Upset over something I couldn't control

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoot3r

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple days ago, I received a call from one of my top schools asking why I had not replied to their interview invite that they sent in September. The reason was because I never ever received it. Had I did, I would have had a pre-December interview, but now I have one in the new year. Does this affect my chances greatly? Had it not been my top choice, I wouldn't mind too much, but it is, and I feel like my chances have slipped. This is not the school's fault in any way shape or form, but it is sure frustrating because I really want to attend this school.

How badly will this affect my chances now?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Re-read your title. It wasn't within your control, accept that and move on. On the bright side, they didn't rescind their offer or anything.

Remember that tons of people get their acceptances post December/January, at just about every school. Heck, it was a good sign they offered you an invite back in September right? Well it's even better that they called you now to find out what happened! To me that says they want you, otherwise they could've just assumed you weren't interested and dumped your app. :)

Best of luck with your interview, I hope you stop worrying about it and just go in as if nothing happened.

Did the offer go to your junk mail folder or something? Also, knowing what school this is would help a lot. Each school's application process differs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did the offer go to your junk mail folder or something? Also, knowing what school this is would help a lot. Each school's application process differs.

No it did not. I received nothing, electronically or by snail mail.

Re-read your title. It wasn't within your control, accept that and move on. On the bright side, they didn't rescind their offer or anything.

Remember that tons of people get their acceptances post December/January, at just about every school. Heck, it was a good sign they offered you an invite back in September right? Well it's even better that they called you now to find out what happened! To me that says they want you, otherwise they could've just assumed you weren't interested and dumped your app. :)

Best of luck with your interview, I hope you stop worrying about it and just go in as if nothing happened.

Thanks for your feedback. I sure hope that this is how its panning out!

Sounds like UPenn. Their invite came to me 1 month post-postage. I interviewed mid december and was accepted, but declined them.

Its okay. With this whole application process, I have learned that I am far from perfect. Things don't don't always go as planned, but it still should work out. Everything happens for a reason, maybe down the line you wouldn't be satisfied there or maybe you will still get in. You never know with ivy league schools. Many don't fill up December 3rd, so you still have a shot. I know nothing anyone says will console you, but it is best not to dwell on it and move forward. Good luck and stay positive!