UPenn c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they only giving out IS interviews right now?
No, I saw someone on the APVMA facebook page saying they received an OOS invite

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who received an OOS interview invite mind sharing their stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who received an OOS interview invite mind sharing their stats?
Hey! I got an OOS interview invite today and am happy to share my stats. Just as a disclaimer, I was an engineering undergrad. Not sure if that made any difference, but thought I'd mention it. I had a 3.56 GPA, 96% verbal, 92% quant, 99% writing for the GRE.

Does anyone have a general idea of how many people they interview and how many end up getting offers?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I got an OOS interview invite today and am happy to share my stats. Just as a disclaimer, I was an engineering undergrad. Not sure if that made any difference, but thought I'd mention it. I had a 3.56 GPA, 96% verbal, 92% quant, 99% writing for the GRE.

Does anyone have a general idea of how many people they interview and how many end up getting offers?
I believe somewhere around half of people interviewed end up getting offers. Maybe a bit more. Penn is one of those schools that typically interviews the people they feel are qualified to be in the class, and then the interview is the deciding factor.

I also wanted to add, academic stats are surprisingly unimportant. They really care about what else you’ve done. Whether you’ve done a lot of research, have a lot of vet experience, did work with some interesting animal organizations, etc. they want to hear about that at your interview. I remember my interviewer saw that I had a lot of vet experience and basically simulated pimping by asking me a bunch of blood work and anesthesia-related questions. I haven’t heard of him doing this specifically to other people, but that was my experience and it was sort of intimidating until I realized having the right answer probably didn’t matter. I think he just wanted to see what I gained from my experience and how I’d handle his questions under pressure.

I have tons of friends, myself included, who got in with GPA’s around a 3.3 or lower (a good number with a 3.1 or 3.2). Also, to anyone who hasn’t gotten an interview invite yet, there will be many more days to get an invite. I think there were six days my year and I got invited to like the third or fourth day. Not sure how they’re doing it this year, but in the past they’ve invited a lot of large animal people on the same day back when they’d bring you out to NBC to see the large animal campus. So keep that in mind as well. Don’t freak out!

Reactions: 8 users
I believe somewhere around half of people interviewed end up getting offers. Maybe a bit more. Penn is one of those schools that typically interviews the people they feel are qualified to be in the class, and then the interview is the deciding factor.

I also wanted to add, academic stats are surprisingly unimportant. They really care about what else you’ve done. Whether you’ve done a lot of research, have a lot of vet experience, did work with some interesting animal organizations, etc. they want to hear about that at your interview. I remember my interviewer saw that I had a lot of vet experience and basically simulated pimping by asking me a bunch of blood work and anesthesia-related questions. I haven’t heard of him doing this specifically to other people, but that was my experience and it was sort of intimidating until I realized having the right answer probably didn’t matter. I think he just wanted to see what I gained from my experience and how I’d handle his questions under pressure.

I have tons of friends, myself included, who got in with GPA’s around a 3.3 or lower (a good number with a 3.1 or 3.2). Also, to anyone who hasn’t gotten an interview invite yet, there will be many more days to get an invite. I think there were six days my year and I got invited to like the third or fourth day. Not sure how they’re doing it this year, but in the past they’ve invited a lot of large animal people on the same day back when they’d bring you out to NBC to see the large animal campus. So keep that in mind as well. Don’t freak out!
Thank you so much for this post--it's useful and reassuring. I didn't realize exactly how much I wanted a Penn interview until I didn't get one the first batch! Staying positive :)

Reactions: 4 users
I'm applying as large animal, I know they typically invite all large animal applicants on the same day. Does anybody know when around that might be?

Anyone else feel like they're losing their mind over interview invites and are checking their email every 30 minutes? I just want to hear something😅

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else feel like they're losing their mind over interview invites and are checking their email every 30 minutes? I just want to hear something😅
We very well may not hear anything for multiple months - I don’t think I heard anything back at all until February, IIRC. Honestly, any day you don’t get a straight rejection is a good one - Penn tends to weed down their possible interview candidates as the interview process goes on, so it really isn’t a “no” until you get a “no” from them!

I'm applying as large animal, I know they typically invite all large animal applicants on the same day. Does anybody know when around that might be?
I’m not sure when that’s supposed to be this year or if it’s happening at all honestly. I’m not an admissions rep so I’m not made privy to all the most up to date info on the interview process. But as of now I wouldn’t get too hung up on it happening or not happening. The usual reason for doing most large animal candidates all in one day is to introduce you to NBC since that’s the main reason you’d want to come to Penn anyway. But without the ability to do that this year, I’m not sure what they’ll figure out. We do have a really cool NBC tour video made with a drone that was made recently, so maybe something like that?

Either way, also keep in mind that if you are a large animal interest and don’t get invited to the main large animal day (if there is one this year) it doesn’t mean you’re not going to get an invite. They still invite large animal interests on other days.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who got interview invites from Penn, what day is your interview on? Does Penn only schedule interviews for Fridays?

For those who got interview invites from Penn, what day is your interview on? Does Penn only schedule interviews for Fridays?
my interview is on friday, january 8th. i know they have only interviewed on fridays in years past, and id assume they are doing the same thing this year too! can never be too confident with covid stuff though haha that definitely could have changed some things up.

Yes, they do I believe 5 or 6 Fridays throughout February & March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what days of the week they typically send interview invites? I know it comes in waves but I can’t help but feeling a little defeated I haven’t heard back yet

Does anyone know what days of the week they typically send interview invites? I know it comes in waves but I can’t help but feeling a little defeated I haven’t heard back yet
Last year they sent out interview invites on Fridays and the actual interviews are on fridays in January and February. Most people last year got invites throughout January so I wouldn’t give up hope quite yet!

I remember last year January 3rd was the next wave for penn (I’m assuming because it was the first Friday day after New Years). Soooo maybe we will hear the 4th, the first business day after the New Year, or we may have to wait until the 10th .

Do we know if UPenn sent out rejections yet? I haven't heard anything yet so I'm wondering if I'm still being considered for an interview.

Do we know if UPenn sent out rejections yet? I haven't heard anything yet so I'm wondering if I'm still being considered for an interview.
I’m not sure if they have sent any rejections out, although I’d assume so. If you haven’t heard anything yet then you’re still being considered. They’ve only sent out I think one round of interview invites and they usually have 5 or 6 rounds.

someone in the APVMA fb group said they got a rejection more than a month ago...sooo no news is good news so far :)

I’m not sure if they have sent any rejections out, although I’d assume so. If you haven’t heard anything yet then you’re still being considered. They’ve only sent out I think one round of interview invites and they usually have 5 or 6 rounds.
I'll take it! Staying positive. This increase in applicants all around is making me way too anxious.

I'll take it! Staying positive. This increase in applicants all around is making me way too anxious.
I totally feel you on this!! Whenever I get anxious about it I just try to remind myself that I’ve done everything I can at this point and I will get to vet school eventually, even if it’s not this year. All this waiting is killing me though😩

OOS interview invite! Does anyone know what their interview process is like, open vs closed file, etc?

Reactions: 2 users
OOS interview invite! Does anyone know what their interview process is like, open vs closed file, etc?
Are you small animal or large? From what I've heard, it's open but could be wrong on that

OOS interview invite!! I totally missed the email this morning, I'm honestly a bit shocked - if anyone wants to know what NOT to do in a Penn interview let me know, I interviewed last year as well. :1poop:

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
OOS interview invite! Does anyone know what their interview process is like, open vs closed file, etc

OOS interview invite!! I totally missed the email this morning, I'm honestly a bit shocked - if anyone wants to know what NOT to do in a Penn interview let me know, I interviewed last year as well. :1poop:
wishing you better luck this time!!

Did everyone who got an interview invite get them this morning? Just wondering if they send them all out at the same time

Good luck!!!!!!!
Did everyone who got an interview invite get them this morning? Just wondering if they send them all out at the same time
I’m wondering the same thing!

I didn't get one this morning I'm pretty disappointed :(

I didn't get one this morning I'm pretty disappointed :(
Right there with you! Just remember that this was only the second wave (I believe) and there should be at least a few more waves to go. There’s still a good chance!

those who got the interview today, are you guys small or large animals? I am just curious if they send out the interview according to different tracks

those who got the interview today, are you guys small or large animals? I am just curious if they send out the interview according to different tracks
I'm large animal/equine. I think they usually do have a "large animal day" but they still interview a lot of large animal people on the other dates. I'm honestly not sure if they're even having that set up this year as its all on zoom.

I'm large animal/equine. I think they usually do have a "large animal day" but they still interview a lot of large animal people on the other dates. I'm honestly not sure if they're even having that set up this year as its all on zoom.
I'm equine as well but IS, I haven't heard anything yet

I am small animal. (got an interview invite this morning. OOS)
Anyone has any good suggestion on interview prep?

There are a number of waves that go out, typically through at least the middle of February. Don’t lose hope guys!

Don’t worry guys! Lots of days left for invites to go out. If things are anything like previous years, it’ll be with two interviewers with where one has seen your file and one hasn’t. So expect a question or two specific to your application. For example, if you worked anywhere interesting they may bring that up. Or if you showed specific interest in things like research they may ask about that.

It’s usually pretty conversational. They ask very typical questions of vet school interviews. Nothing too crazy. I honestly don’t even remember the questions they asked me because they were that typical. So just look through common vet school interview questions and that should be fine.

Got my IS interview invite yesterday morning as well! I’m a first time applicant, and I’m still in shock that I was accepted to Cornell and got my Penn interview invite within the same week...too much stress! Hoping I don’t mess up this interview.

Do we think that their waves are sent out in some particular type of groupings, or more randomized?

Do we think that their waves are sent out in some particular type of groupings, or more randomized?
Usually there is a bit of grouping for a couple of the days, like a lot of large animal people on one day, dual degree candidates as part of another day, but the rest is very mixed. I’m not sure that they’re going to do the grouping this year because the point of the large animal grouping was to go out to NBC, but I could be wrong. For the most part, they don’t really group.

Usually there is a bit of grouping for a couple of the days, like a lot of large animal people on one day, dual degree candidates as part of another day, but the rest is very mixed. I’m not sure that they’re going to do the grouping this year because the point of the large animal grouping was to go out to NBC, but I could be wrong. For the most part, they don’t really group.
ok thanks so much! You're very helpful :)

Got my IS interview invite yesterday morning as well! I’m a first time applicant, and I’m still in shock that I was accepted to Cornell and got my Penn interview invite within the same week...too much stress! Hoping I don’t mess up this interview.
swap the stress for joy. Something great, followed by something just a great. You'll do just fine.

for anyone who is curious- i’m participating in the interview zoom this morning for people interviewing today and the head of admissions just stated they plan on doing 280-300 interviews this cycle. not sure how that compares to prior cycles or how many people applied this cycle!

for anyone who is curious- i’m participating in the interview zoom this morning for people interviewing today and the head of admissions just stated they plan on doing 280-300 interviews this cycle. not sure how that compares to prior cycles or how many people applied this cycle!
That’s pretty consistent with previous years. Usually around 50% of people who interview get accepted just given the class size and the number of people who decline the offer.

Best of luck!!

Best of luck to everyone interviewing today, and congrats to everyone who got invites yesterday!!

Wow, that was such a positive and enjoyable interview experience! It really felt like my interviewers not only wanted me to succeed today, but also really wanted to have me at Penn Vet! Couldn't have gone better :)

Reactions: 12 users
Wow, that was such a positive and enjoyable interview experience! It really felt like my interviewers not only wanted me to succeed today, but also really wanted to have me at Penn Vet! Couldn't have gone better :)
Im so happy it went well for you! How long (about) was the information session before the interview?

Im so happy it went well for you! How long (about) was the information session before the interview?
so the day started with a zoom with the admissions people at 9:15. that was super short and basically went over how the interviews would work and what the day would entail. after the admissions zoom (which ended around 9:25) we were sent over to a student q&a zoom with current penn vet students. this zoom session lasted until noon, and basically we stayed in there until our interview time and then came back after the interview. the interview zoom was a separate link sent out individually and the actual interview was about 30 minutes.