UQ-Ochsner 2021 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In the Enrolment and timetable page the downloadable Excel spreadsheet, Microbiology, Procedural Skills Workshop and Clinical Coaching are not included in any Online CBL pathway. The first two make sense since they sound in-person dependent, but the absence of microbio is a bit concerning.

Members don't see this ad.

In the Enrolment and timetable page the downloadable Excel spreadsheet, Microbiology, Procedural Skills Workshop and Clinical Coaching are not included in any Online CBL pathway. The first two make sense since they sound in-person dependent, but the absence of microbio is a bit concerning.
Maybe it's a lab class? In that case we'd probably have to make it up somehow once we get there

Screenshot_20210107-191103.png

Looks like we're not going to 🇦🇺🦘🐨 anytime soon especially with the new variant detected in Qld. They've implemented a 3 day lockdown after 9 oversea arrivals tested positive in hotel quarantine on Jan 8th. Qld has averaged 1.3 COVID+ cases from oversea arrivals between Jan 1 and Jan 7.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah definitely not in the next few weeks, Queensland has limited the number of overseas arrival per week to 500 (50% of current) until Feb 15.

This article anticipates half of all Australians could be vaccinated by the middle of 2020: Half of Australian population could get COVID vaccine by middle of the year

If that's true, I'm not sure how that will affect our ability to enter before semester 2. I think in the end it's going to be up to UQ to advocate for us, I don't think the country's going to be open generally to international students at that point although I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Re: the courses Timetable

Does anyone know if the HSR, Physio Lab (wk 4,5,6), and Multidisciplinary practice are online components/delivery that we'll partake in?

Screenshot_20210108-155509.png

I'm looking at the first page of the excel and didn't notice a check+* next to MD Multidisciplinary Practice column or physiology lab. And not sure how the light orange HSR block differs from the MEDI7101 HSR 1 lecture--at least for online delivery.

Would greatly appreciate it anyone can shed light on these :]

Re: the courses Timetable

Does anyone know if the HSR, Physio Lab (wk 4,5,6), and Multidisciplinary practice are online components/delivery that we'll partake in?

View attachment 326925

I'm looking at the first page of the excel and didn't notice a check+* next to MD Multidisciplinary Practice column or physiology lab. And not sure how the light orange HSR block differs from the MEDI7101 HSR 1 lecture--at least for online delivery.

Would greatly appreciate it anyone can shed light on these :]
So I have no idea, but I talked about it with some people. It seems like the only things that are missing from our online is PSW, micro, and anything related to clinical coaching. I'm assuming this means one of two things. Either those are the classes that will not be available for us and the rest they found a way to do online, or they are still messing with the schedule. Given that the schedule has changed the past few days. Either is a probability. I was going to ask questions about this in the third town hall if they don't address it. Also I think the colors are just to help distinguish between different classes? Unsure though

On the topic of enrollment, I emailed UQ but was told to await further information on Monday's webinar.

In the meantime, do you know if enrollment and timetable selection are simultaneous or if we have to enroll first then select a pathway? The requirements have been scattered all over the place and things are unclear to me.

my,UQ > mySI-net > Tasks and Messages > Add Course
1610226229106.png

my.UQ > My Timetable
1610226474850.png

You should enroll in classes now. Are you in the Facebook group? Someone posted an awesome guide showing how to enroll on December 6th, look for the PDF attachment. If you can't find it then I can post a quick overview, just let me know!

@Wolvvs Thanks for the tip, I found the document and am now enrolled.

I'm not sure if it is due to being newly enrolled, but I noticed we have access to the UQ library resources. It's pretty dope.

@Wolvvs Thanks for the tip, I found the document and am now enrolled.

I'm not sure if it is due to being newly enrolled, but I noticed we have access to the UQ library resources. It's pretty dope.
Great, glad you got that all sorted out! And the library access is definitely new, at least within the last week I was still getting messages that my account wasn't authorized. It really is cool what they give us access to, looks like we have the exams from 2017 and 2018 which should help a ton!

Great, glad you got that all sorted out! And the library access is definitely new, at least within the last week I was still getting messages that my account wasn't authorized. It really is cool what they give us access to, looks like we have the exams from 2017 and 2018 which should help a ton!
@Wolvvs how do access the resources in the library such as the old exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
So they just released the orientation schedule and jeez it's brutal for us on the east coast. It goes until 2 am.

Here's my notes from the webinar if anyone missed it. Kind of long this time! Please feel free to fill in the gaps if I've missed anything.

Exemptions:

A few students have been successful at gaining exemptions via personal means. Priority for the school is M3 and M4 so we need to be patient. Regarding exemption letters, UQ is working with the department of home affairs. The exemption route is open, but UQ has had a discussion with the government and will not be able to have an impact on this process for years 1 and 2. We will need to qualify for an exemption through one of the approved categories to get an exemption. So most of us will need to wait for the work UQ is doing on the secure corridor.

The international student community is important to government, and UQ has been advocating at the highest possible level for managed corridors and work is in progress on a larger scale program. Plans have been submitted, there's public support from the government but timing is an issue--when this might start. There's a difficult balance. Please be patient but they remain cautiously optimistic that things will get moving in time for semester 1. Be ready to jump on the plane immediately, so have everything already prepared. This might not be through a commercial airline so we need to have visa/everything else ready to go. Hope to have another update in the next couple of weeks.

Prof Amedee discussed vaccination status, right now this is not enough to get you into Australia (he's immunized as well and is also unable to enter Australia). Vaccination status is unlikely to have an impact on ability to enter the country, as vaccination provides self-protection but we don't know if vaccinated individuals will still be able to spread the disease so quarantine will likely be required if we enter at any point during Semester 1.

Online learning:

Preferred mode of teaching is in person as much informal learning happens with peers/tutors/staff. But the course coordinators did learn a lot from online learning in previous semesters. All lectures will be run via zoom. Once the application for online learning is approved you can preference an online CBL. Every week there will be 2 CBL sessions of 10-12 students working through series of cases where we apply what we're learning through lectures to clinical practice. Practicals will not be available for online learners but drop in sessions with staff will be available, and support for catching up will be provided. Anything that absolutely must be in person will be presented in Semester 2. Online CBL sessions will consist of online students only.

Orientation week will start 1/25 (Tuesday of that week is a holiday). Online students will participate as much as possible. Link to schedule was sent to UQ email. All sessions will be recorded in case you're unable to attend all of them. They did reiterate that orientation is mandatory, so I'm not 100% how to read this.

Make sure you're enrolled in all 4 courses. Ensure application is complete for online learning, due close of business tomorrow. Make sure you've applied for student visa, and regularly check UQ email address. Blue card is in-person only.

Ochsner information:

Contingency visits to NOLA will commence 3/8 and will extend through 4/9. There will be 5 seperate visits (one for each society) 3 days each. These will be optional, and the student will need to fund travel. There will be a tour, simulations, CBLs, workshops, tutorials with clinicians. This is in preparation for Brisbane and is not a substitute. Visits will occur Wed-Fri, and will consist of 3 full days. More info to come.

Ochsner is distributing 10K vaccines per day. M3 and M4 students all were vaccinated (which is actually really awesome and is concrete evidence of strong support from Ochsner administration, as many US schools are not providing vaccines to their students in 3rd and 4th year). I did feel a sense of frustration from Prof. Amedee though, and I think it's because he's not in a position to implement any changes that would help students unable to get to Brisbane by semester 2. He said that we're in the privileged position of being medical students during a time when the study of medicine is so exciting, and in the midst of a massive increase in applications we've already got a seat at the table even if we do have to defer a year. (Warning: my own personal opinion ahead) I absolutely get where he's coming from, but given this is one of if not the most expensive medical programs in the US, I do feel we should be able to ask questions about the direction the program is heading. I can understand the frustration of wanting to help but being unable to do anything though--we're really at the mercy of the Australian government!

Q/A:
  • Regarding the tuition fee reduction of 12.5% for online students, eligibility will be assessed using the information available from the Department of Home Affairs, and the rebate will be applied provisionally and reviewed at the fees due date.
  • Immunization upload form will be sent to all students today.
  • The catch-up process will vary depending on when students arrive/what they've missed/what students feel they may be lacking. So it's hard to give info about this now, but will be tailored to individual needs. Anatomy, histology, pathology teams have refined process for online learning. We should get into the semester, see how it goes and see what catch-up might be required.
  • In person classes can not be made up at Ochsner as they are a clinical school. Faculty and facilities to teach basic sciences are not available at Ochsner.
  • Societies have already been assigned. We will get more info probably this week, and should hear from the head of the society by next Tuesday.
  • Key textbooks/resources: check UQ library as a lot is already available online for free. Check before buying anything, and wait until after orientation.

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of how to apply for online learning? Having trouble finding the link... thank you!!

Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of how to apply for online learning? Having trouble finding the link... thank you!!

It was in the email sent 12/4

I emailed Student Fees re: the 12.5% rebate and here's their reply for those interested:

"For general information on the rebate please refer to the University's webpage on the Offshore Online Study Tuition Fee Rebate.

The UQ COVID-19 Offshore Online Study Tuition Fee Rebate (The Rebate) will be applied automatically for eligible students after the fees due date (5 March 2021).

After the Rebate has been applied to your student account a ‘Waived International Tuition’ amount will be seen in your Financial Home Page in mySI-net.

If your Student Account is in credit, you can choose to keep the funds in your Student Account for a future study period or apply for a refund via the Student Fee Refund Form in my.UQ > My Requests.

If you haven’t seen the rebate applied by the fees due date, please let us know and we’ll investigate for you.

If you have further questions about fees, please don't hesitate to email [email protected]."

The CBL groups are available in My Timetable! I don't think you can see who's in your group yet, but at least the schedule is available.

I know this is a tangent but if I was given an A to a very new DO school (CHSU-COM) should I be taking that instead of UQ-O (which I already paid the tuition for and is a well established school). I'm sorry this is such a tangent but I was wondering if someone could provide me with input as I am at a lost and quite anxious haha

Did you pay the deposit or full tuition/how much of a refund can you get?

Is your goal to stay in California? Going to school there will give you a bit of an edge. It's certainly possible to go to California from UQO but you'll have to work for it. Probably the same could be said for a new DO school.

How much are you worried about the impact of a potential delay? At CHSU you won't need to worry about delaying a year.

I think you also need to look at your reasons for choosing UQO. Did you chose it as an alternative to a US school because you weren't able to get in, or did you choose it because you really like a specific component/want to study in Australia? What does your support system look like--will going to CHSU mean you can stay closer to family/friends, or were you particularly excited to change things up completely and study in a different country?

Hopefully others can jump in as well. You could try posting at the Help Me Decide forum, but they're generally very quick to say DO>IMG and may not consider the intricacy of new DO school without a track record vs established but international school.

Reactions: 2 users
I know this is a tangent but if I was given an A to a very new DO school (CHSU-COM) should I be taking that instead of UQ-O (which I already paid the tuition for and is a well established school). I'm sorry this is such a tangent but I was wondering if someone could provide me with input as I am at a lost and quite anxious haha
It's definitely a tough choice. I would take a few things into consideration personally:

Location: if your goal is to match in california, new mexico, arizona, or most of the southern west coast, CHSU probably has the advantage. Especially if you plan to work with hispanic populations or the valley because if I'm not wrong CHSU requires medical spanish and is located in the valley. However, if you care less about where you want to match but you want to have a global experience or you want to be near the southeast it would be better to go UQ ochsner. They have matched in cali too, so it's not an abysmal chance there.

Student review: okay this one might be hard because I think you'd be the second class for CHSU? Regardless try to see if the first years have encountered any growing pains so far (they most likely will have as most new schools experience this) and see if it's something you're willing to deal with. This would be compared to ochsner which has a pretty good track record from it's students, but has some issues itself for example the situation we are in right now.

Loans: I imagine that for CHSU since they're so new, you'd have to take private loans ( I'm basing this on icom, where students had to do that), but I imagine it would be cheaper than UQ. At UQ they do overshoot how much financial aid you'll actually need it seems, but still if you take all the assistance that's nearly 100k per year.

New updates: How would Step 1 becoming pass/fail affect each school? Admittedly, this is something no one can really know, but you'd have to take your best guess as to who it'll affect more and whether it's worth it to you.

Personal reasons: you know yourself better than anyone. Do you need to live close to home for support? Are you okay with going all the way to Australia? Do you really want to travel or are you using UQ as a backup? All of this and more are things you need to ask yourself.

I was facing a similar decision with a couple of do schools vs UQ and I chose uq, so if you want more info feel free to DM. Also sorry if I'm incorrect on anything, dont really have time to fact check right now. Whichever choice you make, best of luck to you!

Edit: also I think you're talking about the deposit right? I heard you might be able to get that back if you decide to not go to uq-o, but not entirely sure about that

Edit 2:
Research, Clinical opportunities, and other ECs: With Step 1 becoming p/f and the MD/DO merger, there's going to be more emphasis on differentiating yourself. You'd want to make sure that CHSU has enough opportunities for you to do that, whether it is through doing something clinically, through research, or through something else. Just make sure its something you would enjoy doing and something that'd make you stand out!

Last edited:
Did you pay the deposit or full tuition/how much of a refund can you get?

Is your goal to stay in California? Going to school there will give you a bit of an edge. It's certainly possible to go to California from UQO but you'll have to work for it. Probably the same could be said for a new DO school.

How much are you worried about the impact of a potential delay? At CHSU you won't need to worry about delaying a year.

I think you also need to look at your reasons for choosing UQO. Did you chose it as an alternative to a US school because you weren't able to get in, or did you choose it because you really like a specific component/want to study in Australia? What does your support system look like--will going to CHSU mean you can stay closer to family/friends, or were you particularly excited to change things up completely and study in a different country?

Hopefully others can jump in as well. You could try posting at the Help Me Decide forum, but they're generally very quick to say DO>IMG and may not consider the intricacy of new DO school without a track record vs established but international school.
Haha sorry, I basically said the same thing as you 😂

How hard one needs to work to achieve the end goal, which in your case (I presume) is matching in the US, doesn't need to be a significant concern for your decision. You'll have to push hard wherever you decide to go.

Also, CHSU being a newer onshore DO school and UQ-O being an established offshore MD school tailored to matching applicants back home kinda balances out the advantages and disadvantages for matching. But as the competitiveness of your intended specialty rises, I think the importance of staying onshore also increases.

If you're undecided then I say go with financials, family, and whether or not you're interested in exploring/staying in Australia.

Thank you everyone so much for the responses! This has been very helpful. I really appreciate each and every one of you! And actually I received an email from the financial aid office that credit card payments were due the 18th January 2021 in order for my loan to be disbursed so I paid the first semester invoice already?! Did I misunderstand the email oops!? But yes regardless I really appreciate everyone for taking the time to break things down for me. Much love

Thank you everyone so much for the responses! This has been very helpful. I really appreciate each and every one of you! And actually I received an email from the financial aid office that credit card payments were due the 18th January 2021 in order for my loan to be disbursed so I paid the first semester invoice already?! Did I misunderstand the email oops!? But yes regardless I really appreciate everyone for taking the time to break things down for me. Much love
Credit card payments were due that day but I think most people will be paying by loans, which will be disbursed first day of classes. I don't know the refund policy but I think you can still get that money back?

Personally I would choose UQ-O over a new DO school. New DO schools with no track record are not very appealing and I doubt would match any better than UQ-O. That being said I'm biased having graduated from UQ-O.

It also depends on a few other factors- Namely is being close to family/support with CHSU-COM important and how flexible are you ? Do you want the adventure ? With UQO there's the whole getting into Australia issue at the moment although I do feel that 1 semester of med school being done online is not much of a detriment in fact it's probably more appealing being able to spend that time studying from the comfort of home.

Personally I would choose UQ-O over a new DO school. New DO schools with no track record are not very appealing and I doubt would match any better than UQ-O. That being said I'm biased having graduated from UQ-O.

It also depends on a few other factors- Namely is being close to family/support with CHSU-COM important and how flexible are you ? Do you want the adventure ? With UQO there's the whole getting into Australia issue at the moment although I do feel that 1 semester of med school being done online is not much of a detriment in fact it's probably more appealing being able to spend that time studying from the comfort of home.
Hey mcat_taker, I had a question. Don't want to get too far off topic but it looks like I can't PM you so I'll just ask it here. In the UQO 2022 cohort thread someone mentioned that in their year ~20% of the class was unable to progress from phase 1 to phase 2 because they didn't qualify to take Step 1. I wanted to ask if that was your experience as well or if it may have been something specific to that particular class. Thanks so much!

Hey mcat_taker, I had a question. Don't want to get too far off topic but it looks like I can't PM you so I'll just ask it here. In the UQO 2022 cohort thread someone mentioned that in their year ~20% of the class was unable to progress from phase 1 to phase 2 because they didn't qualify to take Step 1. I wanted to ask if that was your experience as well or if it may have been something specific to that particular class. Thanks so much!
Ditto this question

Ditto this question
This may be because of the rule that you must be enrolled both when registering and when taking the test. If someone opted to defer for a year due to COVID, they may not have been able to take Step 1 - despite having done both their preclinical years.

Not sure as I am not part of that cohort. When I transitioned from phase 1 to phase 2 there was no sit step 1 to progress rule in place so students could progress to phase 2 without a score. They started implementing it in subsequent classes. My understanding is that it hasn't been a huge issue as the classes have gotten academically stronger with each passing year as admission requirements went up and most people were getting step 1 done on time but I am not an expert on the 2022 cohort or what specifically happened there. I find it hard to believe that 20% didn't progress but who knows how COVID affected things.

I am a current phase 1 student and I just wanted to put in my two cents for you guys:

1. Do not trust that UQ will support or advocate for you. As you may have seen in other threads and/or reddit, they gave specific advice in writing and the went back on their word. This has screwed many internationals and has extremely severe consequences pertaining to student loans, VISAs, healthcare coverage, years of lost income. There have been many viable workarounds proposed that UQ refuses to even consider. They have been talking about a "secure corridor" to get stranded abroad students back into Australia since JULY 2020. There has been no movement. They will not even provide letters of support. Your only chance to get back is the border reopening. It is very likely that the Year 1s this year will be deferred after semester 1.

2. If you are accepted to any U.S. MD or DO school, definitely go there over UQ. It shouldn't even be a question.

3. International students are purely cash cows to them. They do not respect you. I know we are all driven by our passion to practice medicine, but I highly recommend trying to get into a US school. The quality of education here is lacking, everything will fall on you and using third party resources.

I have major regrets about this school. It brings me no pleasure to write something negative about them, I am just really disappointed and expected more from this school. I hope this information helps people who are still on the fence or trying to make a decision. I know I would have appreciated insight like this when I was making my decision about this school.

I am a current phase 1 student and I just wanted to put in my two cents for you guys:

1. Do not trust that UQ will support or advocate for you. As you may have seen in other threads and/or reddit, they gave specific advice in writing and the went back on their word. This has screwed many internationals and has extremely severe consequences pertaining to student loans, VISAs, healthcare coverage, years of lost income. There have been many viable workarounds proposed that UQ refuses to even consider. They have been talking about a "secure corridor" to get stranded abroad students back into Australia since JULY 2020. There has been no movement. They will not even provide letters of support. Your only chance to get back is the border reopening. It is very likely that the Year 1s this year will be deferred after semester 1.

2. If you are accepted to any U.S. MD or DO school, definitely go there over UQ. It shouldn't even be a question.

3. International students are purely cash cows to them. They do not respect you. I know we are all driven by our passion to practice medicine, but I highly recommend trying to get into a US school. The quality of education here is lacking, everything will fall on you and using third party resources.

I have major regrets about this school. It brings me no pleasure to write something negative about them, I am just really disappointed and expected more from this school. I hope this information helps people who are still on the fence or trying to make a decision. I know I would have appreciated insight like this when I was making my decision about this school.

I want to preface this response by saying it sucks to be an international student anywhere during this pandemic. I do believe the university's hands are legitimately tied due to the federal government's rules and regulations. The school doesn't want to lose their international students. But at the end of the day no other country has gone quite so far in restricting movement across its own borders due to the pandemic. Yes I agree with you the school probably botched whatever advice they gave students in writing before knowing what they would and wouldn't be able to achieve in regards to international travel. I'm sure they regret putting out that piece of advice prematurely.

Could they have done more regarding achieving a fully online curriculum for international students? Maybe but there are probably a number of academics there that believe that the medical program would not be the same or up to standard if year 2 students were doing online classes vs in person. There are lots of assessments done at UQ that are based on in person examinations.

There is probably a regulatory component as well with the AMC that stipulates a set number of in person contact hours for the program to be considered accredited.

Tons of people choose UQO over DO schools. DO schools are opening up so many substandard programs all over the country. You can read all about their issues on those specific forums including how screwed they will be with a P/F step 1. Those newer DO schools are strictly for profit and don't care about their students. But you can't really compare being stuck during a pandemic and not being able to get to your international school vs being in your home country's medical schools. During phase 1 I had the best time being able to travel around, socialize with new friends, and study medicine at my own pace with very few onerous in person requirements. In fact it was the most attractive thing about the program.

Everything falling on you to using third party resources to learn ? That is literally the reason step 1 went pass fail -- because students in every U.S. school had zero interest learning their school's curriculum everything was about the exam score and people didn't go to class. That is medical education in the 21st century. Not relying on outdated lectures at specific times but using world class resources elsewhere to learn what you need to. Medical education anywhere is largely self driven. Everyone was using third party resources to game step 1 and not focusing on anything else.

It is difficult to fully appreciate the full scope of the education while in phase 1. Phase 2 is so much better that it makes phase 1 specific headaches a distant memory once you get to Nola. You will have a better chance to reflect on everything the good and the bad once you finish phase 2.

I want to preface this response by saying it sucks to be an international student anywhere during this pandemic. I do believe the university's hands are legitimately tied due to the federal government's rules and regulations. The school doesn't want to lose their international students. But at the end of the day no other country has gone quite so far in restricting movement across its own borders due to the pandemic. Yes I agree with you the school probably botched whatever advice they gave students in writing before knowing what they would and wouldn't be able to achieve in regards to international travel. I'm sure they regret putting out that piece of advice prematurely.

Could they have done more regarding achieving a fully online curriculum for international students? Maybe but there are probably a number of academics there that believe that the medical program would not be the same or up to standard if year 2 students were doing online classes vs in person. There are lots of assessments done at UQ that are based on in person examinations.

There is probably a regulatory component as well with the AMC that stipulates a set number of in person contact hours for the program to be considered accredited.

Tons of people choose UQO over DO schools. DO schools are opening up so many substandard programs all over the country. You can read all about their issues on those specific forums including how screwed they will be with a P/F step 1. Those newer DO schools are strictly for profit and don't care about their students. But you can't really compare being stuck during a pandemic and not being able to get to your international school vs being in your home country's medical schools. During phase 1 I had the best time being able to travel around, socialize with new friends, and study medicine at my own pace with very few onerous in person requirements. In fact it was the most attractive thing about the program.

Everything falling on you to using third party resources to learn ? That is literally the reason step 1 went pass fail -- because students in every U.S. school had zero interest learning their school's curriculum everything was about the exam score and people didn't go to class. That is medical education in the 21st century. Not relying on outdated lectures at specific times but using world class resources elsewhere to learn what you need to. Medical education anywhere is largely self driven. Everyone was using third party resources to game step 1 and not focusing on anything else.

It is difficult to fully appreciate the full scope of the education while in phase 1. Phase 2 is so much better that it makes phase 1 specific headaches a distant memory once you get to Nola. You will have a better chance to reflect on everything the good and the bad once you finish phase 2.
I am offering my perspective. I chose this school over DO myself. The school has not taken accountability or even acknowledged the "botched advice" they gave. People's livelihoods are at stake. Students didn't leave to go dick around...family members were dying, people were getting sick. You have not sat in these meetings with the Faculty or listened to the stories of how this has affected the internationals stranded abroad. The lack of empathy and dismissal of concerns is astounding. Like I said, workarounds were proposed to meet the AMC requirements. The Year 1 & 2 students last year were able to study online for most of semester 1 and all of semester 2 and fulfill AMC requirements through catch up. I understand that the government lockdown is out of their control, but there are things in their control that could save students from so much pain.

As for the quality of teaching, I find it very disorganized and I actually use third party resources to study for UQ exams. My grades improved significantly once I stopped trying to learn from UQ lectures. These are all my own personal experiences. I believe you are not a student right now so maybe things were different/better for you back in school. UQ implemented a mandatory attendance policy so we didn't have much time to travel and socialize like you did. Please don't minimize the experiences of current students. It took a lot for me to even consider writing this, I only did it because I would want to know these things as a prospective student.

• Wow
All of medicine is basically self taught with some clinical and practical stuff sprinkled in the picture to make sure you are hearing and seeing and doing the right things for physical exams. This is not unique to UQ. Additionally there was always an attendance policy for the CBLs. They were 2 days a week. It’s not like you can just travel all over and not be there 2 days every week.

I am offering my perspective. I chose this school over DO myself. The school has not taken accountability or even acknowledged the "botched advice" they gave. People's livelihoods are at stake. Students didn't leave to go dick around...family members were dying, people were getting sick. You have not sat in these meetings with the Faculty or listened to the stories of how this has affected the internationals stranded abroad. The lack of empathy and dismissal of concerns is astounding. Like I said, workarounds were proposed to meet the AMC requirements. The Year 1 & 2 students last year were able to study online for most of semester 1 and all of semester 2 and fulfill AMC requirements through catch up. I understand that the government lockdown is out of their control, but there are things in their control that could save students from so much pain.

As for the quality of teaching, I find it very disorganized and I actually use third party resources to study for UQ exams. My grades improved significantly once I stopped trying to learn from UQ lectures. These are all my own personal experiences. I believe you are not a student right now so maybe things were different/better for you back in school. UQ implemented a mandatory attendance policy so we didn't have much time to travel and socialize like you did. Please don't minimize the experiences of current students. It took a lot for me to even consider writing this, I only did it because I would want to know these things as a prospective student.
It’s time to get the word out on these sleazy Aussie institutions. China has finally had the guts to warn their students unfortunately the US government chooses not to protect its own citizens from foreign predators like the Australian educational sector that seems to have found a new cash cow in the American student who has access to student loans. I personally will be petitioning us Congress and senate members to hold these criminals accountable. We have to start launching class action lawsuits not just against these greasy Australian universities but also their US enablers like the Oschner medical center that give them legitimacy. Enough is enough, it’s time to fight back.

• Okay...
So is the current Term 1 getting deferred? Due to Covid and UQ ultimatum? Sucks if it happens
If you mean class starting 2021, no we're proceeding normally. We just have to get into Australia by the end of the year, and I think that's reasonable.

If you mean class starting 2021, no we're proceeding normally. We just have to get into Australia by the end of the year, and I think that's reasonable.

@Wolvvs I heard that if you can't make it to oz for semester 2 in person you have to defer until next year and do an MPH in the meantime. What do you think most of your class will do ?

@Wolvvs I heard that if you can't make it to oz for semester 2 in person you have to defer until next year and do an MPH in the meantime. What do you think most of your class will do ?
They actually changed that recently! It turned out that engagement in online lectures and other stuff is actually really high because of the ability to ask questions in chat without interrupting the lecture and have other students answer the questions/have discussions. It's hard to get that in a live lecture, and over 2/3 of the whole class (and I think most of the online students) have been attending in real time rather than watching the recordings. I think the school's really happy with that.

But on the other hand, it's impossible to learn aspects of clinical practice online (so far we've had to skip BP and percussion for the CV exam). So the compromise was that they'll allow online study for semester 2 as well but won't be able to support online study for year 2. They'll also require supplemental catch-up sessions to cover stuff we missed due to being remote. Overall I think this makes much more sense and I'm hopeful we'll be able to make it there in time.

In the worst case, though, if we do have do defer or exit, my sense is that most people would defer and complete the public health certificate because we've already got enough debt that it's hard to justify quitting. Hopefully that doesn't happen though--it would be a logistical nightmare for both our class and the class starting next year when it comes to 3rd and 4th year.

They actually changed that recently! It turned out that engagement in online lectures and other stuff is actually really high because of the ability to ask questions in chat without interrupting the lecture and have other students answer the questions/have discussions. It's hard to get that in a live lecture, and over 2/3 of the whole class (and I think most of the online students) have been attending in real time rather than watching the recordings. I think the school's really happy with that.

But on the other hand, it's impossible to learn aspects of clinical practice online (so far we've had to skip BP and percussion for the CV exam). So the compromise was that they'll allow online study for semester 2 as well but won't be able to support online study for year 2. They'll also require supplemental catch-up sessions to cover stuff we missed due to being remote. Overall I think this makes much more sense and I'm hopeful we'll be able to make it there in time.

In the worst case, though, if we do have do defer or exit, my sense is that most people would defer and complete the public health certificate because we've already got enough debt that it's hard to justify quitting. Hopefully that doesn't happen though--it would be a logistical nightmare for both our class and the class starting next year when it comes to 3rd and 4th year.
That's really good to hear. My friends UMel will have to defer probably for Term 2 due to practical requirements :/

Last edited:
  • Sad

Just wondering; do you have the option to defer for Term2 or is it mandatory to continue online?

Just wondering; do you have the option to defer for Term2 or is it mandatory to continue online?
I believe we still have the option to defer. I don't think any sizable number of people are planning to take that option as we would need to start paying loans back and delaying by a year isn't ideal. I also think there's a very good chance we can get in by the end of the year (and it's still possible we can get in before semester 2 given we can probably get vaccinated before then).

Interesting. Although you miss a year of living in Australia unfortunately which was such a great aspect of the program.

Yea lecture attendance historically has been very poor over the first 2 years so it’s interesting to see such high turnout. Lectures in nola in third and fourth year are mandatory but are always very good.

Does anyone know if this program shows preference for residents of certain states over others?

Does anyone know if this program shows preference for residents of certain states over others?
They say that their mission is to provide health care professionals that serve the Gulf Coast region. But from what I can tell, most of my classmates are from Cali or NY. Probably just due to volume of applicants.

To my knowledge, not at the moment. This program gets relatively few applications compared to US MD programs. They don't really advertise themselves so not many people are aware of this program and only a specific type of student is willing to go all the way to Australia for 2 years. I think as time goes by, if the match quality continues to be as good as it has been and awareness of it grows, this program is going to become more competitive.

I do think people from the area around Ochsner/who want to match in that area are more likely to apply though, and it's possible that over time the program will start to prefer students from that area. I don't really know though!

Also for those that don't know the match was very good this year. 97% match rate. We had a couple very strong matches for example neurosurgery and ortho again for the 2nd year in a row (and not at Ochsner) and Vascular surgery. Matches at Stanford, Brown, Dartmouth. Ochsner again showing a nice preference to in house candidates for IM and Anesthesia as is typical each year. And lots of people interested in primary care with a strong FM match as well.