Upcoming Interview-Husband with Cancer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

monsterbrain

Drinking for sanity.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an interview scheduled for next Friday. One of my greatest accomplishments (I think) could also be my biggest obstacle for acceptance: my husband has colon cancer.

He was diagnosed in December, 2006 and had immediate surgery to remove the tumor, which had perforated five different sections of his colon. The cancer was Stage III/IV, and my husband went through five weeks of radiation + chemo + xeloda then six months of chemo alone (he could only handle about 5 months though). During this time, Spring '07, I was unable to attend college because I had to take care of him, my kids, my house--everything. I was only three classes away from finishing my pre-reqs so pharmacy school was put on hold for a year.

Fast forward one year. I am ready to begin pharmacy school this fall, and my husband is doing great. He is in remission, I guess, the oncologist has just never used that term. I'm proud of the fact that I was able to finish up my Fall '06 term in the midst of our crisis and complete all pre-reqs with a 3.72 GPA. I would like to use this as "proof" of my dedication to be a pharmacist; however, I'm afraid that the school might see it as a detriment. For example, what if he gets sick again, how will I be able to continue pharmacy school. Heck, I even wonder about that myself.

I would appreciate any feedback on this situation, especially from any pharmacy school administrators out there. Thanks.
 
I have an interview scheduled for next Friday. One of my greatest accomplishments (I think) could also be my biggest obstacle for acceptance: my husband has colon cancer.

He was diagnosed in December, 2006 and had immediate surgery to remove the tumor, which had perforated five different sections of his colon. The cancer was Stage III/IV, and my husband went through five weeks of radiation + chemo + xeloda then six months of chemo alone (he could only handle about 5 months though). During this time, Spring '07, I was unable to attend college because I had to take care of him, my kids, my house--everything. I was only three classes away from finishing my pre-reqs so pharmacy school was put on hold for a year.

Fast forward one year. I am ready to begin pharmacy school this fall, and my husband is doing great. He is in remission, I guess, the oncologist has just never used that term. I'm proud of the fact that I was able to finish up my Fall '06 term in the midst of our crisis and complete all pre-reqs with a 3.72 GPA. I would like to use this as "proof" of my dedication to be a pharmacist; however, I'm afraid that the school might see it as a detriment. For example, what if he gets sick again, how will I be able to continue pharmacy school. Heck, I even wonder about that myself.

I would appreciate any feedback on this situation, especially from any pharmacy school administrators out there. Thanks.

Wow, that's a really, really rough situation you've managed to walk through; I admire your strength.

I think you could use vague terminology like "a serious medical issue affecting my husband," and then use your best judgment during the interview to decide if you should go further (you may be able to 'read' their reactions to see which direction you should go). You could also mention that you became intrigued with pharmacy and pharmacology during your husband's treatment, and maybe point out your own personal strengths (which appear to be many).

I wish you luck.... in all things.
 
I have an interview scheduled for next Friday. One of my greatest accomplishments (I think) could also be my biggest obstacle for acceptance: my husband has colon cancer.

He was diagnosed in December, 2006 and had immediate surgery to remove the tumor, which had perforated five different sections of his colon. The cancer was Stage III/IV, and my husband went through five weeks of radiation + chemo + xeloda then six months of chemo alone (he could only handle about 5 months though). During this time, Spring '07, I was unable to attend college because I had to take care of him, my kids, my house--everything. I was only three classes away from finishing my pre-reqs so pharmacy school was put on hold for a year.

Fast forward one year. I am ready to begin pharmacy school this fall, and my husband is doing great. He is in remission, I guess, the oncologist has just never used that term. I'm proud of the fact that I was able to finish up my Fall '06 term in the midst of our crisis and complete all pre-reqs with a 3.72 GPA. I would like to use this as "proof" of my dedication to be a pharmacist; however, I'm afraid that the school might see it as a detriment. For example, what if he gets sick again, how will I be able to continue pharmacy school. Heck, I even wonder about that myself.

I would appreciate any feedback on this situation, especially from any pharmacy school administrators out there. Thanks.

I can relate to your situation, my father is very ill (although not with cancer) and a good portion of my personal statement was based on me taking care of him ((shows compassion, care, responsibility... etc - all good character traits for a pharmacist to have)). I think you should definitely mention this during your interview, at the very least, do not shy away from it. In my honest opinion, it only makes you look like a caring/compassionate person and that's definitely something that the admissions committee look for in the students they admit!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are a strong wife and mother, and that is so admirable. In my opnion, I would not keep it from being said. It makes you a stronger candidate, showing your compassion, your hard work, and your desire to be in a health field. They may ask hwo you can handle it during school, and like you said, you're wondering about it yourself...discuss this with your husband. I'm sure you're applying to pharmacy school with his encouragement, and most likely, both of you as a loving couple can come up with a situation. You can talk about the support your husband gives you for pursuing a pharmacy career, talk about how situations like these drive you further to want to do pharmacy etc...

All the best to you!
 
I have an interview scheduled for next Friday. One of my greatest accomplishments (I think) could also be my biggest obstacle for acceptance: my husband has colon cancer.

Fast forward one year. I am ready to begin pharmacy school this fall, and my husband is doing great. He is in remission, I guess, the oncologist has just never used that term. I'm proud of the fact that I was able to finish up my Fall '06 term in the midst of our crisis and complete all pre-reqs with a 3.72 GPA. I would like to use this as "proof" of my dedication to be a pharmacist; however, I'm afraid that the school might see it as a detriment. For example, what if he gets sick again, how will I be able to continue pharmacy school. Heck, I even wonder about that myself.

I would appreciate any feedback on this situation, especially from any pharmacy school administrators out there. Thanks.

I wouldn't use this as "proof of your dedication to be a pharmacist" unless this singular experience drove you to a profession in pharmacy, but instead I would use this as an example of how you've overcome hardships, how you have learned to manage your time, how've you learned to manage stressful situations, and through this experience, you've become more compassionate and more determined.

I'd also even say, that through your husbands experience you've learned the importance of human life, and how fleeting it really can be, and therefore, it has motivated you even more to finish school to the best of your ability, and that these traits (as a whole) will help you to succeed in pharmacy school, and ultimately, as a pharmacist.

On your interview day, they are going to ask you a variety of questions besides "why you want to be a pharmacist." They'll ask you about failure, about hardships, about dedication/teamwork/compassion. You will have the opportunity to talk about your personal experiences, and remember to relate it to pharmacy somehow.

If you are worried about your husbands health while in pharmacy school, talk to one of the administrators (who isn't interviewing you), and ask them how the school accomodates students who have to leave because of medical reasons. I believe most schools will allow you to defer one year (but you gotta double check that).

Btw, i'm not adcom or anything, I'm just speaking through my own experience.

good luck
 
I have an interview scheduled for next Friday. One of my greatest accomplishments (I think) could also be my biggest obstacle for acceptance: my husband has colon cancer.

He was diagnosed in December, 2006 and had immediate surgery to remove the tumor, which had perforated five different sections of his colon. The cancer was Stage III/IV, and my husband went through five weeks of radiation + chemo + xeloda then six months of chemo alone (he could only handle about 5 months though). During this time, Spring '07, I was unable to attend college because I had to take care of him, my kids, my house--everything. I was only three classes away from finishing my pre-reqs so pharmacy school was put on hold for a year.

Dear monsterbrain,

I would like to extend my sincerest thoughts and solemn prayers to you and your husband. You and your husband demonstrate virtuous solidarity by persevering through such a trying time. You are an inspiration to all of us. If your experience has strengthend or motivated you, as it unequivocally has, by all means share your story with the world. Your success story offers new hope to those in which hope has all but dwindled. And you may be surprised to find out just how many empathetic people have endured similar battles. Empathy is such an important quality to posess as a healthcare professional; empathy predicates compassion, and compassion towards those who are ill is the ultimate hallmark of a great healthcare professional.

Monsterbrain, I am confident that you will realize your aspirations. Please send your husband my best regards. May God bless you both.
🙂
 
Thank you all for your kind words and great responses. All of your suggestions have really helped me in preparing for my interview. You are all inspirations to me. 🙂