UPenn c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just had my interview, I feel like it went super well! Fingers crossed I get a call next week!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Same, very pleasant interview! I wouldn't quite call in conversational, but definitely low-key, and there were more questions related directly to the field than I've had before, so that was really nice!

Reactions: 2 users
Also had my interview today! If I’m not mistaken, I’m pretty sure they mentioned this day was the last interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance call today!! I guess my interviewer didn't want to wait until tomorrow, bless her soul for putting an end to my anxiety 😂 I will be accepting my seat and can't wait to meet everyone else in the fall!

Reactions: 8 users
Got my acceptance call today!! I guess my interviewer didn't want to wait until tomorrow, bless her soul for putting an end to my anxiety 😂 I will be accepting my seat and can't wait to meet everyone else in the fall!
wow that is so nice of her! congratulations :)

Reactions: 1 user
Got the call at 9am this morning! PennVet class of 2025!!

• Love
does anyone know where we can buy PennVet merchandise?? I’ve seen vets wear their PennVet Patagonia sweaters but they’re nowhere on the Penn Bookstore website?

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know where we can buy PennVet merchandise?? I’ve seen vets wear their PennVet Patagonia sweaters but they’re nowhere on the Penn Bookstore website?
We usually have a merchandise website where people who aren’t affiliated with the school yet can order merchandise. But it’s still out of commission due to COVID. I’m not totally sure when that’ll change. Almost all merchandise is sold either through that site or individual club sales. Each club has specific merchandise they sell every year, and the Patagonia sale is through the Thailand trip fundraiser. There is usually a sale twice a year for that. But clubs sales happen throughout the entire year. Until the merch website is operational again, you’ll have to wait until school starts unfortunately. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Any current Penn students, do you know if any students work at Ryan as techs or assistants? I work at another veterinary ER in the area right now but it would be a whole lot more convenient to work at Ryan while I'm going to Penn

OOS acceptance via email this morning!!!

Got the OOS acceptance email at 10:56!

Any current Penn students, do you know if any students work at Ryan as techs or assistants? I work at another veterinary ER in the area right now but it would be a whole lot more convenient to work at Ryan while I'm going to Penn
You can’t work specifically as a tech, but there are some patient care assistant positions that open up for I think second years. There are also some various technician-like roles available like working in research colonies and caring for the animals (dogs, cats).

Super duper happy to share that bar any huge last-minute changes, I'm committing to PennVet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, how'd you come to that decision?
I received an email today from admissions that i was selected as the commonwealth one health scholarship recipient!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
You can’t work specifically as a tech, but there are some patient care assistant positions that open up for I think second years. There are also some various technician-like roles available like working in research colonies and caring for the animals (dogs, cats).
Do you know why not? Like, I currently work at an emergency vet part-time and I'm planning to keep working there like 1 day a week when I start school. I get that no one works at Ryan who goes to Penn, it just seems weird that people don't

One of our classmates is a CVT and works as a tech in the ER. It is possible, but I believe licensed technicians who can work full-time hours will be hired preferentially. Like ajs said, the part-time student positions are more patient care and assistant roles. My guess is because those positions have more flexible hours and require less experience.

do current penn vet students have recommended items for school? iPad? helpful things for anatomy? I know everyone studies differently but any suggestions about what I should be prepared to buy like stethoscope...
Does penn send a letter later about required items?
Thanks!!

What kind of mental health/wellness resources are there at Penn? I've heard some other schools have free therapy for vet students or counselors on campus.

do current penn vet students have recommended items for school? iPad? helpful things for anatomy? I know everyone studies differently but any suggestions about what I should be prepared to buy like stethoscope...
Thanks!!
You will get a list of required items soon - I honestly can't remember when I got it, but you'll be getting a flood of emails from administration about all the things you need to do before school. It's exciting :) I think it's a lot of personal preference as far as study materials. I would suggest doing a search here on SDN, I've seen several threads about school supplies, resources, technology, etc. IPad and Apple pencil seems to be popular at Penn, but I see plenty of classmates typing their notes on their laptops or taking handwritten notes too. I would bring whatever you're comfortable with now, but be open to change if your system no longer works for you. You will almost certainly have to make some adjustments to your study habits, but it's all part of the learning process.

What kind of mental health/wellness resources are there at Penn? I've heard some other schools have free therapy for vet students or counselors on campus.
PennVet has their own counselor, and you can also see CAPS (counseling and psychological services) through the university at large. I will say that these services are usually only offered short-term (weeks to months). If you would like services beyond that, they are very helpful in assisting you to find long-term counseling that is either covered by your insurance or low-cost.

Hey everyone. Got my acceptance call on Monday and follow up email on Wednesday! So excited! Does anyone know when I will get a link to the accepted students FB group?

Hey everyone. Got my acceptance call on Monday and follow up email on Wednesday! So excited! Does anyone know when I will get a link to the accepted students FB group?
That should happen pretty soon. It depends on when the person sending it out gets around to it. But soon!

does penn do some type of accepted students day? i have a few more questions i wanna ask since i accepted my seat, and i want to prepare for and get excited for the fall!!!!

does penn do some type of accepted students day? i have a few more questions i wanna ask since i accepted my seat, and i want to prepare for and get excited for the fall!!!!

I don’t believe they have a scheduled day before April 15th but you will more likely have your first Town Hall in either May or June. There was roughly 2 for my class before orientation so any question you have, they will answer it! They will also give a few stats regarding your application cycle and class.

I don’t believe they have a scheduled day before April 15th but you will more likely have your first Town Hall in either May or June. There was roughly 2 for my class before orientation so any question you have, they will answer it! They will also give a few stats regarding your application cycle and class.
ok thanks so much!!!

Any idea when financial aid offers are sent out?
I’m not entirely sure what you mean by that. If you mean loan info, you’re guaranteed the cost of attendance (tuition plus cost of living as determined by the school). It’s not like undergrad where you are given however much FAFSA decides you get. If you mean scholarship types of things, it depends on the applicant and what scholarship.

Are there any colors of scrubs that are off limits for students to wear?

Are there any colors of scrubs that are off limits for students to wear?
Nope! Most tend to wear some form of blue, but it doesn’t matter. I’d avoid purple if possible because Harcum vet tech students wear purple and you may get confused for them. But that’s really it.

Thanks!!
iPad 100000%
Many students bring an iPad for anatomy. Some bring laptops. It’s a little messy depending on what we are studying but most students put their iPad in a plastic bag. I like to have mine sitting up so I can read my notes and swipe to virtual anatomy whenever I am confused about a structure—-very helpful.
I also have my anatomy textbooks on my iPad so I can easily search for a structure.
Penn doesn’t have required tech but just make sure it can handle running a few programs and working Canvas well since you’ll be taking exams off your laptop.
Everything else like stethoscope, boots, large animal lab attire, will all be sent to you later like in May or June!

Anyone know how much the waitlist moves? Currently sitting at #12 and I’m wondering how realistic it is for me to get off the list. Congrats to all those accepted!!

Anyone know how much the waitlist moves? Currently sitting at #12 and I’m wondering how realistic it is for me to get off the list. Congrats to all those accepted!!
In state or out of state?

I know they probably won't start calling people from the waitlist until after April 15th, but has anyone gotten a call? I'm number 19 and failing at being patient.

Are there any current student who could talk about how accessible a dual degree program is, specifically the combined MPH. Like how easy is it to get into the programs once you are in the VMD program and how feasible is it to complete within the 4 years or is an additional year needed? Also are there class rankings?

I'll check in with friends who are in the master's programs about the application process. As far as I know, it is expected to complete them as long as you are accepted within the first or second year (I don't think they allow you to apply after a certain point to specifically obtain the "combined" degree). Class ranks are assigned at the beginning of second year and yearly thereafter. They are designated at the bottom of your transcript, so you don't have to know it if you don't want to.

Only thing I’ll add is that while it’s expected that you can complete the program in your 4 years, you can elect to complete it over a longer period of time. It’s just more time for you to spend in school at that point. This is also a new program so they’re constantly updating things. I remember last year it said “select students” could complete it in 4 years, and now it says that it’s designed to be completed in 4-4.5 years. So they must have realized it’s more feasible than they originally thought.

I'll check in with friends who are in the master's programs about the application process. As far as I know, it is expected to complete them as long as you are accepted within the first or second year (I don't think they allow you to apply after a certain point to specifically obtain the "combined" degree). Class ranks are assigned at the beginning of second year and yearly thereafter. They are designated at the bottom of your transcript, so you don't have to know it if you don't want to.
that would be really helpful! thank you!

Declined my OOS spot, good luck to all the waitlisted folks, hope one of you can take my spot!

OOS interview invite!! I totally missed the email this morning, I'm honestly a bit shocked - if anyone wants to know what NOT to do in a Penn interview let me know, I interviewed last year as well. :1poop:
Hi, could I please ask for you to share your stats and experiences? My daughter applied for class 2026 and she’s already been rejected from 4 schools but haven’t heard from Upenn

Got my IS interview invite yesterday morning as well! I’m a first time applicant, and I’m still in shock that I was accepted to Cornell and got my Penn interview invite within the same week...too much stress! Hoping I don’t mess up this interview.
Can u please share your gpa and experiences? Thanks

Hi, could I please ask for you to share your stats and experiences? My daughter applied for class 2026 and she’s already been rejected from 4 schools but haven’t heard from Upenn
Of course! I have all my info listed here:
22, female, Delaware resident, traditional, 2nd time applying

Applied: Colorado State, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Cornell, UPenn, NC State, UGA (contract), Auburn
Interview Invites: UPenn, Auburn
Waiting to hear:
Accepted: UPenn, Auburn
Attending: UPenn
Waitlisted: Wisconsin, UGA

Overall GPA: 3.62 at the time of applying (ended up 3.68)
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.66
Last 45 GPA: ~3.72

GRE (Q/V/W):
156 (60%) / 159 (83%) / 4 (57%) (these are my scores from last year, I chose not to retake the GRE in 2020)

Degree(s): BS in Animal & Veterinary Science, with a Pre-Veterinary Concentration, Minor in Biological Sciences (graduated in December 2020)

Veterinary Experience: 620hrs total

Experience - (hrs)
~100 hrs – with mobile equine sports med vet
~450 hours – Summer observer/research assistant at a vet school LA hospital observing all diagnostic imaging/sports med appointments, as well as all cardiology appointments, attending rounds, and helping collect data regarding equine congestive heart failure
~70 hours – Small animal hospital vet tech (this is literally the only new vet experience I had since applying as a junior, thanks COVID)

Animal Experience: ~3300 hrs
Experience - (hrs)
~3,200 hrs – I took a gap year before undergrad and was a working student for an FEI 4*/Advanced level event rider. Besides traveling to groom at shows & events I was in charge of daily grooming/care, farm maintenance, exercising horses, cleaning tack, and helping with all farrier/vet visits. I included that I would specifically help with lameness exams, rads, ultrasounds, and steroidal injections.
30hrs – Swine handling class, which involved caring for sows and piglets in a farrowing house, I got to ear notch, vaccinate, castrate, etc.
60 hrs – sheep handling class, similar focus to my other class
30 hrs – intro handling class –taught basic principles regarding livestock handling and animal farm production (equine, poultry, swine, sheep, beef & dairy)

Research: ~400
equine research at another vet school that involved the respiratory health of racehorses

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience - (hrs)
180 hrs – Secretary position for my undergrad Intercollegiate Eventing Team.
1270 hrs – Competition member of eventing team (these hours include training/care as well as volunteer work and competing, which is why I put it under extracurriculars, not animal experience)
-deans list x4, presidents list x1, also included an award that my horse won as the highest-scoring TB of the year at a show series, as the prize money helped cover the expenses of competing in college

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - (hrs)
N/A

LORs:
1. Professor of Veterinary Medicine that I shadowed while doing equine cardiology work
2. Professor of Veterinary Medicine that I worked under for the equine respiratory research
3. Faculty/Lecturer at my undergrad that had me for a lot of animal handling labs and knew me well enough

Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
Summary of what you wrote about
I wrote about how VetMed found me, as I was taking a gap year before starting undergrad for engineering and that my time with a mobile equine vet made me reconsider my major. I really focused on my journey to where I am now, and how all of my experiences both in and out of clinics molded my perception of VetMed and how I wanted to contribute to the field in the future. I specifically mentioned cases that had an impact on me, one of which was a horse with endocarditis that was able to continue his career as a dressage horse despite a murmur & some scarring, which I used to emphasize my interest in equine cardiology.

Note:
Have family/friends/advisors read your WHOLE application. I seriously forgot to put down all my animal handling hours from my classes when I applied as a junior, and this time I forgot to put down 400 hours of barn work that I got at the start of the pandemic :smack:
you can see more successful applicant's stats from last year by checking out the Successful Applicants c/o 2025 thread:

Successful Applicants c/o 2025

• Love
While stats and experiences are important for applicants to appear competitive, the admission decisions are made based on the committees' evaluation of the applicant as a whole person. There are so many factors at play here, and comparing your daughter to successful applicants may not help. Maybe try to be a supportive mom and show her some faith and patience?

While stats and experiences are important for applicants to appear competitive, the admission decisions are made based on the committees' evaluation of the applicant as a whole person. There are so many factors at play here, and comparing your daughter to successful applicants may not help. Maybe try to be a supportive mom and show her some faith and patience?
I wasn’t trying to compare my daughter to anyone . I was merely wondering. I am supportive of my daughter and absolutely have faith in her. I just hurt when I see her heartbroken from all the rejections she’s been receiving.

Can u please share your stats and experiences?
Sure! Here are my stats from last year:

21, Female, NJ resident, Traditional, First-Time Applicant

Applied: Tufts, Cornell, UPenn, Purdue, Ohio State, UF, NC State, Auburn, Colorado State
Interview Invites: Tufts, UPenn, Purdue, Auburn
Waiting to hear: None
Rejected: NC State, Ohio State, UF, Colorado State
Waitlisted: Cornell, Purdue
Accepted: Tufts, UPenn, Auburn
Attending: UPenn

Overall GPA: 3.86
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.89
Last 45 GPA: 3.91

GRE (Q/V/W): 151 (40%) / 157 (75%) / 4.5 (80%)

Degree(s): B.S. in Animal and Poultry Science expected May 2021

Veterinary Experience:
- 500 hours as a vet assistant for an equine referral hospital
- 100 hours shadowing/assisting a small animal vet at a mixed animal GP
- 20 hours shadowing/assisting an ambulatory equine sports med vet
- 15 hours volunteering at a spay/neuter clinic

Animal Experience:
- 15,000+ hours as a competitive equestrian and horse owner
- 280 hours as a working student for a professional show jumping facility
- 65 hours volunteering at a local animal shelter
- 30 hours volunteering at a wildlife refuge

Research:
- 90 hours in a ruminant nutrition lab

Extracurriculars/Awards:
- Dean's List every semester
- ASAS Undergraduate Scholar Recognition Award
- Emily Jane Hilscher Memorial Scholarship
- John Alton Spivey Scholarship
- Dr. Arden N. Huff Scholarship
- Distinguished University Scholarship

Non-Animal Employment:
- 360 hours mowing lawns
- 480 hours as a sales rep
- 100 hours as a barista
- 300 hours as a waitress

LORs:
- Equine surgeon
- Ruminant nutritionist/professor
- Academic advisor

Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
I wrote mostly about my extensive background with sport horses, specific goals in equine medicine, and possibly becoming board certified in sports medicine and rehabilitation. I also tried to tie in how my variety of experiences with different species has shaped my understanding of the profession and how I would be able to contribute to the profession as a whole.