or publishing research.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree, research money is to fund the actual research being done, including wages. If the PI is able to get the research funded, then it is being done. Publishing is a different matter independent of funding. Ask the PI what are the chances of getting published.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I have a unique situation and wanted to get your thoughts on it.

So I applied for a summer research grant with an MD school in the area. Have everything set up (Timeline, materials, research aims, etc) but sadly did not win the grant. The PI still wants me to do the summer research but obviously it won't be paid, and I'm not sure how I can submit a research paper or a student presentation for a conference if I didn't win a grant.

As a DO student, I'm sure there have been others that have been a similar situation. What did you end of doing? Was it even worth it?
This is nonsense. You don't get authorship on research because you have a grant, you get it for doing the work.

Do the research if it's interesting and you're gunning for a research-loving specialty.

Yeah getting paid doesn’t have anything to do with submitting research. Get the projects done, get a pub or two, some posters, and profit as you fill the old CV.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't see why lacking grant funding prevents you from submitting research for publication. All the research I do in school is unpaid, no grants, and it's never been a problem with submitting or publishing research.

Appreciate the insight. I have zero research background so I was unsure exactly what I would do in regards to who I should write the research for.

The grant was essentially presenting at a conference. So I was unsure if I would submit to journals with similar focus (hematology) or who I should try submitting my prospective work to once I have the data.

Agree, research money is to fund the actual research being done, including wages. If the PI is able to get the research funded, then it is being done. Publishing is a different matter independent of funding. Ask the PI what are the chances of getting published.
Will do thanks for the insight!

This is nonsense. You don't get authorship on research because you have a grant, you get it for doing the work.

Do the research if it's interesting and you're gunning for a research-loving specialty.

Will do! Thanks for the insight! I was just unsure how I should go about trying to get published. The grant was hematology focused. So I was unsure if I should just start focusing on submitting the completed work to a hematology journal or a student research day in the next year. The work is in an another lab (MD school) so I'm not sure if I can submit work done at another school for my school's research day.

Have zero background in research so was just unsure so I thought I'd ask some people on here because I'm sure a couple med students have had a similar scenario.

Appreciate the insight. I have zero research background so I was unsure exactly what I would do in regards to who I should write the research for.

The grant was essentially presenting at a conference. So I was unsure if I would submit to journals with similar focus (hematology) or who I should try submitting my prospective work to once I have the data.

You can still submit to the conference. Do the project and then submit it towards the readers of Hematology journals. I’m assuming that’s what the field is because you mentioned it but if it isn’t then write it towards the readers of whatever journals in X specialty. You can only submit to one journal at a time.

And yes you absolutely can submit it to yours school’s research day because you are a student at the school. At least that’s what I would do until someone told me I couldn’t lol.

Will do! Thanks for the insight! I was just unsure how I should go about trying to get published. The grant was hematology focused. So I was unsure if I should just start focusing on submitting the completed work to a hematology journal or a student research day in the next year. The work is in an another lab (MD school) so I'm not sure if I can submit work done at another school for my school's research day.

Have zero background in research so was just unsure so I thought I'd ask some people on here because I'm sure a couple med students have had a similar scenario.
If you have publishable data that tells a story, your PI submits it for publication in a relevant journal, not you. You get to be an author on the paper, and perhaps write up parts of it.

Why wouldn't your school allow you to have a poster on YOUR research? My school is fine with it with our version of poster day...I've had plenty of student go work elsewhere and publish there data with a poster.

your PI submits it for publication in a relevant journal, not you

Just to note, this doesn't have to be the case. I am submitting my own projects for publish and the PI is just there for guidance and is the last author. Our PI gives us a lot of freedom though so that probably isn't the norm.

You need to speak with the PI about expectations and logistics before you waste your time. Most likely indirectly, you need to find out if this person publishes often and knows what they are doing when it comes to med student involved research essentially. Does your PI understand that you are looking for mentorship and his experience/resources or just someone to "do" the actual research?

You need to speak with the PI about expectations and logistics before you waste your time. Most likely indirectly, you need to find out if this person publishes often and knows what they are doing when it comes to med student involved research essentially. Does your PI understand that you are looking for mentorship and his experience/resources or just someone to "do" the actual research?

So that was initially the plan before I received news that my grant money wasn't coming in. What you mentioned was one thing I was concerned about. I don't have any lab money so I would essentially be using the PIs equipment and grant money (for material). I emailed him asking him essentially this question so we will see.

You get publications by working hard and getting interesting data. Not like getting a job at McDs where you submit an application and the next day you are on fries. It is not something you can just get overnight. Hopefully your summer research will be fruitful but you may just end up with a poster - nothing wrong with that.

You get publications by working hard and getting interesting data. Not like getting a job at McDs where you submit an application and the next day you are on fries. It is not something you can just get overnight. Hopefully your summer research will be fruitful but you may just end up with a poster - nothing wrong with that.
Also, it may take awhile to get a good paper published depending on where the PI is in the process. I guess your PI could submit to a no-name journal and pay and exorbitant fee to get something out quick.