UQ-Ochsner 2018 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm just basing it off ochsner cohort numbers that I know. My year we had close to 100 start MS1 and less than 80 matched.

The year that was before me was similar scale with high 60s starting MS1 and 50 something matching in 2016.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I do expect those percentages to go down as things get more streamlined and they can afford to be pickier with who gets in.

Again I'm not trying to bash the program, just highlighting that a lot of what you need to do to succeed must be self driven.

Hi, 2018 applicant here with an interview lined up in August, still trying to decide if this program is right for me. Does anyone have any info about opportunities for away rotations?? I remember seeing something about the regular UQ program facilitating this but not sure about UQ-O and I can't find any discussion about it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the attrition is that high any more. We had 120 start 2015 and I think we're at 110ish. I think 5-10% is common. Some people just realize they don't like medicine. We had at least one just quit third year because it wasn't for them.

EMing did you just participate in tha 2017 match?

Having a hard time quoting on my phone for some reason.

Away rotations are doable but they can be very hard to set up. Some states do not take IMGs for student rotations. Some programs charge you thousands of dollars. But more as more people are doing aways now and it's getting them great results.

Sean - fair enough, I'm glad that's the trend you're seeing. And yes, I matched in the 2017 match.

Reactions: 2 users
Your quote of 10-20 percent attrition rate seems high. My understanding from phase 1 is that roughly 30 students from the 500+ take supplementary exams and that includes the entire class not just the ochsner cohort. So that would mean less than 30 students fail each semester after the supp passing rate is included. Factor in passing after repeating the semester, and it seems that the attrition rate would be far lower than your quoted numbers.
Hi, 2018 applicant here with an interview lined up in August, still trying to decide if this program is right for me. Does anyone have any info about opportunities for away rotations?? I remember seeing something about the regular UQ program facilitating this but not sure about UQ-O and I can't find any discussion about it!
You can get aways to many places. EMimg does raise a good point about programs taking IMG. Some don't and some do charge more - you just have to figure if that's for you. If we don't have an agreement with the institution, the admins are good at developing that - you just have to give them a good amount of time (few months notice)

Reactions: 1 users
Having a hard time quoting on my phone for some reason.

Away rotations are doable but they can be very hard to set up. Some states do not take IMGs for student rotations. Some programs charge you thousands of dollars. But more as more people are doing aways now and it's getting them great results.

Sean - fair enough, I'm glad that's the trend you're seeing. And yes, I matched in the 2017 match.
Hello, I'm an applicant to UQ-O and have a personal-ish question for you since I have an interest in EM and critical care and am really excited about the unique program at UQ-O.

During your residency interviews and as you look into the future as a practicing physician, are you proud that you attended UQ-O? As in, if a residency director or patient were to ask you what medical school you went to, would you be excited to say that you graduated from UQ or is this school more of a means to an MD for you?

Hi all! Haven't posted before but I've been following the thread so thanks for all the information you guys have provided. :)

I just received my acceptance on Monday night (much sooner than expected, fortunately) after interviewing a week and a half before (like @ATP to ADP ). I'm planning to attend so I'm excited! Not much else to add atm but thought I'd say hi and thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! It'll be a ton of fun

The breaks between semesters is time off. The break between MS1/MS2 most people spend on their electives.
Then of course, the time between MS2/MS3 people spend on the step.

Do we have access to a gym at UQ? Is so, is it included in our fees or do we have to pay for it?

Do we have access to a gym at UQ? Is so, is it included in our fees or do we have to pay for it?

There's a gym on campus at St. Lucia but you'll have to pay for it outside of what's included in any fees. There are numerous other gyms around Brisbane, some with better amenities and hours than others - there are a few 24 hour gyms, there's a climbing place, there's Crossfit boxes, pretty much whatever you're looking for, you can find it here. I've never used the UQ gym because I haven't lived near St. Lucia, but other people have and they seem to like it fine.

Does anyone know how the vacation time during the first two years at UQ work? Is that "true" time off or are there exams/electives scheduled during this time?

https://medicine-program.uq.edu.au/files/999/2017 MBBS and MD Calendar - website version.pdf

We get 2 weeks off between semester 1 and semester 2 and between semester 3 and 4 (but they don't guarantee the first week off, technically that falls under exam weeks but we usually are scheduled for all our exams in 1 week, thus having 2 full weeks free). Most people travel (Asia/Bali/New Zealand/ parts of Australia or go home. There's also a midsem break every semester which is a week long which some people go away for but they tend to schedule them before mid semester exams so its also used as a study week.

We lucked out this year because easter fell late, so we ended up having our mid semester break after exams, but that isn't typical. However, now that UQ is switching to the examsoft platform for delivering computer based exams, they may have more flexibility in scheduling exams (not relying on UQ central), and most people prefer to have the break after exams (which UQ SOM knows).

We get 12 weeks off after first year but Ochsner students are required to do 8 weeks of elective. So you still get roughly a month off even with elective commitments (this is when many people go home for Christmas or have family visit etc).

We get our exam timetables pretty late so its not easy to plan far in advance, just FYI. You just have to deal with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't need a gym for lifting or specific apparatus, there are tons of free small workout areas on the river which is also an amazing place to run. I pretty much ran between Teneriffe and South Bank every day. It was the best place I have ever had the opportunity to run.

Because UQ is ~6 months ahead of American medical schools, are UQ-O students done with year 4 earlier than the American schools? What is this time before match day that spring spent doing?

Whatever you want

Thank you guys for your helpful responses! I do have another question... I have seen some stuff floating around the internet that leads me to believe that many UQ-O students end up essentially teaching themselves the majority of material both for USMLE and uq exams. Is this true? I have no problem teaching myself, but it is a little cringy (to put it mildly) to think that I could be paying $70k a year to an institution just so I can skip lectures and learn on my own. Do most students feel this way?

Thank you guys for your helpful responses! I do have another question... I have seen some stuff floating around the internet that leads me to believe that many UQ-O students end up essentially teaching themselves the majority of material both for USMLE and uq exams. Is this true? I have no problem teaching myself, but it is a little cringy (to put it mildly) to think that I could be paying $70k a year to an institution just so I can skip lectures and learn on my own. Do most students feel this way?
Most students feel this way about every school. It's pervasive to the culture. You will never know enough from just class and I suppose in a way it's prepatory for the future. You won't have someone holding your hand like undergraduate and giving you exactly what's on everything exam. What's frustrating about UQ specifically is the types of questions they ask not the content. For example your first 2 years are always spent doing path and phys and anatomy. It's that then they'll throw questions on the exam about percentage chance of an event or something equally ridiculous and multiple sources will give anwsers that contradict each other and the test will have more than one of these as an option.

Agree with Sean. You ask most medical students anywhere and they will tell you they skip class because it is more efficient to study on their own. Lectures are a fairly antiquated form of delivering knowledge. If you have a good CBL tutor and clinical coach you will learn a lot from them in a small group setting. UQ's own model states that the lectures are only supposed to support the learning that is done in CBL and that it is a CBL driven curriculum (CBL being case based learning).

The fact that lectures are recorded means that most people do in fact skip. This allows you to not be tied down so much living near UQ for example, because there are fewer mandatory contact hours.

I watched every lecture recorded on faster speed, debatable how much I learned, but you will use a lot of the USMLE prep materials to study for UQ anyway because medicine is medicine and the USMLE prep materials are good.

Most people do like the path and histo tutorials, and the anatomy notes put together by UQ have always been excellent.

I think people expect more hand holding and delivery of knowledge but at the end of the day you just need to be an active participant in your own learning. This is medical school no one will spoon feed it to you. They will give you a framework and you need to solidify it. At the end of the day, I have 1 semester left in phase 1, and still feel that I've learned a ton here. Every semester I have built a better foundation of medicine.

To current student,
I know that medpath has average step 1 score for the program at about 225 ish.
1)What are some highs that you personally know for step 1 .
2) When you say away rotation you mean, phase 2 right. I thought the program insist that all the rotations are done in Ochsner clinic, someone please correct me , if am wrong

To current student,
I know that medpath has average step 1 score for the program at about 225 ish.
1)What are some highs that you personally know for step 1 .
2) When you say away rotation you mean, phase 2 right. I thought the program insist that all the rotations are done in Ochsner clinic, someone please correct me , if am wrong

All core rotations are done at Ochsner, but in 4th year you can do some away rotations to audition at other places. Not super well versed in this as I am still a phase 1 student.

Highest score I know of was a 260 last year.

Hello, I'm an applicant to UQ-O and have a personal-ish question for you since I have an interest in EM and critical care and am really excited about the unique program at UQ-O.

During your residency interviews and as you look into the future as a practicing physician, are you proud that you attended UQ-O? As in, if a residency director or patient were to ask you what medical school you went to, would you be excited to say that you graduated from UQ or is this school more of a means to an MD for you?

Hey sorry for the delay.

I am very proud to have gone to UQ-O. My experience was that PD were very interested to hear about the program when I went to conferences and talked to them. We also talked a lot about it while on my interviews. Once you take the time to explain that you basically take step 1 in Australia, but you do your clinical rotations at Ochsner (same hospital where LSU and Tulane kids rotate) they seem to be really positive. The issue is when you apply for residency via ERAS, most programs get close to a thousand, if not more, applications for 12 spots. One of the easiest ways for them to filter the number of students down is to click "no IMG" and use a Step 1 cut off score. That is the ONLY detriment to my experience at UQ-O, but it can be a large detriment and one people need to be made aware of.

Reactions: 2 users
Because UQ is ~6 months ahead of American medical schools, are UQ-O students done with year 4 earlier than the American schools? What is this time before match day that spring spent doing?

Remember that you graduate in November, but *hopefully* you will have interviews that take you into January of the following year. Then you will have February to June completely off - although when you match there are mountains of paperwork to do in the months of April and May.

There are 6 month research scholarship you can get through Ochsner, but those are getting increasingly competitive.

People travel, work short term jobs (uber, restaurant, etc). If your finances allow you most people try to do whatever you can that will help you chill out. Because we are off cycle our 3rd and 4th years are full on sprints, where as US MDs have a very relaxed 4th year. When I started the program I had lofty aspirations for my time off after 4th year. I ended up just getting in shape, spending time with my wife and dog, seeing family and friends that I didn't see at much, etc. It was very relaxing and I'm very happy I had the chance to completely recharge.

Agree with Sean. You ask most medical students anywhere and they will tell you they skip class because it is more efficient to study on their own. Lectures are a fairly antiquated form of delivering knowledge. If you have a good CBL tutor and clinical coach you will learn a lot from them in a small group setting. UQ's own model states that the lectures are only supposed to support the learning that is done in CBL and that it is a CBL driven curriculum (CBL being case based learning).

The fact that lectures are recorded means that most people do in fact skip. This allows you to not be tied down so much living near UQ for example, because there are fewer mandatory contact hours.

I watched every lecture recorded on faster speed, debatable how much I learned, but you will use a lot of the USMLE prep materials to study for UQ anyway because medicine is medicine and the USMLE prep materials are good.

Most people do like the path and histo tutorials, and the anatomy notes put together by UQ have always been excellent.

I think people expect more hand holding and delivery of knowledge but at the end of the day you just need to be an active participant in your own learning. This is medical school no one will spoon feed it to you. They will give you a framework and you need to solidify it. At the end of the day, I have 1 semester left in phase 1, and still feel that I've learned a ton here. Every semester I have built a better foundation of medicine.

Agree with this. What UQ teaches you and what's on USMLE overlaps at least 75%. The things you definitely need to learn on your own include Biochem, pharm, and micro specifically. You could probably through immunology and bio stats in there as well.

That being said, at other med schools in the US they have a phd in biochem come lecture and talk about their research. Same for pharm. That results in them talking way above your head and not learning much anyway (from my friends who went to UNC med school). There are plenty of video lectures floating around student hard drives that give you the content you need to slam the boards. But you do absolutely have to recognize that the really boring stuff will need to be self taught.

Not sure when they started requiring interviews, but if anyone here decided to fly into NOLA for the interview did you think it was worth it to go there in person??? Did you get a tour of some of the ochsner facilities or anything? I'd have to take time off work and the flights are looking kind of pricey so I am debating between that and skype

Away rotations are a case by case basis. I managed to do an "away" within the Ochsner system and got put one on one with an ED doc in Raceland, LA. I also got to do an away with the Indian Health Service in Alaska. A couple of students behind me have managed similar aways.

They do have an away for some students in Haiti and the Peds-Onc people have an away in India that they are working on. Non-Ochsner sponsored away rotations are possible but you will need a fair bit of legwork. It may get easier as more students start to do them though, a lot of the work is explaining who you are and what the UQ-Ochsner program is and arranging paperwork with UQ and with Ochsner and where it is you're going. I tell the students here to start working as soon as possible. Like if you have a year you still need to get started NOW if you want to go somewhere.

I am very proud that I went to UQ-O. Not everyone gets to do what we did, not every gets the experience we did. I got the impression it's not as wild as it used to be - which is a good thing - but I got excellent training and some really awesome stories out of it. If you're looking at going overseas I would recommend it. I wore my program pin to every residency interview I went to and I will wear the pin to every fellowship I go to. I wear the pin on my white coat every day that I wear one.

One of the heads of the school in New Orleans is a big time pulmonary critical care physician, and Ochsner has one of the best ICUs around, certainly in the region in terms of acuity and complexity. We don't have an EM program but rumor is that will change. The first graduating class has a PGY2 Pulm/CCM fellow who is still at Ochsner, the second class has one guy going for it and the third class is a guy who is doing applications now (Me)

Has anyone who had their interview already received an acceptance into the 2018 cohort? I was notified that my application is "still being considered" and I should have a final admission decision very soon. Anyone else in the same boat?

Has anyone who had their interview already received an acceptance into the 2018 cohort? I was notified that my application is "still being considered" and I should have a final admission decision very soon. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yeah I interviewed on February 23rd and got my acceptance May 18th. Got my COE mid June! They've been pretty quick on turnaround with me.

Also a pretty quick turnaround for me. I interviewed 6/22 (via skype) and received an acceptance on 6/30! I submitted my payment last week and waiting on the COE now.

Hey so I am interviewing in August at Oschner and have a few questions about applying.

The mobile site says minimum MCAT of 504 for first round pick and the regular website says you need 502, anyone know which is more UTD? I have 503 so was am quite anxious to know what the cut off is.

Second question is, the regular website says there will be interviews in September? I wanted to know if this is true because i could not schedule my interview for then but it might be better for me to go in September due to family obligations. Also if I did would I be risking giving up a spot in the class by pushing the interview back a month? Does anyone know an estimate of when the class will fill?

Hey so I am interviewing in August at Oschner and have a few questions about applying.

The mobile site says minimum MCAT of 504 for first round pick and the regular website says you need 502, anyone know which is more UTD? I have 503 so was am quite anxious to know what the cut off is.

Second question is, the regular website says there will be interviews in September? I wanted to know if this is true because i could not schedule my interview for then but it might be better for me to go in September due to family obligations. Also if I did would I be risking giving up a spot in the class by pushing the interview back a month? Does anyone know an estimate of when the class will fill?
I'm seeing 502 on my phone's mobile site, so who knows. I'm an applicant and retaking the mcat on 7/22 so hopefully it's 502! I remember when both sites said 504, so my guess for the discrepancy is due to AAMC updating the score curve recently, and that may have made the old 504/28 set by UQ a 502/28 after the AAMC adjustment?

I would definitely not push back the interview a month. The class is filled rolling admissions so the further you push back the interview the less likely you are to get accepted, september is late.

To current students ,
How easy is it to get research done with publication, posters, presentation and all that good stuff without being in the MPhil or Phd route. Just plain ol adding researching without the degrees (aka volunteers). It seems like this is very crucial to matching this days .
-Are the faculty receptive to UQ-O student specifically in Brisbane
-How long commitment do you need to get publications especially in Brisbane.
-what is the average no (publication, poster,presentation) UQ-O student get in Brisbane before moving to NOLA.
-What about research in NOLA.

To current students ,
How easy is it to get research done with publication, posters, presentation and all that good stuff without being in the MPhil or Phd route. Just plain ol adding researching without the degrees (aka volunteers). It seems like this is very crucial to matching this days .
-what is the average no (publication, poster,presentation) UQ-O student get in Brisbane before moving to NOLA.

Most people I know don't have time to do research in Brisbane. Med school is pretty time consuming as is. If you're keen then there are plenty of opportunities, but I wouldn't say its a must. In fact I don't know anyone personally that got published here, maybe a few presented at conferences out of the 100 plus here. They pretty much tell us to worry about our grades and STEP first. Some people do research over one of their 4 week observerships after first year, but that time alone usually isn't enough to get published unless you continue working throughout the year.

So I would say the average number of pub, poster, presentation UQ-O students get in Brisbane is 0 to answer your question. That being said, there are plenty of opportunities to do research in NOLA later on. Not sure how many people take advantage of that since I am still in second year.

To any current students or people in the know,
How is the student organizations and clubs scene for UQ-O students? I'm involved with medically related student orgs as an undergrad, but are these kinds of clubs popular among med students or seen as waste of time? For instance, is there a "pre-surgery club" or other "pre-specialty" clubs that students can get involved in and show interest towards their specialty of choice or enhance their residency app via connections within the group? Or are there any med student volunteer organizations that give the students a chance to get out in the community and do healthcare outreaches?

How is the student organizations and clubs scene for UQ-O students? I'm involved with medically related student orgs as an undergrad, but are these kinds of clubs popular among med students or seen as waste of time? For instance, is there a "pre-surgery club" or other "pre-specialty" clubs that students can get involved in and show interest towards their specialty of choice or enhance their residency app via connections within the group? Or are there any med student volunteer organizations that give the students a chance to get out in the community and do healthcare outreaches?
Yeah. There is a club for literally everything. Many have physicians from Ochsner involved as well.

Most people I know don't have time to do research in Brisbane. Med school is pretty time consuming as is. If you're keen then there are plenty of opportunities, but I wouldn't say its a must. In fact I don't know anyone personally that got published here, maybe a few presented at conferences out of the 100 plus here. They pretty much tell us to worry about our grades and STEP first. Some people do research over one of their 4 week observerships after first year, but that time alone usually isn't enough to get published unless you continue working throughout the year.

So I would say the average number of pub, poster, presentation UQ-O students get in Brisbane is 0 to answer your question. That being said, there are plenty of opportunities to do research in NOLA later on. Not sure how many people take advantage of that since I am still in second year.
Lots of opportunities in years 3 and 4 and a fair bit of people do get involved. I think more tend to do it after y3 since y3 tends to be much harder.

To current students ,

I am a second year that did research for one of my 4 week electives between 1st and second year. The project I helped out on is being submitted for publication soon, and I am continuing to help out on another project that will be submitted for publication by the end of the year. So I should be getting two publications from my research experiences here in Brisbane. I do understand that I am pretty lucky to be apart of a lab that publishes often. It might not be very common to get publications while you are here in Brisbane but I have heard of other people getting them as well, so it is definitely possible.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my questions! I have another one for any current students or people in the know, since I can't find this info online really. I understand that UQ med students are introduced to patient care and hospital training early on, but does this school have a simulation center with robot patients where students can practice medical skills like diagnosing heart murmurs or practice responding to emergency situations or skills like intubating? If so, is this training part of the weekly schedule or a supplement to the education?

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my questions! I have another one for any current students or people in the know, since I can't find this info online really. I understand that UQ med students are introduced to patient care and hospital training early on, but does this school have a simulation center with robot patients where students can practice medical skills like diagnosing heart murmurs or practice responding to emergency situations or skills like intubating? If so, is this training part of the weekly schedule or a supplement to the education?

During the first year my class was supposed to make two clinical visits to the hospital, one each semester. I forget the reason but we only made one visit in the second semester. To be honest it wasn't too beneficial. As far as simulation centers we don't have too much. There are various workshops you can sign up for during the first two years to learn different skills. During second year you learn to draw blood and insert an IV cannula on a fake arm. There is also an Advanced Life Support workshop where you learn to attach an AED, insert various airway tubes, and basic medications that should be given depending on what the ECG says. This workshop was very helpful and fun in my opinion, but it is not nearly as advanced as some of the simulation labs I have seen. During second year all of your clinical coaching is in the hospital. This means every week you will practice taking patient histories, and doing examinations on real patients in front of your clinical coach (who is a doctor). You are also expected to make a lot of visits to the hospital on your own to practice your examinations and patient histories. So while there is not a lot of simulation experience you have the ability to get a lot of clinical practice if you are proactive. If you want to work on murmurs just go to the cardio ward and ask if there are any good murmurs that you can listen to, and nurses/doctors are more than happy to help you out. This might be more beneficial than going to simulation labs because patients usually don't have textbook signs/symptoms. It would definitely be nice to have more access to simulation labs, but I have been told we will have plenty of chances to improve those skills in the future.

You practice a lot of your exam skills first and second year on each other and real patients.

Ochsner had a sim center to practice intubations and other skills third and fourth year.

You get a TON of hands on experience in Y3/4 anyway. Compared to some of the other students I have spoken with at other programs, it appears on par or above average.

For gross anatomy, approximately how many students are assigned per cadaver?

For gross anatomy, approximately how many students are assigned per cadaver?

Doesn't matter. You only use a full cadaver for the first 3 sessions of the gross anatomy course 1st semester. Usually its one cadaver per CBL group, so 10 people to it. After those sessions (which sort of just serve as an introduction to anatomy), you use a mix of pre-dissected cadaver body parts, both wet and plastinated (preserved), and plastic models depending on what you are studying each week, i.e. arm muscles, or brain etc so you'll never see that cadaver again. Theres usually plenty of specimens and models to go around.

There are clubs for everything you're interested in- including the entire UQ University clubs (mix of undergrad and grad students participating). That being said a lot of the medical clubs are designed to network with Australian physicians so I am not sure how beneficial they are for an Ochsner student returning to the states. A popular outreach club, is Teddy Bear hospital which is usually run by Ochsner students that has students going to local schools and teaching kids about health. I know the pre-surgery club runs workshops for suturing and has surgeons come in and give talks about their life, etc.

Doesn't matter. You only use a full cadaver for the first 3 sessions of the gross anatomy course 1st semester. Usually its one cadaver per CBL group, so 10 people to it. After those sessions (which sort of just serve as an introduction to anatomy), you use a mix of pre-dissected cadaver body parts, both wet and plastinated (preserved), and plastic models depending on what you are studying each week, i.e. arm muscles, or brain etc so you'll never see that cadaver again. Theres usually plenty of specimens and models to go around.
Thank you!

To current students ,

It’s very easy to complete research activities (publications including first author, presentations, posters, etc) provided you are able to prioritize your time. Step should be the #1 priority, followed by UQ curriculum, and then research. UQ is a major research institution and there are a plethora of opportunities to participate in research in any field. Check out the UQ Faculty of Medicine Student Research Portal website and you can browse projects that are currently available. I’ve been able to attach myself to a project which will garner 15+ publications plus additional posters and presentation opportunities with relatively minimal work. I’m doing this in addition to completing an MPhil and studying for Step 1. So it really depends on what type of person you are (forego social activities for studying/research), what your match interest is, and how well prepared you feel with UQ curriculum, and most importantly Step. The vast majority of Ochsner students do not start research until they are back in NoLa, however if you are interested in an ultra-competitive specialty you should definitely consider research in your desired field sooner than Phase 2. Research faculty is very receptive to Ochsner students (some of the clinical sites not so much). You are also able to do research for one of your 4 week observerships during the summer after Year 1. There is also a summer research scholarship available during the summer after Year 1 that has set time commitments (most are 20-30/week for 4-6 weeks). You get a weekly stipend of around $300 for these projects. You will also most likely get at least one publication/abstract as well as the opportunity to do a poster. If you have any more questions about research feel free to DM me. I’m doing quite a bit of research during Phase 1 and have a pretty good understanding of what research here entails.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Does anyone know if the the $3,000 deposit is binding? Or, is the confirmation of enrollment 4-6 weeks after the deposit binding of our attendance?

COE is binding. Thats why it is called a confirmation of enrollment.

Do you know how fast we have to return our COE?

Not really sure what you mean by "binding". Technically paying a deposit secures your seat in the class, this is reflected in the COE that is sent to you a few weeks after deposit confirming enrollment. Are you free to change your mind and not attend ? Sure, no one is forcing you to go, so I'm not sure what you mean by binding.

Why would you have to return your COE ? it is your certificate of enrollment that the school sends you lol.