UPenn c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntoDVM2025

Illinois c/o 2025
Reaction score
I'm surprised a thread for UPenn hasn't been made earlier, OOS first time applicant here!

Members don't see this ad.

OOS first time applicant here too! I'm so anxious waiting to hear back, I can't believe we won't hear anything until end of December at the earliest! The waiting might be more stressful than doing the actual applications :lol:

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m also OOS first time applicant! Super excited about Penn’s program!

2nd year PennVet student here! Let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Ooh totally forgot to make one! 2nd time OOS applicant, and while I'm not a PennVet student, I do know the campus well & can advise folks on housing/stuff to do/the general Philly or South Jersey area. I can also attest that the admissions office is INCREDIBLY nice and helpful about everything, so don't hesitate to ask them anything!

OOS first time non-trad applicant! Is UPenn still doing interview this year?

1st time applicant, OOS. non-traditional. Toured the campus a few years ago though--super excited :) Good luck everyone!

Due to the limitations of interviews this year due to the... well, everything, feel free to reach out with questions about the campus and facilities. Penn has a very unique campus which some love and some don’t, so let me know if any of you have questions. I’ll try to be as honest as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Due to the limitations of interviews this year due to the... well, everything, feel free to reach out with questions about the campus and facilities. Penn has a very unique campus which some love and some don’t, so let me know if any of you have questions. I’ll try to be as honest as possible.
What do you love and not love about it? Part of me likes that there's a split campus (part of me thinks it will be a commuting pain) :) Thanks for being willing to help us out!

Members don't see this ad :)

Penn Vet is one of my dream schools, but it is just SOOOOOOOOO expensive! It is mentioned that they offer admission scholarships, any idea how much that is usually, and to what criteria they offer such scholarship?

What do you love and not love about it? Part of me likes that there's a split campus (part of me thinks it will be a commuting pain) :) Thanks for being willing to help us out!
What I love: I really love philly. That’s just personal preference. I like the city environment. The case load at the hospital is awesome. Tons of variety in the cases that are presented. We have some of the best clinicians in the country in my opinion who do some really incredible things. For example, we do kidney transplants in cats, are developing a cardiac valve replacement program, have really state of the art oncology services, and a bunch of other things. The curriculum is also being changed to give you guys a lot more hands-on experience, so while I won’t get that, you will. New Bolton Center, while a bit of a hike away, is a fantastic place with really cool opportunities. Also, the faculty are usually super helpful and make themselves very available. That extends to the clinicians. I can’t count the number of times I’ve reached out to our dermatology, nutrition, and behavior services for questions about either my own pet or just about something I was wondering about, and received a really great response. They’re very eager to teach.
Research opportunities are everywhere. I mean literally just ask any professor. You’ll easily find something.
The mentor/mentee program is nice. So you always have upperclassmen to ask for help

What I don’t love: first and foremost, New Bolton Center IS far away. About an hour. And you need a car to get there. So it can be a major hassle to do large animal things. I worked there all summer doing research and I didn’t really mind the commute only because I had nothing else to do. If you have labs there during the school year, taking two hours from your day just to drive can be really annoying. Especially when it’s the day before an exam.
Big downside- it’s expensive. Much more expensive than being in-state at a public school.
A lot of what I don’t love right now has to do with the curriculum and online learning, but that’s not something you’ll have to deal with. The whole curriculum is being overhauled and is set to be put in place for V’25, so you’ll get a much different experience from mine.

Overall I love the school. I love the faculty, and I think there’s a really good sense of helping everyone out. The competitiveness that people fear when entering a medical program is mostly not there, or at least not to the degree people fear. It has its good and its bad.

Reactions: 2 users
Penn Vet is one of my dream schools, but it is just SOOOOOOOOO expensive! It is mentioned that they offer admission scholarships, any idea how much that is usually, and to what criteria they offer such scholarship?
I didn’t come in on a recruitment scholarship, so I’m not the best person to ask about this. However, there are scholarships ranging from a few thousand up to almost a full ride or even a full ride. The full ride ones are very very uncommon and only a couple people in each class get it I believe. A lot of the scholarships are for people with an interest in a specific field, like exotics are large animal, and those are usually a pretty good amount. I’d recommend emailing admissions and asking about that because they’d have the best info.

What I love: I really love philly. That’s just personal preference. I like the city environment. The case load at the hospital is awesome. Tons of variety in the cases that are presented. We have some of the best clinicians in the country in my opinion who do some really incredible things. For example, we do kidney transplants in cats, are developing a cardiac valve replacement program, have really state of the art oncology services, and a bunch of other things. The curriculum is also being changed to give you guys a lot more hands-on experience, so while I won’t get that, you will. New Bolton Center, while a bit of a hike away, is a fantastic place with really cool opportunities. Also, the faculty are usually super helpful and make themselves very available. That extends to the clinicians. I can’t count the number of times I’ve reached out to our dermatology, nutrition, and behavior services for questions about either my own pet or just about something I was wondering about, and received a really great response. They’re very eager to teach.
Research opportunities are everywhere. I mean literally just ask any professor. You’ll easily find something.
The mentor/mentee program is nice. So you always have upperclassmen to ask for help

What I don’t love: first and foremost, New Bolton Center IS far away. About an hour. And you need a car to get there. So it can be a major hassle to do large animal things. I worked there all summer doing research and I didn’t really mind the commute only because I had nothing else to do. If you have labs there during the school year, taking two hours from your day just to drive can be really annoying. Especially when it’s the day before an exam.
Big downside- it’s expensive. Much more expensive than being in-state at a public school.
A lot of what I don’t love right now has to do with the curriculum and online learning, but that’s not something you’ll have to deal with. The whole curriculum is being overhauled and is set to be put in place for V’25, so you’ll get a much different experience from mine.

Overall I love the school. I love the faculty, and I think there’s a really good sense of helping everyone out. The competitiveness that people fear when entering a medical program is mostly not there, or at least not to the degree people fear. It has its good and its bad.
The commuting is sorta the big down side for me. I have two children, ages 3 and 7, and a full time program is already going to be a big shift from what they're used to. I have several friends and some family in the Philly and DC areas so I'd also be in a "known" place, which would be nice. I am glad to hear they're moving towards more hands on experience, and I was absolutely impressed watching hip replacements when I toured a few years ago. Everyone seemed really friendly, so I don't doubt what you're saying about the supportive atmosphere--and it's definitely something I am looking for! The cost is a bit tough to stomach, but like you said, a lot about Penn is 1st class, state of the art...and that reputation is sometimes worth the price tag! Thank you so much for taking the time to share, I truly appreciate it!

The commuting is sorta the big down side for me. I have two children, ages 3 and 7, and a full time program is already going to be a big shift from what they're used to. I have several friends and some family in the Philly and DC areas so I'd also be in a "known" place, which would be nice. I am glad to hear they're moving towards more hands on experience, and I was absolutely impressed watching hip replacements when I toured a few years ago. Everyone seemed really friendly, so I don't doubt what you're saying about the supportive atmosphere--and it's definitely something I am looking for! The cost is a bit tough to stomach, but like you said, a lot about Penn is 1st class, state of the art...and that reputation is sometimes worth the price tag! Thank you so much for taking the time to share, I truly appreciate it!
I will say, you only really go to NBC a few times per year. It’s not like you’re commuting every week or even every month. Just as laid out in the curriculum and then voluntarily if you sign up for wet labs or shadowing. It still sucks, but it’s not the worst thing in the world.

I think the Penn name and the VMD has a lot of value in the tri-state area, specifically because it’s the name clients know. However, that’s about it. You can get a world class education as pretty much any of the accredited vet schools, and often for a cheaper price. You’ll still be able to get a good job, be well respected, find fulfillment in your career, etc. I wouldn’t laser focus too much on Penn itself for the sake of being Penn. A lot of what we have exists at other schools, and other schools have things we don’t have. So definitely do your research!

I do want to echo your point about it being a known area. My entire family live within an hour or so of Philly. Most within 30 minutes. My girlfriend’s family live an hour away. There really was no price tag for me to be able to stay local to them. In the last two years I’ve been able to watch my nephews grow up, attend family holidays, weddings, birthday parties, or just go over for dinner. Do I sometimes loathe the fact that my family has such easy access to ME? Absolutely. They don’t really understand that my time is not actually my own and there aren’t enough hours in a day to do my school work while also doing something for them that seems insignificant. However, it’s worth it.

I will say, you only really go to NBC a few times per year. It’s not like you’re commuting every week or even every month. Just as laid out in the curriculum and then voluntarily if you sign up for wet labs or shadowing. It still sucks, but it’s not the worst thing in the world.

I think the Penn name and the VMD has a lot of value in the tri-state area, specifically because it’s the name clients know. However, that’s about it. You can get a world class education as pretty much any of the accredited vet schools, and often for a cheaper price. You’ll still be able to get a good job, be well respected, find fulfillment in your career, etc. I wouldn’t laser focus too much on Penn itself for the sake of being Penn. A lot of what we have exists at other schools, and other schools have things we don’t have. So definitely do your research!

I do want to echo your point about it being a known area. My entire family live within an hour or so of Philly. Most within 30 minutes. My girlfriend’s family live an hour away. There really was no price tag for me to be able to stay local to them. In the last two years I’ve been able to watch my nephews grow up, attend family holidays, weddings, birthday parties, or just go over for dinner. Do I sometimes loathe the fact that my family has such easy access to ME? Absolutely. They don’t really understand that my time is not actually my own and there aren’t enough hours in a day to do my school work while also doing something for them that seems insignificant. However, it’s worth it.
I hear you about the laser focus. My first choice is Tufts-I live 45min away and wouldn't have to move my family. I've also been to the campus numerous times (both as a client--my horse had surgery there, and to tour as a prospective student) and know it's a good fit for me. But based on everything you've said, I think Penn would be a great option as well. I absolutely know what you mean about people not understanding your time commitment. I'm in 18 credits right now and I've never said the words "Leave me alone" so much in my life lol. Thank you again for taking the time to give such a thoughtful answer-it's supser helpful!

Hi everyone!! I applied to PennVet this cycle and was wondering when they start sending out interview invites. I know the website says December-February but wasn't sure if that was the case this year due to COVID. Good luck everyone!!

Hi, 2nd year at PennVet here, too! I bet applying to vet school right now is a little bit weird and scary, so please let me know if you guys have any questions.

I received an admissions scholarship, so perhaps I can speak to this question a little more. They did not give me a specific answer to why they gave me a scholarship or anything. Per their website, scholarships are often given to minority applicants, those who are from underrepresented regions, or those who have unusual interests. They also said that grades and test scores are not necessarily the biggest factor.

If anyone has any more personal questions about scholarships, please PM me. I am happy to share, but I’d rather not discuss stats, financial information, etc publicly.

Hi, 2nd year at PennVet here, too! I bet applying to vet school right now is a little bit weird and scary, so please let me know if you guys have any questions.

I received an admissions scholarship, so perhaps I can speak to this question a little more. They did not give me a specific answer to why they gave me a scholarship or anything. Per their website, scholarships are often given to minority applicants, those who are from underrepresented regions, or those who have unusual interests. They also said that grades and test scores are not necessarily the biggest factor.

If anyone has any more personal questions about scholarships, please PM me. I am happy to share, but I’d rather not discuss stats, financial information, etc publicly.
Thank you for your reply! Did you indicate any special interest in a specific field during your application?

Yes! I came in with the majority of my experience in wildlife rehabilitation, and exotic/wildlife medicine is still something I’m exploring. I would suggest that if you indicate interest in a particular field on your application, you should have work, volunteer, or shadowing experience so you’ll be able to elaborate on it in the interview.

If anyone is interested in zoo, wildlife, or exotics at Penn, I will add that the department is going through a lot of turnover currently. They have been great about keeping students updated about the hiring process (including inviting students to attend lectures from candidates and give their feedback). Penn has many alumni in the tri-state area who also offer students opportunities in zoo/wildlife/exotics such as externships, shadowing, and volunteering within driving distance. However, those opportunities aren’t available in the exotics department at the hospital at this time.

Yes! I came in with the majority of my experience in wildlife rehabilitation, and exotic/wildlife medicine is still something I’m exploring. I would suggest that if you indicate interest in a particular field on your application, you should have work, volunteer, or shadowing experience so you’ll be able to elaborate on it in the interview.

If anyone is interested in zoo, wildlife, or exotics at Penn, I will add that the department is going through a lot of turnover currently. They have been great about keeping students updated about the hiring process (including inviting students to attend lectures from candidates and give their feedback). Penn has many alumni in the tri-state area who also offer students opportunities in zoo/wildlife/exotics such as externships, shadowing, and volunteering within driving distance. However, those opportunities aren’t available in the exotics department at the hospital at this time.
Ahhh balls...my interest is very traditional - small animal internal medicine with a focus of inflammatory conditions. My research experience is mostly on infectious disease but I'm interested in the overlap with cancer and autoimmune diseases. But I did not apply for a dual degree program because I'm a non-traditional applicant and don't wish to graduate in my 40s.

Ahhh balls...my interest is very traditional - small animal internal medicine with a focus of inflammatory conditions. My research experience is mostly on infectious disease but I'm interested in the overlap with cancer and autoimmune diseases. But I did not apply for a dual degree program because I'm a non-traditional applicant and don't wish to graduate in my 40s.
ouch. As a DVM, if accepted this cycle, I'd graduate at 42. Thank you, I'm officially the crypt keeper. ;)

ouch. As a DVM, if accepted this cycle, I'd graduate at 42. Thank you, I'm officially the crypt keeper. ;)

LOL I'm so sorry! No offense intended!! And I think over the age of 25ish, it doesn't really matter how much...we're the old ones and there's no denying it :rofl:

LOL I'm so sorry! No offense intended!! And I think over the age of 25ish, it doesn't really matter how much...we're the old ones and there's no denying it :rofl:
Hello fellow geriatrics :rofl:👋 Good to know I'm not the only one here! If accepted this cycle I'll be 34 when I graduate! I was worried I was going to be the only "mature" applicant.

You didn't..I'm just busting chops :) I've been a technician forever and never had the finances to afford to go back to school until now..it's not my preferred path (being at this age applying) but it's the hand I got dealt. I try to remind myself that my life experiences have only better prepared me to do the job. I have a few friends who graduated in a more traditional age bracket and they had difficulties being treated a certain way because they looked so young. Maybe I'll escape that lol

Hello fellow geriatrics :rofl:👋 Good to know I'm not the only one here! If accepted this cycle I'll be 34 when I graduate! I was worried I was going to be the only "mature" applicant.
As a 37 year old (turning 38 in February) mom of 3 and 7 year old daughters...you're still a baby lol. You're not geriatric! :) But it sure does go by faster every year! :)

As a 37 year old (turning 38 in February) mom of 3 and 7 year old daughters...you're still a baby lol. You're not geriatric! :) But it sure does go by faster every year! :)
I know everyone keeps reminding me I'm still young. It's hard when you're in classes with people who can't even legally buy alcohol yet... makes you feel old :rofl: One of the doctors I work under didn't start vet school until she was 40 so it's never too late! Sometimes I just need to be reminded about that and it's good to know that not everyone is going to be 22 years old!

I know everyone keeps reminding me I'm still young. It's hard when you're in classes with people who can't even legally buy alcohol yet... makes you feel old :rofl: One of the doctors I work under didn't start vet school until she was 40 so it's never too late! Sometimes I just need to be reminded about that and it's good to know that not everyone is going to be 22 years old!
I feel you. I'm in a post-bacc program with other students but they're all like 26...luckily...they think we're the same age. I don't correct them lol

I feel you. I'm in a post-bacc program with other students but they're all like 26...luckily...they think we're the same age. I don't correct them lol
OMG I do that too :rofl: Everyone thinks I'm like 23 and I'm like.....sure mhm whatever you believe.

Hey! I'm a first year penn student and I got my interview invitation last year on 12/10! The actual interview date was for 1/10. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
Juuuust going to also throw my hat in the non-trad ring here, I'll be at least 36 by the time I graduate if I get in this year. We are strong, mature people, and NO that doesn't mean just old! :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Hey! I'm a first year penn student and I got my interview invitation last year on 12/10! The actual interview date was for 1/10. Hope this helps!
Thank you :) Hope your first year is going well, what's it been like for you? Have you been largely remote?

Juuuust going to also throw my hat in the non-trad ring here, I'll be at least 36 by the time I graduate if I get in this year. We are strong, mature people, and NO that doesn't mean just old! :rofl:
Hello fellow non-trads! I will be 33 when I graduate! I’m so glad to see so many older students on here because I was worried I’d be the only one who wasn’t straight out of their undergrad.

Not to derail this too much from Penn, but for you guys who will be >30 when you graduate, are any of you guys single? I worry that by going to vet school later in life I’m picking having this career over getting married, having kids, etc. I want other things in my life besides just being a vet and I get the impression that most non-trads already have their personal life figured out but I could be totally mistaken. I’d love to hear from other in my boat!

Hello fellow non-trads! I will be 33 when I graduate! I’m so glad to see so many older students on here because I was worried I’d be the only one who wasn’t straight out of their undergrad.

Not to derail this too much from Penn, but for you guys who will be >30 when you graduate, are any of you guys single? I worry that by going to vet school later in life I’m picking having this career over getting married, having kids, etc. I want other things in my life besides just being a vet and I get the impression that most non-trads already have their personal life figured out but I could be totally mistaken. I’d love to hear from other in my boat!
I'm VERY single :rofl: I definitely put my second undergrad and all of my experiences before my personal life and am currently not looking to start anything because 1. no good men where I am and 2. I'll be moving away to go to school (if I get in) so it's not worth it to me to start something new. I do worry a bit about getting married (and finding someone when I'm 34) among other aspects of my personal life but I feel like it'll be worth it once I get that degree!

Maybe we should make a thread for non-traditional applicants so we can discuss things like this without clogging up school threads and connect with people who are in similar situations!?

I'm VERY single :rofl: I definitely put my second undergrad and all of my experiences before my personal life and am currently not looking to start anything because 1. no good men where I am and 2. I'll be moving away to go to school (if I get in) so it's not worth it to me to start something new. I do worry a bit about getting married (and finding someone when I'm 34) among other aspects of my personal life but I feel like it'll be worth it once I get that degree!

Maybe we should make a thread for non-traditional applicants so we can discuss things like this without clogging up school threads and connect with people who are in similar situations!?
I'd love a thread for non-trads! I've been lurking here because I'm thinking about Penn next year if I don't get in anywhere this year, and tbh am so relieved to hear other people talking about finishing school in their 30s and beyond. I'll be 33-34 when I'm done depending if/when I get in; plus I think I want to do a pathology residency when I'm done. It really is scary to think about it all, and feeling so alone about it in my day-to-day life

You're not picking over other things. You're doing exactly the right thing to attract the right person into your life to have those things in the way that works for you. Your best self is someone who has purpose, and is fulfilled in themselves. Someone with clear boundaries and a life they're proud of. Having yourself established and self-supporting will make you a better partner to whomever you decide to be with when the time comes. I can absolutely give you more details on my situation but since it's a real life (read not perfect and a bit messy) I'd rather do that privately :)

I'm down. Tell me where to be :)

• Love
Anyone else starting to get nervous as we get closer to the end of December 😂

Reactions: 8 users
II!!! does anyone know how many days of interviews they’re holding?

II!!! does anyone know how many days of interviews they’re holding?

I want to say it’s every weekend in January and February usually, so maybe 6-8 different dates?

Are they only giving out IS interviews right now?