UoP School of Dentistry Class of 2024* Interview/Acceptance Thread

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my rejection email today via email. I was expecting that since I applied in December. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Are they still interviewing?
My interview (March 8th) sounded like they were at the end of the cycle and they talked a lot about waitlist spots. They never explicitly said they are done but I am making an assumption they are.

Reactions: 1 user
My interview (March 8th) sounded like they were at the end of the cycle and they talked a lot about waitlist spots. They never explicitly said they are done but I am making an assumption they are.
Do you happen to know if the class is already full?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi are you guys on the waitlist or the alternate list?
The email said waitlist but I had to pay a refundable $200 "alternate fee".

How much does the WL at UOP move? In previous years the thread said 1/3 get off of it but that seems like a lot and word of mouth.

Last edited:
Oh okay, I only asked because I have an interview on the week of April 5 so I’m guessing the interviews left are for waitlist spots
If they are possibly interviewing for WL spots does that mean the WL moves a lot?

Is there a difference between the waitlist and alternate list for UOP? The initial email said that I was on the waitlist but I just got the confirmation email for my $200 deposit and it says that I have confirmed my place on the alternate list

Has anyone been able to get a hold of admissions via phone call? I've tried several times!

Does anyone know when deposits are due for current admits?

Are they still conducting interviews for this cycle? I still have not heard back about the status of my application (it still says under review) and I submitted my application mid-July

Are they still conducting interviews for this cycle? I still have not heard back about the status of my application (it still says under review) and I submitted my application mid-July
They are not conducting any more interviews :( I had my interview this past week and they said our interview group was the last one

I emailed the office and they said that there is no difference between alternate and waitlist. Also, they said that the WL is not ranked. This is contrary to what has been going on in the previous years. Does anyone have any insight on this?

To those who are wait listed at UOP but have an acceptance at another school, I would consider it a blessing in disguise and happily move on if I were you. I have many friends and acquaintances who have graduated or are currently attending UOP and a sizable number of them tell me that if they could go back, they would "highly consider" picking another school. UOP is the "only 3 year program in the nation" which is used as a marketing tactic to convince pre-dents to sign up in order to get an extra year of earning potential. They conveniently down play how you end up paying more for their 3 years than most other schools' 4 years and how toxic and stressful the program naturally is due to the time constraint. I would like you all to keep in mind that this one school isn't pulling some "3 year miracle" that the other schools have never tried before. There were dental schools in the past that were 3 year programs but they switched to 4 year eventually due to changing requirements, standards, and curriculum over time. I am decently confident that even UOP knows that the 3 year model is becoming less and less desirable and sustainable as time goes on. It seems that a notable number of the students tend to be Californians who did not get into UCLA, UCSF, or USC. Of course, there are others who had different reasons. I personally believe UOP has stayed a 3 year school due to profit motives (more money made per student per unit of time), glaring lack of name brand recognition (compared to UCSF, UCLA, USC for example), desire to stay attractive as a choice compared to their competition, and overall lack of genuine care for students' well-being. Back in 2016, a first-year dental student committed suicide which should make a person wonder what exactly triggered that tragic decision. I don't say all of this to be a downer or pessimistic individual. I am posting this so that people who have a choice to make can do a better job making the choice that is truly best for them. Dental school is undeniably challenging, but at UOP wouldn't you think it would be more difficult just to cross the finish line let alone specialize? I honestly wish I posted this earlier in the cycle but I felt bad saying such negative things. However, I also feel it should be talked about for purposes of honesty and transparency. Better late than never I guess.

Last edited:
To those who are wait listed at UOP but have an acceptance at another school, I would consider it a blessing in disguise and happily move on if I were you. I have many friends and acquaintances who have graduated or are currently attending UOP and a sizable number of them tell me that if they could go back, they would "highly consider" picking another school. UOP is the "only 3 year program in the nation" which is used as a marketing tactic to convince pre-dents to sign up in order to get an extra year of earning potential. They conveniently down play how you end up paying more for their 3 years than most other schools' 4 years and how toxic and stressful the program naturally is due to the time constraint. I would like you all to keep in mind that this one school isn't pulling some "3 year miracle" that the other schools have never tried before. There were dental schools in the past that were 3 year programs but they switched to 4 year eventually due to changing requirements, standards, and curriculum over time. I am decently confident that even UOP knows that the 3 year model is becoming less and less desirable and sustainable as time goes on. It seems that a notable number of the students tend to be Californians who did not get into UCLA, UCSF, or USC. Of course, there are others who had different reasons. I personally believe UOP has stayed a 3 year school due to profit motives (more money made per student per unit of time), glaring lack of name brand recognition (compared to UCSF, UCLA, USC for example), desire to stay attractive as a choice compared to their competition, and overall lack of genuine care for students' well-being. Back in 2016, a first-year dental student committed suicide which I feel is a tangible and real-world representation of how physically and mentally grueling being a UOP dental student can be. I don't say all of this to be a downer or pessimistic individual. I am posting this so that people who have a choice to make can do a better job making the choice that is truly best for them. Dental school is undeniably challenging, but at UOP wouldn't you think it would be more difficult just to cross the finish line let alone specialize? I honestly wish I posted this earlier in the cycle but I felt bad saying such negative things. However, I also feel it should be talked about for purposes of honesty and transparency. Better late than never I guess.
This is so slanted that I can’t help but think you’re on the waitlist and trying to persuade others to turn down their offer in hopes of a spot opening up for you...

Reactions: 3 users
This is so slanted that I can’t help but think you’re on the waitlist and trying to persuade others to turn down their offer in hopes of a spot opening up for you...
so true! i'm not even attending UOP and that post is legit #fakenews. gotta stand up for my friends at the school and the good people who are part of the Dugoni School family. gotta love the fake account to post some crazy, unfounded and unsubstantiated BS. disclaimer, i chose to attend a state school because it was cheaper for me and my family, but the dugoni school was my dream school.

FYI, the school doesn't just tout the three-year program, if you truly knew what the dugoni school was about. there are a lof of my friends who attended UCs, johns hopkins who chose to attend UOP because it is a good program not because it was their second choice.

and this person had the audacity to talk about someone's life, someone they didn't know, who lost his life without knowing the facts??? what kind of human being is that person -- oh, someone who didn't get into dental school or UOP. SMH. i hope this person also realizes why they weren't admitted to UOP, prob because the school saw through your BS, craziness and being unfit for the culture and the profession -- this also scares me ... to think someone who posted that is going to be a doctor, healthcare provider! unprofessional, unethical, and is delusional.

good luck to you and if you ever practice, i pray for you.

Last edited:
I actually got accepted to UOP and other schools in an earlier cycle. I ultimately chose to go to dental school elsewhere. I just wanted to shed some light on the negative aspects of this school spoken straight from friends and peers who attended. People representing the school can talk about the "Dugoni family", "humanism", and any other good-sounding buzzwords. At the end of the day, they are all just empty words. Based on the evidence and the testimony from students who attended UOP, it appears to me that this school is pretty malicious when taking all factors into account. I have been told their curriculum is inherently more draining and toxic due to some unnecessarily punitive teaching philosophies and the brutal nature of the "only 3 year program in the nation". After all the negative feedback I have seen based on the notable sample size that I have, I simply do not believe that UOP's tactics are ethical or moral which is why I spoke up. I understand that my post was notably negative but I feel like it is important to present a more holistic truth, not just what the school wants you to think. I have nothing to gain by posting here. I am not even applying this cycle. I only wanted to present the other side of the coin that seems to be blatantly ignored and downplayed by UOP for the sake of getting students to sign up with them and not go elsewhere. If you don't want to give credence to what I said, then feel free to ignore. Ignorance is bliss until it's not.

You seem more focused on trying to discredit me than actually listening and engaging with what I have to say. I am not "lying" or "faking". I have no motive to do so. But if you want to believe that, then it's fine by me. I guess sometimes people are unwilling to look at things from a perspective that doesn't align with theirs.

I actually got accepted to UOP and other schools in an earlier cycle. I ultimately chose to go to dental school elsewhere. I just wanted to shed some light on the negative aspects of this school spoken straight from friends and peers who attended. People representing the school can talk about the "Dugoni family", "humanism", and any other good-sounding buzzwords. At the end of the day, they are all just empty words. Based on the evidence and the testimony from students who attended UOP, it appears to me that this school is pretty malicious when taking all factors into account. I have been told their curriculum is inherently more draining and toxic due to some unnecessarily punitive teaching philosophies and the brutal nature of the "only 3 year program in the nation". After all the negative feedback I have seen based on the notable sample size that I have, I simply do not believe that UOP's tactics are ethical or moral which is why I spoke up. I understand that my post was notably negative but I feel like it is important to present a more holistic truth, not just what the school wants you to think. I have nothing to gain by posting here. I am not even applying this cycle. I only wanted to present the other side of the coin that seems to be blatantly ignored and downplayed by UOP for the sake of getting students to sign up with them and not go elsewhere. If you don't want to give credence to what I said, then feel free to ignore. Ignorance is bliss until it's not.

Your posts are disingenuous, baseless, and lack specific examples. I’m not sure if you’re even in dental school, but news flash, all dental schools are challenging (in more ways than just academic)! With your logic should students outright avoid schools simply because they are rigorous?

You wrote a whole essay to say UoP was malicious (and doubled down on this) just because they are an accelerated program, LOL. As if they deceived their students by failing to tell them it was a 3 year program. Or lied and said dental school was going to be easy. Your advice was overly generalized and was only projecting your own insecurities onto others. Either that or you were legitimately trying to dissuade others from attending this school so you could increase your chances of being admitted off the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
Despite these two individuals doing everything they can to discredit me, if anyone else is on the UOP waitlist and has general or decision-making questions, feel free to private message me. I believe I have the perspective to help you make the right choice for your specific situation and preferences.

Yes, solicit advice from a random pre-dent who provided zero specific examples and has a clear bias and distaste towards UoP 😂

These aren't blindly biased or unfounded claims I am making. Dental school is hard but it's inherently much worse when you are doing it in 3 years when every other school in the country does it in 4. Also, I have been told by insiders that UOP is notably harsh and unforgiving with grading and curriculum after you start with them. After July, many students tend to realize that the "Dugoni family" and "humanism" are meaningless words that were used to get them to attend.

so true! i'm not even attending UOP and that post is legit #fakenews. gotta stand up for my friends at the school and the good people who are part of the Dugoni School family. gotta love the fake account to post some crazy, unfounded and unsubstantiated BS. disclaimer, i chose to attend a state school because it was cheaper for me and my family, but the dugoni school was my dream school.

FYI, the school doesn't just tout the three-year program, if you truly knew what the dugoni school was about. there are a lof of my friends who attended UCs, johns hopkins who chose to attend UOP because it is a good program not because it was their second choice.

and this person had the audacity to talk about someone's life, someone they didn't know, who lost his life without knowing the facts??? what kind of human being is that person -- oh, someone who didn't get into dental school or UOP. SMH. i hope this person also realizes why they weren't admitted to UOP, prob because the school saw through your BS, craziness and being unfit for the culture and the profession -- this also scares me ... to think someone who posted that is going to be a doctor, healthcare provider! unprofessional, unethical, and is delusional.

good luck to you and if you ever practice, i pray for you.
I am proud of you for making that choice. You really dodged a bullet without even realizing. I just want to help others do the same if possible before they hate themselves for it later. What I am saying is not at all an attack on the students of the school. I am friends with several of them. I presented some notably problematic and undeniable realities about UOP in particular since I believe they should be brought to light.

Last edited:
Haven’t heard anything yet :( were you all placed on the waitlist or alternate list? Is there a difference?

Haven’t heard anything yet :( were you all placed on the waitlist or alternate list? Is there a difference?
I'm waitlisted but when I emailed admissions they referred to it as my "alternate status". It seems as if they are the same? Not positive

I'm waitlisted but when I emailed admissions they referred to it as my "alternate status". It seems as if they are the same? Not positive
Okay, thanks! My email said something like “I’m pleased to inform you that the admissions committee has recommended you as an alternate” but I think I heard someone say on here there’s no difference between the two, not totally sure either :/

Okay, thanks! My email said something like “I’m pleased to inform you that the admissions committee has recommended you as an alternate” but I think I heard someone say on here there’s no difference between the two, not totally sure either :/
That’s what my email says too.

That’s what my email says too.
Mine said you are placed on the waitlist and that I have to pay the alternate list fee. It seems like we may have gotten different emails.