UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLACKTEXASDOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess Ill get this thing started. Application cycle begins next month. Im ready to apply now!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a current MedSci student and I love the program! Feel free to ask any questions :)
Just a few questions! lol
1. what were your stats when you applied if you don't mind me asking and when did you apply for the program?
2. are you applying this cycle while in the program or waiting until next year?
3. so far, how has the program been overall for you?
and any other advice would be awesome! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current MedSci student and I love the program! Feel free to ask any questions :)

1.If we complete the application by December 1st when can we expect to hear back?
2. Im a pre-dent applicant. How many are pre-dents in the program?
3. What are the average stats for admission?
4. Do they look at the whole applicant when reviewing applications? I have roughly a 2.9-3.04 GPA overall but 3.5 in the last 90 hours and 3.47 in the last 60 hours. My DAT score is within the national average. I have a pretty compelling story but I hope that they don't just throw away my application because of my stats.
5. How well do students do in first year of med/dent school after the program? Does this program give people a head start when starting first year of dent/med school?
6. What are your thoughts on the program thus far?
7. How rigorous are the classes? Do you need deep outside knowledge of sciences before entering. My original degree was not in the sciences.

Reactions: 1 user
1.If we complete the application by December 1st when can we expect to hear back?
2. Im a pre-dent applicant. How many are pre-dents in the program?
3. What are the average stats for admission?
4. Do they look at the whole applicant when reviewing applications? I have roughly a 2.9-3.04 GPA overall but 3.5 in the last 90 hours and 3.47 in the last 60 hours. My DAT score is within the national average. I have a pretty compelling story but I hope that they don't just throw away my application because of my stats.
5. How well do students do in first year of med/dent school after the program? Does this program give people a head start when starting first year of dent/med school?
6. What are your thoughts on the program thus far?
7. How rigorous are the classes? Do you need deep outside knowledge of sciences before entering. My original degree was not in the sciences.
Hey! I'm a current pre-dent in the med sci program. There are about 20 of us. Average stats are around 3.3ish but I've heard as low as 2.9 and as high as 3.9. They do look at the whole applicant. Upward trend is always a good sign. According to previous students, this program will prepare you really well for the rigors of dental/med school (I can't say for myself cuz I'm not in dental school yet!). I love the program. Everyone is supportive of one another and you have lots of resources to help you succeed. I think you need to have a science background since you're going into a science heavy field. That being said, if you're accepted, it's because the program directors and admission directors truly believe that you will succeed in the program. Hope that helps!

1. 3.3 uGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 506 MCAT 126/127/126/127 (my gpa is higher now than this because of this program :) HUGE upward trend in uGPA - transferred after a god awful freshman year and graduated 3.6 from TAMU) I applied at the end of January this year and was accepted in the second wave of acceptances mid march. My friend applied in December and was accepted in the first wave of acceptances at the end of February. Applying early for the medsci program is good because it is rolling admissions and they look at apps in the order they are received and the program only gets more competitive year to year. People were accepted well into May.
2. I applied this cycle and got my interview invite to TCOM this morning! Many schools are familiar with the MedSci program and will wait to see grades show up on your transcript.
3. I have LOVED this program so far. It is pretty awesome to have the opportunity to try out medical-school level curriculum while applying to get a taste of how it will really be. I worked full time for a year between graduation and starting MedSci so I have a very deep appreciation for the opportunity to be back in the classroom learning about things I love to learn. In my opinion, it is not hard to work hard in this program if you really truly love the material because it won't feel like a lot of work if you love what you're learning. Another thing I love is that I can be involved in TCOM organizations as a MedSci and make some amazing connections with faculty and other students.

Advice- it IS a lot of work!! I treat it like a full time job- 8-5 studying unless it is a test week. I wake up at 6:30 every day. it is WORTH IT to have good habits as they will not only pay off in this program but also in medical school. I go to EVERY SINGLE lecture because it pays off to hear the material from the professor's perspective, they are all different and they will give hints on what will be on exams. I preview lecture, go to lecture, review lecture afterwards to make as many passes through the material as possible. I also take advantage of the free tutoring- I HIGHLY recommend this because they will put you with a past medsci who made an A in the class you are requesting tutoring for and knows what the program is like.

it is crucial to not let yourself get behind because it IS fast paced but if you truly love science, you will love the program and it will not be hard to go to class and learn. I have classmates that are getting burnt out at this point in the semester and I think the reason I haven't is because of the habits I formed early on to stay on top of the material. If you procrastinate, the stress of cramming before an exam will burn you out. If cramming worked for you in undergrad, forget it because it's impossible to learn this amount of material in a day. In undergrad biochem was 2 semesters and in this program ALL of those 2 semesters of biochem and more is finished within a month.
Thank you so much and good luck, I hope you get in!!

1. If you complete it in December, you could be in the first wave of responses. My friend applied in December last year and was accepted in the first wave. I applied in January and was accepted in the second wave (rolling admissions)

2. I know a few pre-dents! It will be majority premedical but there are definitely several pre PA and pre dents as well.

3. I am unable to find official stats for this program but I am pretty sure at least a 3.0 cGPA and at least 495 MCAT are going to be what they are looking for. It is very clear that they accept people that they KNOW they can help get into professional school and that they see a strong professional school applicant in so you can expect less than average stats because they're looking for people they can help.

4. I have a similar situation as you, 3.3 GPA with a 3.9 last 60 hours and very very compelling story and I was accepted very early in the admissions process. Slightly higher than average MCAT (506) so yes they do look at the whole applicant and the thing that is so amazing about this program is how much they believe in the people they pick for this program.

5. REALLY WELL. You're basically covering the same material in first year med school in this program. My friends at TCOM joke that it makes them mad when previous MedScis are always getting better grades because we have just taken the same classes the year prior.

6. I said it before but I really really LOVE this program. I feel incredibly lucky to be here and to be earning this degree. the faculty is amazing and I have made some amazing connections with med school faculty and medical students that if I ((hopefully)) get into TCOM will be able to continue growing throughout med school. The community at UNTHSC is so amazing and collaborative, it truly feels like a family. We help each other out but hold each other accountable and build each other up at the same time. We get taught by the same professors that the Med school does so it is super high quality education in my opinion. It has really really paid off for others as well - many of them have prematched into other professional schools as early as August. I have classmates that got into TTUHSC, TAMUHSC, TTUHSC/MBA, TCOM, and some out of state schools all within the past couple of weeks (some of them got into more than one school on the same day!! I'm just happy to have an interview lol).

7. The classes are rigorous.. picture two semesters of Biochem and more crammed into 1 month. We just did all of Immuno in two weeks and just started Micro and will be done with that in two weeks. but if you love science, it is easy to form the habits to be successful. There is a LOT of power in your daily habits and I seriously feel bad for my classmates that procrastinate and dont go to class because I can only imagine the amount of stress that adds because it is truly a lot of material and it is rigorous, but the point of it is to prepare you for the rigors of medical/dental school. It starts out easy and slowly builds to basically ease you into medical/dental school pace. It is key to form good habits from the beginning and stick to them to avoid burnout. I would be happy to put together my personal habits for the program as well as general thoughts and advice on things if y'all are interested!

Does this all help? Happy to answer any follow up questions!

Thank you so much! Besides going to lectures and studying everyday, what study strategies do you use to succeed in the program?

Last edited:
Hey! I'm a current pre-dent in the med sci program. There are about 20 of us. Average stats are around 3.3ish but I've heard as low as 2.9 and as high as 3.9. They do look at the whole applicant. Upward trend is always a good sign. According to previous students, this program will prepare you really well for the rigors of dental/med school (I can't say for myself cuz I'm not in dental school yet!). I love the program. Everyone is supportive of one another and you have lots of resources to help you succeed. I think you need to have a science background since you're going into a science heavy field. That being said, if you're accepted, it's because the program directors and admission directors truly believe that you will succeed in the program. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply! Even though I wasn't a Bio major I took the basic prerequisites along with Micro, molecular, A&P I and II, Organismic bio, Physiology, Radiation biology and other sciences. I tried to do the best I could to make my own post bac prior to applying. What is the average DAT? What are your study strategies? Do they calculate your GPA like TMDSAS?

If you have a LizzyM thats ~70 is it worth applying to this program? I'm on the fence about whether or not I would benefit

1. If you complete it in December, you could be in the first wave of responses. My friend applied in December last year and was accepted in the first wave. I applied in January and was accepted in the second wave (rolling admissions)

2. I know a few pre-dents! It will be majority premedical but there are definitely several pre PA and pre dents as well.

3. I am unable to find official stats for this program but I am pretty sure at least a 3.0 cGPA and at least 495 MCAT are going to be what they are looking for. It is very clear that they accept people that they KNOW they can help get into professional school and that they see a strong professional school applicant in so you can expect less than average stats because they're looking for people they can help.

4. I have a similar situation as you, 3.3 GPA with a 3.9 last 60 hours and very very compelling story and I was accepted very early in the admissions process. Slightly higher than average MCAT (506) so yes they do look at the whole applicant and the thing that is so amazing about this program is how much they believe in the people they pick for this program.

5. REALLY WELL. You're basically covering the same material in first year med school in this program. My friends at TCOM joke that it makes them mad when previous MedScis are always getting better grades because we have just taken the same classes the year prior.

6. I said it before but I really really LOVE this program. I feel incredibly lucky to be here and to be earning this degree. the faculty is amazing and I have made some amazing connections with med school faculty and medical students that if I ((hopefully)) get into TCOM will be able to continue growing throughout med school. The community at UNTHSC is so amazing and collaborative, it truly feels like a family. We help each other out but hold each other accountable and build each other up at the same time. We get taught by the same professors that the Med school does so it is super high quality education in my opinion. It has really really paid off for others as well - many of them have prematched into other professional schools as early as August. I have classmates that got into TTUHSC, TAMUHSC, TTUHSC/MBA, TCOM, and some out of state schools all within the past couple of weeks (some of them got into more than one school on the same day!! I'm just happy to have an interview lol).

7. The classes are rigorous.. picture two semesters of Biochem and more crammed into 1 month. We just did all of Immuno in two weeks and just started Micro and will be done with that in two weeks. but if you love science, it is easy to form the habits to be successful. There is a LOT of power in your daily habits and I seriously feel bad for my classmates that procrastinate and dont go to class because I can only imagine the amount of stress that adds because it is truly a lot of material and it is rigorous, but the point of it is to prepare you for the rigors of medical/dental school. It starts out easy and slowly builds to basically ease you into medical/dental school pace. It is key to form good habits from the beginning and stick to them to avoid burnout. I would be happy to put together my personal habits for the program as well as general thoughts and advice on things if y'all are interested!

Does this all help? Happy to answer any follow up questions!
For those people who got into the Texas MD schools already, did they start the program with high GPA and/or MCAT? In terms of stats, I'm similar to you, so I'm wondering if I have a shot at Texas MD programs if I apply while in this program.

Thanks for the reply! Even though I wasn't a Bio major I took the basic prerequisites along with Micro, molecular, A&P I and II, Organismic bio, Physiology, Radiation biology and other sciences. I tried to do the best I could to make my own post bac prior to applying. What is the average DAT? What are your study strategies? Do they calculate your GPA like TMDSAS?
-As long as you took those science courses in undergrad you should be good during the med sci program.
-Average DAT was around 19-20 (I think) for applying to the med sci program but youre required to take a Live online prep course thru princeton review if you scored below 20.
-For studying, I just memorize all the slides but a lot of other people have their own fun ways of studying.
-Idk how they calculate your GPA, all you do is send your transcripts to them and they'll do the rest.
If anyone has any other questions about the med sci program let me know.

Any tips on the questionnaire process? The 5 questions they ask you in the application.
-Just be honest when answering the questions. They look for a lot of diversity in this program. People of all different types of backgrounds are here. I didn't write a lot for the application questions, maybe just a paragraph for each question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe a lot of it had to do with retaking the MCAT in the summer. My friends who prematched into MD schools last week had greatly improved their scores after really struggling the first couple of times taking it and just buckled down during the course that the MedSci program provides. They did very well and got the attention of MD schools. Those friends also had less-than-stellar GPA's but were able to send in good grades from the program to give adcoms more confidence in their academic capabilities.

If you do get accepted to MedSci, I would meet with your assigned advisor ASAP once the program begins to go over your application and see what you need to do during the program to be competitive for the schools you are interested in! I started meeting with my advisor back in May and she has been awesome about advocating for me, writing LORs, and giving honest feedback on what needed improvement and now I am sitting here with an II to my dream school.
Thanks for your reply and congrats on your II! Do you know what scores they ended up receiving or around what percentile? As in did they greatly improve from a sub 500 or low 500s score? I'm sitting with a 508, so I'm wondering if thats competitive for Texas MD schools or if I should retake

Thank you! I'm pretty sure at least one of them was sub-500 and just absolutely killed it on the retake, i think a 515 or something like that. It is so hard for me to say, a 508 is a great score but admission to med school can be such a crap shoot i wouldn't want to make any predictions based on your MCAT score alone. I think it's best to have a file review with the schools you are really wanting to go to to see what they think is weak and take their advice on what to do. I did a file review with TCOM this time last year, they said they strongly agreed that I need to do MedSci to show them I can take the heat of med school classes, and now I have an II with them this year. I think it's best to hear from the schools themselves with a detailed file review or at least speak with an advisor to go over every aspect of your app so you have a clear direction with where to go. It's easy to fall through the cracks because of something small. It may even add to your competitiveness if you can ask for feedback and take their advice to show them you're willing to do what it takes to gain admission to their school!
Dang a 515 is pretty high score haha, that's so awesome. Did the MD schools say anything about this program when you mentioned it? I'm aiming for Texas AM or one of the Techs. Thanks again for your helpful replies!

-As long as you took those science courses in undergrad you should be good during the med sci program.
-Average DAT was around 19-20 (I think) for applying to the med sci program but youre required to take a Live online prep course thru princeton review if you scored below 20.
-For studying, I just memorize all the slides but a lot of other people have their own fun ways of studying.
-Idk how they calculate your GPA, all you do is send your transcripts to them and they'll do the rest.
If anyone has any other questions about the med sci program let me know.
19-20 is a really good score average. My score is 17 AA which is average score amongst test takers in America. I definitely plan to retake the test. We shall see.

Current MedSci here too!
Post or send me any questions y'all want.

How important is it to get LORs from science professors? I've been out of school for 4 years and don't feel confident they would remember me well enough to write compelling letters. However, I can get letters from physicians and from my current employer.

How important is it to get LORs from science professors? I've been out of school for 4 years and don't feel confident they would remember me well enough to write compelling letters. However, I can get letters from physicians and from my current employer.

I'm not the best person to respond to this. (Came to the program straight out of undergrad)
However, from what I'm aware of, having a letter from your professors is primarily for the admissions committee to have anecdotal evidence of your abilities in an academic setting. Letters from employers/shadowed physicians are also of value, though.
Did you happen to do research and take a class with one of your old professors? Did you happen to do anything else in academia?

I would highly recommend at least one letter from a science professor. Best case scenario, one of them remembers you for one reason or another and/or is willing to meet with you to discuss your CV/resume/plans. Worst case scenario, contact UNTHSC admissions and let them know of your situation. The faculty here is extremely helpful and wants nothing more than to see you succeed!

For reference: No one to write Letters of Recommendation for me...

I'm not the best person to respond to this. (Came to the program straight out of undergrad)
However, from what I'm aware of, having a letter from your professors is primarily for the admissions committee to have anecdotal evidence of your abilities in an academic setting. Letters from employers/shadowed physicians are also of value, though.
Did you happen to do research and take a class with one of your old professors? Did you happen to do anything else in academia?

I would highly recommend at least one letter from a science professor. Best case scenario, one of them remembers you for one reason or another and/or is willing to meet with you to discuss your CV/resume/plans. Worst case scenario, contact UNTHSC admissions and let them know of your situation. The faculty here is extremely helpful and wants nothing more than to see you succeed!

For reference: No one to write Letters of Recommendation for me...

Awesome, thank you. I will get in touch with a few of them, then.

Another question:

I know the upward trend for the last 60 hours is really important, however, I was a chemical engineering major and upperclassmen engineering classes are extremely difficult.

I took all of my pre-med classes and general underclassmen classes within the first 2 years and got a pretty good GPA, but the junior/senior level engineering classes destroyed me, leading to a downward trend in GPA. Overall GPA is still good at 3.41 and my BCPM GPA is 3.7, but my last 60 hours are probably all engineering related and lower.

This is my biggest concern with this application.

I tried to emphasize how and why I would make the most of the program and reasons why I would succeed in grad school. I heard rumors of them potentially doing interviews for this program starting this year *which I have no idea if it's actually true* but if so you may have more than one opportunity to appeal to them.

+1. Heard the same rumor.

I know the upward trend for the last 60 hours is really important, however, I was a chemical engineering major and upperclassmen engineering classes are extremely difficult.

I took all of my pre-med classes and general underclassmen classes within the first 2 years and got a pretty good GPA, but the junior/senior level engineering classes destroyed me, leading to a downward trend in GPA. Overall GPA is still good at 3.41 and my BCPM GPA is 3.7, but my last 60 hours are probably all engineering related and lower.

This is my biggest concern with this application.

Oof. Engineering is rough. I was plain old Chemistry (So I still had to get hit with upper level inorganic and physical chemistry), so I understand your complaints.
Your overall and BCPM GPA still look really good. Schools are generally aware of the rigor of engineering-related curriculum.
Regardless, some schools may still have issue with a downward trend.
With regards to the program itself, a 3.41/3.7 is still on the higher end. What was your MCAT, if you don't mind me asking? (You can also PM me if you're not comfortable sharing it on the forum)
I think your stats are still competitive for the program. Just be thorough with questions in the application. It might also help if the admissions committee decides to go through with interviews, since you can more directly address that.

Oof. Engineering is rough. I was plain old Chemistry (So I still had to get hit with upper level inorganic and physical chemistry), so I understand your complaints.
Your overall and BCPM GPA still look really good. Schools are generally aware of the rigor of engineering-related curriculum.
With regards to the program itself, a 3.41/3.7 is still on the higher end. What was your MCAT, if you don't mind me asking? (You can also PM me if you're not comfortable sharing it on the forum)
I think your stats are still competitive for the program. Just be thorough with questions in the application. It might also help if the admissions committee decides to go through with interviews, since you can more directly address that.
Do you think a Lizzy M of ~65 can get some interviews while I'm enrolled in this program? Also how was the summer MCAT class that they offer and if you took it, do you think it helped you out? Thanks!

Do you think a Lizzy M of ~65 can get some interviews while I'm enrolled in this program? Also how was the summer MCAT class that they offer and if you took it, do you think it helped you out? Thanks!

I'm not too familiar with LizzyM scores.
They're good predictors for traditional students, but there's a ton of stuff that can happen with non-trads. (So I've heard)
Assuming I'm looking at the graph right, though, a LizzyM of 65 seems like the average applicant. If you apply broadly, I'm sure you'll be fine. (By broadly I do mean include D.O. and out-of-state if you're a Texas resident)

Regarding the summer MCAT class, I have mixed feelings about it.
TPR were the ones presenting it, and overall I did enjoy it. My score went up by 8 points (And if you look in my post history you should be able to see where that would put me), and I know it helped alot of my classmates.
However, if I could go again, I'd PERSONALLY save my money. YMMV, but I'm already a decent standardized test taker. I'm just terrible at time management and procrastination. While the course itself helped a lot with regards to putting me on a solid track for studying, I feel like my score was more due to forcing myself to learn time management.
*Personally thought the CARS and Psych portion of the course were dead weight and didn't help me in the least.
**The full length exams are good for content, though, as most full lengths are. As for how accurately they represent the real thing, AAMC material are the gold standard by far.

I took the old MCAT 4 years ago and got a 26, which is a 501 on the new scale... which I believe is the average applicant MCAT score for the program.

My plan is to study for the new MCAT after I apply to the program this month, so that I can be prepared for a retake this summer while taking the biostats class (assuming I get accepted!!)

I took the old MCAT 4 years ago and got a 26, which is a 501 on the new scale... which I believe is the average applicant MCAT score for the program.

My plan is to study for the new MCAT after I apply to the program this month, so that I can be prepared for a retake this summer while taking the biostats class (assuming I get accepted!!)

I think you're in a good place. Just be sure not to skimp on those essays and apply early!
Studying for the MCAT is half time management and half practice. Don't get lazy with content review, even if it appears low yield, since you've got a ton of time. Make good use of any and all practice material you can grab. (I'd say save AAMC stuff for last)

Is maintaining a 4.0 in this program tough? Do only a few people have 4.0s since this is a competitive program?

Currently have and hopefully will finish with a 4.0 - I'll say that it is tough, but definitely can be done. I honestly study a 3-4 hours a day on top of going to class, but definitely increase the workload to 10+ hours several days before exams. The most difficult thing that I've experienced is time management because the turn around of exams is about every week, so there's not much time to slack off and fall behind.

Is maintaining a 4.0 in this program tough? Do only a few people have 4.0s since this is a competitive program?
Honestly, this semester is pretty straightforward. (In contrast to what my peers are saying)
It's less work than I expected, but considerably more than undergrad, if that makes sense. The people who lost their 4.0's early on that I know have dug their feet in and figured out their study habits, and they're killing the classes now.

Is there time to screw around? Absolutely. If you study immediately after every course and keep up, you'll basically have your weekend free.
(Eg. I finished going through all my Histology and Microbiology stuff for the week already, and we have Thanksgiving break in a day or so. All I need to do is to do light review every day and I'll still feel fine.)

From what I recall from last year's MedSci class, ~20(?) people kept 4.0's.
Also, no one in my class is really prepared for next semester. Anatomy lab renovations = we have 2 months for all of anatomy+lab and 3 months for all of physiology, both taken concurrently with some other stuff tossed in.

Honestly, this semester is pretty straightforward. (In contrast to what my peers are saying)
It's less work than I expected, but considerably more than undergrad, if that makes sense. The people who lost their 4.0's early on that I know have dug their feet in and figured out their study habits, and they're killing the classes now.

Is there time to screw around? Absolutely. If you study immediately after every course and keep up, you'll basically have your weekend free.
(Eg. I finished going through all my Histology and Microbiology stuff for the week already, and we have Thanksgiving break in a day or so. All I need to do is to do light review every day and I'll still feel fine.)

From what I recall from last year's MedSci class, ~20(?) people kept 4.0's.
Also, no one in my class is really prepared for next semester. Anatomy lab renovations = we have 2 months for all of anatomy+lab and 3 months for all of physiology, both taken concurrently with some other stuff tossed in.
For sure, so sounds like a little bit of daily work should suffice for the Fall semester. Do you know people who have already prematched to MD schools in this program right now, since the prematch happened recently? How about people with just II invites in general? Could you give me a rough estimate of their stats? I'm just asking around so I can gauge if I should apply during the program or the year after. Thanks so much for your help!

For sure, so sounds like a little bit of daily work should suffice for the Fall semester. Do you know people who have already prematched to MD schools in this program right now, since the prematch happened recently? How about people with just II invites in general? Could you give me a rough estimate of their stats? I'm just asking around so I can gauge if I should apply during the program or the year after. Thanks so much for your help!

Couldn't tell you their stats, unfortunately.
I'm not the most social person, but at least 5 people I know have gotten in this cycle. (To both MD and DO schools)
Several people have had to take exam make-ups due to going off on interviews.
It's worth a shot, but I'd recommend getting in touch with any of the other AdComs on SDN or weigh in on a WAMC thread for better advice.

I think the general consensus is that if your GPA truly needs repair, you may be better off waiting to apply after the program. However, just keep in mind that your chances are always 0% if you don't apply. If you're planning on taking the MCAT course, then I would possibly suggest applying either very early (to increase your chances for interviews) or next cycle. This is because the course ends early August, so your new scores wouldn't be released until late August/early September (depending on when you decide to re-take the exam.)

To add on to @Rusrus, I've also seen recommendations on SDN to favor a post-bacc over an SMP.
There are tons of arguments for both if you check the search function.

I’m thinking about what to do for a year if I don’t get accepted to an MD program. So far I’ve only had 3 IIs in Texas and no prematches. My GPA is a 3.87 and MCAT is a 520. I’m a nontraditional who has to travel frequently for work (and had to work last year to help my parents for retirement before I go to med school). I think something may have been missing in my application (only 15 shadowing hours and 450 hospital volunteer hours but from 2012). Would anyone recommend this program for me? I feel as if I am in the prespice of getting in and this would push me over the edge.

I’m thinking about what to do for a year if I don’t get accepted to an MD program. So far I’ve only had 3 IIs in Texas and no prematches. My GPA is a 3.87 and MCAT is a 520. I’m a nontraditional who has to travel frequently for work (and had to work last year to help my parents for retirement before I go to med school). I think something may have been missing in my application (only 15 shadowing hours and 450 hospital volunteer hours but from 2012). Would anyone recommend this program for me? I feel as if I am in the prespice of getting in and this would push me over the edge.

I dont think this is for you. you should either get that shadowing up or find a job in the meantime

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I am very interested in this program. However, I am simply wondering if there has been anyone (that any of the current or former students of the program) know that applied with their GRE in pursuit of becoming a PA, but changed their mind after completing the program?

Hello! I am very interested in this program. However, I am simply wondering if there has been anyone (that any of the current or former students of the program) know that applied with their GRE in pursuit of becoming a PA, but changed their mind after completing the program?

One of my friends, a current Med Sci, applied into the program as a pre-PA student using her GRE, but decided to pursue pre-med early on and took the MCAT course. Granted, I don't think this is something that is officially allowed, but the program directors are very understanding and will work with you.

Thank you Rusrus for your response! I have another question for the thread. I am a Texas resident that is graduating from a University in a different state. Worst case scenario, I do not get into the UNTHSC M.S.. (sad face) what other programs did other Texas residents apply to? I am seeking in state tuition!
Maybe someone could point me to a thread. I am new to the SDN. Thank you in advance.

Thank you Rusrus for your response! I have another question for the thread. I am a Texas resident that is graduating from a University in a different state. Worst case scenario, I do not get into the UNTHSC M.S.. (sad face) what other programs did other Texas residents apply to? I am seeking in state tuition!
Maybe someone could point me to a thread. I am new to the SDN. Thank you in advance.

I am seeking the same type of post-bacc program that is offered at UNT. From the aamc - post bacc search engine, I have come across Texas Tech's post-bacc program. However, they require a 3.6 cGPA. I am at a cGPA of 3.0 with GRE to be taken on January 4th, 2018.
(That is basically an enzyme that will not bind to 3.0 GPAs, ugh)

I am also curious as to when (on average) will schools receive GRE scores if I am taking the test on January 4th, 2018?

I am wondering for the March 1, 2018 deadline!

In the event that you don't get into this program, I would suggest looking at other post-bacc's and SMPs in Texas. Off the top of my head, I can think of a formal post-bacc at UT-Dallas or Texas A&M, or SMP at TTUHSC/UIWSOM. Note that UIWSOM's SMP is very expensive as it is a private institution.
I am seeking the same type of post-bacc program that is offered at UNT. From the aamc - post bacc search engine, I have come across Texas Tech's post-bacc program. However, they require a 3.6 cGPA. I am at a cGPA of 3.0 with GRE to be taken on January 4th, 2018.

I am also curious as to when (on average) will schools receive GRE scores if I am taking the test on January 4th, 2018?

I'm not familiar with the Texas Tech post-bacc program, but I believe the masters program doesn't have a GPA requirement - though my information may be outdated. In regards to your GRE scores, I believe that it should only take 1-2 weeks to process them. I applied around the first week of January last year and everything was complete by the second to third week.

Side note - The rumor that interviews will be conducted for this program is false, so make sure you sell yourself on the application!

Reactions: 1 users

Where did you find the info that the Tech post bacc requires a 3.6 cGPA?

Where did you find the info that the Tech post bacc requires a 3.6 cGPA?

Also wondering this.
Per their website (Graduate Medical Sciences - MS in Biomedical Sciences)
"Requirements for admission are flexible and there are no minimum GPA or GRE requirements. Students may request that MCAT scores be submitted in lieu of GRE scores, and such waiver requests should be sent to the [email protected]. Averages for applicants offered admission to the Graduate Medical Sciences concentration over the past 5 years are: GRE 310 (1220 old scoring system), MCAT 27, and undergraduate GPA 3.6. Texas residents are preferred, however all completed applications will be considered for admission."

Bolded relevant.

Just spoke with admissions today. Average stats: 3.4 overall GPA, (no minimum DAT score) average score 19. She also said that admissions looks at overall GPA, Science GPA, last 60 hours as well as post baccalaureate GPA. This must be something new. They use to just look at overall gpa, test scores and last 60 hours.

My app status literally says “application” lol. But all of my items are received so I guess I’m good to go.

My app status literally says “application” lol. But all of my items are received so I guess I’m good to go.

Are you guys treating the supplemental questions like a personal statement or are you being more direct and to the point? I’m having a hard time deciding whether I should answer the questions in 300-400 words or create a narrative around it and fill all 750 words.

Are you guys treating the supplemental questions like a personal statement or are you being more direct and to the point? I’m having a hard time deciding whether I should answer the questions in 300-400 words or create a narrative around it and fill all 750 words.

Personally, none of my responses exceeded 500 words. I was very concise and to the point, with only a little bit of embellishment.
YMMV.