update letter issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbujaMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i wanted to send an update letter to a school that waitlisted me. In the waitlist email they said to update with grades. the only problem was that this past semester, I've taken the fewest credits and received the lowest grade I've ever gotten (B). My only fear is that if I now include my grades with the update it could hurt me because theyll see I had my worst semester in 3 years (I know a B isnt murder its just that it made this semester's gpa the lowest when i was on a steady-to-slightly upwards trend). Oh and another note, my gpa this semester ended up at about the schools average gpa for matrics (so my overall gpa is still higher).

Should I:

A- Update with grades (either mail transcript or include letter)
B- Send update but not the grades
C- Not update at all and keep my fingers and toes crossed.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

B and C aren't responsible options.

Choice A. You have to update with grades if you want then to still consder you. They have asked for an update, and specifically said to put in grades. If you do B, then you are ignoring their request and it will not look good. If C, then they will assume you are not interested in your waitlist spot at all.

Getting a B is not awful and probably will not make or break you at this point. Or if you have a valid excuse (like screwing up one of the exams because you were interviewing at said school), explain the grade in your update.

Members don't see this ad :)
A, but also highlight the other activities you did during this time. Really focus on those other accomplaishments.

What were the other grades?

Not sending or reporting the grades is not an option- especially since they asked for them. This will make you look uninterested or as if you are hiding something.

You don't really have much of a choice here - not sending a letter (when instructed to) shows that you have little or no interest in the school. Whatever you do, definitely DO NOT do what I've seen a few suggest before and try to "explain" your grades - everyone has off semesters (no one is perfect!).