Upenn acceptance for 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G.P said:
When i was interviewed ,we were 6 people and they told us they take 6-7 people on each interview day.They have 3 interviews, each of which lasts for 15 mins to half an hour but not more than that. :thumbup:

Thanks G.P :)

Members don't see this ad.

UPSY1 said:
But if you want a cheep school, BU is in top of the list, cost you only 105,000 compare with 125,000 for UPENN.

Hi,
Is this calculation for Bu(105,000$) and Upenn(125,000) including living expenses?..If not do any one know how much will be the living expense for each state for the 2 and 2.5 yrs we spend in Bu & Upenn respectively?

In addition, from the BU acceptance package, I noticed that the first year tuition plus all dental school related cost is >70K this year. They have not determined next year's cost. You probably need another 18K-25K for living cost in either of the two cities.

dentaldoc said:
Hi,
Is this calculation for Bu(105,000$) and Upenn(125,000) including living expenses?..If not do any one know how much will be the living expense for each state for the 2 and 2.5 yrs we spend in Bu & Upenn respectively?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Does($125,000).... include the $16,000..... that we are supposed to pay for the summer program at UPENN????
Toothzone :luck:

The whole program in Penn is going to cost us 140k+20k=160k plus may be otherthings.So penn is going to be a much more expensive course than BU(140k) approximately.

But the interview is pretty much relaxed,Dr.lopez is a very nice friendly person.So don't have any prior assumptions on her.Most of the staff are friendly and coperative.Like allways mentioned by so many fellow students be yourself and speak out the truth.

Have a good night sleep as the whole day can drain your energy emotionally and physically. And have a good full stomach breakfast.

But my sincere advice is to keep your cool !!!

pallavi rakesh

pallavi rakesh said:
The whole program in Penn is going to cost us 140k+20k=160k plus may be otherthings.So penn is going to be a much more expensive course than BU(140k) approximately.

But the interview is pretty much relaxed,Dr.lopez is a very nice friendly person.So don't have any prior assumptions on her.Most of the staff are friendly and coperative.Like allways mentioned by so many fellow students be yourself and speak out the truth.

Have a good night sleep as the whole day can drain your energy emotionally and physically. And have a good full stomach breakfast.

But my sincere advice is to keep your cool !!!

pallavi rakesh

Wow do we need to spend >160k @ upenn? & it's 2.5 yrs?..seems like it is equally expensive like california schools :eek:

and Bu is a pretty good package if it's going to cost us only 140k for the 2yrs including living & all expenses

Upenn is not 2.5 years. You will get in April and will graduate in May two years later. So, It basically a 2 years program, the same as BU. In addition, I don't think BU's first 70K+ fee includes any living and dining cost. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I think the overall cost for two schools are pretty much the same. The high living cost in Boston will balance out the higher tuition in Penn.

dentaldoc said:
Wow do we need to spend >160k @ upenn? & it's 2.5 yrs?..seems like it is equally expensive like california schools :eek:

and Bu is a pretty good package if it's going to cost us only 140k for the 2yrs including living & all expenses

Woodedbend said:
Upenn is not 2.5 years. You will get in April and will graduate in May two years later. So, It basically a 2 years program, the same as BU. In addition, I don't think BU's first 70K+ fee includes any living and dining cost. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I think the overall cost for two schools are pretty much the same. The high living cost in Boston will balance out the higher tuition in Penn.

Is upenn 2 yr program?..that's something that I din't know till now :eek:
Thanks for the info dude :) some one throw some light regarding the total cost of Bu & Upenn

dentaldoc said:
Is upenn 2 yr program?..that's something that I din't know till now :eek:
Thanks for the info dude :) some one throw some light regarding the total cost of Bu & Upenn

Hey Dentaldoc & ocdentist, i also have interview on 1st dec in upenn..
dentaldoc if ur male n wish to share room in penn, pls let me know.
ocdentist do u have any info about the hotels around..or if some one can add some input.. i will greatly appreciate that.

All the best who r waiting for their fedex..n congrates for the people already in.

Woodedbend said:
you are wrong my friend.
1st. buston is 21 months program, from august till may.
2nd, 70 k with everything, room and boards, living expenses, transportation plus health insurance and state of art laptop.

BU is 21 months , cost 74,000 first year( with living expenses) + 2,000 medical insurance= 76,000
UPENN is 23 months , cost 72,000 first year ( with living) + 20,000( the summer program) .
The only diference between them is the 20,000 for the summer program at UPENN (17,000 the program + 3,000 living for 2,5 months)
The other diference is the living expenses: Boston is very expenseve place, one bedroon close to BU is over 1,000 and they give you only 15,000 for living and i don't know if it is included the medical insurance , which is 2000. With this money you can not offort to live by yourself, you have to share with somebodyelse.
For UPENN the living expenses are very cheap, you can find a nice 1 bedroom very close to UPENN with 500-700 , and they give you 15,000 for living expenses for a year. You don't need all this money only for one person, it is enough only 12,000.
BU total=152,000
UPENN total= 164,000 with 6,000 extra for you.If you don't spend it will be only 158,000.
Finally, BU is with 6,000 less than UPENN per total.

UPSY1 said:
BU is 21 months , cost 74,000 first year( with living expenses) + 2,000 medical insurance= 76,000
UPENN is 23 months , cost 72,000 first year ( with living) + 20,000( the summer program) .
The only diference between them is the 20,000 for the summer program at UPENN (17,000 the program + 3,000 living for 2,5 months)
The other diference is the living expenses: Boston is very expenseve place, one bedroon close to BU is over 1,000 and they give you only 15,000 for living and i don't know if it is included the medical insurance , which is 2000. With this money you can not offort to live by yourself, you have to share with somebodyelse.
For UPENN the living expenses are very cheap, you can find a nice 1 bedroom very close to UPENN with 500-700 , and they give you 15,000 for living expenses for a year. You don't need all this money only for one person, it is enough only 12,000.
BU total=152,000
UPENN total= 164,000 with 6,000 extra for you.If you don't spend it will be only 158,000.

This was really cool UPSY1...
I have my Interview at both BU and Upenn... so I;ll have a alot of threads to read now.... :scared:
Well congrats at your admit to Upenn... As i read that somewhere..
God Bless...

And because someone asked about the Hotels and stuff... i had this saved from one of the posts here at SDN...

Hope it Helps...

these are some useful websites that people going for the UPenn interview might want to check out:

check out this link from UPenn Dental website:
http://www.dental.upenn.edu/about/directions.html

about philadelphia taxicabs: you can even reserve a taxi online through this website but i am not sure how reliable they are
http://www.phltaxi.net/pages/fare-info.htm

on the above website there are also some more website links for philly which might be helpful.
phillyvisitor.com has discount hotel bookings at:
http://www.180096hotel.com/cgi-bin/...PVR&Dest=PHL

Members don't see this ad :)
UPSY1 said:
BU total=152,000

That's a splendid work :thumbup: ..Thanks for the figures pal :luck:

boston total in the financial section is 146k, that includes health insurance .

My idea is if you are alone , BU cost you less money than UPENN.
But if you have family and you move togheter , UPENN is better place.
CA schools ( UCSF, UCLA, USC) cost around 115,000, but it is very expensive to live there ( one bedroom in SF over 1000). UOP is very expensive cost 190,000. If you want to live in UOP's building is 950 per months sharing with somebody else.

UPSY1 said:
My idea is if you are alone , BU cost you less money than UPENN.
But if you have family and you move togheter , UPENN is better place.
CA schools ( UCSF, UCLA, USC) cost around 115,000, but it is very expensive to live there ( one bedroom in SF over 1000). UOP is very expensive cost 190,000. If you want to live in UOP's building is 950 per months sharing with somebody else.

Hi UPSY, were are you finally going UPENN or BU?

Heyyyyy!!!

Hello, PENN hopefuls! I don't recognize too many people on these threads anymore, I haven't logged on in months.. I am in the PENN Class of 2006.. I went through the exact same thing you are all going through right now and I know what a rough ride it is just waiting and hoping for the best. I wish you all get in to the school of your choice.. and if that school is Penn, then its going to be my pleasure welcoming you! :) Its so exciting for me to meet the candidates and find out who's from SDN, and talking about the "good old days" on the forum! :)

I am writing in for two reasons: Someone from the forum came in for an interview today and, having only read my posts, told the interviewer that she knew me from dental school in India. This interviewer cross checked with me and I could not provide any details on that candidate, and so she went from being someone the interviewer really liked to someone who wasn't entirely honest and the interviewer was upset. I feel really bad for her, I hope she gets into school anyway... I hear she was a truly excellent candidate. If you write to me via the forum (I will try and log in more often) I will know who you are and vouch for you. This goes for just about any school.

Second, feel free to ask me questions on the forum, like I said I will log in more often.. just don't send me private messages because this way everyone gets to learn from your question. :) There are so many myths and facts about every school, its funny how many things I wish I knew before I joined..

eg: MYTH: everyone who gets into PENN has a score above 90.
MYTH: You need research to get into PENN.

Surprised? :)

Good luck, everyone!

ToTaLLy_TaSha said:
Heyyyyy!!!

Hello, PENN hopefuls! I don't recognize too many people on these threads anymore, I haven't logged on in months.. I am in the PENN Class of 2006.. I went through the exact same thing you are all going through right now and I know what a rough ride it is just waiting and hoping for the best. I wish you all get in to the school of your choice.. and if that school is Penn, then its going to be my pleasure welcoming you! :) Its so exciting for me to meet the candidates and find out who's from SDN, and talking about the "good old days" on the forum! :)

I am writing in for two reasons: Someone from the forum came in for an interview today and, having only read my posts, told the interviewer that she knew me from dental school in India. This interviewer cross checked with me and I could not provide any details on that candidate, and so she went from being someone the interviewer really liked to someone who wasn't entirely honest and the interviewer was upset. I feel really bad for her, I hope she gets into school anyway... I hear she was a truly excellent candidate. If you write to me via the forum (I will try and log in more often) I will know who you are and vouch for you. This goes for just about any school.

Second, feel free to ask me questions on the forum, like I said I will log in more often.. just don't send me private messages because this way everyone gets to learn from your question. :) There are so many myths and facts about every school, its funny how many things I wish I knew before I joined..

eg: MYTH: everyone who gets into PENN has a score above 90.
MYTH: You need research to get into PENN.

Surprised? :)

Good luck, everyone!

Hey Tasha,
Welcome back :) ..Long time no see..I totally forgot that you are in Upenn :eek: ..How is it going?..Did u like the program & school?..One of my friend @NYU told me that it's been very hectic ever since she joined the school(started 2004)..I was wondering whether it's the same in all schools?

Nice to see u in the forum :) ..Keep in touch :luck:

healthy teeth said:
That was really great !!!
well I have also applied in UPenn ..MY stats r part 1-88, TOEFL 247 and GPA 3.56...I am just asking if i stand anywhere because i dont have any hope..and also i have applied just few days back..i know its too late... :(
I called upenn 2 weeks back asking if they have received my application..they told me that they have not received my ECE report..then i contacted ece and asked them to resend it... i called upenn again yesterday..now they r saying my part 1 score report is missing..i dont know what is happening..what r they doing..i have requested ada a month back to send the report...upenn told me to fax it..so i faxed them today...so i dont have anything to hope for..

Hey buddy,
Upenn require no official documents..they happily accept notarized copies of everything as far as I know..why don't u send them just the notarized copies of every thing :idea:

dentaldoc said:
Hey Tasha,
Welcome back :) ..Long time no see..I totally forgot that you are in Upenn :eek: ..How is it going?..Did u like the program & school?..One of my friend @NYU told me that it's been very hectic ever since she joined the school(started 2004)..I was wondering whether it's the same in all schools?

Nice to see u in the forum :) ..Keep in touch :luck:

Thank you dentaldoc!! Now that's a familiar name from some months ago... and who can forget the cute sleeping doggy! :) What is definitely NOT a MTYH is that school is very very hectic! I mean, that was never a secret, but no one is prepared for the stress and hard work. The summer program is the best part about the course... its relaxed, its fun, you really get to know your PASS classmates, there are no exams so everyone meets up after class, the weather is beautiful so all the PASS students get together to play soccer.. its awesome. And then regular school begins and you want to take three days off a week to just sleep, sleep, sleep. :( But oh well.. I wanted this so badly, I can't complain! :)

Looking forward to meeting you soon! I met K9 after her acceptance, and she's a sweetheart! :) Take care!

Hi Tasha

This is Nolls, Priya's sis to be more specific and to remind you. Dr. Dhamgani must have spoken to you about me,and she must have used my married name, which I am sure u dont know. You know me by my maiden name.
I have mailed at your hotmail address. call me ASAP.
I havent really used your name as a reference, I said you are one of the persons who told me that UPENN is good school and people are nice.. and all.
I'll be checking mails and SDN alomst every hour.
I am pretty tensed with this.
waiting to hear back from you

UABDentist said:
HI guys...
I had called upenn today and they told me that Ive been selected for an interview. Im really excited about it... its pretty late though...! Its on Feb 2nd 2005....
its doesnt matter that its late...as long as they are calling me for it..
Hurray!!!!
congrats u got interview call from upenn. :thumbup: ..can u tell me when did u apply..and what r ur stats..I have applied a week back..i dont think so they will consider such a late application..what do u say..
best of luck for ur inteview buddy

Hi Tasha

I dont know how to contact you, I have been pretty tensed the whole day!!!
We need to clear this misunderstanding as soon as possible. Tasha plz call me ASAP, check you hotmail for my number
waiting for your reply

health said:
Hi everybody,

I got acceptance from U Penn on 10/28/04.
Part-1-89, GPA-2.83 ece, Toefl-257, MPH, Research + dental assisting experience in US is around 3 yrs. I was interviewed on Oct 14. My interview was OK, grilled about my GPA.
I did not have many hopes seeing the credentials of many other applicants. I consider myself very fortunate.
I thank all the SDN members for their spirit to share very useful info about the whole process of getting into a dental school. I personally thank G.P, Arvind, International, dhee, Solafide74, Mariya,B.G, krishna, tooth mail and blue birdy for their support during my preperation for U Penn interview.
Best wishes to all of you.

Health
HI, WHAT DID THEY ASK YOU ABOUT YOUR GPA. I REALLY DON'T HAVE A GREAT ONE. I TOOK PART 1 AND GOT AN 82. THEY SENT ME A REJECTION LETTER, BUT I WAS SORT OF EXPECTING THAT, I'M PLANING ON RETAKEING PART 1. I'M JUST GONIG TO KEEP ON TRYING UNTILL I GET IN..

Hey Nolls.. I cleared it up, its all cool. Dr. D is wonderful. Good luck! :)

ToTaLLy_TaSha said:
Hey Nolls.. I cleared it up, its all cool. Dr. D is wonderful. Good luck! :)

Hello Tasha,
I have a Q for u..Is it true that every yr Upenn accepts only 6 Indians out of 35 seats they have :eek: ..I am wondering how many Indians are in your class?..Is SAM3 your batchmate?..It's been a while since he logged in :)

Did anyone who interviewed on 21st October hear from Upenn? since i have not heard from them so far, i guess the letter i ll b getting is not an acceptance letter. :rolleyes:

dentaldoc said:
Hello Tasha,
I have a Q for u..Is it true that every yr Upenn accepts only 6 Indians out of 35 seats they have :eek: ..I am wondering how many Indians are in your class?..Is SAM3 your batchmate?..It's been a while since he logged in :)

Hi dentaldoc..
No its not true. While it is true that Penn stresses a lot on diversity, which is why we have 27 nationalities among 35 students in my class, there is no fixed number alotted for any ethnicity. My present class has 8 indians.

Hi Tasha,
Can you tell us more information about the summer program at UPENN( when stars, how long it is, what will we study, how many classes) and the regular classes (how many exams are, when we start to practice, how many classes, what it is the schedule)
Thanks.

Hello guys,
It was nice meeting couple of sdn people on dec1st @Upenn :) ...My interview went good than I expected ;) ..Dr.Lopez said they will be sending acceptance letters within a week!..I was wondering how come they are sending acceptance letters in the 1st week of dec for the 2nd batch so fast! :confused: Does it mean that they won't be interviewing for the 2nd batch anymore?..

dentaldoc said:
Hello guys,
It was nice meeting couple of sdn people on dec1st @Upenn :) ...My interview went good than I expected ;) ..Dr.Lopez said they will be sending acceptance letters within a week!..I was wondering how come they are sending acceptance letters in the 1st week of dec for the 2nd batch so fast! :confused: Does it mean that they won't be interviewing for the 2nd batch anymore?..

hi,
i talked to Cindy today and she said they will have last interviews of the second round on wednesday and thursday and then they are going to have a meeting to decide the acceptance list from the second round. she also said that she will send the results away most probably on next Monday.

caninus_molarus said:
you are wrong my friend.
1st. buston is 21 months program, from august till may.
2nd, 70 k with everything, room and boards, living expenses, transportation plus health insurance and state of art laptop.

Do you know the dead line for applications at BU for IDP ?
thanks.

hi nallap,
it is feb 1st 2005.

cheers.....
bye.

ajs said:
hi,
i talked to Cindy today and she said they will have last interviews of the second round on wednesday and thursday and then they are going to have a meeting to decide the acceptance list from the second round. she also said that she will send the results away most probably on next Monday.

Thanks for the info..So 1 more week to go..the wait is killing...Did u attend the interview on dec 1st?

dentaldoc said:
Thanks for the info..So 1 more week to go..the wait is killing...Did u attend the interview on dec 1st?

hey,
i had an interview on 11th Nov.

Hello guys,
I was wondering if any one from the second batch(nov & dec) received acceptance letters already?..or else, are they going to send all 10 acceptance letters at a stretch in next week? :scared:

Hi dentaldoc,
I was interviewed on Nov 18th, & nothing yet from them! So just sitting tight & waiting.
All the Best,
Pearlindia.

hey guys,

I was interviewed on Nov 3rd, i know that the lucky 10 from the 2nd batch will be getting their acceptances next week. But does any one know how many students were approximately interviewed for this batch?

-pallavi rakesh

hi pallavi,
In my batch on Nov 18, there were 6 of us.
Wish you Luck!
Pearlindia.

pallavi rakesh said:
hey guys,

I was interviewed on Nov 3rd, i know that the lucky 10 from the 2nd batch will be getting their acceptances next week. But does any one know how many students were approximately interviewed for this batch?

-pallavi rakesh

My guess is that the number of candidates interviewed for 2nd batch(nov-dec) will be less compared to 1st & 3rd batch. I am guessing this becos the school will be closed by dec 17 till jan1st & on top of that they had 1 week thanksgiving holidays in November...

Or to compensate the holidays they might have had more interviews in weekdays to maintain a balance in the selection process which might not be favourable for the 2nd batch interviewies :D

Anyways goodluck for all those who r waitiing :luck:

In my batch on Nov 17th there were 9 of them.
Gosh!! its really so stressful to wait for the results!!
Good Luck to All of you.

We were 9 members too, as far as i know they have had 2 interviews per week.So my guess is 60-70 students for the 2nd batch and out of it 10 have been selected.

guys these are stricktly my guesses.Please dont make any conclusions with these figures.

pallavi rakesh said:
hey guys,

-pallavi rakesh

pallavi rakesh said:
We were 9 members too, as far as i know they have had 2 interviews per week.So my guess is 60-70 students for the 2nd batch and out of it 10 have been selected.

guys these are stricktly my guesses.Please dont make any conclusions with these figures.

Hi Pallavi,

Haven't u joined Boston yet?

pallavi rakesh said:

Hi Pallavi,
Congrats on your Penn interview!..So what about BU? ..I thought you have already been accepted at BU..!..How do you find Penn as compared to BU?Can you tell me something about your choices...
All the best :thumbup:
Toothzone

Hello guys,

To all those who are interviewed for the 2nd batch(nov-dec)-Did any of u felt any +ve sign?..what I mean is as soon as u r done with the interview did any of the interviewers say any thing like we will see u soon or something like that?..I am just curious :D

did u hear anything like that dentaldoc? Again just out of curiosity.:)

pallavi

dentaldoc said:
Hello guys,

To all those who are interviewed for the 2nd batch(nov-dec)-Did any of u felt any +ve sign?..what I mean is as soon as u r done with the interview did any of the interviewers say any thing like we will see u soon or something like that?..I am just curious :D

pallavi rakesh said:
did u hear anything like that dentaldoc? Again just out of curiosity.:)

pallavi

Hi Pallavi,
I thought I did. But I don't know whether they will be telling that to everyone they interview :laugh: Dr.Lopez said Hope, we will see you soon..But I think I screwed up the interview with one of the other interviewer..the other one went fine.

But guys, Dr. Lopez also mentioned to all even before the interview that some will think they did very well in the interview but they may be rejected :eek: & some will think that they totally screwed the interview but they may be accepted..

So you will never know till u receive any intimation from them :scared:

Now what we can do is wait for 5 more days patiently. Goodluck to all :luck:

Hello guys,
Pls do post any info regarding the second batch acceptances..Thanks :)

I got a dream that I received a rejection letter from Upenn :scared:
This wait period is like a nightmare to me :eek:
I hope we hear something this week..Goodluck guys :luck:

Hi there guys,
I spoke with Cindy now and she said all the letters for the second batch are going out today :scared:
Lets keep our fingers crossed :thumbup:
The wait is over finally..it's just a day or 2 we have to wait to receive the letters(what ever it is :eek: )