UPenn decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
let's keep this going....how about..

Harvard vs. UPenn.

DISCUSS!

Members don't see this ad.

oh Pancho- shopping between the harvard and upenn threads too i see. well lets see, UPENN is closer to my PA home, but all my harvard friends here in boston will look at me with shame when (not if) i get rejected there.

but honestly, UPENN is a great school with a great curriculum-- ONLY 1.5 years of classwork, clinical rotations starting Jan of 2nd year, and basically the final year off which you can use to do anything! plus PENN has an equally great hospital system and good board scores.

Harvard vs. UPenn.

DISCUSS!

Didnt apply to Harvard because avoid pretension like the plague. Luckily most lay-people have no idea that UPenn is an incredible med school, let alone in the ivy leage (my personal favorite is the "That's in Pittsburgh or something, right?" question).

Members don't see this ad :)
Didnt apply to Harvard because avoid pretension like the plague. Luckily most lay-people have no idea that UPenn is an incredible med school, let alone in the ivy leage (my personal favorite is the "That's in Pittsburgh or something, right?" question).

I like the shirts that say "UPenn... NOT Penn State."

I would take UPenn over H because they have better financial aid, a better curriculum in my opinion, and a lot less pretension. Harvard med school seemed ridiculously stuck up when I was there.

Harvard vs. UPenn.

DISCUSS!

I'd go for whichever chose to accept me. :) But in the highly unlikely case that both did, financial aid would probably decide it.

I like the shirts that say "UPenn... NOT Penn State."

I should get one of those! It took my dad forever to understand that I want to go to UPenn rather than Penn State.

wow no one is keeping this alive, huh?

Yeah, I'm still kind of disgruntled because of the extra week delay. Plus the longer I have to wait, the more convinced I am that I won't get in...

9 more days though!

Yeah, I'm still kind of disgruntled because of the extra week delay. Plus the longer I have to wait, the more convinced I am that I won't get in...

9 more days though!

I know! Isn't that disturbing? They should have considered our mental well-being before they switched the date. My dreams have been getting more and more insane recently and they are beginning to focus on UPenn.

9 days (hopefully) until I'm done with this...

Penn all the way. the students there (and fellow interviewees) were totally normal. Whereas at Harvard... they were not. Penn seems like a MUCH cooler class, and I totally fell in love with the school when I was there, whereas Harvard didn't impress me at all (but they probably weren't trying to, either)...

and no, i haven't been rejected from harvard yet, but i'm sure i will be in the very near future.

Does anyone have the stats for Penn?

#Accepted, # Interviewed, # Accepted off the waitlist, etc?

Out of 150 students, do you think they overshoot their acceptance (accept 200 or so?), then rely on the waitlist for <20?

was it just me or did penn seem to have a very good-looking student body? damn.

earlier i heard a rumor that everyone who isn't immediately accepted are all waitlisted (with 3 waitlist tiers)? is this true?

I don't know the exact reason for the delay, but I do know a little about the penn admissions process from a first-year that I know that does student interviews. They interview like 800 students, give out ~220 acceptances, and have ~150 spots, so it is a lot of work to weed out 70% of the inteviewees. Plus, their adcom is very large (something like 25 people, made up of both students and faculty) and each candidate gets reviewed by multiple adcom members and ranked. Then the rankings get submitted, tabulated, discussed, etc. So it takes a long time. Pure conjecture, but I'd guess some adcom members are missing their deadlines to submit their rankings and so the whole process is delayed. Doctors are busy. I don't think it has anything to do with how students are treated. By all accounts, students are treated very very well at Penn, which is why students there often choose it over other top schools.
Ok, I'm a first year at Penn that has done a few interviews this year. I'm just procrastinating (& I know the decisions are coming out soon), so I was curious to see what everyone is saying about Penn. Everyone involved in the interview process (faculty & current students) need to submit a lengthy evaluation of the student before their application can move forward. They have a strict deadline of 3 days for student interviewers to submit their evaluations. The committee takes every application that was interviewed very seriously. As a result, they tend to push things back a few days at the end. I remember a similar thing happening when I applied. They said the email would come out on Monday, and it didn't show up until Wednesday. It was a very difficult two days. I feel for you guys, but just stay strong and try your best not to be too compulsive about the email checks. Good luck, and hopefully I'll see most of you on Second Look Day!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I'm a first year at Penn that has done a few interviews this year. I'm just procrastinating (& I know the decisions are coming out soon), so I was curious to see what everyone is saying about Penn. Everyone involved in the interview process (faculty & current students) need to submit a lengthy evaluation of the student before their application can move forward. They have a strict deadline of 3 days for student interviewers to submit their evaluations. The committee takes every application that was interviewed very seriously. As a result, they tend to push things back a few days at the end. I remember a similar thing happening when I applied. They said the email would come out on Monday, and it didn't show up until Wednesday. It was a very difficult two days. I feel for you guys, but just stay strong and try your best not to be too compulsive about the email checks. Good luck, and hopefully I'll see most of you on Second Look Day!

Thanks for the information! It's good to hear from someone that's on the inside about what goes on with the adcom.

earlier i heard a rumor that everyone who isn't immediately accepted are all waitlisted (with 3 waitlist tiers)? is this true?

This is true for everyone who has already interviewed. In the past years there have been three tiers of waitlist: top of tier 1, tier 1, and tier 2. If it's like the past 2 (I think) years, they'll post this on your site when the decisions are released.

This is true for everyone who has already interviewed. In the past years there have been three tiers of waitlist: top of tier 1, tier 1, and tier 2. If it's like the past 2 (I think) years, they'll post this on your site when the decisions are released.

I really hope they post messages like this because I hate that "A decision has been mailed" BS. Especially since Penn's the very last school to let anyone know....

Do you know by any chance how those tiers correlate with future acceptances? In general does the tier 2 pretty much guarentee a rejection and the top of tier 1 generally mean a later acceptance?

Thanks.

Do you know by any chance how those tiers correlate with future acceptances? In general does the tier 2 pretty much guarentee a rejection and the top of tier 1 generally mean a later acceptance?

Of course it varies from year to year, but your post about sums it up.

Dr. Durden, for the past 5+ years they do post this in your status page. I can't imagine they would change that.

Try again:

Out of 150 students, do you think they overshoot their acceptance (accept 200 or so?), then rely on the waitlist for <20?

Try again:

I don't know... I checked MSAR, but they don't have the stats... Last year they interviewed just under 800 people. Someone on this thread said they would be interviewing 800 this year.

I was told on interview day that they accept ~25% of interviewees, which assuming they interview 800 students, would mean 200 acceptances.

That's what I know.

They gave these numbers on a sheet at the interview.

2006 Stats

Applicant Pool - 5730 (probably # of AMCAS applications?)
Interviews - 844
Accepts - 220 (probably including waitlist accepts)

Anyone else check the status page this morning just in case?

(If you didn't, don't bother... same old message about the week of the 26th...)

Im expecting a waitlist.

This year is ridiculously rough with so many awesome applicants.

Penn is so difficult to get into, I can only expect waitlist. Sigh.

Im expecting a waitlist.

Yeah....I don't have high hopes for my chances at Penn, either. :( March has been a rough month. But please, Penn, feel free to prove me wrong....

Thanks.

It varies very highly from year to year - my year (2002), most of the people that were "at the top of tier 1" according to suite 100 seemed to get in, but last year, I can tell you that many in the same group were not admitted. I think it's very variable on the yield of the given year. Tier 2 acceptances are probably unlikely.

That aside, I can tell you that my time at Penn was amazing and I loved the school and would do it all over again (over HMS, UCSF - the other two schools I was considering). The Penn kids seemed the happiest and that was absolutely true during my time there. A fabulous school that can help you do anything in medicine. I cannot speak highly enough of my school in retrospect.

Im expecting a waitlist.

Yeah, me too. I walked out of the interview day, after 2 perfectly fine interviews, completely certain that I wouldn't get in. I wasn't crushed about it either. Penn is such an amazing school, and all the other interviewees were so spectacular, I came out thinking that I was really lucky to get an interview but there's no way I'm getting in. So, why do I bother to read this thread? I dunno, I guess there's always that little gleam of hope. Anyway, I'm looking forward to all the ecstatic posts that will be appearing on this thread soon. Good luck everybody! :luck:

anyone think there's a chance they'll come out early? maybe they just pushed the date back so people wouldn't call and bug them.

anyone think there's a chance they'll come out early? maybe they just pushed the date back so people wouldn't call and bug them.

b/c you said this i checked the status page and...

still nothing. :oops:

No I don't think so. Though I wish they weren't the absolute last school to hand out decisions, waiting really sucks.

No I don't think so. Though I wish they weren't the absolute last school to hand out decisions, waiting really sucks.

Oh, they won't be the absolute last school. Check out the "UCLA happy January 15" thread. :rolleyes:

penn mstp applicant here. slightly different process but the physician scientist thread is dead due to Skip already having informed us of decisions being the week of the 20th. OMG, I just realized that's this week.

In any case, good luck to all!

And Penn's better than Harvard. Met faculty at Harvard who said so, and he went to Hopkins.

Wow, that really is someone from Penn Medicine. Kinda creepy, I hope they can't figure out who I am!

(And by kind of creepy I mean utterly endearly. Really...take me! take me!)

The PennMedicine UserCP is in no way affiliated with the Office of Admissions at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. These postings are simply so applicants interested in the School of Medicine can what programs graduates end up at. Thank you for not sending private or any other message relating to admissions to this UserCP.

The PennMedicine UserCP is in no way affiliated with the Office of Admissions at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. These postings are simply so applicants interested in the School of Medicine can what programs graduates end up at. Thank you for not sending private or any other message relating to admissions to this UserCP.

lol. not affiliated, yet so professional.

lol. not affiliated, yet so professional.

Ah, that's just typical Penn for you - loveable but nonetheless oh so sketchy given the vastness of the bureacracy.

Good luck guys. :luck:

Er, sending an update would be completely useless until AFTER I get the waitlist notification at this point, correct?

Good luck to all - less than four days to go.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Why not post on one of your 4+ other screennames? You know it is against the Terms of Service to post on multiple accounts. I don't even see why it's so bad to post this under your main. But, I won't hold it against you.

About MD/PhD decisions, they will come out the same day as MD decisions. Don't take Skip's word on the date. It's not up to him as to when the decisions are released.

Er, sending an update would be completely useless until AFTER I get the waitlist notification at this point, correct?

Good luck to all - less than four days to go.

4 days? we have at least 7. Something inside tells me we will actually know mid-week instead of Monday.... prob march 28th or 29th (given how things seem to go with med schools...)

Does anyone know how Penn makes it decisions? Do they save discussion on all interviewees until the end, or make decisions year-round? And if the interviews don't mean much, do they pretty much know who will get in before-hand?

Just curious:)

Does anyone know how Penn makes it decisions? Do they save discussion on all interviewees until the end, or make decisions year-round? And if the interviews don't mean much, do they pretty much know who will get in before-hand?

Just curious:)

I have heard that Penn makes rolling decisions but then announces them at the end. It would be A LOT of work to review 800-900 applicants at the end of interview season.

I have heard that Penn makes rolling decisions but then announces them at the end. It would be A LOT of work to review 800-900 applicants at the end of interview season.

Yeah sitting on your hands for months until the end would seem silly. Although maybe this is why it takes them so damn long to anounce their decisions. Perhaps they have some big huge list that they edit as they go? I think Baylor does something similar (although they have the thougtfullness to let the front-runners know early).

Yeah sitting on your hands for months until the end would seem silly. Although maybe this is why it takes them so damn long to anounce their decisions. Perhaps they have some big huge list that they edit as they go? I think Baylor does something similar (although they have the thougtfullness to let the front-runners know early).

well, they ask their interviewers to send in their evaluations within days. Maybe they do a preliminary grouping of their applicants based on a number score and then sort of give individual attention to half of maybe the 800 applicants at the end?

you know whats pathetic? i check the status page a few times everyday out of boredom and hope (though i know somehow im getting a waitlist).

you know whats pathetic? i check the status page a few times everyday out of boredom and hope (though i know somehow im getting a waitlist).

Last night I had one of those half-awake/half-asleep dreams where I was composing a letter of intent in a desperate attempt to get off the Penn waitlist. *gah*

I wish my brain would at least wait for me to officially be waitlisted....although now I wish I had written down what I could remember when I woke up. :laugh:

Who can't stand it anymore?

Anyone wanting to go on a 6 day bender with me?

Who can't stand it anymore?

Anyone wanting to go on a 6 day bender with me?

Are we counting my last 5 days? Or are we starting from here? Maybe it would be best if I just started from here. Yeah, I feel better about that.