Update letter or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mystique

The Procrastinator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I graduated last May, and I'm on some waitlists (not all are ranked). I haven't done anything in the academic arena since last Dec (I took two grad classes "for fun" and got As in both...yes, I'm a nerd. :) ). I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to send an update letter b/c I'm not sure what I'd include. I volunteer at a homeless shelter, a free community clinic and at the hospital (but I've been doing these for years, so they don't qualify as anything "new"), and I have this "job" where I do some public relations stuff for a non-profit organization. In lieu of an update letter, should I just get my ex-advisor to write a letter or make a phone call on my behalf?? Or, should I just send a "strong" letter of interest to these schools?
Since I think your input is worth more than a penny, I'll offer you guys a dime for your thoughts on this matter.
Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you should send a strong letter of interest and in it include an update on the activities that you have been doing, as in "and i am continuing to work in this homeless shelter"

combine both..butyou should definately write...ranked or unranked list

I'd send a letter of interest and have your ex-advisor write a letter for you as well.

Think about it this way...Every time you send them something they have to open your file and give you another look. Keeps your name/file fresh in their minds which can only be an advantage. I wouldn't recommend this if you were only sending them fluff, but you've got some substantive updates that they should know about.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the update letter of rec have to be 'confidential"? that is, does the letter have to come with a 'signed confidential statement' or with the recommender's signature across the envelope?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by c33:
•Does the update letter of rec have to be 'confidential"? that is, does the letter have to come with a 'signed confidential statement' or with the recommender's signature across the envelope?•••••From what I've been told by my pre-med advisor and other university faculty who review applications, YES. For whatever reason, they don't take the letter as seriously if it's forwarded by you, the student, or if you have not waived your right to have access to it. Obviously, if the letter is part of your committee letter, and is coming directly from the pre-med committee, it's regarded the same as though the letter writer him/herself sent it.