UOP Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Then I guess I didn't get the HPSL loan. Thanks for clearing things up!

Members don't see this ad.

I regret the day that I told Kathy Candito (whatever her name was) that I did not want to go to UOP. From all the dental schools that I've seen, the students at UOP seem the happiest, and the "humanistic approach" sound excellent. I think you will all live to be in the 100's while I will die in my twenties--throat cut by my classmates.

Good luck to you all!

Acrimonius-

I'm sorry to hear that you regret your decision of rejecting UOP's acceptance offer. I would have liked to be your classmate.

You are a prime example of just how important choosing the right school for oneself is. But of course since the decision has been made, I'm sure that you can and will be succesful with whatever you put your heart and mind to. Remember to keep your spirits high, and know that you will still accomplish what you set out to do (get a DDS, DMD, etc) at the school you are or will attend. Best of luck to you!

For those who are in the current application cycle, PLEASE do your homework when choosing schools. Because of the nature of our future profession, the name of a dental school has LITTLE to do with your future job prospects or opportunities for advancement.

Be sure to research each school and choose the school that best suits you. Ask yourself what you want out of your dental education and then match it to your schools of interest. And YES, every dental school is different!

Make sure you look through school websites, pamphlets, and brochures. As well as talk to current dental students, faculty, and active private dentists for their opinions. Trust me, ultimately you will have less difficulty in deciding on a school. Don't forget.....you can and will do it!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Acrimonius,

Just out of curiosity, which school are you going to attend? Could it be UCSF:p

too bad UOP rejected me, i am a Cal reject stuck at columbia.

Finally got my financial aid packet.

Everything in the world is right again!

I am choosing Citibank/CitiAssist Dental Loan for both Federal and Alternative loans.

Are you guys going to download the alternative loan application from the lenders website or will you call the F.A. Office to send it to you instead?

Just curious.....

still waiting......

still waiting...... :(

I chose Bank One and just downloaded the application online. It seemed pretty easy to me. I did it this way because then it gets done faster rather than the school sending you an application in the mail.

I can't believe that we are starting school so soon! I can't wait!!

:D

I found Citibanks website hard to navigate. It took me a while to find the pdf CitiAssist loan application that you can download and print. The online application is really easy to find however. The financial aid office said that either way is fine.

I am sending a paper copy of the application since I don't feel comfortable doing it online. If you decide to do an online application, be sure to fax the printouts to the FA office.

Finally received my financial aid packet. Still deciding which lender to choose.

I was also wondering about the green sheet (Alternative Loan Request Statement) they gave us. Do we have to fill it out and send it, even if I'm not planning on applying for Alternative loans thru UOP's electronic loan processing system.

Juan7677-

Are you just not going to get alternative loans at all? Or just not through UOP's financial aid office electronic loan processing system?

You might want to call them and find out for sure. You're still going to be working with them closely for your cost of attendance and living. Hopefully you can share with us what you find out, so that others in the same situation will know. Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey agutier,

What made you choose citibank over the other lenders for federal loans? Do you know if they have an Origination fee?

By the way, I'm just not planning to use UOP's financial aid office elctronic loan processing system for the Alternative loans. My parents and brother are planning to take out loans to help me pay.

Juan7677-

This is gonna sound really stupid, but I chose it cuz I'm getting my alternative loans from them as well. It was purely to simplify the financial aid process for me. The idea is so that I can just cut checks during repayment to one lender only. That's it!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the government charges an origination fee for Federal Stafford Loans. I believe I read that on the back of the Master Promissory Note (MPN). Origination fees might differ between lenders for alternative loans only. That last part is just a big fat guess tho.

I'm such a financial aid illiterate. There's so many wierd looking terms and winded explanations. Sorry I can't be of more help to you. But you pose a good question whose answer would also be useful to post. I'll call and find out for you :) .

Well, I guess I can help clearing up some confused things about fees and loans.

To my knowledge, the lender fee on the financial aid award letter is the UOP school fee for processing all your loans regardless of what lenders you gonna go with. Some Federal Stafford Loan lenders charge an orgination fees which is your additional cost.

Most of Alternative loan lenders waive the origination fees but they may charge other fees like disbursement, and especially repayment fees which are around 3%. That means it will cost you additional couple thousands when you start paying loans.

If you don't borrow any loan at all including Stafford loan then the UOP school fee won't be applied to you.

You can outsource the Alternative loan without going through UOP. But I don't know if you can also do that with the Federal Stafford loans. So Juan, you can save the lender fees from UOP if you completely borrow the loans from outside including Stafford and HPSL loans. I will be glad to hear if you can do that.

Is anyone considering using ACCESS GROUP? I might go with them. Can anyone else please post what lender they chose and why?

So if I understand this correctly, we can just go straight to one of the lenders for Stafford Loan (like Bank One) and not have to pay the lender's fee.

If this were the case then why would anyone want to go through the student loan process with UOP Financial office?

The offer from All Student Loan looks very attractive, a 2% compounded interest over 10 years is close to 22% (no repayment) and 12% (w/ repayment). I think that it is a better deal than the 3.30% reduction after 33 months in repayment offer by Bank One. But if the ?no origination fees? (3% saving on the principal balance) from Access Group can be apply to the Stafford Loan then it will actually be the best deal out of all 3.

What do you guys think? I never deal with Student loan before so correct me if I am wrong.

By the way, what I said above only apply if you are only borrowing the Stafford Loans.

I select Access Group for Stafford loan because it has no origination fee plus rate reduction. Access Group is a non profit organization. That accounts for its no fee, reduced interest rate. Besides, UCLA Dental school uses Access Group to handle Stafford loans.

If you bypass UOP financial office for student loans, my best guess is you are accountable for tuitions and fees if the loan disbursement is late. Plus you may entangle in the loan process that may be time consuming.

By the way, does anyone know if the lender fee from UOP is one-time fee or once per academic year?

That is the question I am trying to figure out too.

The interest rate changes every July1st.

Check out this page, it calculate the realized cost of your Student loan.

http://www.northstar.org/BonusCalc.aspx?typ=Health

If you borrow $138,500 in Stafford Loan here is how much you really pay w/ current interest rate.
------------------------------------------------------------------
origination fee ~ 3% =$4155 of the principal
Citibank $159,140 +origination fees
NellieMae $167,236 +origination fees
Access $160,525
ASAP $159,140 +origination fees
NorthStar $157,228
WellsFargo $156,620 +origination fees
BankOne $167,236 +origination fees
AllStudent $151,852 +origination fees

I sent in my award letter and they called me back saying I have to choose a lender. If the interest rate is already fixed then what is the difference for what lender I pick? I thought that the lender was standard because everything is fixed. I don't understand what the difference between lenders are if everything is already fixed (for the subsidized Stafford and unsubsidized Stafford not alternative loan). I am so confused.:confused: Please help me.

Hence my confusion :confused: ! Oh well, at least I didn't pick the worst lender....:D

My dad helped me out and we chose Access Group, they seem to be very good because they are non-profit. I hope they are.

Here is what I got from UOP Financial office,

Yes. The $1155 fee is added automatically because most lenders has origination fees... but if you pick a lender lke T.H.E. then we won't deduct it from your loan.

Thanks for all those who have updated us on financial aid!! I'm sure this info will come in very handy for those who have yet to chose a lender.

Now that we are clear about financial aid, has anyone given any thought to the dental loupes we will be purchasing? Which will you purchase? How do you know which is right for you? Are they all the same? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Does anyone know where or when our white coat ceremony will be? Can we invite family and friends or is it strictly a student thing? Geez, can't believe we'll be starting in a month!

That reminds me I need to call my soon-to-be roomies and introduce myself. So many things to do, so little time.....

Can someone please PM me with the access information for the "Accepted Students" link on the UOP website ASAP? I'm trying to look for housing information. Thanks in advance.

Arby,

Our white coat ceremony will be in July 2004. In other words, UOP does the ceremony for 2nd year students.

Hey SMDdent. I PM'd you.

Ricky-

I'm confused. So do we D1's have one? Or does it happen during our 2nd year?

If it is the former, do you know the specific date? Thanks for the clarification!

Hey Arby,

No, D1's at UOP do not get a white coat ceremony like others may at other schools. This year, the white coat ceremony for the D2's will be July 16, so I'm assuming we'll have ours around the same time next year. :clap: In regards to your followup question, "can we invite family and friends?", the answer is yes. I found this information for you on the UOP website.

It seems like most of you here were accepted into UOP housing, but are there others like me who didn't? I'm just curious to know where the rest of you non-UOP-housing people are going to live because I've just begun the search for an apartment. Thus far I've looked into the Webster Towers and Fillmore Center, but I have found horrendous reviews on the net concerning these 2 places. Any recommendations? How much are you guys paying for your places? When are you moving in? I'd like to get your aparment search input. Thanks!

If you subscribe to the UOP housing forum, Kathy will send you e-mail if someone wants to share his/her places or a list of condos/ apartment available around UOP. There're many of them available at this time. Price ranges from 1500 to 2200/month for 2bd/1bath.

Thanks Ricky. I didn't notice "2004" in your post. Good luck with the apartment search. Let us know what you find.

I'm living in non UOP housing. I found my apartment using craigslist.org. It is great because there are many new listings every day and it is free. My apartment is near Upper Market/Castro so I will be taking the bus to school.

Here are some other housing resources that may be of use.

Listing Services:

Apartments Unlimited
2285 Jackson Street
415-771-0447

Metro Rent
2021 Fillmore Street
415-563-7368
metrorent.com

Rent Tech
4054 18th Street
415-863-7368
rentech.com

Online Services:

Apartment Guide
apartmentguide.com

Craigslist
craigslist.org

Monster Moving
monstermoving.com

Rent Net
rent.net

San Francisco Apartment Rentals
sfgate.com

Spring Street
springstreet.com

Rental Agencies:

American Property Exchange
2800 Van Ness Avenue
415-863-8484

Rental Solutions
369 Hayes Street
415-522-5600

Property Managers:

Skyline Realty
2101 Market Street
415-861-2284

Trinity Properties
333 Bay Street
415-433-3333

The Union Group
1700A Union Street
415-202-7444

Hope this helps!

Following is a list of available apartments/condos/studios available around UOP from the UOP housing list.

If you need more listing please let me know or you can subscribe to the UOP housing list directly.

Thanks to the forum, I get 2 bds/1bath apartments for 1600/month just two blocks from UOP building.

Studio Apartment for rent just a short walk to school.
2890 Broderick/ California
$1200/mo

Large sunny, quiet, hardwood floors, 3 large closets, seperate eat-in-
kitchen, Gas stove, close to bus stop.

Open house Sunday's from Noon-2:00
Contact Carlos at (415) 563-8318

===========================================

Studio Apartment for rent just 1 block from UOP
2402 California Street / Fillmore
$900/mo
No Parking
No Pets

(415) 923-1094

============================================

Two 1 bedroom apartments for rent across from CPMC California Campus
in Laurel Heights.

3775 California Street
Both apartments have 5 rooms, hardwood floors, Garbage, water, & heat
is included in the price

#1 $1375/mo
#9 $1425/mo on top floor with view

(415) 386-6400

=============================================

2 bedroom 1 bath apartment for rent in the Inner Richmond District.
2835 California Street / 11th Ave.
$1700/mo garbage incl.
Hardwood floors

Contact Lu at (415) 668-1067

Thanks to everyone for all of your help and input on housing! It's good to see that we're all already developing a good sense for UOP's humanistic approach.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm no longer homeless. I found a 2 bedroom at Grosvenor Court, one of the recommended apartments by UOP, for $1700. Not too bad I guess considering it's in Pacific Heights and only 3 blocks from the school. Thanks again for your help.

Congrats Ricky! :clap:

Just got a packet with information for our laptops.

Moving into UOP apartments on July 2. Anybody else moving in that day too? Can we get our keys from security anytime?

I was told that we can't move in until the 5th of July. And yes, you can get the key from security.

Alexii-

They might be allowing students to move in at different days. I looked at the housing memo again and it definately says my move in date can start "on or after July 2, 2003."

My move in date is July 4th, but I probably won't move into the apt until Sat or Sun. Anyone else getting a little anxious? Only 2 more weeks left! I can?t wait to meet all you guys.

All set! Let the games begin! :D

I'm just wondering when everyone's moving in...can't believe school starts next week.

I move in Monday, July 7th.
I think this is the last day to move in.:( I guess I'm just really excited.
Do you think they pro-rate the first month since we move in after the 1st? I hope so.