Updating Medical Schools: Publication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehwatsupdoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand that it is important to update schools about a publication that has been accepted or in press.

I am 2nd author in a case report that is to be published online sometime this month. I already mentioned to the schools that it was accepted in the primary app. Is there any merit to updating the schools that the paper is now available online for viewing?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't update the school if the manuscript went from "accepted" to "in press". I would update if a new manuscript went from "submitted to journal" to "in press."

I would update if a new manuscript went from "submitted to journal" to "in press."
I honestly would even wait post-interview for this. 1 publication is rarely going to move a school to interview someone they'd otherwise not even consider (okay, maybe if you had discovered something truly extraordinary that's different).

But post-interview the margins are much finer and a few meaningful new things or 1 additional pub might push you over the edge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly would even wait post-interview for this. 1 publication is rarely going to move a school to interview someone they'd otherwise not even consider (okay, maybe if you had discovered something truly extraordinary that's different).

But post-interview the margins are much finer and a few meaningful new things or 1 additional pub might push you over the edge.

+1. In fact, most schools only accept updates post-interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Another question while I'm here...I will definitely be sending an update to schools soon about a different thing important to my application (a recent promotion to a big leadership role). Does it matter if I send this now being that it is so earlier in the cycle? I was complete mid-July.

You know not every school
accepts updates right? And many only accept them after interviews. So you probably should figure out the policy for schools on your list. You don't want to be the person that thinks the rules don't apply to him. Also it's early. What if something else comes up that is update worthy? Are you going to keep sending updates? Maybe wAit and see what else develops and send one big news worthy update later in the cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Another question while I'm here...I will definitely be sending an update to schools soon about a different thing important to my application (a recent promotion to a big leadership role). Does it matter if I send this now being that it is so earlier in the cycle? I was complete mid-July.

Do it after you've had your interview. Like other posters have said, unless the update is significant(like you found the cure for cancer or something like that), it's rarely going to move the needle. Just wait till the winter after you've gotten some interviews.