UPenn c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS interview invite!! I totally missed the email this morning, I'm honestly a bit shocked - if anyone wants to know what NOT to do in a Penn interview let me know, I interviewed last year as well. :1poop:
Congrats!!! What date did you get your interview for?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if there are interviews next Friday? I know there are some today and then again in two weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s pretty consistent with previous years. Usually around 50% of people who interview get accepted just given the class size and the number of people who decline the offer.
It's surprising only about half turn down the offer...PennVet is so expensive.

(I keep telling myself I can't afford PennVet anyway to combat the disappointment of not getting an interview yet :rofl:)

It's surprising only about half turn down the offer...PennVet is so expensive.

(I keep telling myself I can't afford PennVet anyway to combat the disappointment of not getting an interview yet :rofl:)
Oh yea, it’s definitely expensive. I keep telling myself the debt will be fine and so far I’m convinced of that. But then again I avoid looking at my student loan account like the plague just so I don’t have a panic attack.

But yea, if there’s an option that’s a good amount cheaper, probably go with that. I did have cheaper options but literally my entire family is in this area, my girlfriend goes to school in philly, I’m from here, and it was just infinitely better from a quality of life standpoint to stay local than it would have been to go anywhere else.

Reactions: 1 users
so the day started with a zoom with the admissions people at 9:15. that was super short and basically went over how the interviews would work and what the day would entail. after the admissions zoom (which ended around 9:25) we were sent over to a student q&a zoom with current penn vet students. this zoom session lasted until noon, and basically we stayed in there until our interview time and then came back after the interview. the interview zoom was a separate link sent out individually and the actual interview was about 30 minutes.
Did they mention whether the student q&a zoom would have any impact on the admission decision? how large was that zoom meeting?

Also if you don't mind can you speak more about what the actual interview was like? Congrats on that fact it went well for you!

Did they mention whether the student q&a zoom would have any impact on the admission decision? how large was that zoom meeting?

Also if you don't mind can you speak more about what the actual interview was like? Congrats on that fact it went well for you!
They didn’t say it specifically, but I don’t believe the student Q&A zoom was part of the admissions decision. There were no faculty in that zoom session and applicants weren’t required to stay in that zoom for any length of time. They said it was just a space for us to ask our questions to students who would give us an honest perspective on life at Penn, good and bad. The actual interview was with two interviewers and it definitely seemed like they had read my file. They asked 5 generic questions (describe a time when you .... type of stuff) honestly looking at the SDN page with submitted upenn interview questions will give you all the info you need to know about what questions will be asked. the interviewers were super nice and also asked me follow up questions specific to my experiences. they definitely emphasized making the interview as stress free as possible and it truly felt like the interviewers wanted me to succeed.

Reactions: 1 user
IS Acceptance!!!!!! Interviewed on friday, got the phone call today around 10:30am.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
IS Acceptance!!!!!! Interviewed on friday, got the phone call today around 10:30am.
Thats so fast! Do they also send an email - I'm worried because I'm traveling and my phone is usually off...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats so fast! Do they also send an email - I'm worried because I'm traveling and my phone is usually off...
I believe they will send an email once all the acceptances have gone out- don't worry if you miss the call though! I missed my first call and then the guy called me back like 15 minutes later. They will make sure you receive the good news!

There are a few ways they let you know. They call a few times, they may leave a message saying to call them back if they keep missing you, you’ll probably get an email from an admissions rep, and you’ll get a letter from the Dean. In 2019 I interviewed January 25th, got called January 28th, got an email from an admissions rep January 29th, and got a letter from the Dean on February 3rd that was mailed on January 29th. So you’ll find out plenty of ways.

And when it happens you’ll be so excited that you’ll remember the exact dates that all of these things happened two years later...

• Love
There are a few ways they let you know. They call a few times, they may leave a message saying to call them back if they keep missing you, you’ll probably get an email from an admissions rep, and you’ll get a letter from the Dean. In 2019 I interviewed January 25th, got called January 28th, got an email from an admissions rep January 29th, and got a letter from the Dean on February 3rd that was mailed on January 29th. So you’ll find out plenty of ways.

And when it happens you’ll be so excited that you’ll remember the exact dates that all of these things happened two years later...
It's amazing when a new door opens and you feel like your life makes just that much more sense :) I'm glad it's going so well for you.

just received my acceptance email- they forgot to update it from last year so the subject line was "acceptance to class of 2024" :lol: does anyone know when recruitment scholarship offers come out? i am trying to decide between here and cornell and since im in-state at penn, i wanted to wait and see if they gave me any scholarships before i make that choice!

just received my acceptance email- they forgot to update it from last year so the subject line was "acceptance to class of 2024" :lol: does anyone know when recruitment scholarship offers come out? i am trying to decide between here and cornell and since im in-state at penn, i wanted to wait and see if they gave me any scholarships before i make that choice!
Congrats! :soexcited: I received my scholarship offer on April 3rd via phone call.

Congrats! :soexcited: I received my scholarship offer on April 3rd via phone call.
thank you! did you get the offer before you committed or had you already paid the deposit by then?

I got very confused when my email said class of 2024... At least the actual text of the email said 2025

thank you! did you get the offer before you committed or had you already paid the deposit by then?
It was before I committed, although I think Rob said it wouldn’t have made any difference.

OOS interview invite!! I totally missed the email this morning, I'm honestly a bit shocked - if anyone wants to know what NOT to do in a Penn interview let me know, I interviewed last year as well. :1poop:
Please share what NOT to do!! I have my interview 1/29 :)

OOS interview on January 29th!

Can anyone speak to the general vibes of Penn? I got in this week (very excited!) but I'm trying to prepare for having to make a decision without visiting first. I'd love to hear what people think of the curriculum and community at the school. I've looked through all the threads but just trying to hear people's thoughts :)

Can anyone speak to the general vibes of Penn? I got in this week (very excited!) but I'm trying to prepare for having to make a decision without visiting first. I'd love to hear what people think of the curriculum and community at the school. I've looked through all the threads but just trying to hear people's thoughts :)
hey i also just got accepted this week! congrats! i did ask the interviewers at the end of my interview about the new curriculum they were planning to start with our class in the fall of 2021, and luckily one of my interviewers was actually super involved in the process of creating the new curriculum so she was able to give me some great info. basically, where they stand now is that they are unsure if they will actually start the new curriculum with our class, simply because it would be too challenging to start a whole new curriculum while also navigating new covid protocols and rules. she said they would have a decision made probably around february or march on whether or not they would implement it this year. she didn't give me a lot of specifics about what the new program looks like, but she said it would be a lot more cohesive and that they have put years of effort and research into their plans. she did say that even if we end up just using the old curriculum, it is a very successful program already so there should be no worries there. i hope this info helps anyone who is confused about whats going on with the curriculum in our class, even if it doesn't answer your question 100% haha

While not my in-state school, Penn is the closest school to where I live, so I toured there last year. The biggest thing in my opinion is how you feel about city living. You drive into Philly and (no joke) the first buildings are the college. Personally, I don’t feel comfortable with having to walk in a city to get to class, especially when it may be dark at times. But, that’s coming from someone who has lived in a rural town their whole life. Beyond that, the school is really neat with lots of history! Just some thoughts you may want to consider.

hey i also just got accepted this week! congrats! i did ask the interviewers at the end of my interview about the new curriculum they were planning to start with our class in the fall of 2021, and luckily one of my interviewers was actually super involved in the process of creating the new curriculum so she was able to give me some great info. basically, where they stand now is that they are unsure if they will actually start the new curriculum with our class, simply because it would be too challenging to start a whole new curriculum while also navigating new covid protocols and rules. she said they would have a decision made probably around february or march on whether or not they would implement it this year. she didn't give me a lot of specifics about what the new program looks like, but she said it would be a lot more cohesive and that they have put years of effort and research into their plans. she did say that even if we end up just using the old curriculum, it is a very successful program already so there should be no worries there. i hope this info helps anyone who is confused about whats going on with the curriculum in our class, even if it doesn't answer your question 100% haha
This is super helpful thank you!! And congrats to you as well! I'm hoping they will start the new curriculum with our class but I guess we'll see. I asked about curriculum during my interview as well but both my interviewers were alumni and didn't have a ton of info about it so this is very useful for me!
While not my in-state school, Penn is the closest school to where I live, so I toured there last year. The biggest thing in my opinion is how you feel about city living. You drive into Philly and (no joke) the first buildings are the college. Personally, I don’t feel comfortable with having to walk in a city to get to class, especially when it may be dark at times. But, that’s coming from someone who has lived in a rural town their whole life. Beyond that, the school is really neat with lots of history! Just some thoughts you may want to consider.
I actually really want to live in a city so I'm happy with that! I went to a college in a tiny town but grew up in a large city and I'm looking forward to getting back to a place with a Target!

Please share what NOT to do!! I have my interview 1/29 :)
Pretty much everything leading up to my interview went wrong, (flight to philly, wardrobe, weather, etc. I literally drove up to philly with the bottom half of my mom's trenchcoat sticking out the bottom of the car door :laugh:) and I went in with the mentality that the interview wasn't going to go well either, and it was definitely a self-fulfilling prophecy. Think positive, and don't get hung up on one question afterward, take a breath and focus on answering the next one to the best of your ability. Also, no jokes, whatever you do, do not tell a dad joke.

I'm obviously not an admitted PennVet student, but I've lived in the greater Philly area almost my whole life & went to Penn for my post-bacc program, not to mention a great many friends and acquaintances who are Penn and PennVet alums/current students. I also lived in Center City for a year while at Penn, which I cannot recommend enough if you can 1) afford it, and 2) don't need to have a car with you (parking is the bane of my existence). The University City area of Philly, and the easily-accessible Center City, are really fun & exciting places to live and work. You can get virtually any type of food you're craving somewhere, and it's a much more "doable" city than somewhere like Boston or NYC or LA. Public transit is fairly reliable, and access to eastern Pennsylvania and over the bridge into South Jersey give you good options for a more suburban or rural setting if you need a fix. There's a TON happening with culture and history in Philadelphia, and there's absolutely always something to do! That being said, it's a city - there are areas that you most definitely should not be frequenting with expensive electronics in your backpack, especially after dark. If you're nervous about safety in your apartment choice, go for somewhere that's within the Penn Police's patrol route around campus (there is actual data that it's significantly safer), and be smart in your habits. No headphones while walking by yourself after dark, keep an eye/ear out on your surroundings, hail a cab or cross a street or carry pepper spray if you find yourself in a sketchy area after dark. Trust your instincts, be aware. In my own experience, I've only felt unsafe one or two times at night in my traversing of the Philly sprawl, but things can certainly still happen.

As for Penn itself, my recent PennVet friends said that they felt very well-supported by faculty and staff, and felt that the culture of the vet school is vastly different than any of the undergrad programs (in a good way!). There's a strong culture of collaboration and building each other up. It seems like a great school, like any, with the one possible caveat of being slightly less hands-on in its learning format than some other schools. This might be a drawback or a non-issue for some - Penn has certainly been graduating capable vets for a long time! But it's something to consider if you're a considerably kinesthetic learner. The facilities, despite some of them being older, are fantastic, and both Ryan Hospital and the New Bolton Center (equine/large animal center, 1 hour outside the city in Kennett Square, I was there last week with samples from my local equine vet!) have so much innovation it's coming out of the woodwork. Some of the most talented, awesome people you will ever work with, and on the cutting edge of this field!

As y'all get closer to making decisions I'm happy weigh in more on specific living situation questions about Philadelphia, that's probably where I'm most useful!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
OOS interview invite! I am over the moon rn- this is one of my top schools but I always just assumed it was a pipe dream to even get an interview. I’m so excited! Congrats to everyone else who got an interview invite today and good luck!!

Reactions: 5 users
OOS interview invite! I am over the moon rn- this is one of my top schools but I always just assumed it was a pipe dream to even get an interview. I’m so excited! Congrats to everyone else who got an interview invite today and good luck!!
Congrats!! What time did you get an email?

Congrats!! What time did you get an email?
7:17 am PST. I just saw it now because I work nights so I sleep all morning haha. Great way to wake up this morning!

Haven't seen many people getting interview invites this second round. Do we know how many were invited? Are they planning on sending out rejections anytime soon? LOL

I’m going to try to answer this question, but I’m a bit nervous I won’t be helpful. My education as a second year has been very impacted by Covid-19, and they may or may not have a new curriculum starting soon, so I hope my info is relevant to you.

In my opinion, the curriculum is one of PennVet’s strongest points. They have years of turning out wonderful vets, an excellent NAVLE pass rate, the professors are experts in their field, etc. It is very challenging, especially first year; vet school is hard no matter where you go. I think my biggest problem with the curriculum is that it hasn’t been revamped in many years (although that is changing), so there is sometimes some friction as far as older professors being set in their ways. Also sometimes we are learning from PhDs, MDs, not necessarily vets, and it can be harder to connect with them (although I think this is true of many schools).

As far as community, it’s a big school with big classes, so you will find your tribe. There is pretty big tradition of the second years being mentors to the first years and passing down study materials. Every student is paired with a faculty mentor. There are weekly happy hours (during the not COVID times) and clubs for everything under the sun. If you don’t see a club you like, you can start it.

I hope that helps!

OOS acceptance!!! I got a call last night around 6 pm with the news! I’m still in absolute shock it doesn’t feel real. Good luck to everyone still interviewing!

Reactions: 13 users
OOS A!!! got the call around 1pm EST.

Reactions: 10 users
Does anyone know where I can get penn vet apparel?
Some general merch can be purchased through each year’s merch reps. Due to COVID some merch sales have been put on pause and I’m not sure when they’re resuming. When you’re in school you can buy merch through clubs when they each have their own sales. Each club reserves different items to produce and sell, ranging from water bottles and socks up to things like Patagonia and LL Bean jackets. Usually the PennVet merch site is the best resource but right now it’s not.

Penn is my top choice but I’m starting to feel discouraged. Here’s to hoping for good news in the morning

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
OOS interview invite!! I saw someone above talking about recruitment scholarships.. I didn’t know this was a thing! I nearly committed to another school this week but am waiting bc still feeling drawn to Penn. Should I wait until the last minute to commit to a school in case any offer scholarships? That would definitely change things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when they stop sending interview invites? Starting to get disappointed

Reactions: 3 users
OOS interview invite!! I saw someone above talking about recruitment scholarships.. I didn’t know this was a thing! I nearly committed to another school this week but am waiting bc still feeling drawn to Penn. Should I wait until the last minute to commit to a school in case any offer scholarships? That would definitely change things.
this is exactly why i’m not committing to cornell like today hahaha i’m probably going to put down a (refundable) deposit at an apartment near cornell this week, but not submit that nonrefundable $500 deposit to accept my seat until i hear back from upenn about any recruitment scholarships!

does anyone know if the interview invites go out all at one time (seems like today was around 10am) or if they go out throughout the day? Basically should I be checking my email incessantly today or just accept that I didn’t get an email and hope for next week? Lol

does anyone know if the interview invites go out all at one time (seems like today was around 10am) or if they go out throughout the day? Basically should I be checking my email incessantly today or just accept that I didn’t get an email and hope for next week? Lol
I've been trying to limit my obsession to Thursday all day/Friday morning if I'm in denial lol