UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 to @shelbybro
Also, please please please, if you're doing the MCAT class, use it and work your tail off. There are too many people who stress about a 4.0 in the program. A 4.0 in the program does not salvage a terrible MCAT.

How many people do you think have maintained a 4.0 in this program, especially during the harder spring semester?
No idea about the numbers, but after that last renal exam I know quite a few people who lost their A's.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone explain the schedule to me? Does class really start in May? I'm a little worried about that because I'm planning on studying for the DAT this summer and take it and apply to dental school this summer I'm worried that I might not have time for it if the program starts in May

Can someone explain the schedule to me? Does class really start in May? I'm a little worried about that because I'm planning on studying for the DAT this summer and take it and apply to dental school this summer I'm worried that I might not have time for it if the program starts in May
In May you'll have some mandatory application workshops and Biostatistics. The workshops are solely graded on attendance and are mainly there to help you build/refine your application. Biostatistics is your first GPA course, as people prior to me have mentioned, so don't take it too lightly. That being said, it is an online class and if you do a few hours every week to understand that concepts that are presented in the modules, you should be good. You'll have weekly quizzes and assignments to do, so be sure you understand which concept is being covered during the weekly module. There is a final exam that you should study for, but you should do well if you have been keeping up weekly. I didn't really memorize for this class, because it's Biostatistics and you're better off knowing what's going in each analysis since it'll help you down the road when you're reading scientific papers and doing your own statistical analyses (I think it's a useful health professional skill to have).

Plenty of people did MCAT prep over the summer, and scored well, and balanced Biostats simultaneously, so it's 100% doable. Focus on your DAT mainly, but don't ignore Biostats because it is your first GPA class and you don't want to start the course off on a disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current Med Sci checking in and I am happy to answer some question here or if you want to PM me. I don't want to beat around the bush with anybody, cause I know how stressful this entire process is. If you are applying with a poor uGPA and are thinking that applying concurrently while doing well in this program (I'm talking all A's, 4.0 here) you basically have no chance of getting a Texas MD interview. If you're aiming for strictly MD, that's the harsh reality folks. My stats are uGPA 3.4 and MCAT 508, and I thought that some nice A's on courses like Cell Biology and Histology would really prove my point to the adcoms that I was ready for med school and would make up for my poor uGPA. Sad truth is that I didn't heed the advice of some of the people who posted here on my own class page, and pages before, that Med Sci's usefulness is maximized when you apply AFTER completing the program.

Now I'll say that if you would like to go to an OOS DO school or are aiming strictly for TCOM, you have a good shot at getting an interview at those places. TCOM is very well established medical school and I know people in this program who have done really well, some may even have a 4.0, and unfortunately did not receive an interview invite. But, TCOM does pay attention to your grades and does reward people with interview invites and that process also has no reason to it. I knew people with multiple B's who got interviews before people with straight A's. Just shows how crazy this medical school admission game is that someone who's proved themselves in a well renowned SMP doesn't get a single interview invite. Like some of the other Med Scis have posted before me, grades aren't the sole factor that decide if you get a interview/pulled off the waitlist/match, there's some magic formula that adcoms use to factor in a bunch of different things such as your EC's, LOR's, personal statement. But, grades are your gateway to getting a solid look by the adcoms in the first place. They're not going to waste their time on an applicant who doesn't have good grades and somehow wishes to "shine" through a personal statement. In the end, you're applying for medical school and you'll be taking tougher science courses than you took in undergrad, no matter where you went. Everyone knows that medical school is tough and you definitely need to show that you have a strong academic record to show adcoms that you definitely have the potential to succeed in the med school environment. So grades should be a #1 priority when applying and then come in the EC's, LOR's that decide if adcoms believe you have what it takes to get accepted.

Personally, I didn't find this program to be very challenging as many people in previous classes made it to be. I have maintained a 4.0, and I will say struggled during certain blocks/units of classes such as Anatomy and Physiology (also this was my first time taking both classes), but every single class is doable if you are able to 1) understand what exactly is written on the slides AND 2) memorize, memorize, memorize. Don't just prioritize memorizing if you are someone who can easily get mixed up by things, so go easy on yourself and understand what's the concept on the slides so you don't get a panic attack during the test if a few numbers or words are mixed up or paraphrased. I approached every class during Fall semester the same, methodical way, but Spring semester was challenging for me, because I had no experience in Anatomy and Physiology so I had to spend some more time grinding out the material. That being said, everything can be done and you can achieve a 4.0 if you adhere to those 2 points I mentioned before. You may be able to get away with not understanding some things and rote memorization during Fall semester, but know that for some systems in Physiology, like renal, you should take the time to understand the material being taught, because not all questions are memory recall.

My apologies for writing an essay, but I thought I'd like to share some insight into the program, cause it sure did help me when I was applying. If anybody wants me to provide some more details regarding the program, I'm happy to share.

Thanks for the fantastic response and the reality check. Since the average admitted applicant in med sci has a gpa of 3.4, would you say the ones who received an acceptance without taking a gap year were for mostly DO schools?

Thanks for the fantastic response and the reality check. Since the average admitted applicant in med sci has a gpa of 3.4, would you say the ones who received an acceptance without taking a gap year were for mostly DO schools?
Yes.

Current Med Sci checking in and I am happy to answer some question here or if you want to PM me. I don't want to beat around the bush with anybody, cause I know how stressful this entire process is. If you are applying with a poor uGPA and are thinking that applying concurrently while doing well in this program (I'm talking all A's, 4.0 here) you basically have no chance of getting a Texas MD interview. If you're aiming for strictly MD, that's the harsh reality folks. My stats are uGPA 3.4 and MCAT 508, and I thought that some nice A's on courses like Cell Biology and Histology would really prove my point to the adcoms that I was ready for med school and would make up for my poor uGPA. Sad truth is that I didn't heed the advice of some of the people who posted here on my own class page, and pages before, that Med Sci's usefulness is maximized when you apply AFTER completing the program.

Now I'll say that if you would like to go to an OOS DO school or are aiming strictly for TCOM, you have a good shot at getting an interview at those places. TCOM is very well established medical school and I know people in this program who have done really well, some may even have a 4.0, and unfortunately did not receive an interview invite. But, TCOM does pay attention to your grades and does reward people with interview invites and that process also has no reason to it. I knew people with multiple B's who got interviews before people with straight A's. Just shows how crazy this medical school admission game is that someone who's proved themselves in a well renowned SMP doesn't get a single interview invite. Like some of the other Med Scis have posted before me, grades aren't the sole factor that decide if you get a interview/pulled off the waitlist/match, there's some magic formula that adcoms use to factor in a bunch of different things such as your EC's, LOR's, personal statement. But, grades are your gateway to getting a solid look by the adcoms in the first place. They're not going to waste their time on an applicant who doesn't have good grades and somehow wishes to "shine" through a personal statement. In the end, you're applying for medical school and you'll be taking tougher science courses than you took in undergrad, no matter where you went. Everyone knows that medical school is tough and you definitely need to show that you have a strong academic record to show adcoms that you definitely have the potential to succeed in the med school environment. So grades should be a #1 priority when applying and then come in the EC's, LOR's that decide if adcoms believe you have what it takes to get accepted.

Personally, I didn't find this program to be very challenging as many people in previous classes made it to be. I have maintained a 4.0, and I will say struggled during certain blocks/units of classes such as Anatomy and Physiology (also this was my first time taking both classes), but every single class is doable if you are able to 1) understand what exactly is written on the slides AND 2) memorize, memorize, memorize. Don't just prioritize memorizing if you are someone who can easily get mixed up by things, so go easy on yourself and understand what's the concept on the slides so you don't get a panic attack during the test if a few numbers or words are mixed up or paraphrased. I approached every class during Fall semester the same, methodical way, but Spring semester was challenging for me, because I had no experience in Anatomy and Physiology so I had to spend some more time grinding out the material. That being said, everything can be done and you can achieve a 4.0 if you adhere to those 2 points I mentioned before. You may be able to get away with not understanding some things and rote memorization during Fall semester, but know that for some systems in Physiology, like renal, you should take the time to understand the material being taught, because not all questions are memory recall.

My apologies for writing an essay, but I thought I'd like to share some insight into the program, cause it sure did help me when I was applying. If anybody wants me to provide some more details regarding the program, I'm happy to share.

This is 100% correct. I remember during my year the Texas A&M Dean told us that medical schools do not like to take risks. Just by having a few A's in the med sci program does not guarantee your success in medical school or prove that you can handle rigorous courses. By the time that the Fall semester ends (December), most Texas schools will be close to ending their interview cycles, and/or they have already selected applicants for the remainder of the interview invites. By the time these adcoms review your applications with your completed Fall grades, they may not be able to extend an interview to you. AND, they really want to see how you handle anatomy and physiology (the hardest courses).

Again, if your stats are poor prior to the med sci program and you want to go the MD route, wait until after the program to apply to maximize your odds.

The med scis who did wait to apply until after the program have been VERY successful. A number of them have been accepted to TCOM, Incarnate Word, Texas Tech, Long (UTHSCSA), UTRGV, Texas A&M, UT Southwestern (one person has been accepted for 2 consecutive years now), El Paso, McGovern, and out-of-state MD and DO schools. If you notice, med scis have been accepted to every medical school in Texas, except for Baylor and UTMB (I am only writing of med scis that I know about).

So, the choice is up to you. Do you wait to apply after the program to boost your credentials? Or, do you want to take a risk on applying early but get to become a doctor earlier if successful?

Again, this is all dependent on how you do in the program. The aforementioned med scis all had 3.7+ GPAs. IMO, SDN posters tend to be the ones who do well in the program. There are people who struggle very much during the program and get lower than a 3.5 GPA. With a lower GPA in the med sci program, this can actually HURT your chances at getting an admission. So, getting a 4.0 should be your top priority in this program. Remember that adcoms are watching very closely. If you have low stats, you need to show everyone that you can excel in medical school. I would also recommend volunteering during your time as a MSCSO member/officer to show that you can balance your time enough with your studies and still serve the community (that is why we all want to be doctors, right?). I made a post on last year's thread about how to get involved in leadership and volunteering while in the program.

Last edited:
Yes, most people that I know with the avg. GPA fared better with OOS DO schools, with some even TCOM. Bottom line is that with a GPA around 3.4 or around that range that is way below the median of the Texas MD schools uGPA, you're already at a significant disadvantage and need an entire years worth of successful coursework to show that you have what it takes to get into med school. Stats are always only going to rise since the competition only keeps increasing every year, so you want to take that into fact.

Just like Lumbosacral Trunk mentioned, make sure you give your 100% for this program. In the beginning you may find yourself stressing out a bit too much, but I promise you that once you figure out how to approach classes and how professors want you to learn the material, you'll feel a bit more relaxed since you know what's coming. Don't ever be in a situation where you find yourself settling for a C in class. That my friends, will be a death sentence (in adcoms perspective) in this program. Remember you're in this program cause you didn't know to how to study during college, or life happened, or whatever. Point is that you're in this program because you want to rectify the academic setbacks you had in college and Med Sci is giving you second opportunity. Take advantage of this program to not only prove it to med schools, but even to yourself that you can beast science classes and that what happened during undergrad doesn't reflect on your academic ability. The staff and professors try to help students as much as they can, but in the end you need to put in some work too. You've all worked so hard to commit yourselves to the medical route, so don't slack off and waste all the sacrifices you've made by getting bad grades in this course. Aim for the 4.0, and even if you don't get all A's, make sure most of your grades are A's with no C's.

@Lumbosacral Trunk Dang, UTSW two years running. I had no idea.

To add on to @shelbybro : The campus also has a learning center and they offer FREE tutoring for students that they believe it would benefit. If you're not feeling confident, or you're starting to fall behind, GET ONE.

@Lumbosacral Trunk Dang, UTSW two years running. I had no idea.

To add on to @shelbybro : The campus also has a learning center and they offer FREE tutoring for students that they believe it would benefit. If you're not feeling confident, or you're starting to fall behind, GET ONE.
Exactly. There's no shame in getting a tutor. I myself requested on when I was struggling like crazy for a particular block in anatomy and it helped tremendously. The people at the learning center are very chill and will help you out no matter what. Nobody cares if you got a tutor to get good grades, cause what shows up on the transcript is your final letter grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear back yet from UNT SMP? Or know when they will let us know?

ACCEPTED! Applied/completed 12/31
497 mcat (took it a long time ago have since retaken classes)
GPA: 3.1 with an upward trend

Reactions: 9 users
GOT ACCEPTED! Completed the LAST day 2/28, MCAT 503, GPA 3.3. Finally an acceptance! (Hopefully, I'll get off the waitlist soon from UTMB and UTRGV...) But there is still some hope guys!

Reactions: 6 users
Just out of curiosity, if (huge if) someone happens to get accepted to a school before the end of the program (for example in the fall term of the cycle), is it possible to step out of the program? In order to save on loans and such. Has it happened before?

I apologize if this has been asked before! I just haven’t seen it if it has been.

Just out of curiosity, if (huge if) someone happens to get accepted to a school before the end of the program (for example in the fall term of the cycle), is it possible to step out of the program? In order to save on loans and such. Has it happened before?

I apologize if this has been asked before! I just haven’t seen it if it has been.

A majority of the acceptances I've seen were conditional in the sense that they include the phrase "upon successful completion of your program" - I'm sure it has been done before, but I would definitely double check with the school that you've been accepted to, just to be safe.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if this program offers a committee letter when you are applying for medical school?

Anyone who got accepted for pre-dent?
Mind sharing your stats? I will be applying next cycle and would like to know where I stand

Got my question answered. They don't. Instead they give out individual letters of recommendation.

To add on to this, I've heard recommendations that you obtain at least 2 letters from faculty of the program. They will be the best at stating your academic abilities in a very objective manner. (However, if it turns out that you already have 2 phenomenal letters from other sources and a great physician letter, it'd be fine to just get a single faculty letter)

There's no guarantee that you will be accepted into TCOM or any other Texas school if you do well in this program - but I personally think your chances in general are much improved. If you wish to have the security then the other program might be a better option, but I think if you apply broadly and early enough, you'll find success.

There seems to be a consistent theme in this sdn forum to apply early to improve chances. (Which I totally understand. Earlier = less applications submitted = less competition for interviews). I went to the My HSCday event and the speakers proposed to hold off on applying until way late into the cycle so that the application workshops on essays/etc can be utilized. The way they said it was like - UNTHSC MedSci is special/reputable and schools will treat this program as such and will give you consideration as a later applicant because they will see MedSci grades roll in/etc/etc/etc. And people have regretted not utilizing the workshops by applying early. So in all honesty, is it better to submit earlier or later.....???? Especially for people who are going to end up taking the MCAT course like I am.

The med scis who did wait to apply until after the program have been VERY successful. A number of them have been accepted to TCOM, Incarnate Word, Texas Tech, Long (UTHSCSA), UTRGV, Texas A&M, UT Southwestern (one person has been accepted for 2 consecutive years now), El Paso, McGovern, and out-of-state MD and DO schools. If you notice, med scis have been accepted to every medical school in Texas, except for Baylor and UTMB (I am only writing of med scis that I know about).

One person has been accepted 2 consecutive years?! You mean to say that this person was accepted, then rejected the acceptance, reapplied, then got accepted again??? Do you know why that person would do that since UTSW is already a difficult school to get accepted to? It would make sense to me that this person would've been accepted to plenty other places as well and wouldn't need to reapply.

There seems to be a consistent theme in this sdn forum to apply early to improve chances. (Which I totally understand. Earlier = less applications submitted = less competition for interviews). I went to the My HSCday event and the speakers proposed to hold off on applying until way late into the cycle so that the application workshops on essays/etc can be utilized. The way they said it was like - UNTHSC MedSci is special/reputable and schools will treat this program as such and will give you consideration as a later applicant because they will see MedSci grades roll in/etc/etc/etc. And people have regretted not utilizing the workshops by applying early. So in all honesty, is it better to submit earlier or later.....???? Especially for people who are going to end up taking the MCAT course like I am.

One person has been accepted 2 consecutive years?! You mean to say that this person was accepted, then rejected the acceptance, reapplied, then got accepted again??? Do you know why that person would do that since UTSW is already a difficult school to get accepted to? It would make sense to me that this person would've been accepted to plenty other places as well and wouldn't need to reapply.

Application workshops are going to be for people who are going to wait to apply until after they finish the program. Early timing>>>> a 1 hour class by princeton on writing your personal statement. You will not receive special treatment/consideration as youre applying. Most schools outside of TCOM do not look at your grades as they roll in throughout the semester (this has been confirmed by several different schools in Texas). You don't need to have your app submitted May 1st. but please do shoot for no later than July 1st. You will be reviewed in the order they receive. its okay to send your app while waiting for an MCAT score because at least they will be aware of your application with the score pending.

"AT least one student has been accepted to UTSW per year for the last 2 years. Not the same person."

Application workshops are going to be for people who are going to wait to apply until after they finish the program. Early timing>>>> a 1 hour class by princeton on writing your personal statement. You will not receive special treatment/consideration as youre applying. Most schools outside of TCOM do not look at your grades as they roll in throughout the semester (this has been confirmed by several different schools in Texas). You don't need to have your app submitted May 1st. but please do shoot for no later than July 1st. You will be reviewed in the order they receive. its okay to send your app while waiting for an MCAT score because at least they will be aware of your application with the score pending.

"AT least one student has been accepted to UTSW per year for the last 2 years. Not the same person."

I am a Medsci that applied after finishing the program (had a 4.0 in Medsci, below 3.3 uGPA, 513+ MCAT). I was accepted to an MD school in Texas. The people that waited to apply had a ton of success. We got interviews at A&M, Texas Tech Lubbock, UTMB, Long, UTRGV. We all matched at MD schools. It really does help if you wait. Remember, a good app gets you into a medical school, not an early app. Be sure, be through in your research for every school, plan your personal statement way ahead of time, work tirelessly on your secondaries, continue to work, volunteer when you apply.

I am a Medsci that applied after finishing the program (had a 4.0 in Medsci, below 3.3 uGPA, 513+ MCAT). I was accepted to an MD school in Texas. The people that waited to apply had a ton of success. We got interviews at A&M, Texas Tech Lubbock, UTMB, Long, UTRGV. We all matched at MD schools. It really does help if you wait. Remember, a good app gets you into a medical school, not an early app. Be sure, be through in your research for every school, plan your personal statement way ahead of time, work tirelessly on your secondaries, continue to work, volunteer when you apply.

Also, the above poster is correct. Make sure you turn in your app in May/early June. To make sure you have everything on time, plan weeks in advance. I did all that while in my last 2 months of med sci alongside studying. After an exam, I would go home and take a 2 hr nap and work on my personal statement every night. Every Sunday morning from 6 am to noon, I would work on my personal statement and essays for TMDSAS. It’s hard and painful, but if you want admission that’s what it takes

Hey guys, I'm new here. I have a question. I want to apply next year. Do y'all know how many people apply to the program every year and how many get accepted? I want to go to med school but my GPA is pretty low. I have no clue on how admission statistics for UNT post bacc. I really hope it's not crazily competitive like Tx med schools with 4800 applying and only 200 matriculating.
cGPA 3.504 sGPA 3.138 last 60 hours 3.5 MCAT 509.
Thanks and Gig'Em.

Hey guys, I'm new here. I have a question. I want to apply next year. Do y'all know how many people apply to the program every year and how many get accepted? I want to go to med school but my GPA is pretty low. I have no clue on how admission statistics for UNT post bacc. I really hope it's not crazily competitive like Tx med schools with 4800 applying and only 200 matriculating.
cGPA 3.504 sGPA 3.138 last 60 hours 3.5 MCAT 509.
Thanks and Gig'Em.

In previous years there's about 800-1000 applicants, of which 200-225 are accepted. Note that they are currently looking to expand. The maximum number of seats allotted is 250; however, this is for MedSci/CRM/Biotech combined... though there's like 3 CRM/Biotech in the current class of '18.

So there's about 200 MedSci students every year? Are there any links to these statistics?

That fb group looks to be filling up fast, anyone know how many spots are still open at this point?

So there's about 200 MedSci students every year? Are there any links to these statistics?

No link, just my personal experience as a current MedSci student.

That fb group looks to be filling up fast, anyone know how many spots are still open at this point?

I imagine that at this point a majority (est. 3/4) of the class is filled. However, I do know several people that were accepted in April and some in May. Note that this is only speculation.

No link, just my personal experience as a current MedSci student.

I imagine that at this point a majority (est. 3/4) of the class is filled. However, I do know several people that were accepted in April and some in May. Note that this is only speculation.
Good luck to everyone

For people who have graduated this program and done will with a sub 3.0 sGPA, how much would you say the program helped you gain acceptance into medical school?

After reading through this and previous years' threads, I'm still conflicted between this SMP and a post-bacc that will contribute to raising my uGPA. This SMP is by far much more cost-effective compared to other post-baccs and SMPs out there (even as an OOS resident).

Thanks!

I agree with aurarice. I think with your GPA, this program would be a waste of your time and money. I would encourage just spending a good amount of time studying for the MCAT. Also, as far as what your family wants, they're not the ones going to school, you are. Do what's best for you.

lol, sorry for spamming LMAO. MY family wants me to get a MS though. You think this program would be a waste for me? There are other benefits to the program beside gpa inflation, right? Are students with decent uGPAs in this program?

Why do your parents want you to get an MS? Just go to medschool and get an MD or DO...

The primary benefit of the program is to show medical schools that you can handle their rigor.
I know plenty of students with good GPAs but poor MCATs who decided to enter the program.

I applied to MD schools in Texas, and got rejected. OOS students have no chance at Texas MDs or DOS. I just didn't want to be out of school for another year. I guess if you said students with high GPAs were also in the program, then it can beneficial
Did you not apply to any other schools besides Texas?

Like Aurarice mentioned, this program is mainly for people with poor uGPA, but there are a handful that I also know of with high GPAs in this program. Given your 3.91 GPA (which is above the avg/median for Texas MD schools) I don't think you would benefit much from this program. What is your science (BCPM) GPA? Adcoms look at both overall uGPA and the BCPM GPA to determine if applicants have proved themselves in science courses, since you are applying to medical school and not a humanities graduate course.

Avg and median MCAT scores are constantly on the rise and your current MCAT score isn't going to cut it if you want to present yourself as a competitive MD candidate. Even for DO schools, scores are on the rise so I believe it would be beneficial for you to retake the MCAT and improve your score. You don't particularly need this MS to get into medical school. During your gap year you can do other useful activities such as working in a research lab or doing more community service.

TLDR; improve your score on the MCAT and do more extracurriculars during your gap year to improve your chances.

I mostly only took science courses. MY Science GPA is the same almost, a 3.90. How can i do research if I'm not a student affiliated with school? How do you apply for research positions in Dallas. Sorry fi this is a dumb question.

Paid: Look for "Research Assistant Jobs" via Linkedin or Indeed. Less likely you'll be published, but you'll be involved in the process doing menial labor and being paid to do it. Possible to involve yourself to a sufficient degree to be published.

Unpaid: The DFW area has UTSW and TCOM. Google the faculty, look for one whose research aligns with your interests, and cold call them. (Via email, usually) Hope they have room and are agreeable to hosting a student.

503 my mistake, and i didn't study as efficiently as I wanted. I got 2 degrees in 4 years with a 3.91. Maybe i didn't study enough, or wasn't prepared enough? Maybe i had a bad test day? Why should 1 score determine my academic aptitude? I can retake it. You can think whatever you want.

Im pretty and smart...and i dont need to waste $$$ on this program. LOL. Good luck to some on the waiting list :)

Don't be disrespectful.

At this point if I haven't heard anything should I expect a rejection?

He's a black dude cat fishing and posting racist material and being condescending to people in multiple med sci threads maybe you should try a little harder at your job and get him off of here.

Report the posts in other threads then. I see nothing that suggests that in this thread, instead I see the two of you bickering at each other.

At this point if I haven't heard anything should I expect a rejection?

A post on the FB page from earlier today implied there might be some acceptances coming in May so there's still hope.