UOP Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

I third that...it was cool to meet a lot of my future classmates and also came away with a very confident feeling about my decision to go to UOP. Dean Dugoni's talk was very awesome and gave me every reason to believe that UOP is the best dental school for me.

The facilities were super and also that Invisalign presentation was great. In addition, hearing that an elective on Invisalign will also be offered to us starting next year will make our class truly exciting.

I am looking forward to meeting all of you in July.

BustA

Members don't see this ad.

yes, UOP pride day. gotta go there for the newly renovated $80,000 woman's bathroom! The school is very very new and updated. I just can't swallow how much the tuition is..sigh..

mary

Aside from meeting you all, my favorite part of the day was the cookie that came with lunch!! It was HUUUGE!! I call that a humanistic approach!! It was a great day. I too am excited about the ortho elective, our stellar dean,...and the nice bathrooms! Also, after checking out some nearby apartments, it seems that there are many more options than I anticipated. See you again in July.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if you guys received anything about financial aid yet.

Not yet. Still waiting...

Just got the 2003 Guidebook (very informative), but nothing on financial aid or housing. Still waiting.........

Spoke too soon...

Got a call saying that I was chosen for the UOP apartments (3 bedroom). Yah baby! Now I don't have to search anymore. Forgot to ask about parking though. Oh well.

Now for financial aid.....

:confused:
For all you guys that processed your student loan with UOP Financial Aid office,

Do you know if we are required to borrow the Stafford loan directly from UOP financial office? Because UOP charges an $1150 Stafford Loan lender fee that apparently could be waived from some lenders.

Thanks,

filling out the FAFSA is a major BITCH!!!:rolleyes:

I turned in late application near the end of last year. But I've just recently got in both UCSF, UCLA, and UOP. However, I've decided to attend UOP because I want to get out early and be a confident GP.

Latecomer, welcome to UOP!

Guess I got passed up for student housing.:( Anyone else in the same situation? Any suggestions???

Good choice LateComer!

Ktran02, contact the student housing at UOP, they have a list of companies/website that can help you with housing. I also did a search online and there are still a few apartments (studio and shared 2 bedrooms) around UOP that are offered at a reasonable price.
I got the shared 2 bedrooms at UOP Student Housing for ~$930 per person and I think you should be able to get cheaper or better deal elsewhere.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the subject of Housing has anyone here actually been to UOP student Housing (UOP Apartment) and can give us some descriptions or rating on the quality of the apartment?

Thanks,

ktran-

You can try the UOP website. Go to the applicants page and then click "accepted students." You then need to provide the username and password that UOP sent us a couple of weeks ago. It's on a pink-ish colored paper. There should be some "relatively" good deals on housing in SF that can be cheaper than the UOP housing.

The 3 bedroom apartment I got at UOP housing is $718/month. Not bad. From what I remember during my interview stay, the apartments were surprisingly spacious. We'll see....

Anyway, good luck with the housing hunt.

alexii-

Congrats on getting chosen for housing. I'm on the 4th floor. Hope to see you around!

Arby,

Congrats to you too! I am on the 2nd floor.

Hey Guys,

When did you guys find out about the specifics about housing, like the amount of rent and floor? My roommate just gave me a message that I got an apartment but no other details. Did you guys get something in the mail already or did you guys ask on the phone? Also, has anyone heard from financial aid yet? Just wondering. Thanks. :)

Perfectsmile-

I was told the housing information via a call from Warren from the Admissions Office. He said those that had been chosen for housing should be getting a packet mailed to them by next week. Hope this helps!

Perfectsmile-

I was recieved the info from Warren via e-mail.

Alex

For those who got housing from UOP....is it true that the $500 deposit is due May 12th?

Still no housing packet as of now. Has anyone received it yet? :confused:

I don't know about the $500 deposit for housing but that sounds right. And no I still have not received anything from them yet concerning housing.
Also, the end of April has passed and still nothing about financial aid. I wished UOP would let us know about financial aid, because we start pretty soon. Anyone else still not know about financial aid too?

Ya, I'm still waiting on financial aid info as well. Should be here any moment!

Hey all-

Here's a heads up on the housing and financial aid packets. I called UOP today (5/8/03) and spoke to Janelle in the admissions office.

Housing packets have been mailed as of yesterday.....they should get to us by the end of this week or beginning of next week. The deposit deadline of May 12th will be pushed back.

Financial aid packets will be mailed in a week or two, sorry guys. Hope this helps everyone who is still waiting to hear!

Just got the UOP housing packet today (5/10/03). The lease is due no later than May 16 for those who have not received it yet.

I called UOP and they told me that we should receive our financial aid packets by next week. But for those who are getting HPSL it'll take a week or two longer.

Cool, thanks Juan7677 for the info.

Here's something to add to the previous post....

Just got a packet from UOP today (5/16) containing information regarding: the first few days of school, big brother/sister form, as well as dental loop info/cost. Hope everybody has gotten their mail. :)

Just got finanical aid package from UOP. Looks like the Lender Fees on the financial aid letter coming from the 3% loan origination fee on the Federal Stafford loans charged by the Federal government.

Just wondering what Alternative Loan Lender would you select? I look at the Bank One Signature at www.Salliemae.com. The interest rate is PRIME + 0.5%. Though there is no fee at Disbursement but they charge 3% at Repayment. In my opinion, that's even worse because the additional amount of accumulated interest rate will be added to the principal at Repayment. Well, need to look further at other Lenders for Alternative Loans.

Just check out couple other ALTERNATIVE loan lenders, it seems that Citibank with Citiassist Dental Loan offers some attractive terms:
. No origination fees, guarantee fees or repayment fees
. Interest rate: Prime + 0.25%
. 0.5% interest rate reduction after 48 monthly payments
. 0.25% interest rate reduction with automatic bank debit

However, don't know if they penalize any early prepayments.

That's good stuff.....

Will look into it as soon as I get the packet.

I got my financial aid loans, and I got some money but not enough to pay for the entire tuition and housing completely. I was wondring if everyone got partial loans or are there people that got full coverage from UOP, or are getting additional bank loans? Just wondering how they decide to give out different amount for loans.

Arrggghhh! Still no packet. I wonder why I always get mail after everyone else. Any southern cali people going to UOP still waiting for the financial aid packet?

Still waiting. Just a reminder, for those getting HPSL it'll take a lil longer than everyone else.

oh i see. nevermind.

i swear, i'm getting more neurotic everyday :D. i've waited such a long time to get to this point, and now i find myself getting all anxious about mail.

reminds me of when i was applying for schools and stalking the mailman for interview invites and acceptance notices :laugh: .

guess i have no choice but to wait a little longer. thanks to those who've replied :p .

I just check the computer specs. that we will be getting and I think it really isn't a good deal at all especially when it is a lease!

:confused: By the way, can anyone suggest me on which lender I should go with for my Stafford loan!!

Thanks,

I was just wondering if anyone started collecting teeth yet.

Maybe I was wrong, but as far as I know UOP didn't sent me any information regarding collecting teeth.

Do let me know if I am wrong on this.

Ya, they sent us a packet with stuff about the first day of school, our computer, and some other stuff. On the green sheet with the tips, it says we need to collect teeth, but we don't actually need them until the 4th quarter. I have given one jar to a dentist already, but I have a couple more to give out. Anybody know how many we might need?

That's a good question. My aunt has started saving teeth for me. I hope one jar of teeth will be enough. I could be wrong though. I'm sure they will tell us once we start classes.

$900/yr for a 1.4 P4 doesn't sound like such a good deal. I wish they would just let us buy our own computers and save big bucks. Does anyone know if the school is wireless?

I think one jar is enough, however, if you can get 2 jars why not go for it.

What do you guys think about having Bank One as the lender for student loans?

I chose Bank One. Not really sure why though. I kinda just randomly picked one since most of them seemed pretty good. :)

Access Group for Stafford Loan looks favorable because there is no origination fee plus about 2.25% rate reduction after 48 on-time electronic payments.

For Bank One, you may have to pay upto 3% of origination fee for Stafford Loan and there is no rate reduction. However, you will get back 3.3% of the principal after 33 on-time payments after graduation.

To my knowledge, we need collecting teeth to basically practice endo, i.d., root canal. We use false teeth to do restoratives such as fillings. So one jar of teeth may be more than enough.

Yep, I wish we have an option to buy a laptop which costs about 1k instead of leasing $900x4 (academic years) = $3600 and returning it at the end.

Yeah the laptops are way overcharged. I guess the only good thing is that if it gets broken, they'll replace it with a new one. My friend replaced it twice. Once b/c he dropped it and the other time because he spilled coffee all over it.

Hey Class of 2006...

Yeah the laptops are a rip on paper cause its a lease,

but if you work it out on paper...someone has to pay the interest because the laptop on the dell website is about 2500-2600.

Beccause all that stuff they put in the laptop costs some bucks.

To answer one of the questions, the Centrino/Dell Lan Mobile card should make us wireless in the building. I hope that is the goal anyway.

In addition, if crap hits the fan with our laptops, I think we get a loaner right away and that lasts for three years (269 bucks through dell I believe)

If anyone wants to check my math, Id welcome it but I agree with the consensus, that we could all probably get a better deal for ourselves.

Busta

Yah, I agree with everyone else about the laptop. It costs too much!! I guess the one thing we can't really be surprised about with UOP is how expensive everything is. I will end up buying the laptop after I graduate since I would have put so much money into it already. Oh and yeah....I believe that the clinics, if not the whole school are wireless. Don't quote me on that though.

As a side note, for anyone who is still waiting for their financial aid packet (like me), I suggest you call UOP ASAP.

I called today regarding housing and had mentioned as a side note about not getting my financial aid packet yet. After looking into it, I was told that it was sent on May 13th (to the correct address), and that I should have received it already. Anyway, they are re-mailing it today and it should get to me by the end of the week.

Make sure that this has not happened to you. Hope this helps!

Problem with leased computer from Dell is that sometimes they will put refurbished components in their leased-laptops.
Although those components are as good as the new ones, however, you never know if you got a lemon until your laptop crashes when you need it the most.

I called financial aid and they told me that for those getting HPSL (like me) things are taking too long. So what they decided to do was send out the financial aid award letter without HPSL funds. (by the way, I was told that we might not know how much HPSL we're getting till the end of July). So I'm hoping that I get the packet some time next week.